Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

Post by Batman »

When was the last time that has stopped Hollywood? Note that LSMx didn't say that was in any way a good idea-just that somebody is going to think there's money in it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Havok wrote:
LMSx wrote:I wonder for how long the Special Editions took wind out of the sails for a reboot? Now that the IP is nested in Disney's warm busom, I would think that 10-15 years out there's going to be some antsy shareholders who want to see it reinvented.
There is no reason to reinvent what has been done. Especially with Star Wars. Do you honestly think there is anyone out there that can recreate the magic that the OT captured? It wasn't just the movies, it was the place we were in as a society. It was also the fact that nothing like that had been seen before on screen in that way.

No, Star Wars is a big place just do some new shit and don't even reference the OT/PT unless as legend or as prophecy.
My question isn't about artistry, it's about somebody in the 2020s in the Disney corporate structure eyeballing a bottom line. Now that I think about it more it seems like Star Wars is more like Harry Potter than a superhero film or Star Trek, in that each movie is designed as part of a bigger whole. So maybe rebooting something like that is less likely than I feared.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I can't say I'm certain if this will be a good thing or bad thing in the long run. It does seem very abrupt and unexpected of Lucas to sell so suddenly. However, I don't think the 2015 film date is realistic unless there is already a fairly advanced script being worked on. A bit over two and a half years to write and polish a script, casting, primary filming, edit the film, special effects, re-shoot as necessary, and then get it into theaters? Especially when you want the first Disney-Star Wars film to knock everyone's socks off (reestablish the brand, reassure the vocal fanbase) and not derail a potential, long-term cash-cow. The time frame is cutting it real close. As for the EU, they can toss that trash and start over for all I care (there are a few decent diamonds in the rough, but most of it is better off forgotten). Better to ignore it then try and wipe it out or use it though.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Havok wrote:It wasn't just the movies, it was the place we were in as a society.
To be fair, the PT also reflected the place we were in as a society.

It's just that it was a crappier place.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

1999 was not a crappier time than '77 in the US.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Economically, no, socially, no.

But part of the "place" society is in is about power relationships, about the nature and scale of society's dreams, things like that. That's when we start talking about decadence, rise and fall of empires, that sort of thing. Arawn might be right, or at least coherent, if he's talking on that level.

It might well be that art reflecting the zeitgeist of 1999 would be worse art than art reflecting the zeitgeist of 1977, even if you'd be better fed and happier in 1999.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Howard the Duck: 2015!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Hey, I liked Howard the Duck.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You know, Howard the Duck wouldn't be a bad thing to bring back. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Okay, that was unexpected.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

:banghead: I have a baaaad feeling Episode VII will end up like 'Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest'- with Episode VIII ending up like 'At World's End'- i.e., with such a hack writer for the screenplay, I want to deny the movies' very existence, to preserve what fond memories I have for the original film(s).
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Broken wrote:It does seem very abrupt and unexpected of Lucas to sell so suddenly.
You said it. I wonder if Lucas has age-related health problems that led him to decide, "It's time for me to retire and... spend the rest of my days counting money."
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

:banghead: I have a baaaad feeling Episode VII will end up like 'Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest'- with Episode VIII ending up like 'At World's End'- i.e., with such a hack writer for the screenplay, I want to deny the movies' very existence, to preserve what fond memories I have for the original film(s).
So...kinda like everything past the original Highlander?
TK-984
Redshirt

Post by TK-984 »

All they really need is one of the big three to hand it off like nu-Trek.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

They did some pretty convincing CGI people in Avatar. With modern tech, if Hamil doesn't have the right "look" for Luke anymore, the can have a CGI Luke with him doing the voice. Then he really will be just like Yoda.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I hope they ignore the EU* and make new movies that are good above all. I would love for some of the original cast to reappear, although honestly I think that (with the exception of Anthony Daniels) it should only be as cameos, perhaps as Luke being the wise old mentor who sends our new hero out on his (or her) adventure.

*Although I am not against them name dropping characters or borrowing the rough ideas of existing plots, I don't want any adaptations being made or the EU even being taken into account when planning the movies.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The worse thing I've heard so far is there is going to be more Star Wars film. I could not care less if the new movies are going to follow the EU stories or not, what concerns me is that there are going to be MORE Star Wars stories.

EU has already done a pretty good job destroying the Star Wars series by having Luke and Co fight a new war every 2-3 years. We do not need more movies to do the same thing, creating a never ending amount of wars for our heroes to fight.

Do we really need to see more Star wars stories on the big screen?
Last edited by ray245 on 2012-10-30 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well, if you buy something for a heap of money, you probably want to make some money out of it. Disney didn't buy this stuff to admire it on the mantlepiece.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

ray245 wrote:The worse thing I've heard so far is there is going to be more Star Wars film. I could not care less if the new movies are going to follow the EU stories or not, what concerns me is that there are going to be MORE Star Wars stories.

EU has already done a pretty good job destroying the Star Wars series by having Luke and Co fight a new war every 2-3 years. We do not need more movies to do the same thing, creating a never ending amount of wars for our heroes to fight.

Do we really need to see more Star wars stories on the big screen?
The sequels don't necessarily need to have Luke and Co. hanging around at all.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Stark wrote:Well, if you buy something for a heap of money, you probably want to make some money out of it. Disney didn't buy this stuff to admire it on the mantlepiece.
I'm not saying they should not attempt to make more money out of the Star Wars franchise. I just do not know whether I want to see Star Wars Episode 7, 8 and 9.

The box office of the next Star Wars movie will tell us whether the movie going public is exhausted with more Star Wars movies.
The sequels don't necessarily need to have Luke and Co. hanging around at all.
Doesn't mean the directors and the writers of the next Star Wars will think the same.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So did they scrap the rereleases? Because ANH would have been set to come out in 2015. So Disney would have ANH 3D, Avengers 2 and Episode VII all in 2015?

Well I don't know if that would work but it'd certainly be ambitious of them.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah three movies made by two different studios would be a very very difficult task. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

I agree with the sentiment stated a few pages back, denying Lucas the rights to Flash Gordon was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Star Wars has been thoroughly mined out. It needs to be left fallow for a good, long time before anyone revisits the universe. Maybe that shouldn't ever happen.

So much of what works in mythic storytelling is revisiting old ideas in new guises. As a kid I bought the church line about everything in the book being the divine revelation of God. It was quite a different kind of revelation to discover how the crafty old Israelites were violating the IP rights of other, more ancient religions. Likewise, as a child I approached Star Wars as a singular work of genius and had no awareness of what had come before.

The stories that speak to us use the emotional levers that are all part of the human condition. The old tropes were laid down when there there were still other hominid species competing with us. They only feel cliche when we have become used to them; to the young they are still novel and lively. New stories with new characters help to make them feel less shopworn, finding new twists and turns to explore.

By way of comparison, I think there's still room for remaking the Star Trek tropes of pro-science, future-positive thinking. There's a need for hopeful scifi, a universe where problems have solutions. I really didn't care for the JJ Abrams reboot and I don't even think we need Trek in particular but i think the role of a Trek needs filling. Given enough time and space, we might be ready for another Star Wars. But something that feels new, not reheated and chewed over.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'll bet Disney would love having three almost guaranteed blockbusters released in a single year. They could schedule the ANH release on May 25, so that it comes out on the anniversary of ANH's first release. Then do Avengers 2 in July, and finally Star Wars VII in the Christmas season (possibly on Christmas, which is a huge movie day).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm telling you guys,,, they are going to release EPVII in May. If something gets bumped it will be Avengers 2, but there is no reason to. Both movies are going to be seen by millions and millions of people and almost no one is going to have an issue paying to see both.

The issue with me is Disney now has to buy the "Fox Fanfare" to put at the beginning of the movie. :)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)