Why the empire is evil...

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Do you think the Empire is evil?

Poll ended at 2002-07-16 09:43pm

yes
32%
no
57%
not sure
11%

Total votes: 37

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I would argue that as long as the empire had an emperor, it would do well. imperialism isnt a flaw in itself, and the imperials did bring stability. imperial credits were used galaxy wide, in faith of the system, stormtroopers and stardestroyers patrolled everywhere (how many rebels you seen fight the imps? just shows you good their security was in maintaining the naiton, as per their job), and even crime was being hunted down. the hutts, for example, nearly got their moon scorched.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Shadow Walker
Youngling

Post by Shadow Walker »

Enforcer, I'll cede that the Empire was relatively stable while the Emporer was alive. But it was not a long term stability. Perhaps that is the nature of Empires forged by tryants: they only last as long as the tyrants that make them.
"I want Rustlers, Cutthroats, Murderers, Bounty Hunters,
desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits,
dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, indian agents,
mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwackers,
hornswaglers, horse thiefs, bull dykes, train robbers,
bank robbers, asskickers, shitkickers, and METHODISTS!"
-Hedley Lamar

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
-Bullet Tooth Tony
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

they last as long as there's a line of succession. rome was a military based empire, and they named their heirs. lasted for centuries. if palpy had done the same, a minor station's destruction wouldn't matter.

his overconfidence was his weakness.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Shadow Walker
Youngling

Post by Shadow Walker »

Enforcer Talen wrote: his overconfidence was his weakness.
Big time. Also Palipatine was a ruler more concerned with his own personal power (getting new aprentices, for example) then making a stable government.
-Hedley Lamar

-Bullet Tooth Tony
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Id disagree. he made the military from the ground up, made it respected and feared, set up his police force and the courts. that remenants have survived even after 25 yrs of war with the new republic, the shattering of power, leadership, and supply bases says something for strength.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I abstained from voting. I don't think that any government is inherently good or evil, as all governments do good for some people and harm to others.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

heh. governments have different morals from people.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Shadow Walker
Youngling

Post by Shadow Walker »

Enforcer Talen wrote:Id disagree. he made the military from the ground up, made it respected and feared, set up his police force and the courts. that remenants have survived even after 25 yrs of war with the new republic, the shattering of power, leadership, and supply bases says something for strength.
Yes, Palipatine did build the military, police, etc. from the ground up. These things were neccasary to keep him in power. A weakness of these systems was that the Emporer picked men who were loyal to him alone. Not that this is a bad thing for a tyrant to want in his men, but these commanders had no loyalty to the Empire, just it's commander. This might explain why, after the Emporer's death, many high ranking officers tried to carve out thier own kingdoms. They had no loyalty to the state. Of course there are those who WERE loyal to the Empire (like Palleon) but they were too few to keep the Empire from losing much of its glory.
-Hedley Lamar

-Bullet Tooth Tony
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Shadow Walker wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:Id disagree. he made the military from the ground up, made it respected and feared, set up his police force and the courts. that remenants have survived even after 25 yrs of war with the new republic, the shattering of power, leadership, and supply bases says something for strength.
Yes, Palipatine did build the military, police, etc. from the ground up. These things were neccasary to keep him in power. A weakness of these systems was that the Emporer picked men who were loyal to him alone. Not that this is a bad thing for a tyrant to want in his men, but these commanders had no loyalty to the Empire, just it's commander. This might explain why, after the Emporer's death, many high ranking officers tried to carve out thier own kingdoms. They had no loyalty to the state. Of course there are those who WERE loyal to the Empire (like Palleon) but they were to few to keep the Empire from losing much of its glory.
those who want power - the ones who have intelligence - generally leave a system more effecient then the way they found it, because they want more direct control. its a nice side effect. again, if the emperor had an heir, there wouldnt have been a problem. the pwoer vaccuum demanded filling, which started the civil war.

so, how does this compare to your views that the empire is evil? it provides stability, and better then a number of governments. what more can one demand of it?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Shadow Walker
Youngling

Post by Shadow Walker »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
so, how does this compare to your views that the empire is evil? it provides stability, and better then a number of governments. what more can one demand of it?
I'd like a government formed by someone who actually cares more about the welfare of the people then his own personal power. If the Emporer had actual cared about his subjects, perhaps he wouldn't have had a rebellion on his hands that eventually killed him and nearly destroyed his empire.
-Hedley Lamar

-Bullet Tooth Tony
Loki
Youngling

Post by Loki »

Shadow Walker wrote: Yes, Palipatine did build the military, police, etc. from the ground up. These things were neccasary to keep him in power. A weakness of these systems was that the Emporer picked men who were loyal to him alone. Not that this is a bad thing for a tyrant to want in his men, but these commanders had no loyalty to the Empire, just it's commander. This might explain why, after the Emporer's death, many high ranking officers tried to carve out thier own kingdoms. They had no loyalty to the state. Of course there are those who WERE loyal to the Empire (like Palleon) but they were too few to keep the Empire from losing much of its glory.
Were any of them truly loyal to him? Even the members of his allegedly hand-picked coterie of advisors turned against him - his executor fantasized about seizing the throne (Darth Vader), his inquisitors left him (Aldric Brandl), his admirals betrayed his service (Harkov, Zaarin), his hands proved disloyal (Lumiya, Arden Lyn), and it was his guardsman who killed him (Carnor Jax).
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

if a man is to keep his personal power, he *has* to care about their welfare. every tyrant who doesnt dies very very quickly. stability is worth a lot, and he gave it to them, so he could have power. they knew it, and signed up all the same. even skywalker wanted to join the academy, a minor farmboy on an insignificant planet millions of stars away from the capital.

the rebellion, from what I can see, is quite small. if we use sea skimmer's number http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=10951 that the rebles lost 20% of their entire fleet, then even if they lost the endor fleet, they only had 4 times again left - under a hundred capital ships. from what we know of sw production capabilities, that is nothing.

as well, the ds raid was high priority, in which they bid their top admiral and the last jedi knight. it is not likely they had huge forces hiding off screen somewhere, so it appears the rebellion was truly insignificant. a city's worth of terrorists that got lucky.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Loki wrote:
Shadow Walker wrote: Yes, Palipatine did build the military, police, etc. from the ground up. These things were neccasary to keep him in power. A weakness of these systems was that the Emporer picked men who were loyal to him alone. Not that this is a bad thing for a tyrant to want in his men, but these commanders had no loyalty to the Empire, just it's commander. This might explain why, after the Emporer's death, many high ranking officers tried to carve out thier own kingdoms. They had no loyalty to the state. Of course there are those who WERE loyal to the Empire (like Palleon) but they were too few to keep the Empire from losing much of its glory.
Were any of them truly loyal to him? Even the members of his allegedly hand-picked coterie of advisors turned against him - his executor fantasized about seizing the throne (Darth Vader), his inquisitors left him (Aldric Brandl), his admirals betrayed his service (Harkov, Zaarin), his hands proved disloyal (Lumiya, Arden Lyn), and it was his guardsman who killed him (Carnor Jax).
how loyal do you need? to be loved isn't neccessary - only to be obeyed. and palpatine got that from vader till the very end.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Loki
Youngling

Post by Loki »

... Until the very end of the movie. Who knows how long he'd have lasted if he hadn't gotten tossed off the balcony? A lot longer than if he'd been left alone while frying Luke.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I think Palpatine's government was ike the Roman Empire, in that there was order but not much freedom. The Rebel's so called government was the opposite side of the coin.

One could argue that anarchy, although it is total freedom from any kind of rule, allows conditions to exist in which people can take away the freedoms of others.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

anarchy means *everything* is allowed. and the man with the fast draw wins.

not a good idea with the weapons their using can melt cities.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Simply from the fact that the Empire is racist, sexist, xenophobic, and practices slavery you can clearly see that it is an unjust organization. What more debate is there past that?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

racist?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Sure. You need to look no further than the OT to see only white male humans serving in the Empire without exception. Compare that to the Rebel Alliance's colorful display of aliens, women, and different races of humans.

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

we see one black guy in the rebellion, and this makes them paragons of racial equality? Especially when we have only seen four black people ever in the SW Galaxy?
terror tactics on it's own citizens that are in armed rebellion - key difference there, and it's also been done a lot in history, often in civilized nations. if you are declaring war against your government, expect consequences.
did someone say my name? :)
Seriously, if Alderaan had no weapons, what do you call the Turbolaser on the Tantive, or the blasters the troops on board were carrying?
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

consequences wrote:we see one black guy in the rebellion, and this makes them paragons of racial equality? Especially when we have only seen four black people ever in the SW Galaxy?
Are you serious? There's at least one black Rebel X-Wing pilot, there's Lando Calrissian, there's a black Rebel commando on Endor (and those are supposed to be elite soldiers, why would they assign different races to elite units if they were racist?). Not to mention they gave Lando the rank of general. So that's three more blacks in the Rebel Alliance than the Empire. NTM the fact that there used to be different races and women in the Old Republic. Apparantly, the Empire has done away with all of that as we see no example of ethinic diversity or women at all in any OT movie. It seems to me that Lucas wanted to show ethnic diversity and women in the few shots you see Old Republic officers and Rebel personnel, to contrast that with the all-white male humans serving in the Empire. Makes perfect sense to me that the Empire was racist. And notice that all of those that attended the Imperial Academy and became Rebel pilots in the early years (ANH-ESB era) were all white human males. My theory is that because the Rebels had no starfighter pilots, they needed to get experienced pilots at first to train their own. This would have been critical as they couldn't afford to lose their valuable starfighters because of crappy pilots. That is why they would attend the Imperial Academy and then defect to the Rebel Alliance upon completion of training.

EDIT: I might as well add in that the Naboo forces had blacks in the NRSF. Bespin security forces also employed blacks. The Jedi Order also contained many different races, genders, and species.
Last edited by IRG CommandoJoe on 2003-01-26 04:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Diversity isn't limited to the human race... the Rebellion (and the Jedi Order) is full of non-human aliens. Yet the Empire seems to be made up soley of white british guys!

; )

Then again, in movies about the Roman Empire, it's usually the British who play the Romans, so go figure.

Their stability is a joke.. the Empire lasts for 50 years, tops, the Republic endured for at least a thousand years (or a thousand "generations" whatever).

The Empire's biggest mistake was building the Death Star. This single feat created probably the most problems and lead to their eventual downfall.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Kurgan wrote:Diversity isn't limited to the human race... the Rebellion (and the Jedi Order) is full of non-human aliens. Yet the Empire seems to be made up soley of white british guys!
I am well aware of this. However, he was only questioning the issue of racism in the Empire.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

The biggest clue that Alderaan "has no weapons" is that no fleet came out to meet the Death Star. Nobody fired ion cannons, nothing.

They just sat there, while this heavily armed battle station parked in front of them, and then fired.

The Empire was either so confident in the power of the death star, or they KNEW Alderaan had no weapons. We didn't see a single escort ship for the DS when it came upon Alderaan!

No calls for surrender, no radio chatter ("Why are you threatening our planet? Prepare to be fired upon if you do not withdraw!" etc).

It makes sense that the personal guard of a Republic Senator would have armed guards. Even the supposedly pacifist and weak Naboo had armed guards protecting their Queen.

They just weren't POWERFUL weapons and they weren't anywhere near enough to repell an invasion (even a planetary shield isn't much against a large enough battle fleet), much less the superweapon of the Empire.

As a Senator of the Empire and royalty, Princess Leia would be entitled to some more protection than the average Alderaan citizen, I would wager. That alone doesn't prove that Alderaan was armed to the teeth and just incompetent in battle when threatened.

Now that I think about it, even if the Empire somehow couldn't break through the planetary shield of Alderaan with an orbital bombardment from a fleet of ISD's (and force the planet to surrender), they could still have landed walkers like they did on Hoth, or even, if they wanted to avoid Imperial troop casualties (not citizen casualties, since Alderaan was a member world), they could have simply blockaded the planet.

Heck, if the crappy Trade Federation can blockade a planet, surely the much larger and more well equipped (and better trained) Empire can easily cut off their supplies, which would encourage the people to force their leaders to surrender or discuss terms.

They had so many options open to them, but instead they chose to blow up the entire planet, in typical evil Empire fashion!
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

To sum up:

I would expect even the most peaceful planets to have an armed police force, and rich people (if they exist) to have weaopns of some sort stashed away for personal protection, but not anything to repel an invasion. Again, take the Naboo for example...