Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Galvatron »

I can't believe how close I was.
Galvatron wrote:But you didn't object to the other idea. Two years BBY, Mon Mothma was branded a traitor to the Empire and became a wanted fugitive so she fled Chandrila. Maybe the crew of the Ghost rescued her and served as her personal guard thereafter.

After all, wouldn't Mon Mothma as a series-regular make a lot of sense for Rebels? Using this show for character development of the actual leader of the rebellion seems a no-brainer to me.
:lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well when you're right, you're right :D
I would've let the 'lets burn the TIEs by getting close to the wannabe star' slide because nobody but us cares about the physics involved anyway, but how come the 'fire proton torpedo into the nebula' explosion didn't to zilch to the Ghost or the Y-Wings despite being powerful enough to disable a Star Destroyer?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe the ISDs were running with their shields down like the Avenger was when it was pursuing the Falcon in TESB.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Star Destroyers being unable to enter the nebula seems odd to me. Given the effect proton torps have...could those big engines be the reason? That they output potent enough exhaust that they'd ignite the cloud on entering?

Unshielded TIE Interceptors seem to hold up surprisingly well in the corona of a protostar. Anything usable in calculating the tolerances of durasteel and transparisteel?

Seems the Empire does prototypes "Russia Style", full war capability on the Defender

This 'nebula' makes the Star Trek gas soups seem realistic. The Rebels past what, an AU...pushing it 3AU, gaseous density enough for an antimatter chain reaction. Just how many anti-protons are in a fighter launched proton torpedo?
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Galvatron wrote:Maybe the ISDs were running with their shields down like the Avenger was when it was pursuing the Falcon in TESB.
Possible, they were cocky, initially assumed the Ghost was alone and Konstantine did not take two fighters as a serious threat. The Ghost was in tractors and damaged...no threat
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I guess the idea was supposed to be that they jumped to hyperspace quickly enough to escape, but it feels problematic regardless. Yet another case of odd SW physics. Oh well.

Also, why was there only a single TIE defender? Though I suppose if they exist in numbers it begs the question of why they aren't in common use at Yavin or Endor. I suppose their absense is possible if Thrawn is defeated, and because it was his pet project no one else in the Imperial Navy much cared to build them. The standard TIE likely had preference as a result of inertia and politics, with a major effort to redirect efforts towards the Death Star and capital ships like Executor.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

depending on the angle the ISDs might have also shielded (with their hull that is) the Ghost to a degree, explaining why it seems to be unharmed.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The torpedos did detonate in gas-masses nearer to the ISDs than the Ghost...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The new EU seems to regard the TIE defender as the Imperial analog to the rebel B-wing.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:The new EU seems to regard the TIE defender as the Imperial analog to the rebel B-wing.
wasn't it that to degree in the legendaries as well with a bit of A-wing mixed in there as well. I mean in the X-wing flightsims the TIE/D had 8 (IIRC) guns to the B-wing's 6 and had decent shields, though it was much faster and nimble then the B-Wing (or IIRC the A-wing).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:wasn't it that to degree in the legendaries as well with a bit of A-wing mixed in there as well.
Yes, but you'll notice that they skipped over the TIE advanced and the gunboats from the old games. The TIE defender appears to be a direct response to the experimental B-wing that was introduced last season.

I thought it was amusing how tough its shields were though, despite the fact shielded rebel fighters succumb to enemy fire quite easily. The TIE defender, on the other hand, seemed downright invincible. I wonder how tough the B-wing is.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:wasn't it that to degree in the legendaries as well with a bit of A-wing mixed in there as well.
Yes, but you'll notice that they skipped over the TIE advanced and the gunboats from the old games. The TIE defender appears to be a direct response to the experimental B-wing that was introduced last season.

I thought it was amusing how tough its shields were though, despite the fact shielded rebel fighters succumb to enemy fire quite easily. The TIE defender, on the other hand, seemed downright invincible. I wonder how tough the B-wing is.
Hard to say, since as far as I know we've not seen one in combat in visual (non-game) media, B-wings were never seen in combat in the movies sadly (IIRC the narrow cross-shape of the craft made the effects too hard to make back in the early 80s).

That said the shields on the prototype could be like the big-ass ship killing gun in the B-wings seems to be aka something that's reduced/removed in the production models to make them more cost efficient.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:Hard to say, since as far as I know we've not seen one in combat in visual (non-game) media, B-wings were never seen in combat in the movies sadly (IIRC the narrow cross-shape of the craft made the effects too hard to make back in the early 80s).
In that case, how do we know for certain that the superlaser was removed in the production model?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The superlaser nixed the hyperdrive yet they B-Wings are already out by their own when the Rebel fleet jumps to Endor in RotJ.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Unless they fixed that somehow... they might have to abandon the hyperdrive-compromising abilities that Quarry didn't consider to be a major factor since he never thought of the context his masterpiece would operate in, namely a really mobile galactic guerrilla campaign...

Perhaps the workarounds Quarry might devise would be hard for ragtag ramshackle Rebel maintenance crews to follow... yes, Quarry did design the thing in a cave on a mountain, possibly with a box of scraps, but he had years and a genius-brain to figure it out and Rebel crews might not have such luxuries... (actually he never actually did figure out a workaround for the hyperdrive depletion factor, did he?) and maybe his hermitage and his degree of ability, heck his whole "ONLY A WORTHY PILOT CAN FLY MY GLORIOUS PROTOTYPE" shtick, have led to a mindset that's hyper-focused on making a badass craft without considerations for combat/logistics operational factors.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Hard to say, since as far as I know we've not seen one in combat in visual (non-game) media, B-wings were never seen in combat in the movies sadly (IIRC the narrow cross-shape of the craft made the effects too hard to make back in the early 80s).
In that case, how do we know for certain that the superlaser was removed in the production model?
While it's true we don't know 100% sure that the superlaser was removed, It's not an unreasonble assumption to make as IIRC it's not depicted in any chonogically later canon material with B-wing generally depicted with the 3 laser+3 ion+torps config most legendaries sources depicted it as, also the superlaser fried the hyperdrive when used and while it's possible that the rebels discorved a work around that's a lot of R&D work. Oh the production B-wing also looks different (the protoype had manned turret at the bottom with a visible window while the production model has what appears to be an unmanned pod there).

Honestly it's not that odd, it's not unheard of even in real life that a prototype version of a combat craft has options or materials that are dropped in production versions for the sake of cost efficiency.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder if any more ships hyper'd in after this closing shot.

I wonder if that's supposed to be Home One back there.

Am I the only one who thinks the Ghost looks awesome with those two Y-wings docked to it?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Ezra and co. were the ones that got that wedge-shaped Imperial carrier right? So... it got passed on to another Rebel cell?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Or the Phoenix cell showed up to the meeting.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'd say Phoenix Cell being at the meeting is possible if not probable. From what I've heard that planet is suppose to be Dantooine so I wonder if they'll show (in season 4 or 5) why the rebels abbandoned that base in favor of the Yavin 4 base (we know it happend "some time" before ANH and that by Rogue One Yavin 4 was their main base, though that doesn't need to mean the Dantooine base was still inactive).
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

I think they are just moving the base after some time to make locating them harder.

Certainly the Empire didn't know about thee Dantooine base till well after it was abandoned.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

No doubt Thrawn will locate Phoenix cell's current base and whomever survives his attack will wind up on Dantooine.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh, that's a nice shot of the Rebel fleet.

More substantial than I would have expected it to be, perhaps, this early on, though it does seem to be mostly corvettes/transports, with only one or two actual capital ships.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

eMeM wrote:I think they are just moving the base after some time to make locating them harder.

Certainly the Empire didn't know about thee Dantooine base till well after it was abandoned.
Yeah.

If the Dantooine Base had been attacked, then Tarkin would presumably have known that it was no longer an active Rebel base, and Leia would not have tried that deception.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
eMeM wrote:I think they are just moving the base after some time to make locating them harder.

Yeah.

If the Dantooine Base had been attacked, then Tarkin would presumably have known that it was no longer an active Rebel base, and Leia would not have tried that deception.
yeah my question was the based forced to be abbandoned or was it simply moved pre-emptively to avoid detection. Essentially I'm wondering if it was "oh shit the empire is getting too close to this place with their probes, lets move it before we're discovered" or "we've been here for 6 months lets start planning to move the base to a new system so the Empire can't find us", also I wonder if the Dantooine base was still active after the HQ was transferred to Yavin 4 (though obviously not as a HQ) after all if the rebels had logistical capacity to do so more then 1 base wouldn't hurt too much.