The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by Batman »

How does this pertain to The Madalorian, which happens at around 20 years before that?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'd imagine that Filoni is using it to lay the groundwork for what eventually happens to the New Republic.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ep 4 is out. "The Foundling"

Again, I wonder just WHO they were talking about here - Grogu or Bo Katan.

But we get more background on how Grogu was spirited off Coruscant, and how many lives it cost. Interesting who provided the escape ship.

On FB, a friend-of-friend asked "Why the hell are they on this planet where dragon turtles eat your men and dinosaurians fly off with kids more than once?"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I know habitable planets are a a dime a dozen in Wars but maybe they didn't have much choice if they wanted to remain hidden?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Perhaps their wacky TNG Klingon style culture compels them to settle in places with a high adversity rating?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If you think about it, the Star Wars universe has an appalling lack of concern for the physical safety of people. Absolutely nothing OSHA compliant - no guardrails no matter how long the drop, as one classic example. It's just more of the same.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-03-24 05:57am If you think about it, the Star Wars universe has an appalling lack of concern for the physical safety of people. Absolutely nothing OSHA compliant - no guardrails no matter how long the drop, as one classic example. It's just more of the same.
Survival of the Fittest! :lol: :lol:

More seriously, I completely missed WHO played the Jedi that took Grogu away from the Temple and got them on a ship. Nice touch, although I understand he's been running a "Legend of the Hidden Temple" type show at Galaxy's Edge as this same(?) Jedi. Having the ship be a Naboo transport is extra, another nod to his last appearance on film.

It does brings up Questions
We see Sen. Organa was there and saw the troopers killing Jedi. He got off-planet to find Kenobi and Yoda to bring them back to the Temple.
Now we see a Naboo transport used to escape, at what seemed like a Planned Meet-up, with the Naboo troops expecting far more Jedi than those that arrived.
Did Organa get the info to Mon Motha, Iblis, Padme/JarJar, and the other allied Senators about the attack? How did they get the message to the Jedi Temple that there were escape routes available?

Somehow I don't think we'll find those answers, as we're looking through Grogu's (trauma) eyes at things that happened 20-25yrs before.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It's also possible that the 'rebel senators' and certain Jedi had something set up as a 'worse case scenario' to evacuate the Jedi.

Even if it was set up in the background of ROTS after the attack on Coruscant.

After all, with the Jedi now out hunting Grevious with their forces, Coruscant would be ripe for a full scale attack, not just the 'attempt to kidnap the CHancellor that would have worked if Dooku hadn't decided to use it as bait for Kenobi + Skywalker'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2023-03-23 08:45pm I know habitable planets are a a dime a dozen in Wars but maybe they didn't have much choice if they wanted to remain hidden?
Look at how much they were shooting into the lake at the start. If that's how they want to behave, that does limit suitable hiding spots.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that, it doesn't even make sense as a form of shooting range/target practice. Maybe they were checking weapons for jams or something?

I try not to think too hard about some aspects of Star Wars, it can ruin my enjoyment.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-03-24 02:23pm Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that, it doesn't even make sense as a form of shooting range/target practice. Maybe they were checking weapons for jams or something?

I try not to think too hard about some aspects of Star Wars, it can ruin my enjoyment.
It could also be a mando version of shooting into the air for celebration some parts of our own world have.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-24 11:08am It's also possible that the 'rebel senators' and certain Jedi had something set up as a 'worse case scenario' to evacuate the Jedi.

After all, with the Jedi now out hunting Grevious with their forces, Coruscant would be ripe for a full scale attack, not just the 'attempt to kidnap the CHancellor that would have worked if Dooku hadn't decided to use it as bait for Kenobi + Skywalker'
Are you sure that was DOOKU's Plan?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-03-24 03:18pm
Broomstick wrote: 2023-03-24 02:23pm Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that, it doesn't even make sense as a form of shooting range/target practice. Maybe they were checking weapons for jams or something?

It could also be a mando version of shooting into the air for celebration some parts of our own world have.
No. They were supposedly "Training". If it was training Marksmanship they suck. If it was "cause a lot of noise and bother so DragonTurtle hunts elsewhere", that would be one way to do it.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Maybe they were fishing? People fish with spears in the real world too, not that big a jump to try it with firearms. Though nobody seemed to catch anything.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2023-03-24 08:05pm Maybe they were fishing? People fish with spears in the real world too, not that big a jump to try it with firearms. Though nobody seemed to catch anything.
Local State Park has a black vulture problem, as in 100+ vultures roosting on the roof of the lodge, and none of them afraid of humans.
So they started setting off random flashbang fireworks to try to scare the vultures away without harming them (because they're protected). Don't know if it worked yet. The vultures still roost in the dozens in every tree along the canyon rim.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Vultures roosting in trees is not a problem. Vultures roosting on the roof of a building, that's a problem. So it seems like problem solved.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-03-25 05:42am Vultures roosting in trees is not a problem. Vultures roosting on the roof of a building, that's a problem. So it seems like problem solved.
No, they want the vultures moved outside the park boundaries, if they can. The park is named "Hawk's Nest", but it's been Vulture's Roost for decades now -- the vultures chased all the hawks from the canyon.
I will admit it's impressive to be there at sunset when all the vultures are floating on the evening updrafts, and there are dozens, if not a couple hundred, so all you see are huge black birds gliding up and down. Still, they can't be roosting on the roof, and shouldn't be roosting over the overlook. That much bird-doo is messy.

ANYWAY, the point was you can chase animals away and make a human-safe zone by making an area too noisy/dangerous for them to bother. Which might be why the target shooting in the lake/ocean bay.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-03-24 07:07pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-03-24 11:08am It's also possible that the 'rebel senators' and certain Jedi had something set up as a 'worse case scenario' to evacuate the Jedi.

Are you sure that was DOOKU's Plan?
At the point they would have come up with this evacuation plan, they had no way of knowing about Sidious's involvement. From an outside observer, it could certainly appear the entire thing was to use the Chancellor as bait to kill of 'The Jedi Team' of the Clone Wars. Otherwise, hanging around Coruscant made no sense.

Really, in-universe, the Invisible Hand should have jumped the second that Grevious and Palpatine landed on the ship. Without the knowledge of Sidious = Palpatine, et al that entails, bait is the only thing that makes sense.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-25 10:09pm At the point they would have come up with this evacuation plan, they had no way of knowing about Sidious's involvement. From an outside observer, it could certainly appear the entire thing was to use the Chancellor as bait to kill of 'The Jedi Team' of the Clone Wars. Otherwise, hanging around Coruscant made no sense.

Really, in-universe, the Invisible Hand should have jumped the second that Grevious and Palpatine landed on the ship. Without the knowledge of Sidious = Palpatine, et al that entails, bait is the only thing that makes sense.
IIRC, the Separatist ships *Couldn't Leave* at that point because Coruscant belatedly threw up their Planetary Shields and trapped them.
Assuming I remember that correctly, it doesn't refute your argument about Palpatine playing Bait for Anakin (Kenobi is a bonus). Palpatine gets to see if Anakin will kill Dooku (as Dooku can't be allowed to talk), while also terrorizing Coruscant and the Senate so they accept his next political moves towards Emperor as 'necessary for survival'.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The novel 'Labyrinth of Evil' depicts the assault on Coruscant and the kidnapping, and the novelization of Revenge of the Sith adds more detail.

From the dialogue, it's very clear that the Invisible Hand COULD have fled at anytime. Hell, Grevious even said as much, and pointed out how big a risk it was to stay around Coruscant. He backed down from telling off Dooku when Dookue reminded him that they were still there, and Palpatines location was still known, because 'Sidious wishes it so'.

That doesn't sound trapped to me. Yes, there was a ship they'd have to blast it's way thought (a burning hulk at that point), but Grevious didn't appear to think it was a problem.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Who is the current rightful holder of the darksaber ?

It changes hand through combat. Din Djarin was defeated by that eye droid, which was then defeated by Bo Katan. So should it have passed to her via that droid ?

Though I expect Mandalorians to solve situations like that through a duel.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-03-29 07:18pm Who is the current rightful holder of the darksaber ?

It changes hand through combat. Din Djarin was defeated by that eye droid, which was then defeated by Bo Katan. So should it have passed to her via that droid ?

Though I expect Mandalorians to solve situations like that through a duel.
No, that didn't count. She will have to duel him to get the saber.

NOW... The Armorer has declared Bo Katan one who walks BOTH Paths, and she will bring together ALL MANDALORIANS, to retake Mandalore.

Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

And on top of that, Gideon was extracted after all; by someone who left a shard of beskar behind.

Our heroes could be in for a rough ride.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It seemed weird that they automatically seemed to jump to Mandalorians upon seeing some beskar. Considering that the Imperial government seemed to strip mine the planet, there should be plenty of black market stuff floating about.

Also, I can't get enough of seeing New Republic bureaucracy. More of that please.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

He's probably doesn't know much about beskar beyond it being the metal Mandalorians use.