Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 has officially started shooting.

Post by Channel72 »

Tribble wrote:I wasn't expecting Anakin to be perfect, I was expecting his fall to the Dark Side to be gradual. As in, slaughtering an entire village of people should have been one of the last things he did before becoming Vader, rather than in the middle of the second prequel. Really, if that one scene in AOTC had been removed or at least altered so that Anakin only killed those who were responsible rather than every single fucking person, I think his character would be a lot better for it.
Yeah, and it's particularly jarring that after the massacre scene in AOTC, the script treats Anakin as a standard action hero who we're supposed to root for. We're expected to cheer for Anakin as he fights monsters and exchanges quips with Padme in the Geonosis Colosseum.

Anakin's descent towards evil is way too spastic.
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Batman wrote:The Jedi doing beans about slavery in the Outer Rim means they didn't have jurisdiction there because of what again?
The Jedi serve the Republic, just as described by Obi-Wan in 1977. Tatooine ( and Hutt Space in general ) is not part of the Republic. What about that is hard to understand?
Batman wrote:And how, exactly, do you envision the Jedi actually doing something about the situation leading a)to a war between the Hutts and the OR and b) the Old Republic having a problem with that?
You don't think the Hutts would have a problem with the Jedi freeing all their slaves?
Batman wrote:The term 'non-sequitur' comes to mind.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
Batman wrote:The Jedi doing beans about slavery in the Outer Rim means they didn't have jurisdiction there because of what again?
The Jedi serve the Republic, just as described by Obi-Wan in 1977. Tatooine ( and Hutt Space in general ) is not part of the Republic. What about that is hard to understand?
Nothing. It's also completely irrelevant because I didn't say they have jurisdiction, I said the mere fact they didn't do anything doesn't automatically mean they don't have jurisdiction.
Batman wrote:And how, exactly, do you envision the Jedi actually doing something about the situation leading a)to a war between the Hutts and the OR and b) the Old Republic having a problem with that?
You don't think the Hutts would have a problem with the Jedi freeing all their slaves?
I think they'd be a lot less unhappy about that than they'd be about being at war with an opponent that out-everythings them roughly infinity to one, yes.
Batman wrote:The term 'non-sequitur' comes to mind.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.
One of us certainly doesn't.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Batman wrote:
I think they'd be a lot less unhappy about that than they'd be about being at war with an opponent that out-everythings them roughly infinity to one, yes.
You mean, 10.000 Jedi >>> major galactic power? How? :roll:

Hutts actually were one of largest non-Republic entities in the Galaxy, and not only they had enough means to 'disappear' a few meddling Jedi, I can also easily see the Senate throwing a few scapegoat Jedi under the bus in the interest of peace. Even fucking Palpatine didn't mess with the Hutts, and you say crumbling, stagnating Jedi order and largely military-less Republic would do that? Why?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Irbis wrote:You mean, 10.000 Jedi >>> major galactic power? How? :roll:

Hutts actually were one of largest non-Republic entities in the Galaxy, and not only they had enough means to 'disappear' a few meddling Jedi, I can also easily see the Senate throwing a few scapegoat Jedi under the bus in the interest of peace. Even fucking Palpatine didn't mess with the Hutts, and you say crumbling, stagnating Jedi order and largely military-less Republic would do that? Why?
I wonder how much of that is cannon now anyway. And how much of that we could know from watching the movies...
I certainly don't remember that map being shown.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Purple wrote:I wonder how much of that is cannon now anyway. And how much of that we could know from watching the movies...
Well, we know Jabba, a single hutt, was de facto ruler of Tatooine, IIRC Hutts are also very important in SW CGI animated series, to the point highest leaders of both Republic and Separatists take time to negotiate with them.
I certainly don't remember that map being shown.
*shrug* We know from the mouth of Qui Gon himself that Trade Federation has no influence on Tatooine because Hutts are too strong. By canon, they are able to resist galaxy-spanning power. More, they are apparently strong enough to make Republic credits non accepted currency on their worlds except on their terms. They are also strong enough Han Solo doesn't consider being major rebellion officer to be sufficient protection from a single Hutt.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Don't know if it's been posted yet but Lucasfilm have said that the film ignores EU. So how does that effect the cannon of the books?
A post on Starwars.com officially confirms what fans have been hearing for the past three months: the complex and detailed future history of the Star Wars universe that has been slowly accreting since the 1990s will be completely ignored by the new trilogy of films. Per the post, "Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe."

The confirmation is being met with a mixed reaction from fans over on Star Wars uber-site TheForce.net. "Thank you for wasting 20 years of my life," said one poster. "I honestly may be done with Star Wars at this point."

"The simple truth is that canon is whatever the license holder says it is. Fans need to wrap their heads around that," responded another.

According to the post, the reasons for the move have been previously mentioned: the Star Wars Expanded Universe is a vast, massively interconnected tapestry. The timeline that casual fans will want to hear the most about—and the timeline that Disney will be targeting with the new trilogy—occurs after Return of the Jedi and encompasses the continuing adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia. Few topics are as well-trodden in the EU as the Return of the Jedi aftermath—Han and Leia wed and have children, Luke meets former Imperial agent-turned-smuggler Mara Jade, and the New Republic is formed. The sheer bulk of storytelling that's been done about the post-RotJ time period would hopelessly tie the hands of any scriptwriter wanting to step in and show the events on film.

Expanded Universe diehards need not feel too bad, though, because the massive amount of EU material will all still be available for sale. Lucasfilm is creating a new "Star Wars Legends" banner under which the now non-canonical stories will be published (be they books, role-playing materials, games, or anything else).
Further Reading
Op-ed: Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe

And good riddance, because almost all of it is crap.

The shift means huge swaths of dearly held story elements and characters that Star Wars EU fans have come to accept as canonical will be swept aside. Mara Jade is out, and fan favorite villain Grand Admiral Thrawn is most likely gone too. Also gone will be any mention of Han and Leia's EU Jedi children, Jaina and Jacen, along with the Jedi academy and all its associated bits. There will be no Yuuzhan Vong, and no associated death of Chewbacca.

"We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."

The first movie in the trilogy, an as-yet unnamed Episode VII, premieres on December 18, 2015.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The existing is now non-canon and being sold under a new 'Star Wars Legends' banner. Info's in the 'new canon' thread.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Irbis wrote:Well, we know Jabba, a single hutt, was de facto ruler of Tatooine
I newer got that impression from the original movies. Jabba always struck me more like a godfather character than a proper ruler.
IIRC Hutts are also very important in SW CGI animated series, to the point highest leaders of both Republic and Separatists take time to negotiate with them.
Which means very little to nothing if we are evaluating the movies. Since the creators could not exactly expect the viewer to watch a cartoon series that came out afterward before watching the movies.
*shrug* We know from the mouth of Qui Gon himself that Trade Federation has no influence on Tatooine because Hutts are too strong. By canon, they are able to resist galaxy-spanning power.
There are a number of explanations to this other than the Huts being a serious force. Like for example their criminal activities being so widespread and well known that they can pull leverage on almost everyone, including the TF's. Or that the huts are just too strong in the sense that openly fighting against them would draw far too much attention to be worth it. Just see what Naboo brought on. And for all we know from the movies it's a rather generic world not belonging to any power group that we know off.

Plus, the trade federation did not exactly display much power in the original movie when they first appeared. They might well have not been terribly militarized at all. It's certainly plausible given just how easy it would be to churn out armies of droids if someone wanted to.
More, they are apparently strong enough to make Republic credits non accepted currency on their worlds except on their terms.
Which is something that requires absolutely no strength at all. It is completely accepted that when you enter a foreign country vendors will no longer take your money until you exchange it. And Tatoine was not a part of the republic.

A better question is why they did not just start looking for an exchange office. Maybe it would have drawn too much attention or something?
They are also strong enough Han Solo doesn't consider being major rebellion officer to be sufficient protection from a single Hutt.
Define major. We newer saw any major displays of the rebel alliance well up until ROTJ. And it is to be expected that by virtue of being an underground insurgency the rebel alliance would rather sacrifice a random smuggler that helped them than miff off any organization with the kind of money and connections the huts are implied to have.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Lucasfilm has just announced the cast on the official LFL Facebook-page. Besides Ford, Fisher, Hamill and Mayhew, Adam Driver, Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow are in.

ETA: Star Wars.com: Episode VII Cast Announced (I couldn't get in though).
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Mange wrote:Lucasfilm has just announced the cast on the official LFL Facebook-page. Besides Ford, Fisher, Hamill and Mayhew, Adam Driver, Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow are in.

ETA: Star Wars.com: Episode VII Cast Announced (I couldn't get in though).
hreres another link http://io9.com/star-wars-episode-vii-ca ... 1569312302

he Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Curious who van Sydow is going to play.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

JME2 wrote:Curious who van Sydow is going to play.
It's von Sydow! (Van is Dutch) Sorry, but as a Swede, I had to point that out. :P Yes, that was unexpected. He's in his mid-eighties so...
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

JME2 wrote:Curious who van Sydow is going to play.
to me he screams old imperial officer

my favorite on the list is
Anthony Daniels
it's kind of like well duh Oh there's something star wars related and Anthony Daniels is gonna be in it??? SHOCKER!!

I wonder if this is something star wars related where he didn't play C-3p0
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It's going to be interesting to see Hamill back as Luke.

Enough time has passed that I think of him less as Luke and more as the Joker or even Firelord Ozai.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

malguslover wrote:I wonder if this is something star wars related where he didn't play C-3p0
He already did, this guy, in a few scenes:

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Irbis wrote:
malguslover wrote:I wonder if this is something star wars related where he didn't play C-3p0
He already did, this guy, in a few scenes:

i meant to say if there was something with C-3p0 where it wasn't him lol
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

This makes me so happy

our cast :D :D :D
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I honestly do not expect all of the six returning characters to survive the next trilogy. At all. I'm only hoping that they don't have the Bad Guy saber-dice up Luke just so the audience can be reminded that he's the Bad Guy. At this point, my friends and I are placing bets on which classic character of mix of characters they imagine will be offed (I have $10 on Luke and Chewie dying, with Leia, Han and the droids surviving. I also have a $5 side wager on R2D2 somehow being integral to the inevitable victory somehow).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Maybe I just don't follow British media enough, but I've never even heard of these new actors. Except Serkis, and only because they mentioned he played Gollum. I wouldn't have known his name otherwise.

EDIT: Which is not to say that's a bad thing, since the OT cast was pretty obscure in 1977 as well. I don't know if McGregor or Portman had much to their resumes before Episode I, or Christiansen prior to Episode II, either.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Portman had The Professional at least, I believe.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

JME2 wrote:Portman had The Professional at least, I believe.
Was that the Luc Besson film where she's a teenager trained to be a sniper? With Gary Oldman as the police officer/bad guy?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Was that the Luc Besson film where she's a teenager trained to be a sniper? With Gary Oldman as the police officer/bad guy?
Yeah. It's called Leon in some places.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Gandalf wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Yeah. It's called Leon in some places.
I thought so. Good film if a little weird.

At any rate, I'm excited that they've got some of the original cast back.

I'm also excited that they haven't got Ian McDiarmind (sp?) which means Palpatine won't be coming back as a clone or a force ghost or something.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm pleased to see that Andy Serkis will be in it. But its a pity that the talk about Gary Oldman being in it seems to be false.