Star Wars: 2015

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Star Wars: 2015

Post by Ralin »

Darksider wrote: Have new dark side users, but don't call them sith or give them any connection to Palpatine whatsoever. Vader redeemed himself and wiped out the sith once and for all, end of their fucking story.
Even if they didn't have a connection to Palpatine I think a good chunk of any new Dark Side users would call themselves Sith just to latch onto the tradition. Wouldn't you want to present yourself as the heir to the guys who took over the galaxy, whether it was true or not?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

edaw1982 wrote:I'm surprised Lucas is selling "His Baby" off; but I guess it just goes to show not even George Lucas is immune to recessions.
He's giving away all 4 billion. I don't think he needs the money. How much is Lucas worth right now anyways? Was all of his money tied up in Lucasfilm, or does he have personal assets?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Darksider wrote:He's giving away all 4 billion. I don't think he needs the money. How much is Lucas worth right now anyways? Was all of his money tied up in Lucasfilm, or does he have personal assets?
Three billion and change is the number I remember hearing elsewhere.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Wow. That should be enough to keep the lights on at Skywalker ranch for a little while.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Darksider wrote:Wow. That should be enough to keep the lights on at Skywalker ranch for a little while.
Isn't Skywalker Ranch the property of Disney now? I don't think Lucas actually lives there.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Havok wrote:I'm not sure why people assume Disney is going to start changing things just because they bought it, when they didn't do it at Pixar or Marvel.

That said, the reason "Blockbuster" movies get released when they do is because of Star Wars, I don't think they are gonna mess with the May release date.
Just throwing this out there. Do you know or talk to any Marvel fans? I have two friends who are huge Marvel fans, one spends 80 dollars a week on the comics and the other one worked for Marvel a few years back. They still can't believe how much Disney strays from the source material when it comes to the new movies and god awful cartoons that Disney is putting on its XD channel. They are still talking about how the screwed up Deadpool in the Wolverine movie and make fun of me for trying to find a loophole in the story to try and defend it. And I couldn't be any less a non-Marvel fan.

However when it comes to if the movies are entertaining, yes they enjoy it but you would never catch them saying that Disney did a good service to the universe.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I grew up collecting Marvel comics and I have no complaints with how Disney is handling them. If anything, I wish they could wrest all their IPs back from Fox and Sony.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Geoff Boucher has apparently gotten ahold of spies close to the new STAR WARS projects and they claim that Harrison Ford is open to the concept of playing Han Solo again in this new Star Wars series.
:shock:
:D

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59483
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Darksider wrote:
Ralin wrote: Though I personally do like the idea that Palpatine would have had a bunch of minor Dark Side-wielding acolytes and servants running around.
No. Pretty much the only thing I agree with about Havok's general "fuck the EU" stance is that having pseudo-sith come flying out of the woodwork after ROTJ completely demeans Vader's sacrifice and the impact of his "prophecy." Have new dark side users, but don't call them sith or give them any connection to Palpatine whatsoever. Vader redeemed himself and wiped out the sith once and for all, end of their fucking story.
I find myself having to agree with that. The EU tries to get too cute with this. I tend to agree with whatever is on the screen is on the screen. Trying to throw too many twists feels like comic book writing. Sure, there's going to be stuff we haven't seen. I like the throwaway lines that imply there's adventures occurring we didn't happen to see like the bounty hunter Han mentioned in Empire. But when the revelations feel like retcons... Ugh.

The movies heavily implied that Palpatine and Vader were the only force users in the Imperial power structure. ANH made Vader seem more like an anachronism from an earlier age, like a ninja being Tojo's henchman and enforcer in WWII.

Vader having a secret apprentice, Palpatine having apprentices and clones, ugh. There's a reasonable proposition that the Death Star would have a research team and you wind up with a prototype the Hutts try to steal. You allow someone to write fiction concerning characters that appeared for five seconds in a film and warranted an action figure for it and you won't up with an assassin droid trying to skynet the Death Star.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I honestly wish they stuff the Jedi and the Sith into the backseat. The funny thing is, we got six movies now with three featuring the Jedi prominently and yet we don't really know a whole lot about them that isn't either based on interpreting what someone said or speculation on an event we saw. We know even less about the Sith aside from the obvious "We are t3h eeevil force users".
EU loves to delve into the Jedi / Sith split and this is all basically utter shit. The EU writers thought train runs like this: Take a piece from the movie, make a long chain of conjectures and assumptions based on it and spoon feed that garbage to fanboys till they bloat and explode.
Luke inspiring to become a Jedi works pretty much because we don't need to know a whole lot about the Jedi to understand why he wants to be one. Add some liberal seasoning of daddy issues and presto! You have a story that is neither new or deep but works fine for what are basically action movies. I mean, seriously. OT is stock full of action, the heroes are either shooting, jumping, running or fighting the bad guys all the time.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Ralin wrote:
Darksider wrote: Have new dark side users, but don't call them sith or give them any connection to Palpatine whatsoever. Vader redeemed himself and wiped out the sith once and for all, end of their fucking story.
Even if they didn't have a connection to Palpatine I think a good chunk of any new Dark Side users would call themselves Sith just to latch onto the tradition. Wouldn't you want to present yourself as the heir to the guys who took over the galaxy, whether it was true or not?
Exactly. The Sith are namely dark-side Force Users at the end of the day, and that is what upset the balance of the Force essentially. Calling yourself either Sith or Dark Jedi won't change matters much overall as the Force will still be affected by dark-side Force Users. I think the whole prophecy thing if it wasn't destroyed before by the successive line of (shoddy) EU will likely soon be dead as far as Disney is concerned. Honestly, I never liked that prophecy either way.
Last edited by Boeing 757 on 2012-11-06 02:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Darksider wrote:No. Pretty much the only thing I agree with about Havok's general "fuck the EU" stance is that having pseudo-sith come flying out of the woodwork after ROTJ completely demeans Vader's sacrifice and the impact of his "prophecy." Have new dark side users, but don't call them sith or give them any connection to Palpatine whatsoever. Vader redeemed himself and wiped out the sith once and for all, end of their fucking story.
To elaborate a little, I don't like this because it limits the stories that can be told. Specifically it limits the stories I most want to see. I like the Sith. They may not have much in the way of depth, but they are cartoonishly evil cackling wizards who shoot lightning and carry laser swords. I like Star Wars for a lot of reasons, but the main thing I read/watch it to see is people going at it with their lightsabers. Kill the Sith off entirely and you take away a lot of the possibilities for that. Which matters more to me than keeping the impact of Vader's sacrifice intact.

It's pretty much the same reason I've always disliked the Rule of Two.

EDIT:

By the way, when I Googled the thing about Lucas donating the entire four billion to post about it elsewhere all I found were articles about how he was donating most of it. Anyone have a recent source for him giving it all away?
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Galvatron wrote:
Geoff Boucher has apparently gotten ahold of spies close to the new STAR WARS projects and they claim that Harrison Ford is open to the concept of playing Han Solo again in this new Star Wars series.
:shock:
:D

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59483
The word "cameo" pops up into my head. This should be interesting now to see how it will play out.

Boeing 757
Padawan Learner

Post by Boeing 757 »

Double Post

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I'd rather see Ben alone in the desert for 17 years, trying to stave off madness and boredom while coming to terms with what happened to him and the Jedi. The years alone with his thoughts lead him to rationalize things to the extent we see in ANH with him lying to Luke about his father. Could be the last scene in the film. Or tell it backwards, him talking about Anikan to Luke and the movie is a series of flashbacks.

Drive home the feelings of loss and betrayal, put the emotion in that's been lacking since ROTJ, make it about actual people. Not a plank with a sword.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Ralin wrote:
Darksider wrote:No. Pretty much the only thing I agree with about Havok's general "fuck the EU" stance is that having pseudo-sith come flying out of the woodwork after ROTJ completely demeans Vader's sacrifice and the impact of his "prophecy." Have new dark side users, but don't call them sith or give them any connection to Palpatine whatsoever. Vader redeemed himself and wiped out the sith once and for all, end of their fucking story.
To elaborate a little, I don't like this because it limits the stories that can be told. Specifically it limits the stories I most want to see. I like the Sith. They may not have much in the way of depth, but they are cartoonishly evil cackling wizards who shoot lightning and carry laser swords. I like Star Wars for a lot of reasons, but the main thing I read/watch it to see is people going at it with their lightsabers. Kill the Sith off entirely and you take away a lot of the possibilities for that. Which matters more to me than keeping the impact of Vader's sacrifice intact.

It's pretty much the same reason I've always disliked the Rule of two
That's a big problem I had with it as well. Lightsabers seem like they beat blasters only if you have force skills. Therefore the only people you would be fighting who have lightsabers are other force users. Seems kind of strange to be proficient in a form of combat whose utility is only against an enemy everyone believes is extinct. There's far more opportunity if Sith only operate in master-apprentice pairs but there are many Sith out there.

Also, it lets them move away from senseless betrayal and backstabbing. The Sith are far more seductive if their arguments seem reasonable. People are stupid, they need ruling. You demonstrate your worth by dominating. You are a good and wise master, merciful when called for, merciless when not. Go all Ayn Rand on it. The usual Sith shit from the EU is like oh, you're considering evil? Murder everyone you love. "Gosh, this is so tempting!" Seriously, who would fall for that?

If there are many Sith, there are many opportunities for lightsaber duels. This is win-win.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Aaron MkII wrote:I'd rather see Ben alone in the desert for 17 years, trying to stave off madness and boredom while coming to terms with what happened to him and the Jedi. The years alone with his thoughts lead him to rationalize things to the extent we see in ANH with him lying to Luke about his father. Could be the last scene in the film. Or tell it backwards, him talking about Anikan to Luke and the movie is a series of flashbacks.

Drive home the feelings of loss and betrayal, put the emotion in that's been lacking since ROTJ, make it about actual people. Not a plank with a sword.
Since it's being called "Episode VII" and not "Episode III 1/2" I don't think that plot would really work. :razz:

But on a (slightly) more serious note, while I realize that the whole "fuck action, characters and themes ftw" has become a meme around here, I don't think your idea would work for an actual movie. An episode or two of a TV series or some novel? Sure why not. But an actual theatrical movie? I think not. It's still called Star Wars after all, not Star Introspection.

EDIT: And while I do think there's a place for a work to totally defy its expected conventions, I don't think a full Star Wars film is the place for it. Like I said, an episode of a TV series or novel or whatever, sure. But for a movie there really should be some pews pews, explosions, a lightsaber fight or two and some sort of action in general. Heck if that was a subplot to a SW movie maybe, depending on how/if they could make it fit without bringing the main plot screeching to a halt.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hmm, well apparently Ford is open to reprising his role, as are Hamill and Fisher according to "sources" based on a CNN article.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Havok wrote:Hmm, well apparently Ford is open to reprising his role, as are Hamill and Fisher according to "sources" based on a CNN article.
A long-term contract I have a-signed and I'll be making these movies 'till the end of time, oh my Yoda, Y-O-D-A Yoda.... :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No thanks. I don't want them reprising those roles. Luke, Leia and Han in the Thrawn trilogy was OK because that was a measly five years after the OT in-universe and it didn't have the actual actors, for whom it was more like 20. Luke, Leia and Han in the Hand of Thrawn duology was okay because it was like 10 years in universe, and it didn't have the actual actors, for whom it was more like 30. (And before anybody points out I got the actual numbers wrong-I probably did. Point remains it's been too damned long in the real world).
I want those characters to be at the centre of the story or not there at all, and given the age of the actors, that's going to take some doing.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner

Post by Boeing 757 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... upjQs&NR=1

Anyone else happen to see this yet? It seems that George and his new Disney friends have a whole bunch of upcoming ideas in store for us--some perhaps drawing inspiration even from the comics, books and games!

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

RogueIce wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:I'd rather see Ben alone in the desert for 17 years, trying to stave off madness and boredom while coming to terms with what happened to him and the Jedi. The years alone with his thoughts lead him to rationalize things to the extent we see in ANH with him lying to Luke about his father. Could be the last scene in the film. Or tell it backwards, him talking about Anikan to Luke and the movie is a series of flashbacks.

Since it's being called "Episode VII" and not "Episode III 1/2" I don't think that plot would really work. :razz:

But on a (slightly) more serious note, while I realize that the whole "fuck action, characters and themes ftw" has become a meme around here, I don't think your idea would work for an actual movie. An episode or two of a TV series or some novel? Sure why not. But an actual theatrical movie? I think not. It's still called Star Wars after all, not Star Introspection.

EDIT: And while I do think there's a place for a work to totally defy its expected conventions, I don't think a full Star Wars film is the place for it. Like I said, an episode of a TV series or novel or whatever, sure. But for a movie there really should be some pews pews, explosions, a lightsaber fight or two and some sort of action in general. Heck if that was a subplot to a SW movie maybe, depending on how/if they could make it fit without bringing the main plot screeching to a halt.
Should the vapourware live action TV series come about, I would have no problem with that being an episode or even an arc.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

jollyreaper wrote:That's a big problem I had with it as well. Lightsabers seem like they beat blasters only if you have force skills. Therefore the only people you would be fighting who have lightsabers are other force users. Seems kind of strange to be proficient in a form of combat whose utility is only against an enemy everyone believes is extinct. There's far more opportunity if Sith only operate in master-apprentice pairs but there are many Sith out there.
The Dark Side is quick, easy, and seductive. It stands to reason that a guy who is basically an amateur at being a Jedi (Luke) might lose a student or two along the way to rebuilding a Jedi order. Someone will get too curious and/or two emotional and go down the dark path.
jollyreaper wrote:Also, it lets them move away from senseless betrayal and backstabbing. The Sith are far more seductive if their arguments seem reasonable. People are stupid, they need ruling. You demonstrate your worth by dominating. You are a good and wise master, merciful when called for, merciless when not. Go all Ayn Rand on it. The usual Sith shit from the EU is like oh, you're considering evil? Murder everyone you love. "Gosh, this is so tempting!" Seriously, who would fall for that?
A new Sith order has no reason to follow the old rules. There's no old Sith Lord around to enforce them.
jollyreaper wrote:If there are many Sith, there are many opportunities for lightsaber duels. This is win-win.
We wouldn't want too many, but there should be enough that the stories can afford to kill one occasionally without running us out of cool villains.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Tychu wrote: They are still talking about how the screwed up Deadpool in the Wolverine movie and make fun of me for trying to find a loophole in the story to try and defend it. And I couldn't be any less a non-Marvel fan.
The movie versions of Deadpool and Wolverine have nothing to do with Disney. Is it Fox that licensed them? It was before Disney bought Marvel, anyway. Fantastic Four is also out of Disney's control.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Fallen Jedi are possible from the new school but Jedi academy has left such a bad taste I don't even want to go there!

And yes, it makes sense that the Sith name can be adopted with the new acolytes not knowing a thing about it.