Possible Clone Mutiny?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Possible Clone Mutiny?

Post by Solauren »

NecronLord wrote: 2023-03-22 06:25pm Have you seen the stormtrooper cadet training in Rebels? They're trained not only to not work as a team but to try and one-up one another to look good for the brass, it's both the kind of tough-guy shit you can imagine an authoritarian regime doing easily, and also one of the most devastating to unit effectiveness ideas one can think of.
That would also kill alot of creative thinking and situational awareness stuff.

After all, why bother when someone else is going to take or get credit?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-22 10:15pm
NecronLord wrote: 2023-03-22 06:25pm Have you seen the stormtrooper cadet training in Rebels? They're trained not only to not work as a team but to try and one-up one another to look good for the brass, it's both the kind of tough-guy shit you can imagine an authoritarian regime doing easily, and also one of the most devastating to unit effectiveness ideas one can think of.
That would also kill alot of creative thinking and situational awareness stuff.

After all, why bother when someone else is going to take or get credit?
Indeed. My only quibble is that what we saw in Rebels wasn't actual stormtrooper training; but preparatory training for teenage recruits. That said, it fits a little too well to be dismissed.

The Zare Leonis stories offer a little more insight. While at the Lothal academy, he noted that the academy talked a good game about teamwork, yet rewarded selfishness in practice. His mentor, Lieutenant Chiron, claimed that the exercises force cadets to weigh competing priorities. The implication is that fulfilling the mission is more important than the wellbeing of one's comrades or subordinates.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

And so this series ends with a two-parter.
Spoiler
Farewell Tech. Your name liveth forevermore.
I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Saw Gerrera; he just can't catch a break. Infiltrating an enemy military base using stolen uniforms is doable (and has been done in RL), but it takes a lot of preparation and is extremely risky. The Bad Batch got inside to a great extent because of him disabling the security cameras (it is implied), while their own break-in alerted the Imperials (it is implied). And all he had to show for it was one wrecked base; with the Imperial bigwigs alive and unharmed (including Tarkin and Krennic).

On a lighter note, we get a few more insights. Once again stormtroopers get mown down; but character shield applies. During the monorail battle, we see three or four stormtroopers crowding around an open door in order to shoot; exposing themselves in the process. This fits what we've seen of stormtrooper doctrine; charge in and hit them hard with as much firepower as possible, from as close as possible, and as many angles as possible.

And as we see near the end; even clone commandos have an accuracy problem when faced with character shield.

But the conference was the crucial bit. We learn that Hemlock's goal is to unlock Kaminoan knowledge and create an 'enlightened society'; with the clones as the perfect test subjects. Barton Coburn (from Clone Wars) warns that the clones will react badly - and violently - if word of this gets out.

I would now be both surprised and disappointed if there isn't a mass clone revolt of some kind; they've done some pretty serious buildup. At the very least the current plot will have to be followed up, with Omega stuck in Mount Tantiss, and having met her 'sister.'