The **** Official **** Stardestroyer Thread

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Dark empire was a comic series wasn't it? Any way how much do you guys alow for artistic expression when it comes to comic series and cannon? I've read the cannon statments but what if the artist wanted a stardestroyer and just jazzed it up alittle with his own interpretation of one.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Knife wrote:Dark empire was a comic series wasn't it? Any way how much do you guys alow for artistic expression when it comes to comic series and cannon? I've read the cannon statments but what if the artist wanted a stardestroyer and just jazzed it up alittle with his own interpretation of one.
If he wanted ISDs then he should of drew ISDs, no those are viewed different destroyers and cruisers.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sure, I agree that they sould draw exactly what they want to show, but that does not mean that an artist working on the comic series does that. What should the limit be in regards to the artistic expression and when should we start disregarding what we see in a comic book? As far as I can tell the only example of cruisers larger than a SD with the exception of a SSD is in comics right? So can we take the art literaly or do you alow for expression on the part of the person who draws it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Knife wrote:Sure, I agree that they sould draw exactly what they want to show, but that does not mean that an artist working on the comic series does that. What should the limit be in regards to the artistic expression and when should we start disregarding what we see in a comic book? As far as I can tell the only example of cruisers larger than a SD with the exception of a SSD is in comics right? So can we take the art literaly or do you alow for expression on the part of the person who draws it.
In take it literally, just like Mr. Saxton, face it, if he wanted ISDs he should of drew ISDs.

Post by Guest »

This is exactly why comics shouldn't be used as canon. :roll:
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Commander LeoRo wrote:This is exactly why comics shouldn't be used as canon. :roll:
Whas wrong with comics they ar quite good visual sources, and those can be debate unlike novels.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I have not read that many of the Star Wars comics, but in reading Mr. Saxton's site I noticed that alot, not all but alot of the other classes of ships are the background views of fleets. Thats why I asked the original question. The background vessels , if you will, have simular lines of a ISD but in small ways differ, is this artistic expression or a new class of vessel. My question did not apply to ships like the dominator or soverign class stardestroyers, they are obviously suppost to be different vessels.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

The problem is that they are sillouetes, we can't see if there are multiple ships, if there is some kind of platform IE a Golan, or if those ships are in a dock. As such, I do not agree with Dr. Saxton's reasoning.

Besides, it's not just DE where he pulls these from. For example, Levitan was clearly trying to potray ISDs, but Saxton uses scaling to claim them as another new class.

And then he claims there is no hange on the belly of the VSD in DE2, when it is there, it's even a darker green.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

consequences wrote:stronger shields, but weaker hull, and they can't match the heaviest guns of an imperator
Lets do the math, shall we?

ISD2:
64 HTLs
60 MTLs
60 LTLS
unknown Ions
Total volley output: 415,000,000 MT + Ions

Republic:
240 HTLs (40 in batteries of 5, + 40 independent)
20 Heavy Ion Cannons
Total volley output: 1,500,000,000 MT + Ions

The Republic frickin smokes it. If you do an indepth comparrison, the Republic is the most powerful ship after the Executor class.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Jadeite wrote:What novel or novels was the Chimaera damaged and abandoned in, and then recaptured by Pellaeon?
It is merntioned in Gamer that a group of Imperial Loyalist slicers hacked into the Republic computers, forged and order for the Chimera to be decommissioned and disassembled, then captured it and brought it back to Pelleon as a morale builder after he lost his SSD in the Adumar campaign.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

But it's stated the Republic class is not 2 times stronger, but as strong as an ISD II!!!
Supermod
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

If I recall correctly I should add.
Supermod
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Cpt_Frank wrote:But it's stated the Republic class is not 2 times stronger, but as strong as an ISD II!!!
But the numbers prove differently!!!

Feel free to check my extraordinarily simple math. 200 GT MTLS, 50 GT LTLs, 6250 GT HTLS

Numbers are correct. Even if you assume different values, you will end up with the Republic being far stronger.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Nonetheless strange!!!
Should the Republic really be such a nasty piece o' ship???
Supermod
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Yes!!!

After all, it was fighting the warrlords and the Reborn Empereor when the ship was designed!!! Lot's oh Nasty ships it needed to deal with!!!

Can we stop with the 3 punctuation marks now??? Maybe switch to haiku instead???
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Ender wrote:Yes!!!

After all, it was fighting the warrlords and the Reborn Empereor when the ship was designed!!! Lot's oh Nasty ships it needed to deal with!!!

Can we stop with the 3 punctuation marks now??? Maybe switch to haiku instead???
Eh, no the Republic Star Destroyers were designed after the Reborn Emperor...
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
AL
Padawan Learner

Post by AL »

if i may where are we getting the numbers of tl for the republic class?????
AL
Padawan Learner

Post by AL »

Are we even sure that there would be a Republic Class Star Destroyer? Many of the EU craft are based on WEG and we all know how accurate WEG is not!!!

I would argue that there would be no need for the New Republic to build Republic class Star Destroyers when they have the Mon Cal Star Cruisers that can go head to head with ISD'S.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Captain Lennox wrote:
Ender wrote:Yes!!!

Eh, no the Republic Star Destroyers were designed after the Reborn Emperor...
Incorrect. The new ships of the Republic fleet were all designed during and after the DE period. Read the Essential Chronology.
AL wrote:if i may where are we getting the numbers of tl for the republic class?????
Page 3 of this thread. Might be page 4.
Are we even sure that there would be a Republic Class Star Destroyer? Many of the EU craft are based on WEG and we all know how accurate WEG is not!!!

I would argue that there would be no need for the New Republic to build Republic class Star Destroyers when they have the Mon Cal Star Cruisers that can go head to head with ISD'S.
It is mentioned in passing in the BFC books.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hmm btw, a thought just crossed my mind: Mon mothma wanted to decomission ECS, because she didn't want the republic to resemble the military dictatorship the Empire was.
But keep those Republican class in the navy which are stronger than Imperators?
With these ships as the mainstay of the fleet they probably had a naval force almost as strong as that of the Empire at its height!
Then the republican sd is nothing but a politically correct (ie small and harmless looking) version of a really nasty warship the Empire would have been proud of! They merely hide their military might.
God the New Republic's just so politically correct fucked up.
Supermod
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Cpt_Frank wrote:God the New Republic's just so politically correct fucked up.
No argument here.

Now a new topic:

According to the new ISD stats (from WOTC, no relevence to actual debate I know), the weapons payload of the ISD1 has been altered.

It now mounts 40 Point Defense lasers in addition to the standard 60 60 loadout.

Thoughts?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
No argument here.
So I guess you agree?
It now mounts 40 Point Defense lasers in addition to the standard 60 60 loadout.
Probably mid-ranged, very accurate (ie good targeting systems) and about the yield as starfighter canons are.
Good to have them there nonetheless since now all 120 offensive canons can shoot at the Starfleet ships (ahem) while the point defense canons take down the missiles.
Supermod
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
Cpt_Frank wrote:
No argument here.
So I guess you agree?
About the NR being screwy? Yes.
Probably mid-ranged, very accurate (ie good targeting systems) and about the yield as starfighter canons are.
Good to have them there nonetheless since now all 120 offensive canons can shoot at the Starfleet ships (ahem) while the point defense canons take down the missiles.
Yes, but how does this fit with all the accounts of torpedoes taking down shields (like it or not, we have to factor X-wing into this)? Are they perhaps only present on ISD1s? Also, is this more of Saxton's doing, as he was the one who pushed for PD cannons in ICS?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
AL
Padawan Learner

Post by AL »

How about realistic data of an ISD, ISD II

64 38cm sized turbolaser for turning emeny ships to swiss cheese.
Medium guns in the brim trenched.
at least 60 19cm turbo lasers number of emplacements could be more
at least 60 60mm laser cannons for point defense vs sf and missiles
at least 60 80 mm ion cannons for point defense defense to augment the point def lasers. Check out Saxtons sight about the ISD's in general and examin the movie models for accuracy.

vs

a smaller less armed Republic class should it exist. I would argue the Republic class wouldn't stand a chance vs an ISD or ISD II, so why waiste the money to build them when you already have a proven warship in the cal cruisers. Unless the New Republic is a big fan of Government spending. I'm still no convinced an RSD would even exist. I just don't place much faith in any of the eu writers. I know shame on me, perhaps if they made those books more realistic and gave them a story line consistant with Star Wars I would, Oh well enough of me I'm Ranting on and on and besides no one really cares anyway.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I used those numbers in my comparrison.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf