Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by Darksider »

VT-16 wrote:Why would the shields be up when it's firing? :P
Since when do Star Wars ships have to drop their shields to fire weapons?

I've never heard that. They probably just temporarily overwhelmed the shields locally, causing just enough damage to trigger an overload in the weapon. They were on a dedicated anti-ship mission, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were carrying warheads designed to do exactly that.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Was it just me, or were those Subway cars designed exactly after(albiet smaller) the ones in one of the first Jedi Academy levels?

Or were they both designed after something prior that I'm just ignorant off.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Darksider wrote:Since when do Star Wars ships have to drop their shields to fire weapons?
Since they decided not to dissapate any friendly blasts inside their own defenses? :mrgreen:

That's pretty much the whole excuse behind Anakin even entering the Lucrehulk in TPM, letting shields down to allow droid fighters to exit, and inadverdantly allow a N-1 fighter access. I assume the same reason is used to explain the BTL-Bs flying behind the ion cannon superstructure in the first place, not to mention crashing on the surface of the Malevolence and keep rolling along, instead of being evaporated. If the ion cannon's ordnance has a mass, it makes no sense firing while behind the ship's shield.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

We've known physical matter can't bypass a particle shield well since ANH (the whole point of the exhaust port, remember?) That ion cannon ring no matter how you try to argue it is going to qualify as "physical" so it will require raising and lowering shields to get through.

That's almost beside the point, however, since we know shield penetration technologies canonically exist (buzz droids, Zam Wessell's assassin remote in TPM) and the novel/radio drama mention the X-wings penetrating the outer shields of the DS and needing special countermeasures to do so, anyhow.

Edit: further evidence for "shield-countermeasures" can be seen in the existence of theatre shields (TPM and TESB) - we know that organic and inorganic objects can exist under or inside a shield despite the fact ray shields are dangerous to living matter and that particle shields impede solid objects - shields are volumetric remember (three dimensional) so in order for anything to exist or operate under a shield you have to have some way of creating a "safe zone" underneath said shield to operate in.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

And in this episode, Droids that don't suck, and Clone Awesomeness.

And none of the awesome clones act like mandos, they even wish they had Jedi backing them up.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Well, another episode, and I must say, I'm fairly impressed. When they started previewing the series, my enthusiasm began to wane, but so far its been rather good. There have been a number of squirm-enduing lines, and some aspects of the space battle in episode 3 bothered me (namely, the apparent lack of deflectors of any kind; it can be worked around, but I just find it weird that the show's producers seem to ignore their existence). I don't mind the visual style, the battles have been impressive for the medium, and the plots haven't been half-bad. Even the battle droids are an improvement over the embarrassing, slap-stick contraptions of RotS.

The clone episode, in particular, had some nice details. The military holonet broadcast (along with the shades of Starship Troopers propaganda opening) and the pin-ups on the ops center wall, clichéd as they were, gave the clones a nice degree of character; their names and interactions also seemed reasonably natural. And, predictable though it may have been, I am rather fond of the ending.

"Do we take prisoners?"
"I don't."
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

:cry: :cry: :cry: I had it taped and the tape ran out of tape :cry:

What happend right after the CIS Lander....landed?

I also really want a Commando Droid figure
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I liked the commando droids. Still somewhat incompetant, but leagues ahead of most other units on both sides of the clone wars.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

At least the clones and droids were using cover most of the time in this episode.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. The way the clones can switch from firing from cover, and using competent tactics, to standing out in the open and firing from the hip like retards baffles me to no end.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It seems to me, in this episode at least, they were used to droids being such terrible shots, that at the distance they usually had when in the open, they would stand little risk of being shot themselves. I'm thinking of the landing platform scenes.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

The commando droids seem to have orders of magnitude better programming. They're not bumbling idiots, although they still don't equal a clone, let alone Jedi.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Braedley wrote:The commando droids seem to have orders of magnitude better programming. They're not bumbling idiots, although they still don't equal a clone, let alone Jedi.
Eh. B1s burble and say stupid things, but they are actually canonically roughly the equivalent of a clone. In various clone wars animated bits, they're vaguely equivalent, too. In the new CGI series, we seem to get large scenes with no clone casualties, but the ground battle sequences with clones have all been named-character clones. "Character shields" ho!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

So I guess Rex is assigned to Anakin because he's the only clone who can keep up.

Everyone fired double-taps, all the time. Both clones and commando-droids. I think someone on the show staff has been reading up.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

NecronLord wrote:
Braedley wrote:The commando droids seem to have orders of magnitude better programming. They're not bumbling idiots, although they still don't equal a clone, let alone Jedi.
Eh. B1s burble and say stupid things, but they are actually canonically roughly the equivalent of a clone. In various clone wars animated bits, they're vaguely equivalent, too. In the new CGI series, we seem to get large scenes with no clone casualties, but the ground battle sequences with clones have all been named-character clones. "Character shields" ho!
Yeah, but from what we've seen, they don't come close to a clone. Granted this is only Canon-B (or maybe C), but so far in this series, clones have outmatched B1s with ratios better than 1:1. Most of that was with Jedi support, but still, as far as the Clone Wars goes, I think clones could win against 2:1 numbers of B1s. Against a mixed droid army, yeah, I give even numbers, but just B1s? My money's heavily on the clones unless the droids have vastly superior numbers.

Let's take a look at the latest episode. We start off with 6 clones (4 of them who haven't seen major combat before) who managed to take out a squad of commando droids, that act like they're vastly superior to the B1s. Then they manage to take out a full company of mixed droids after loosing one member to indigenous life and one to a suicide attack. I think those number speak for themselves. Granted, they lost the outpost and lost a number of other men in the sneak attack, but they didn't leave anything for the enemy to capture.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Clone Armor actually appeared to work as armor in this episode. Before he blew up the base the Clone took at least a couple of hits, and was still alive enough to set off the explosion.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Braedley wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
Yeah, but from what we've seen, they don't come close to a clone. Granted this is only Canon-B (or maybe C), but so far in this series, clones have outmatched B1s with ratios better than 1:1. Most of that was with Jedi support, but still, as far as the Clone Wars goes, I think clones could win against 2:1 numbers of B1s. Against a mixed droid army, yeah, I give even numbers, but just B1s? My money's heavily on the clones unless the droids have vastly superior numbers.

Let's take a look at the latest episode. We start off with 6 clones (4 of them who haven't seen major combat before) who managed to take out a squad of commando droids, that act like they're vastly superior to the B1s. Then they manage to take out a full company of mixed droids after loosing one member to indigenous life and one to a suicide attack. I think those number speak for themselves. Granted, they lost the outpost and lost a number of other men in the sneak attack, but they didn't leave anything for the enemy to capture.
Character shields, plain and simple. Look at the G-canon, with clones falling like reaped wheat in the battle of Utapau, to B1s among others. The only explanation for the CGI series' ineffective B1s is that the clones are all exceptionally lucky (being named characters and all) or that Grievous and Ventress are tooling around the galaxy with particularly crap B1s.

You can't believe that they're normally incapable of hitting a fully exposed human target, with weapons capable of full automatic fire, standing ten feet away, can you?
havocfett
Redshirt

Post by havocfett »

Considering what droids have been like before, definitely.
Shinji cheered himself up by plotting out impractical plans to off his father. By the time he got to his new school, he was grinning from ear to ear at how he had managed to perfect the plan involving a car battery, a geisha, a metric tonne of boiling ramen, and a rubber chicken. A true classic he had been working on for years.
-Thousand Shinji

"The founding fathers said that the guys with the biggest gun makes the laws"
"No, that was the British, remember those representational democracy guys? Those were the founding fathers"
-The Daily show with John Stewart
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

*Watches new episode*

And cue trektards on SB screeching like banshees about SW firepower levels in 3.......2.....1

That being said, this ep felt entirely too rushed. They tried to do waaaay too much in 30 minutes. This should have been a three part like the Malevolence arc.

Also, whoever designed the music for this episode needs to be dragged out behind skywalker ranch and shot.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

At least it had a Munificent-class frigate's shields shrugging off big (20-40 meters) asteroids like they were rain. :D

I suspect the AT-TE's were effective because they were attacking from the flank while the frigates had shields angled forward.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Darwin wrote:At least it had a Munificent-class frigate's shields shrugging off big (20-40 meters) asteroids like they were rain. :D

I suspect the AT-TE's were effective because they were attacking from the flank while the frigates had shields angled forward.
Still, armor is supposed to deflect at least some damage, It would've been far better if they'd shown a few SPHA-Ts on the asteroids, since we know they can cut up core ships.

I have to wonder what the hell they stuck in those AT-TE's cannons to make them breach the ships armor like that. Maybe they stuck warheads from anti-ship missiles in the shells or something.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Watched my first episode tonight. I completely forgot it started. I got right into it. Felt like Star Wars. Very cool.
I thought the music for the new episode was appropriate since the episode dealt with droids, the techno kinda fit. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Okay, how do we think that they got Anakin out of his fighter? Did they extend shields around it and then somehow pull him free? When Anakin later found his fighter, the canopy was gone, exposing the cockpit to vacuum and we could plainly see that earlier he wasn't wearing a flight suit, let alone a helmet. If they extended a force field around the fighter, then why not simply bring the fighter aboard? I truly wish that Anakin (and Kenobi and all the other non-clones) would please wear full flight suits and helmets in their fighters. There is absolutely no reason not to be wearing a suit.

The R3 'mech was performing so poorly that I was sure it was plant of some kind to get him captured.

The Separatist droid fighters' cannon fire looked odd to me, almost as if the bolts were following Anakin's ship. I need to watch it again, but struck me as rather strange-looking upon first viewing.

I didn't like the collision of the Munificents when the Twilight flew between them. That sort of thing just shouldn't happen... Earlier, the sensors on the ships of the same type eventually spotted relatively small and previously unknown walkers on the asteroids but then these two other Munificents couldn't keep safe distance from each other? Erg... No, I didn't like that at all. I could almost buy it in TESB, because three star destroyers were closing from two different directions, but these two ships were flying together, side by side.

Assassin droids, very cool. I like how the one kept fighting after losing a limb. Their quickness and bounding about and above the Jedi was nice to see. Also, I was very pleased that they didn't talk.

I didn't mind the music, but it didn't feel Star-Warsy enough to me.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Okay, how do we think that they got Anakin out of his fighter? Did they extend shields around it and then somehow pull him free? When Anakin later found his fighter, the canopy was gone, exposing the cockpit to vacuum and we could plainly see that earlier he wasn't wearing a flight suit, let alone a helmet. If they extended a force field around the fighter, then why not simply bring the fighter aboard? I truly wish that Anakin (and Kenobi and all the other non-clones) would please wear full flight suits and helmets in their fighters. There is absolutely no reason not to be wearing a suit.
The old republic jedi armor that Anakin and Obi-Wan have been wearing may well be functional as a spacesuit if a helmet was attached. Ejection seat though is going to have to contain a personal particle shield generator to keep the air in.
FSTargetDrone wrote: The R3 'mech was performing so poorly that I was sure it was plant of some kind to get him captured.
Grievous mentioned something about his trap, right now I think that R3/Goldy/Stubby is a spy/saobteur.
FSTargetDrone wrote: Assassin droids, very cool. I like how the one kept fighting after losing a limb. Their quickness and bounding about and above the Jedi was nice to see. Also, I was very pleased that they didn't talk.
The IG-series assassin droids on the salvage ship were *great* agile, menacing, cunning and tough.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

*ugh*

I'm starting to sour on this show real quick. Everything's just starting to appear so derivative and lame.

Why must some character say "I have a bad feeling about this" every motherfucking EPISODE?

It's not funny. It's fucking lame. Give it a rest. The line would usually get uttered, what, once per movie? Now they're spewing it out once per fucking episode? ENOUGH.

And this shit with Grievous? Every episode he's going to get away? Here's an idea - why not put in a different antagonist?

And what's with the Munificent's being the line Separatist warship every damn episode? Can we see another ship do something?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Vympel wrote:Why must some character say "I have a bad feeling about this" every motherfucking EPISODE?
The references to the movies with lines like that is getting very old fast, yes.