The New SW Canon

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ashka Boda
Redshirt

Re: The New SW Canon

Post by Ashka Boda »

It's a shame so much Star Wars still gets written without the slightest regard for any other SW fiction. I thought they'd tried to fix this mess, but it's as bad as it ever was, and Lucas is making it worse.

Oh well. At least it's not the Aliens universe...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ashka Boda wrote:It's a shame so much Star Wars still gets written without the slightest regard for any other SW fiction. I thought they'd tried to fix this mess, but it's as bad as it ever was, and Lucas is making it worse.
Yeah, no. Lucas adding to his creation is not 'making it worse'. It is not his job to adapt his input to everyone else that writes and creates in his universe. It is their job to adapt to him.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

So what's the canon policy now that Disney owns Star Wars? As far as I know it's the same since they haven't changed anything but then again I could be wrong.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Unless they say otherwise, I'd imagine the Star Wars canon policy remains the same. Did Marvel canon change when Disney acquired it?
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nope, but it was never really a point of contention like SW canon is either.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Star Wars canon really isn't the thing thats in contention, its people arguing whose interpretation of the canon is right that usually is in contention. If you throw out the 'whose more right' semantics-wrangling aspect of it its pretty straightforward. Sort of like whether the whole 'IS THE ICS CANON AND IF SO HOW CANON IS IT' thing :lol:

The last time it really 'changed' in any way was with the GCSN thing and the Holocron, and those were more refinements of what we have always known. The 'two worlds' thing too. Basically its always been 'George has final say what happens with Star Wars and can change whatever shit he wants, but outside that he lets other people play in and add to the universe in their own ways.'
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Oh I know the EU is canon and has always been, I was just thinking how this could affect the whole "George Lucas says the EU isn't canon" arguments since he doesn't own the rights anymore. Though I suppose people could still consider his word to be law.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why? Roddenberry's word ain't law anymore. If it were half of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and nuTrek wouldn't be canon. ;)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

Here's how I want the canon to break down, these significant events:

---Luke marries Mara Jade.
---Han and Leia have Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.
---The Yuuzhan Vong War happens (how is open to interpretation.)
---Jacen turns to the dark side and wages a new war.

These four canon events are the definitive moments in the series for me. I do know if they rewrite the SW canon so that Luke never found or married Mara Jade, I will be incredibly pissed. How many other people feel that way? I mean, she is a very popular EU figure, but is Disney really so stupid that they will cut her out?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I honestly don't think the EU is a big enough deal to the majority of the people who would go to a SW movie for Disney to have cause for caring. The hardcore fans will go either way, though they will shout about how SW has been ruined. The casual fans will go either way. The people who want to see the latest blockbuster will go either way. The people who would refuse to go see a new SW trilogy just because it deviated from the EU are small.

Ignoring the EU entirely and just making an entirely new direction would prove plenty profitable. It all comes down to what the writers think would work well on the big screen.

I like some of the EU, and it would be kinda sad for it to be tossed to the wind. But what's the worst part of it? How the story goes is different, that's it. You still have those cherished stories you can go back and read. Instead of being part of the SW canon it will be SW "alt-history." Your ability to enjoy the stories made before the movies will be untarnished. And you may even get a new story line that you'll be able to love as much as the OT or your favorite EU stories.

Nothing of any importance will change. It's just a story.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lord Falcon wrote:Here's how I want the canon to break down, these significant events:

---Luke marries Mara Jade.
Horrible.
---Han and Leia have Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.
More horrible.
---The Yuuzhan Vong War happens (how is open to interpretation.)
Somehow, even more horrible.
---Jacen turns to the dark side and wages a new war.
The absolute worst.
These four canon events are the definitive moments in the series for me. I do know if they rewrite the SW canon so that Luke never found or married Mara Jade, I will be incredibly pissed. How many other people feel that way? I mean, she is a very popular EU figure, but is Disney really so stupid that they will cut her out?
Gawd, I hope you are one pissed off fan.

And fucking christ, why on Earth do you people think Disney is going to stick their nose in this or even fucking want to. It is all Lucasfilm still. Anything that happens is going to happen internally.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't see what was wrong with Luke marrying Mara (I still consider the post-movie era Thrawn books to be the high points of the EU) but I could certainly do without the other three.

That being said, Napoleon is right. The populace of SDN is not a representative sample of the general movie-going audience and even here half the people would be happier if most of the EU never happened. If a web forum full of die-hard Wars fans doesn't particularly care about the Wars EU, why should Disney?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Now that the saga is complete and we know what we know and the fact that Luke would now know what happened, in universe, do you really think he would put himself in the same position his father did and in the position to make the same mistakes TWICE? He struggled so hard to not make one mistake his father did so now he is going to make the other? He may end up caring for Mara Jade, but marriage? A child? I don't think so. I mean, I think the EU even tried to do that crap IIRC: him almost falling to the Dark Side because he was worried about his wife and child.

Do I think the character of Jade should be shitcanned? Not necessarily, but she would have been better served as character to have died while helping to establish firmly Luke's commitment to the Jedi and his being able to deal with loss and all that, but doing that without the caveat of marriage.

Jade staying pro-Empire and trying to help reestablish their control in a positive manner (making some of the same arguments that Thrawn made about the Empire) while still having an attraction and romance to a point would have been far superior and it would have made for a much more dynamic relationship.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

There is no need to be mean, Havok. I already think the prequels are bad, so I don't watch them. If this turns out bad, I won't watch it either. You don't have to judge me for what I like. If you don't like them that's your choice, but don't begrudge me for liking these events and wanting to see them. And what do you mean? Is LucasFilm still intact? It sounds as if they were, well, for want of a better word, assimilated into Disney.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well, see that's what happens when you say stupid shit and you talk about things that you don't have any information about. So I will make you a deal, you go gets some facts and better taste and I will stop being mean.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Havok wrote:Well, see that's what happens when you say stupid shit and you talk about things that you don't have any information about. So I will make you a deal, you go gets some facts and better taste and I will stop being mean.
You better have your fingers crossed because he's really dumb.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ire
Youngling

Post by Ire »

Havok wrote:Now that the saga is complete and we know what we know and the fact that Luke would now know what happened, in universe, do you really think he would put himself in the same position his father did and in the position to make the same mistakes TWICE? He struggled so hard to not make one mistake his father did so now he is going to make the other? He may end up caring for Mara Jade, but marriage? A child? I don't think so. I mean, I think the EU even tried to do that crap IIRC: him almost falling to the Dark Side because he was worried about his wife and child.
That was Jacen. Not Luke. FOTJ was a tripe rehash of the PT anyways

And Anakin fell to the darkside primarily because the Jedi didn't allow it he fell straight in Sidous's hands for manipulation. FOTJ went full retard with retcons and shit to justify things and it got worse from there
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ire wrote: That was Jacen. Not Luke. FOTJ was a tripe rehash of the PT anyways
You're thinking of Legacy of the force.

Fate of the Jedi was the last series that actually fixed all the shit that LoTF messed up.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ire wrote:
Havok wrote:Now that the saga is complete and we know what we know and the fact that Luke would now know what happened, in universe, do you really think he would put himself in the same position his father did and in the position to make the same mistakes TWICE? He struggled so hard to not make one mistake his father did so now he is going to make the other? He may end up caring for Mara Jade, but marriage? A child? I don't think so. I mean, I think the EU even tried to do that crap IIRC: him almost falling to the Dark Side because he was worried about his wife and child.

And Anakin fell to the darkside primarily because the Jedi didn't allow it he fell straight in Sidous's hands for manipulation. FOTJ went full retard with retcons and shit to justify things and it got worse from there
No, Jacen fell to the Darkside. Luke was tempted by it because of Mara and Ben in some stupid thing. The point being, knowing what he should know, how close he came to falling in ROTJ, understanding that his biggest mistake was his arrogance and knowing what his father did, he wouldn't be arrogant enough to put himself in that situation again. The consequences are too high, obviously.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ire
Youngling

Post by Ire »

Havok wrote:
Ire wrote:

No, Jacen fell to the Darkside. Luke was tempted by it because of Mara and Ben in some stupid thing. The point being, knowing what he should know, how close he came to falling in ROTJ, understanding that his biggest mistake was his arrogance and knowing what his father did, he wouldn't be arrogant enough to put himself in that situation again. The consequences are too high, obviously.
You mean the Lumiya shit about...ugh can we stop bringing up LOTF up as an example please? It's just a festering pile of shit. I honestly don't see how having a family would be making the same mistakes as his father as his only mistake was trusting the Dark lord of the Sith and not taking in the factor that the future is always changing when you see visions and you might be the one to cause them. Also resisting something doesn't mean your going to be impervious to it's temptation. Look at alcoholics.
Ire
Youngling

Post by Ire »

Darksider wrote:
Ire wrote: That was Jacen. Not Luke. FOTJ was a tripe rehash of the PT anyways
You're thinking of Legacy of the force.

Fate of the Jedi was the last series that actually fixed all the shit that LoTF messed up.
Aw shit I got them mixed up
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

So have they confirmed what level of canon the movie 7 will be yet? Because presumably, under the current system it will be c-canon because Lucas isn't contributing.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'll worry about that once that movie actually exists and what's to keep them from rewriting the canon policy? Again?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Just wondering if they've taken steps towards that yet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

jwl wrote:So have they confirmed what level of canon the movie 7 will be yet? Because presumably, under the current system it will be c-canon because Lucas isn't contributing.
Lucas is absolutely contributing. He has already stated that he has worked on the story and will be consulting on it as it develops and when the movie is being made.

That aside, live action movies are established as the official source that everything stems from so whether it is called 'G' or 'M' (movie) or 'S' (source) or whatever, it is still 'G'-canon.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)