Worst EU Author

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who is the WORST EU Author?

Poll ended at 2007-12-19 12:09am

K J Asshole
34%
Mike Hackpole
2%
Barbara "What the Fuck is This Shit" Hambly
14%
Karen Travissty
47%
Other
3%

Total votes: 118

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well... The way I see it, Anderson's ideas were good (cut down deathstar on a budget? Cool. Hidden admiral loyal to Tarkin, cool) but very poorly excecuted. Traviss's ideas are fundamentally flawed (BUSHFIRE WAR! A TINY NUMBER OF CLONES SCOOT AROUND THE GALAXY FIGHTING A WAR THAT IS OF NO REAL SIGNIFICANCE TO THE AVERAGE BEING...)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

KJA gets my vote because I have read more of his stuff that I didn't like than anyone else's. Tales of the Bounty Hunters was the most boring novel I have ever read. It just put me to sleep... :?
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Travissty, and the fucking Moose she rode in on. I can't put it any better than 18-Till-I-Die did.

Except to say, Traviss, you fucking cunt, you actually suck worse than KJA. I never thought anyone could accomplish such a feat.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Traviss.

I actually like Stackpole, and consider I, Jedi to be one of my favorite EU books. KJAs original Jedi Academy trilogy is tolerable, and he hasn't gone ballistic over errors in his work pointed out like Traviss did.

I know too little about the other authors to comment.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Lord Poe wrote:Travissty, and the fucking Moose she rode in on. I can't put it any better than 18-Till-I-Die did.

Except to say, Traviss, you fucking cunt, you actually suck worse than KJA. I never thought anyone could accomplish such a feat.
Jeez, Poe! You must really hate all women equally. What made you such a mysogynist?

Edit: I have to agree with the above on 'I, Jedi'. I just look at it as a SW-EU version of batman, and it all makes sense.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I voted for Traviss. Hard Contact was very good, then she went nuts as has been said much already. KJA may be a worse author from a technical standpoint but his books are just boring and easily forgettable Traviss' work is her trying to quietly stab her detractors through Star Wars.
Image[
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

You guys are all way off. The Jedi Prince series authors, Paul and Hollace Davids, are by far the worst the EU has ever seen.
S.I.T.H.: Seeks Illicit Teachings and Heresies

Breaking news: News Channel13's helicopter has crashed. News Channel13 is first on the scene...

I bid you Dark Greetings....
QuentinGeorge
Youngling

Post by QuentinGeorge »

The Davids may have written some silly story, but those silly stories have had hardly any negative impact on the EU as a whole.

(Except for creating a few Grand Admirals and giving Jabba a father named Zorba).

I mean, no one remembers that Han once danced the Space Pirate Boogie.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Nobody takes the Jedi Prince books seriously. The only thing from them that carried over was the Human Replica Droids. Everything else was burned.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

18, that is one of the best posts I've ever seen you post. Magnificent, and I agree with all of it.

As bad as KJA is, as bad as I, Jedi, at least those guys are trying to write within the SW Universe. Traviss just doesn't give a shit. As far as she's concerned, SW is her own personal sandbox and she'll do with it as she pleases.

I will, though, have to mention that the worst non-"journo" writer is Alan Dean Foster. He wrote the forgivable Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which is sort of interesting from an historical perspective, but he also wrote the LUDICROUSLY terrible The Approaching Storm, which simply fails at EVERY level. As a SW book? Fails. As literature? Fails. As entertainment? Fails. These aren't "soft" failures, either. These are HARDCORE, "this is one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read" failures, replete with absolutely atrocious writing, horrible characterization (including the characters we all know and love, whose behavior and personalities are WILDLY inconsistent with the films) and a butchery of the scope of the Galaxy.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

KJA struck me more as simply mediocre in the Star Wars stories he wrote - I did think some things that happened in Darkstar were cool- than atrociously, offensively bad.

I'm surprised no one included Courtship of Princess Leia, which was basically an excuse to get Han and Leia married.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I'd like to join in and say that 18 really summed up Travissty very well. She isn't merely incompetent, she's self-serving and intentionally screwed over the SW universe to cover her own ass. I'm shocked that any of the LFL editors and continuity checkers allowed Odds to be published. It not only shits on the SW universe, but it's a horrible non-story even when taken by itself. Have you EVER read another story where two soldiers admit they're not in any danger, and casually chat things up while in the fucking middle of an enemy installation?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

KJA must die.

He garotted two franchises instead of one. God-Emperor will never forgive him what he did to "Dune".
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Guardsman Bass wrote:which was basically an excuse to get Han and Leia married.
But... wasn't that inevitable?
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

My vote goes to Vonda McIntyre and her abomination of literature known as Crystal Star. That book was nothing short of blasphemy, a crime against all of nature and Mankind. I didn't find any redeeming qualities in it, save for the fact that when removed from her incompetent hands, the Empire Reborn movement at least had interesting background as the power behind Desann's Reborn and being sort of quasi-SS movement. If there's one book I'd gladly burn it is that abortion of imagination.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Tiriol wrote:I didn't find any redeeming qualities in it,
It has Palpatine giving a worldcraft away as a trinket. It is also one of the few books of the time where the entire New Republic isn't in peril.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I'm forced to vote for Hambly, because I have avoided all of Traviss' stuff and I read KJA's stuff when my age was still in the single digits, and so I didn't really know just how bad it truly was and I thus have nostalgic feelings for his work (although the Crystal Star was indeed terrible). Stackpole might be a hack, but at least he can fell a good tree, if you can follow my obtuse metaphor. And then there is Hambly.

Ugh... boooooring. Same for the Kube guy, although most of his stuff seems to have just been swept under the carpet and ignored.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

As a pure writer in the SW universe Hambly is by far the biggest offender. Her shit just had no flow or depth to it in any way shape or form. Trying to get through her stuff was like wading through a huge peat bog and not even realizing that the shining prize at the far end was a toy out of a cracker jack box. KJA isn't much better but that comes down to the eternal stupid author trick of "things are as I say they are because I say they are not because it makes sense" and one-dimensional characters. AS a sort of mindless entertainment its safe enough. Stackpole's stuff is an honestly decent storyline with plenty of character depth AFTER one subtracts the world's biggest Gary Stu ever. The rest of his characterizations and the relationship between Wedge, Tycho, the rest of the Rouges, and even (though barely) Isaard are all filled with depth and a bit, not much, of nuance. That and resurrecting Jan Dodonna was rather well done. Obviously all of the above is a complete aside to whatever carnage the authors laid waste to the continuity as a whole. So Traviss as an author (I've only read bits and pieces never a whole book) probably falls somewhere in the same vicinity as Stackpole.

As to damage done to the franchise only Traviss, ONLY Traviss has perpetuated and enforced with tyrannical mania to the extent she can a minimalism that suggests the Colonial Army could take control of the entire Galactic Empire if only they had ships to hop from planet to planet. Everything else pales in comparison.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

CmdrWilkens wrote:. Stackpole's stuff is an honestly decent storyline with plenty of character depth AFTER one subtracts the world's biggest Gary Stu ever. The rest of his characterizations and the relationship between Wedge, Tycho, the rest of the Rouges, and even (though barely) Isaard are all filled with depth and a bit, not much, of nuance.
As long as you ignore the fact that he doesn't develop certain pilots at all for four books and then offs them. Seriously, there's exactly one Rogue with more than a couple sentences of story and interaction that he killed who didn't get brought back from the dead(and she gets replaced by her sister who then promptly recieves no screen time), and that holds true through Isaard's Revenge as well.

Wait, I do tell a lie, he did kill the one that turned evil off as well. Set against the 'back from the dead unexpectedly' schtick he pulled with Corran, Bror Jace, Mirax, Gavin, and Asyr Seilar, this doesn't count for much.

My main other issue with him is is efforts to turn Wedge Antilles into a gigantic douchebag.

However, Traviss still does more damage, and KJA is still a crappier writer.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

From the books I've read, Barbara Hambly's Children of the Jedi is tied for worst. (Some Boba Fett bounty hunter book where Boba escaped the Sarlaac and went on to do boring things was tied.)

The first chapter apparently had some POV transition that wasn't marked. When the first couple pages make no sense even after reading them several times, you know this is going to be bad.

And the entire book just felt like Luke going "Ow, pain. Force heal. Still, ow, pain. Force heal. *Gets beat up more.* Ow, more pain. Force heal."
Later...
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Although not quite as terrible as the awful sounding shit mentioned here, I was never really impressed with Kathy Tyers' competent, but vanilla and dull Truce at Bakura...
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

consequences wrote:As long as you ignore the fact that he doesn't develop certain pilots at all for four books and then offs them. Seriously, there's exactly one Rogue with more than a couple sentences of story and interaction that he killed who didn't get brought back from the dead(and she gets replaced by her sister who then promptly recieves no screen time), and that holds true through Isaard's Revenge as well.
What about the wolfman? He didn't even get a line of dialogue in any of the books.

All in all, Stackpole isn't bad, but he's responsible for the "I'm Wedge Antilles, I can do ANYTHING!!!" trend. And the "we're Imperials, mwahahaha, mustache twirl" trend.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Well, at least with Wedge he did pick the one canonical secondary character who is extraordinarily bad ass. I mean, the bastard has two Death Star kill silhouettes, and has the superpower of being able to fly with Luke "Dead wingmate" Skywalker and not die.

Too bad Stackpole decided to overshadow Wedge with his own Gary Stu. And he should at least get credit for not re-using the Skywalker/Solo clan endlessly like all the rest of the EU authors.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Academia Nut wrote:Well, at least with Wedge he did pick the one canonical secondary character who is extraordinarily bad ass. I mean, the bastard has two Death Star kill silhouettes,
I guess you get one just for surviving the battle of Yavin?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Technically I think the way it was done since both battles were so huge and had such massive casualties was that just participating let you paint a circle on your fighter. Maybe not the second battle, but I'm fairly certain that for the first one just participating, especially on the trench run, earned you a Death Star kill marking.