Rise of Skywalkers reviews (Spoilers in this thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: Rise of Skywalkers reviews (Spoilers in this thread)

Post by Formless »

loomer wrote:It's called a taxi, uber, or friend who doesn't drink, fuckhead. It's not my fault you can't imagine how you might get from a midnight screening to your house without driving.
And do you know how many people don't do that, fucktard? The fact that options exist for getting home drunk doesn't make public intoxication any less of a public danger, so don't encourage it. We all know the fatality statistics due to drunk driving, and moreover, like I said its obnoxious to other filmgoers even if you have a plan on getting home. Some of us don't drink, whether by choice or by necessity, and dealing with drunk, stoned people ruins the theatrical experience, period. Especially if its a movie you mean to watch with kids.

Besides, any opinion about a film formed while drunk is meaningless, because its not the state of mind the filmmaker intended. Its rather hard to argue that a drunk person is as perceptive as a sober viewer.
Let me fill you in on a secret: Many moviegoers are drunk or stoned, even for very good films.
"Other people do it, therefore it is fine" is not a good argument to make, loomer. Don't make me explain it, you should know better.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Another observation: Palpatine sure does like his multiple, secret, ridiculously huge military buildups. In this case, however, the First Order was semi-public like the Separatists while the Sith Fleet was all done in secret like the Clone Army.

I'm guessing Snoke was meant to be his new Dooku.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Formless wrote: 2019-12-22 12:16am
loomer wrote:It's called a taxi, uber, or friend who doesn't drink, fuckhead. It's not my fault you can't imagine how you might get from a midnight screening to your house without driving.
And do you know how many people don't do that, fucktard? The fact that options exist for getting home drunk doesn't make public intoxication any less of a public danger, so don't encourage it.We all know the fatality statistics due to drunk driving,

I take it then you also oppose the existence of pubs, bars, wine bars, nightclubs, clubs, restaurants with a liquor license, and indeed, the serving of alcohol in any area not a private domicile?

and moreover, like I said its obnoxious to other filmgoers even if you have a plan on getting home. Some of us don't drink, whether by choice or by necessity, and dealing with drunk, stoned people ruins the theatrical experience, period. Especially if its a movie you mean to watch with kids.
Oddly enough, it is possible to drink or get high without being obnoxious. I know I was quieter than the very excited children two rows behind me (they were great, incidentally - their excitement and joy was contagious) or the man laughing loudly two seats to my right -but by all means, continue to flail around hoping to hit a target to justify your knee jerk hurt fee fees. Also, it's funny you seem to think you'd have to 'deal' with people like me: We sit quietly and watch the movie and have a great time, which is... Kinda what movies are for? We are no more or less noticeable than any other patron, and frankly, the only reason you'd be 'dealing' with us is if you decided to be the weird guy at the movies who talks to everyone else they didn't come with. Or do you think 'drunk' can only mean people falling out of their seats and throwing up everywhere?
Besides, any opinion about a film formed while drunk is meaningless, because its not the state of mind the filmmaker intended. Its rather hard to argue that a drunk person is as perceptive as a sober viewer.
And you're certain that filmmakers intend their works to be viewed only by stone cold sober people, are you? I'd like to see some proof of that, and for that matter, that the intended state of mind for viewing a Star Wars film is sober, perceptive, and critical rather than excited and out for a good time. Further, I'd like to know why my impression of 'this was an okay film, but fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey' is invalid, since it's not one that can be formed without drinking. It's kind of funny that you seem to think there's A Way to watch a film, though, and it crucially relies on perfectly unaltered perception.

Oh, and I'd also go so far as to say my opinion formed about this film has significantly more weight than yours, since unlike you, I've actually seen it.
Let me fill you in on a secret: Many moviegoers are drunk or stoned, even for very good films.
"Other people do it, therefore it is fine" is not a good argument to make, loomer. Don't make me explain it, you should know better.
It's not an argument, just a fact. People routinely go to the movies drunk and stoned. They do so safely by driving home with people who aren't, or by walking or taking public transportation. You have almost certainly had at least one stoned or drunk person share the cinema for almost any science fiction, fantasy, or comedy film you've seen in theaters, at least the ones that weren't at nearly deserted showings. For some films in particular, that likelihood skyrockets to 'definitely more than one', because as it turns out, relatively short-lived relaxants and euphorics (and even psychedelics) plus two hours or so in a dark space where no one is watching you plus a general good vibe = a great time.

But by all means, keep scrabbling to try and turn this into an argument that people should drunk drive home after disturbing other patrons so you can try and argue against a convenient strawman.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

My local movie theater serves alcohol. Although it doesn't really need to since it's a short walking distance from at least four different bars. Weed is also fully legal in my state.

Why is this even an argument?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-12-22 01:07am My local movie theater serves alcohol. Although it doesn't really need to since it's a short walking distance from at least four different bars. Weed is also fully legal in my state.

Yeah, quite a few do these days. It's a standard part of any of the 'gold class' cinemas, for instance. The only reason there's a shitfight is Formless got his knickers in a twist because he can't drink for health reasons and keeps scrambling to try and justify his response as anything but that, which - as it happens - I sympathize with far more than his more recent attempt to paint me as a proponent of drink-driving and harassing other patrons.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Having seen Rise of Skywalker, I am no longer a Star Wars fan. The movie was a shitshow.
Some of the problems were because Disney decided to embark on a multi-billion dollar years long project without any plan. The personal feud between Rian Johnson and J.J Abrams didn't help either. Even with all of that, there were the bones of a decent movie buried deep underneath the bullshit J.J Abrams pulled out of his ass.
Why did Chewie "die" and then come back? That entire sequence could have been cut and we would have lost nothing. Alternatively, Rey could have actually killed Chewie in her anger, providing actual stakes in this movie and making us think she might actually go to the dark side.
The C-3PO memory thing was another pointless aside. He should have cut it.
Rey should have killed Kylo when she stabbed him.
Stop making Harrison Ford do Star Wars movies.
The entire end sequence was just bullshit and we clearly knew what was going to happen from the beginning because J.J just pulled a Deus Ex Machina every time anything bad might happen.
Overall, J.J Abrams was too scared to offend anyone and made a movie with no emotional stakes and no reason to care about what happens to anyone in it. I was actively rooting for Palpatine by the end.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The dagger is an especially good example of the above. It couldn't just be the key to unlocking Rey's identity, it also had to be a magic macguffin of video game level design 101 grade architecture.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 12:53amI take it then you also oppose the existence of pubs, bars, wine bars, nightclubs, clubs, restaurants with a liquor license, and indeed, the serving of alcohol in any area not a private domicile?
Do you really want me to answer that question? Because arguments could be made for any one of those things... in a car dominated world.

AKA the United States. I don't know where you live, but here in flyover country its a huge fucking deal if you can't drive. The only other practical option is busses, and personally I don't trust Uber (their drivers are NOT held to the same standard as taxi drivers.... and neither are cheap). We need to either unfuck our public transit system, or we gotta do something about public drunkenness and drunk driving. Maybe you don't feel as passionately as I do about it, but if so, its probably because you aren't in as much risk as I am. All I'm saying is, definitely don't drink in a place that wasn't meant for it or encourage others to do the same. Its irresponsible. Period. If you want to watch a movie drunk, please wait for the Blueray to come out. At least at the bar people are trained to recognize when your ass is your head. The movie theater? We know only because drunk people won't shut up, and literally stink.
Oddly enough, it is possible to drink or get high without being obnoxious. I know I was quieter than the very excited children two rows behind me (they were great, incidentally - their excitement and joy was contagious) or the man laughing loudly two seats to my right -but by all means, continue to flail around hoping to hit a target to justify your knee jerk hurt fee fees. Also, it's funny you seem to think you'd have to 'deal' with people like me: We sit quietly and watch the movie and have a great time, which is... Kinda what movies are for? We are no more or less noticeable than any other patron, and frankly, the only reason you'd be 'dealing' with us is if you decided to be the weird guy at the movies who talks to everyone else they didn't come with. Or do you think 'drunk' can only mean people falling out of their seats and throwing up everywhere?
Please, continue to regale us with anecdotes about how much less of an ass you are than the average drunk. Its so very convincing, and not at all undone by everything else I know in this world. :roll:
And you're certain that filmmakers intend their works to be viewed only by stone cold sober people, are you? I'd like to see some proof of that, and for that matter, that the intended state of mind for viewing a Star Wars film is sober, perceptive, and critical rather than excited and out for a good time.
No, I will not argue that the Star Wars filmmakers, who literally advertise their films to children, intended the film to be viewed drunk. The onus is on you, dipshit, to prove that it was, or that any filmmaker intends their film to be viewed while intoxicated. Whether they want you to watch it with a critical eye is another matter entirely, and not what I was talking about.

How is literally any of this hard for you to understand?
Further, I'd like to know why my impression of 'this was an okay film, but fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey' is invalid, since it's not one that can be formed without drinking. It's kind of funny that you seem to think there's A Way to watch a film, though, and it crucially relies on perfectly unaltered perception.
Did you watch it twice? Because if the only viewing was one where you were drinking whisky, then you have no idea of what the film is like when you are sober. The problem with mixing alcohol into the equation is that it warps your perception of the experience. If it was a good film, you would absolutely miss details you would have noticed while sober. If its a bad film, you don't notice the badness as easily because-- and try to follow me here, because its really all you need to know-- YOU ARE DRUNK.
Oh, and I'd also go so far as to say my opinion formed about this film has significantly more weight than yours, since unlike you, I've actually seen it.
I didn't give an opinion on the film, asshole, so shut the fuck up. I will not tolerate any more of your straw man attacks.
It's not an argument, just a fact. People routinely go to the movies drunk and stoned. They do so safely by driving home with people who aren't, or by walking or taking public transportation. You have almost certainly had at least one stoned or drunk person share the cinema for almost any science fiction, fantasy, or comedy film you've seen in theaters, at least the ones that weren't at nearly deserted showings. For some films in particular, that likelihood skyrockets to 'definitely more than one', because as it turns out, relatively short-lived relaxants and euphorics (and even psychedelics) plus two hours or so in a dark space where no one is watching you plus a general good vibe = a great time.

But by all means, keep scrabbling to try and turn this into an argument that people should drunk drive home after disturbing other patrons so you can try and argue against a convenient strawman.
AND? If you aren't making an argument, then all you are admitting to is being part of something I think is a problem, because I can demonstate it is a problem with well known road fatality statistics. Those people are NOT all making it home safely, they are getting into their cars in no shape to drive. That some of them make it home safely, either by luck or by good planning, doesn't change that fact, and does not change that its quite often inconsiderate to other filmgoers to drink whisky while watching the film at the theater. WE CAN SMELL THAT SHIT. Our noses don't lie, and its not something people want to smell. Its distracting, and that's without bringing kids into the equation. Cannabis is even worse in that regard, because it literally smells the same as a skunk. If you want to watch movies drunk, do it at home. If you want to encourage people to watch movies drunk in the theater, you can fuck right off.
Galvatron wrote:My local movie theater serves alcohol. Although it doesn't really need to since it's a short walking distance from at least four different bars. Weed is also fully legal in my state.

Because I bet you they don't serve alcohol for just any showing. Just those rated R, correct? Or have you never looked it up? Alcohol and kids-- especially teenagers-- is an obviously bad combination. Plus, some people just prefer to go to a showing where it isn't served, because they don't want to deal with that kind of patron. If you are going to a showing where it is being served, you know what you are paying for. On the other hand, if someone smuggles vodka or a bong into a regular showing, that is what I find grating. That kind of patron may not realize how much of a jackass the rest of us see them as, precisely because they are drunk.

Hell, theaters that serve booze do so precisely to solve a problem of expectations, not create one. And also to cash in on a market, obviously.
Yeah, quite a few do these days. It's a standard part of any of the 'gold class' cinemas, for instance. The only reason there's a shitfight is Formless got his knickers in a twist because he can't drink for health reasons and keeps scrambling to try and justify his response as anything but that, which - as it happens - I sympathize with far more than his more recent attempt to paint me as a proponent of drink-driving and harassing other patrons.
As it happens, I can drink alcohol. It just puts me to sleep because of a drug interaction, so I can't actually get drunk before (probably) passing out. Not that I even try, I don't get what people find so attractive about it. I have in fact been drunk before I went on those meds, and its just kinda... meh? I guess it sort of made me better at Texas Hold-em, but I'm also told that at the time someone was sneaking their chips into my pile. I can't confirm or deny that, because everything got blurry, which is why I just find it weird that anyone actually enjoys being drunk.

(I do legitimately enjoy certain drinks, but not the effects of them)

BUT as I am chronically unable to drive, I end up having to walk everywhere, which places me in greater danger than most because of drunk drivers. Even if I was no more likely to get hit, I am more likely to instantly die in an accident. So yeah, the terrible manner in which other people drive is rather a big deal to me, and any time someone advocates practices and attitudes that would lead to more drunkenness on the road-- even if that isn't their intention-- rather pisses me off for reasons I think are quite justified, given the statistics. You may not think that what you advocate leads to more drunk drivers, but again, the statistics show that even when people know about their options, they are still more likely than not to drive drunk, because they made their decision at the time they were drunk.

About the only reason I can see that you find my opinion offensive is that its become such a habit for you that its hard to think of any other mentality as normal.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Formless wrote: 2019-12-22 01:45am
loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 12:53amI take it then you also oppose the existence of pubs, bars, wine bars, nightclubs, clubs, restaurants with a liquor license, and indeed, the serving of alcohol in any area not a private domicile?
Do you really want me to answer that question? Because arguments could be made for any one of those things... in a car dominated world.
Since the basis for your 'don't say to drink at the movies' argument is in no small part down to 'people might drunk drive'? Yes. Yes I do. All those situations create the same risks, so please, do explain why you don't hold the idea of a pub to the same standard, unless you do.
All I'm saying is, definitely don't drink in a place that wasn't meant for it or encourage others to do the same. Its irresponsible. Period. If you want to watch a movie drunk, please wait for the Blueray to come out. At least at the bar people are trained to recognize when your ass is your head. The movie theater? We know only because drunk people won't shut up, and literally stink.
Drunk people can in fact be quite quiet, which I know you're having trouble processing due to your own selection bias ('drunk people won't shut up' certainly seems to suggest that the primary criteria you're using to judge are talkability and boisterousness, which are only two of the possible experiences of intoxication, and as it happens, are two of the most obvious. I suspect your thinking goes a little like this: 'Drunk people won't shut up; this person is not talking a lot; this person is not drunk' and thus eliminating any quiet drunks you have ever observed.) Further, you seem to be confusing 'it's a fun movie to watch drunk, take a bottle with you' for a demand or endorsement that people drink to dangerous excess rather than knowing their own limits. Smell, of course, can be an issue so you're quite right there, which is why you pick seats that aren't jammed next to someone who isn't part of your group as part of the general principle of having consideration for others.

It's almost as though your argument hinges around deliberately misconstruing a general 'it's a fun movie to watch drunk' for 'drink without any regard to personal responsibility, safety, or the experience of others'. But I'm sure you wouldn't be deliberately building that strawman, would you?
Please, continue to regale us with anecdotes about how much less of an ass you are than the average drunk. Its so very convincing, and not at all undone by everything else I know in this world. :roll:
Oddly enough, I didn't mention 'the average drunk'. I mentioned theater goers who weren't drinking at all, who were excited and loud and, by a reasonable definition, obnoxious. The average drunk may surprise you, as many people are capable of having four or five drinks and sitting quietly at a film, stage performance, or opera. This of course has no bearing on whether you'd find them an ass talking to them, and you'll note that I make no comment as to that, only that people can in fact be drunk without being obnoxious (well known) and that I personally have no issue sitting quietly in a cinema even after a few drinks.

Of course, you should - having yourself been so keen to dismiss this as anecdotal - also know that 'everything else you know in this world' is also nothing more than anecdotes, and entirely unconvincing ones at that. Perhaps you have had the misfortune to only experience loud, obnoxious drunks. Or, more likely, perhaps you simply haven't noticed the people sitting up the back or occupying a booth or having a barbecue at the park while stoned or drunk who aren't making a scene.
And you're certain that filmmakers intend their works to be viewed only by stone cold sober people, are you? I'd like to see some proof of that, and for that matter, that the intended state of mind for viewing a Star Wars film is sober, perceptive, and critical rather than excited and out for a good time.
No, I will not argue that the Star Wars filmmakers, who literally advertise their films to children, intended the film to be viewed drunk. The onus is on you, dipshit, to prove that it was, or that any filmmaker intends their film to be viewed while intoxicated. Whether they want you to watch it with a critical eye is another matter entirely, and not what I was talking about.

How is literally any of this hard for you to understand?
I'm not going to argue that they intend it to be viewed drunk, nor did I suggest you should - I said I'd like to see some proof that filmmakers intend their work to be viewed only by the sober. I understand you have difficulty with reading comprehension, but that's okay, we all have our crosses to bear. I make and have made no argument Abrams has said 'oh yeah, this film should only be watched while drunk'. You, however, are arguing that he intends it to be seen sober and sober only - something that you bear the onus of proof on, as you are the one making a specific, contestable statement of fact.

Of course, in regards to 'any filmmaker [intending] their film to be viewed while intoxicated', that's easy. Stoner comedies are meant to be enjoyed by, well, stoners. I'll leave you to fill in the blanks on what kind of mental state much of their humour is meant to be appreciated in.
Further, I'd like to know why my impression of 'this was an okay film, but fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey' is invalid, since it's not one that can be formed without drinking. It's kind of funny that you seem to think there's A Way to watch a film, though, and it crucially relies on perfectly unaltered perception.
Did you watch it twice? Because if the only viewing was one where you were drinking whisky, then you have no idea of what the film is like when you are sober. The problem with mixing alcohol into the equation is that it warps your perception of the experience. If it was a good film, you would absolutely miss details you would have noticed while sober. If its a bad film, you don't notice the badness as easily because-- and try to follow me here, because its really all you need to know-- YOU ARE DRUNK.
I don't need to watch it twice to venture the opinion that 'it's an okay film, but fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey' because I watched it with a bottle of whiskey and, shocker, that was my experience. You'll notice that I have largely confined my commentary on it to that, and not 'well, it was a shit film to watch sober but great to watch drunk' or even 'the only way to watch it is drunk'. But again, it's pretty funny that you seem to think the only correct way to watch a film is stone sober or your opinion doesn't matter.
I didn't give an opinion on the film, asshole, so shut the fuck up. I will not tolerate any more of your straw man attacks.
Oh dear, did you mistake your reflection for mine? You're the one constructing an extremely elaborate strawman. I suppose you confused this part - which was actually a way of saying 'shut the fuck up' - for a strawman because you're incapable of forming any other argument and assume others must be too. You see, your argument here basically boils down to 'your opinion on this film doesn't matter' - that bit where you said 'any opinion formed about a film while formed drunk is meaningless'. - and my response is 'well, it may be meaningless, but it still has more weight than any of yours when it comes to this film'. You know, because I've seen the film, while you seem to be content passing the time getting your ass handed to you for dumb opinions instead.

AND? If you aren't making an argument, then all you are admitting to is being part of something I think is a problem, because I can demonstate it is a problem with well known road fatality statistics. Those people are NOT all making it home safely, they are getting into their cars in no shape to drive. That some of them make it home safely, either by luck or by good planning, doesn't change that fact, and does not change that its quite often inconsiderate to other filmgoers to drink whisky while watching the film at the theater. WE CAN SMELL THAT SHIT. Our noses don't lie, and its not something people want to smell. Its distracting, and that's without bringing kids into the equation. Cannabis is even worse in that regard, because it literally smells the same as a skunk. If you want to watch movies drunk, do it at home. If you want to encourage people to watch movies drunk in the theater, you can fuck right off.
Okay. Demonstrate the number of fatalities that take place from people driving home from the cinema drunk. I'll wait for you. Also, again: You have watched films with stoned people without knowing it. You have watched films with drunk people without knowing it. Your nose may not lie, but it sure drops off in ability to detect odours over popcorn and general Cinema Funk after a few seats.

By the way, I'm not part of something you think is a problem when it comes to road fatality statistics. I took public transit back and walked there. At no point was I responsible for operating a motor vehicle or in a position to distract a person operating one. Any road fatality statistics involved would have more likely involved me as a sober pedestrian, which would be an entirely different issue.
Galvatron wrote:My local movie theater serves alcohol. Although it doesn't really need to since it's a short walking distance from at least four different bars. Weed is also fully legal in my state.

Because I bet you they don't serve alcohol for just any showing. Just those rated R, correct? Or have you never looked it up? Alcohol and kids-- especially teenagers-- is an obviously bad combination. Plus, some people just prefer to go to a showing where it isn't served, because they don't want to deal with that kind of patron. If you are going to a showing where it is being served, you know what you are paying for. On the other hand, if someone smuggles vodka or a bong into a regular showing, that is what I find grating. That kind of patron may not realize how much of a jackass the rest of us see them as, precisely because they are drunk.

Hell, theaters that serve booze do so precisely to solve a problem of expectations, not create one. And also to cash in on a market, obviously.
You're truly divorced from reality if you think people will smuggle a bong in rather than smoking it before they go or just having a spliff outside, dude. Like, really. That is the most absurd thing you could throw out, and it shows exactly why no one is going to take you seriously as you clutch at your pearls.

Now, let's look at the other part. They will absolutely serve alcohol at showings of non-R rated films in gold class theaters (in fact, right now I can book a gold class ticket for a midday showing of ROS and pre-order a beer as part of it. They just won't serve it to kids or teenagers. You seem to be operating, again, under the confused idea that 'drinking at the cinema is fun' necessarily equates to 'everyone gets to drink, including teenagers'. Or are you more concerned that the mere reminder liquor exists will drive teenagers into a drunken frenzy?
As it happens, I can drink alcohol. It just puts me to sleep because of a drug interaction, so I can't actually get drunk before (probably) passing out. Not that I even try, I don't get what people find so attractive about it. I have in fact been drunk before I went on those meds, and its just kinda... meh? I guess it sort of made me better at Texas Hold-em, but I'm also told that at the time someone was sneaking their chips into my pile. I can't confirm or deny that, because everything got blurry, which is why I just find it weird that anyone actually enjoys being drunk.

(I do legitimately enjoy certain drinks, but not the effects of them)
Congratulations. You don't enjoy drinking. I do, from time to time. I'm sure you enjoy things I don't, too.
BUT as I am chronically unable to drive, I end up having to walk everywhere, which places me in greater danger than most because of drunk drivers. Even if I was no more likely to get hit, I am more likely to instantly die in an accident. So yeah, the terrible manner in which other people drive is rather a big deal to me, and any time someone advocates practices and attitudes that would lead to more drunkenness on the road-- even if that isn't their intention-- rather pisses me off for reasons I think are quite justified, given the statistics. You may not think that what you advocate leads to more drunk drivers, but again, the statistics show that even when people know about their options, they are still more likely than not to drive drunk, because they made their decision at the time they were drunk.
Congratulations, I also don't drive for health reasons. Did you think you were the only person who has to walk places because they're a cripple, fuckhead? Did you think invoking this was going to do anything but make me go 'yeah, and?' And again - I'll be waiting on those statistics of people driving home drunk from cinemas. I'm sure you'll have no problem filtering that out from the rest and that it will be a statistically significant source of road accidents and fatalities.
About the only reason I can see that you find my opinion offensive is that its become such a habit for you that its hard to think of any other mentality as normal.
No, I can think of it as plenty normal not to take a bottle. Indeed, I often don't - just for films where I can pretty much guarantee it's going to be more fun than not, at showings where there'll be plenty of space to avoid sitting near people who aren't part of my group, and with company to share with. I don't find your opinion offensive at all, as it happens, other than your rather bizarre attempt to paint me as a drunk driving apologist. Perhaps you mistook my firing back on you for coming in hot as being offended - if so, that was a mistake on your end.

Perhaps you'd like to know my drinking habits, having declared that I have such a habit that the very idea of seeing a film without drinking is offensive to me: I drink socially, usually one or two beers or glasses of wine a month (yes, that's right - a month), have a nip of my favourite rum on my birthday and Christmas, from time to time put a little spiced rum or creme de cacao on my ice cream (perhaps a third of a nip once a month?) and from time to time indulge in a bottle of whiskey with friends at a film (maybe, on average, once a year - this year is a bumper crop with the new Jumanji and ROS in the one month! Last year was Halloween, the one before that was Jumanji - yes, I can name the films by year. 2016, incidentally, was a dead year for that, as I only saw two films and didn't bother at either. I'm sure you'll object this isn't 'regularly', but I see perhaps four films in cinemas a year and for me, it meets the criterion of being both repeated and at a predictable pace) and a bottle of whiskey at a shindig which I also share with friends (maybe, on average, three to four times a year), and have four or five drinks over the course of an annual professional dinner I attend that lasts about eight hours, with perhaps another six drinks yearly for various religious events I participate in. I'm sure you'll be positively hopping up and down with grief and rage at what a dangerous habit this is and how it is the very downfall of western society, how it encourages people to drink to excess and drive home drunk from cinemas, conferences, and churches.

However, not being offended does not mean I'm going to sit quietly while you try and paint me as the source of all evil in the world because I, unlike you, am able to enjoy whiskey and bad to mediocre films together. Have you forgotten that you decided to come in hot?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Just saw it with my sister.

It wasn't as bad as I had feared, although the first half felt rushed. I think the second half redeemed it. So random thoughts.

1. Palpatine is back. That's not the problem. Its that he advertises he is back. Which just paints a target on his back. Why? If he wanted Kylo he could communicate with him since he kind of stated that every voice Kylo heard is due to him. In fact, if his puppet Snoke could link Kylo and Rey, why couldn't he link to her and lead her to Exogor?

2. Since I disliked TLJ, I loved how they retcon some of those elements. :lol:

a. The Holdo manoeuvre being retconned as a 1 in a million chance or something ridiculously low probability. It makes Holdo seem like a better character, even if I disliked her leadership style, she at least has some skill to pull that stunt of.

b. So Rey and Kylo can teleport stuff via the forcelink. Well that explains Rey's force editing powers in the throne room fight scene in TLJ. You know that scene where the imperial guard's weapon just disappears so he couldn't stab Rey in the back. Its the same power that allows teleportation. Come on, work with me guys. :D

c. Snoke being killed to subvert expectations. Generally we want a "big bad," to have some back story. Well we got a backstory, he is a clone created by Palpatine. Also we don't really need to care about his backstory beyond that, because he is just a tool and the secret antagonist was Palpatine. This leads to the next point

d. How the hell did Palpatine survive. Did he create a clone body.

e. Rey's parents being nobodies. So they really were of importance but decided to hide themselves from Palpatine, so they really were nobodies. Or you could look at it as Kylo just bullshitting.

Now the fact that parents were revealed to be not special in TLJ wasn't the problem for me per se. It was that the film was setting it up, only to subvert expectations. Well maybe, you shouldn't set it up then. But now that they did, it kind of requires some big reveal to sate the audience's expectations. At least ROS helped offset this.

3. Rey beats Palpatine. I know some haters are going to whine, but I felt this was nicely done. It wasn't just Rey, it was the Jedi from the past helping her. Also while in ROTJ, Palpatine was defeated not because Luke had superior force powers, but because Vader turned on him. While that was appropriate, I would have loved some story where Palpatine was beaten by a foe with superior Force powers. In this case he was, so I am going to give that a plus.

4. Plot contrivances.

a. Rey and gang just happens to fall in some quicksand area which lands near the ship of the Sith sympathiser they are looking for. Oookay.

b. The large fleet. Like how they hell did the Sith with much less resources build up such a fleet? Its like Al Queda building an entire carrier fleet stuck in Afghanistan.

c. Convenient weakness of the Sith fleet. Well its kind of expected when you write them with so much more power than the opposition.

d. C3PO is forbidden to translate a language he can apparently read. Why would you even do this in the programming, as opposed to programming him not to read the language in the first place? That is just false drama, so the script can have C3PO sacrifice himself to allow the heroes to find Exogor by wiping out his memory. A sacrifice which was largely undone due to R2D2, so what was the point.

5. Fanservice

I am going to go against the grain of haters, and say the fan service was largely done well. See Avengers Endgame, or the end of David Tennants reign as the Doctor to see what I mean.

6. Palpatine is now the dark Avatar, while Rey is Korra the Avatar. :lol:

Presumably Palpatine acquired this ability after ROTJ, since you know, if he had all those Sith skills and powers and still gets beaten by Mace Windu, who is only one Jedi, then how crap are the previous Sith (and yes I am aware from EU sources the Sith in the past were quite powerful, but I just assume Disney declared them non canon).

Now I am going to go watch the spoiler reviews for my entertainment.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Between Chewie and C-3PO there were entirely too many meaningless character 'deaths'. The little memory guy got a good reaction from the kids a couple of rows back, though, which was nice (though his second appearance was gratuitous), and when they killed off Chewie they basically screamed 'no!' so that one had the desired impact until it turned out to be bullshit.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

C3PO, Chewbacca, Rey, Kylo Ren(Twice) all had fake deaths + they make Palpatines death in ROTJ fake as well, That's quite a lot for one movie. :D
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It's pretty much comic book rules. No one is actually dead until you see a corpse, and not even then!

Except Han. Han's dead. For now.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Pretty sure Qui Gon Jinn will be back in the future as well, Obi-wan could just have force healed his lightsaber wound away of screen, Force heal can do that now.

In fact Obi-Wan is kind of a shit for not doing that.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 02:42am
Since the basis for your 'don't say to drink at the movies' argument is in no small part down to 'people might drunk drive'? Yes. Yes I do. All those situations create the same risks, so please, do explain why you don't hold the idea of a pub to the same standard, unless you do.
Oh, you misunderstand me, loomer.

I was implying I do hold them to a similar standard.

ALL of these institutions contribute to the drunk driving problem in this country. All of them. And because we have a fucked up relationship with alcohol in this country that goes back even to the 19'th century and earlier, and our cities and suburbs are barely walkable (and often flat out dangerous to pedestrians, or just anyone without a car), its hard for anyone to really consider not driving a valid option for getting around town even when drunk off your ass. Or especially when drunk. The only difference is that the staff of a bar are (theoretically) trained to know when you are shitfaced, but that doesn't help much. You gotta get home somehow, and home is often miles away from where you are right now. Better trust that your designated driver didn't get shitfaced when you weren't looking!

Europe doesn't have this problem only to the extent that many of the major cities predate cars, so of course they are walkable. Its practically the whole reason tourists go there. Similar story goes for some countries like Japan. America (and Canada!) is just shit unless you are on the East Coast.
Drunk people can in fact be quite quiet, which I know you're having trouble processing due to your own selection bias ('drunk people won't shut up' certainly seems to suggest that the primary criteria you're using to judge are talkability and boisterousness, which are only two of the possible experiences of intoxication, and as it happens, are two of the most obvious. I suspect your thinking goes a little like this: 'Drunk people won't shut up; this person is not talking a lot; this person is not drunk' and thus eliminating any quiet drunks you have ever observed.) Further, you seem to be confusing 'it's a fun movie to watch drunk, take a bottle with you' for a demand or endorsement that people drink to dangerous excess rather than knowing their own limits. Smell, of course, can be an issue so you're quite right there, which is why you pick seats that aren't jammed next to someone who isn't part of your group as part of the general principle of having consideration for others.

It's almost as though your argument hinges around deliberately misconstruing a general 'it's a fun movie to watch drunk' for 'drink without any regard to personal responsibility, safety, or the experience of others'. But I'm sure you wouldn't be deliberately building that strawman, would you?
No, my argument is based on "your behavior is hardly universal, and drunks often don't realize just how loud or obnoxious they actually are." Because the problem with drunk people is that their judgement is impaired, including their ability to judge how fucking shitfaced they are, and to judge how they look and sound to other human beings. You need feedback from people who were sober at the time, like a trusted (but honest) friend. You think its okay because you think people don't notice you drinking in the theater, but you can't realistically say how many people actually noticed (some people are particularly sensitive to the smell of hard liquor). A lot of people don't want to make a fuss so they can't be blamed for being obnoxious themselves. And I don't care if there are other kinds of asshole behavior that also happens at a movie theater, one asshole doesn't make another asshole less of an asshole by their presence or absence. Just be respectful of the other patrons, and don't plan on doing something stupid. Whatever your normal IQ is, if you down whisky you become an idiot. That's almost literally how alcohol works.
I'm not going to argue that they intend it to be viewed drunk, nor did I suggest you should - I said I'd like to see some proof that filmmakers intend their work to be viewed only by the sober. I understand you have difficulty with reading comprehension, but that's okay, we all have our crosses to bear. I make and have made no argument Abrams has said 'oh yeah, this film should only be watched while drunk'. You, however, are arguing that he intends it to be seen sober and sober only - something that you bear the onus of proof on, as you are the one making a specific, contestable statement of fact.
Then you are once again making a strawman argument, and a silly one. I only said that any opinion about the film made while watching it drunk is meaningless, and the state of mind the filmmaker intended you to view it in is sober because of course it is, that is the default state of being! They aren't going to bank on a film specifically for binge drinkers, it would be a stupid risk. Its meaningless because most people just aren't going to watch the film that way, and also because everyone reacts to alcohol differently-- yes, everyone, I am an extreme example, but the "loud VS quiet" dichotomy shows that its not just me. Some people will find it unpleasant while drunk, not because of the movie's qualities, but because of how alcohol effects them. They may find other movies good to watch while drunk, but not this one. Hence, the opinion is meaningless or at least useless to everyone but you.
Of course, in regards to 'any filmmaker [intending] their film to be viewed while intoxicated', that's easy. Stoner comedies are meant to be enjoyed by, well, stoners. I'll leave you to fill in the blanks on what kind of mental state much of their humour is meant to be appreciated in.
I will grant stoner comedies as a special case where that is how the director hoped the audience would watch it. I don't get it, but at least with pot you can rely on stoner culture to get you half way towards a meaningful difference in the quality of the experience, and the rest is because psychedelics have more reliable effects on perception than booze. I know my dad finds things in That 70's Show to be hilarious that go over my head-- and he doesn't even need to be high, he just knows what its like and I don't.
I don't need to watch it twice to venture the opinion that 'it's an okay film, but fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey' because I watched it with a bottle of whiskey and, shocker, that was my experience. You'll notice that I have largely confined my commentary on it to that, and not 'well, it was a shit film to watch sober but great to watch drunk' or even 'the only way to watch it is drunk'. But again, it's pretty funny that you seem to think the only correct way to watch a film is stone sober or your opinion doesn't matter.
Yeah, I'm going to say NO to that qualification of yours. Right from the moment TRR asked for opinions, you were saying to watch it drunk, as if you knew it would be bad when sober. Then reiterated that opinion in the post I first quoted. But as you have only watched it once, that opinion is rather useless to the rest of us, which is why I found it frustrating. I'm here for a similar reason to TRR, and I knew it hasn't been out long enough for you to have likely seen it twice yet. Yet you still think its best to watch it drunk... it comes off like you are biased against watching the film any other way, because from the moment you stuffed a bottle of whisky into your coat, that was the only way you ever intended to watch it.

So, you will excuse me if I give Vympel or Tev or Ray245's opinions more weight, because even if they are diverse in their conclusions, they didn't go in intending to dull the experience with booze.
Okay. Demonstrate the number of fatalities that take place from people driving home from the cinema drunk.
Are you being serious? No one keeps track of the data based on where the drunk drivers are driving to or from, because there is no reason to treat drunks driving home from the theater as a special category. They behave the same way on the road as any other drunk driver, and until you give evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to think they plan their nights differently from people coming home from the bar or from a night club. They are all dangerous drivers, and they are all equally likely to make the same dangerous choices. So for anyone who isn't a dipshit, general road fatality statistics will work just fine.

That, by the way, works out to one drunk driving fatality every 48 minutes in the United States according to the NHTSA.
By the way, I'm not part of something you think is a problem when it comes to road fatality statistics. I took public transit back and walked there. At no point was I responsible for operating a motor vehicle or in a position to distract a person operating one. Any road fatality statistics involved would have more likely involved me as a sober pedestrian, which would be an entirely different issue.
You are, however, clearly part of the cultural problem, which in turn feeds into the drunk driving problem. The fact you asked for specific road statistics for theater patrons VS all other drunks shows your bias towards seeing this behavior as harmless, whereas the actual statistics don't lie, it absolutely has a harm we can quantify. This is a large scale issue, obviously, but for every individual who knows how to get home without a car, there are probably twenty who drink and drive anyway, and they don't understand the difference between you and them. Because its actually a very small (if important) difference.
You're truly divorced from reality if you think people will smuggle a bong in rather than smoking it before they go or just having a spliff outside, dude. Like, really. That is the most absurd thing you could throw out, and it shows exactly why no one is going to take you seriously as you clutch at your pearls.
You know what, I don't give a flying fuck. You want to nitpick reasons to insult me, but the reality is this. I work retail in Colorado, and trust me, while I have never seen someone light up in the store (we would kick them out and they know it), I absolutely smell it on people all the time. And I'm not hypersensitive or anything, all of my coworkers smell it too, and we all find it unpleasant because it smells like a dead skunk. And not from close up, several feet away. It doesn't matter whether you are smoking it inside or outside, it lingers on you just as badly as tobacco (which also smells like hell's anus, by the way). Especially if its fresh. The problem is that after a while, you go nose-blind to any smell that lingers on you for too long. Its famously why people don't notice their own BO. So don't act smug, either way you smell like you encountered a skunk, and its rude to the other patrons (not to mention, technically illegal to do it in public even now).
Now, let's look at the other part. They will absolutely serve alcohol at showings of non-R rated films in gold class theaters (in fact, right now I can book a gold class ticket for a midday showing of ROS and pre-order a beer as part of it. They just won't serve it to kids or teenagers. You seem to be operating, again, under the confused idea that 'drinking at the cinema is fun' necessarily equates to 'everyone gets to drink, including teenagers'. Or are you more concerned that the mere reminder liquor exists will drive teenagers into a drunken frenzy?
No, I was going by memory. I don't know what the rules are at the theaters in your location. But where I live, they won't let you bring in ANY outside food or beverage, and most of the theaters don't serve alcohol to my knowledge. So the ONLY way to drink in them is to smuggle it in. I know of only one possibly exception to the rules about booze, but that was an... interesting theater, in that it was also a restaurant setup. They served you dinner as you watched the movie (you got a table and everything), so obviously no bringing your own food or drink. I can't remember if alcohol was on the menu, but it might have been. Then again, the only movie I ever watched there was District 9.
Congratulations, I also don't drive for health reasons. Did you think you were the only person who has to walk places because they're a cripple, fuckhead?
You do realize that "cripple" is a slur, right? :roll:

I'm not looking for pity, I'm looking to give people like Galvatron context. Our argument isn't just being read by the two of us. I don't know you, and I do not know your health problems like the back of my hand. But I also don't expect many people know me that well, either. But I do find it hilarious that in one post you both champion yourself for not being part of the drunk driving problem, only to later admit you don't drive at all. :lol:
No, I can think of it as plenty normal not to take a bottle. Indeed, I often don't - just for films where I can pretty much guarantee it's going to be more fun than not, at showings where there'll be plenty of space to avoid sitting near people who aren't part of my group, and with company to share with. I don't find your opinion offensive at all, as it happens, other than your rather bizarre attempt to paint me as a drunk driving apologist. Perhaps you mistook my firing back on you for coming in hot as being offended - if so, that was a mistake on your end.
You came in hot. I fired back. I never did call you an apologist for drunk driving, but you do come off as an apologist for public drunkeness, which feeds into the same. The trick is to realize they are related, and that one is harmful because of the other. You seem in denial about this. This, more than your habits, more than your personal behaviors, more than your debating tactics, more than your belief that drinking whisky in the theater isn't rude, is what gets me fired up.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Formless wrote: 2019-12-22 05:15am
loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 02:42am
Oh, you misunderstand me, loomer.

I was implying I do hold them to a similar standard.

ALL of these institutions contribute to the drunk driving problem in this country. All of them. And because we have a fucked up relationship with alcohol in this country that goes back even to the 19'th century and earlier, and our cities and suburbs are barely walkable (and often flat out dangerous to pedestrians, or just anyone without a car), its hard for anyone to really consider not driving a valid option for getting around town even when drunk off your ass. Or especially when drunk. The only difference is that the staff of a bar are (theoretically) trained to know when you are shitfaced, but that doesn't help much. You gotta get home somehow, and home is often miles away from where you are right now. Better trust that your designated driver didn't get shitfaced when you weren't looking!

Europe doesn't have this problem only to the extent that many of the major cities predate cars, so of course they are walkable. Its practically the whole reason tourists go there. Similar story goes for some countries like Japan. America (and Canada!) is just shit unless you are on the East Coast.
Good. At least you're internally consistent.

No, my argument is based on "your behavior is hardly universal, and drunks often don't realize just how loud or obnoxious they actually are." Because the problem with drunk people is that their judgement is impaired, including their ability to judge how fucking shitfaced they are, and to judge how they look and sound to other human beings. You need feedback from people who were sober at the time, like a trusted (but honest) friend. You think its okay because you think people don't notice you drinking in the theater, but you can't realistically say how many people actually noticed some people are particularly sensitive to the smell of hard liquor). A lot of people don't want to make a fuss so they can't be blamed for being obnoxious themselves. And I don't care if there are other kinds of asshole behavior that also happens at a movie theater, one asshole doesn't make another asshole less of an asshole by their presence or absence. Just be respectful of the other patrons, and don't plan on doing something stupid. Whatever your normal IQ is, if you down whisky you become an idiot. That's almost literally how alcohol works.
People who are drunk are drunk, yes. But congratulations: That doesn't mean that every drunk person acts the same way. If they did, life would be a lot more predictable. Also, I think you're confused at the level of drunk we're talking about here, because you keep talking about being shitfaced, about being idiots, and so on. That isn't the level I'm suggesting, but it is very telling that you take 'take a bottle' to mean 'drink to excess to the point you're utterly out of control' at every turn.

I also, as it happens, don't really consider those kids or the guy laughing to be assholes. It's part and parcel of the cinema experience. The reason I raise them is to point out that you can have drunk people who are less disruptive than ordinary sober conduct in a cinema. Now, as it happens, I did have a trusted, honest, sober friend with me who I'd trust to pull me into line if I was being disruptive. They felt no need to, nor did anyone else take the slightest visible notice.

We agree that you should be respectful of other patrons. Where we disagree is your ludicrous notion that a few drinks is inherently going to make someone disrespectful - or at least, more disrespectful than the ordinary annoyances of people laughing loudly or excited children.
Then you are once again making a strawman argument, and a silly one.
Am I? Because from what I can see, there's no strawman involved at all. You advanced that the state of mind intended was sober - as you acknowledge - and I challenge that this is the only possible state of mind the filmmakers could have intended an audience to possess. How, precisely, is there a strawman when you yourself acknowledge the factual accuracy that you stated that the state of mind intended is sobriety? You do know what a strawman is, right?
I only said that any opinion about the film made while watching it drunk is meaningless, and the state of mind the filmmaker intended you to view it in is sober because of course it is, that is the default state of being!
It's nice of you to agree that you have asserted that the only state of mind the filmmaker could intend was sober. This, of course, excludes the possibility that they were ambivalent as to sobriety, which I consider more likely to say the least. It seems rather unlikely that Abrams sat down and went 'You know what, I don't think drunk people will watch this film'.
They aren't going to bank on a film specifically for binge drinkers, it would be a stupid risk.
Certainly, and no one has said they should.
Its meaningless because most people just aren't going to watch the film that way, and also because everyone reacts to alcohol differently-- yes, everyone, I am an extreme example, but the "loud VS quiet" dichotomy shows that its not just me. Some people will find it unpleasant while drunk, not because of the movie's qualities, but because of how alcohol effects them. They may find other movies good to watch while drunk, but not this one. Hence, the opinion is meaningless or at least useless to everyone but you.
This is two points that you've managed to somehow conflate together. First, that a perspective from someone who drinks is meaningless because 'most people just aren't going to watch the film that way', and second, that this in some way ties in to the 'intended state of mind'. I will not bother with the latter further as you have failed to meaningfully demonstrate that your position - that the filmmakers intend audiences to be sober - has merit. As for the former? It may surprise you, but most people retain their ability to form meaningful judgment and opinion after several drinks. That opinion may be coloured by the euphoria and relaxation of alcohol (two effects that are near universal) but this does not render them meaningless. It especially does not render the opinion and judgment 'it's an okay film, but fun to watch drunk' meaningless.

It is in fact a necessary prerequisite of this latter opinion - a position that can be meaningfully taken given that alcohol affects most people in a predictable, similar way - that the speaker have done so for it to not be supposition. Now, you might argue that this renders it useless for 'most people', but it nonetheless remains a valid response to 'I don't know if I'll like it'. Consider it thus: 'I don't know if I'll like it.' 'It was fun to watch drunk, that might help you enjoy it too?' The latter, of course, contains an unspoken assumption, and may thus be restated: 'It was fun to watch drunk (I experience intoxication in a typical way; e.g., after a few drinks I relax and feel good) - maybe that'll help you enjoy it (if you also experience intoxication in a typical way: that is, after a few drinks, you relax and feel good)?'

Do you see how this perspective and judgment is not in fact meaningless, but a valid response to concerns about the film being terrible? Further, you may have noticed that I've been making comments on other elements in the film as they take my notice. I formed these judgments will moderately intoxicated, but I'm reasonably sure they'd hold up if I was sober. Why? Simple - contrary to your belief, drinking does not turn someone into a totally different, idiotic being. This takes place only at the further reaches of excess, and the amount I typically drink at a film (around six drinks over two hours, frontloaded and then maintained over the runtime, maybe with a pint at the pub down the street beforehand) at my tolerance leaves me with most of my judgement intact for the purpose of film enjoyment (if not for certain other behaviours). Thus I can still say 'the little memory guy was a nice touch but his second appearance was gratuitous' with a fairly good basis for believing I would feel the same if I had been sober. Likewise, I can say 'I enjoyed the cavalry charge for its sheer audaciousness, but I did wonder why they didn't just blow up the tower from a fighter instead' - which is accurate - with the same reasonable basis to believe I would feel the same if I had been sober.
I will grant stoner comedies as a special case where that is how the director hoped the audience would watch it. I don't get it, but at least with pot you can rely on stoner culture to get you half way towards a meaningful difference in the quality of the experience, and the rest is because psychedelics have more reliable effects on perception than booze. I know my dad finds things in That 70's Show to be hilarious that go over my head-- and he doesn't even need to be high, he just knows what its like and I don't.
Alcohol's effects are actually pretty reliable. It's just the outward manifestation of these effects is more unpredictable, but its role as a relaxant, depressant, and euphoric is pretty much solidly predictable. If it wasn't, we probably wouldn't be nearly as fond of it as a society.
Yeah, I'm going to say NO to that qualification of yours. Right from the moment TRR asked for opinions, you were saying to watch it drunk, as if you knew it would be bad when sober. Then reiterated that opinion in the post I first quoted. But as you have only watched it once, that opinion is rather useless to the rest of us, which is why I found it frustrating. I'm here for a similar reason to TRR, and I knew it hasn't been out long enough for you to have likely seen it twice yet. Yet you still think its best to watch it drunk... it comes off like you are biased against watching the film any other way, because from the moment you stuffed a bottle of whisky into your coat, that was the only way you ever intended to watch it.
I have explained above why a 'watch it while drinking' is not, as you seem to think, a useless opinion, but rather one built on both experience and a reasonable supposition as to the film's quality. But let's examine the 'you knew it would be bad when sober'. I expected it to be a bad film, because it's a JJ Abrams Star Wars and I have low expectations as to the quality of his films. I enjoy them for the visuals and the atmosphere, not the scintillatingly complex and deep plots, and I act appropriately. This is what we can call a 'bad film' - but one still worth watching, because it has that to commend it. I'm reasonably sure if I bought a second ticket and went to see it sober, I'd come away with the same opinion: 'This was more fun to watch with a bottle of whiskey, but it's okay, I guess?' My suggestion to TRR was thus based on a perspective I arrived at both from a rational beginning point ('Am I likely to enjoy this film more sober or with a drink? Why?') and from a confirmed experience that, well, it was a fairly dumb film, but a fun one, which are great to drink during.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it could be hailed as a scintillating exercise in intellectual stimulation of the highest order in a few weeks once the fanboying and hating dies down. I rather doubt it, however, and I have enough trust in my ability to watch cinema to have a corresponding trust in my judgement of the film.
So, you will excuse me if I give Vympel or Tev or Ray245's opinions more weight, because even if they are diverse in their conclusions, they didn't go in intending to dull the experience with booze.
And you are free to do so. You'll notice that I have at no point insisted my view is the only one - just that hey, it's a fun film to watch drunk.
Okay. Demonstrate the number of fatalities that take place from people driving home from the cinema drunk.
Are you being serious? No one keeps track of the data based on where the drunk drivers are driving to or from, because there is no reason to treat drunks driving home from the theater as a special category. They behave the same way on the road as any other drunk driver, and until you give evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to think they plan their nights differently from people coming home from the bar or from a night club. They are all dangerous drivers, and they are all equally likely to make the same dangerous choices. So for anyone who isn't a dipshit, general road fatality statistics will work just fine.

That, by the way, works out to one drunk driving fatality every 48 minutes in the United States according to the NHTSA.
I think you'll find they do keep track of data based on where drivers are departing from and travelling to in many jurisdictions. This is necessary for a number of reasons - insurance claims, liability, backtracing any potential criminal liability, and public health. You will find studies, for instance, that examine comparative drink-driving rates after sporting events versus background, in areas where late night bars are open versus those where there are early closings, and so on.

The reason I asked you to demonstrate that drunk cinemagoers are a category of special concern is because, as far as I'm concerned, you seem to be under the impression that I have advocated for people to go to the cinema, get drunk, and then drive home. I haven't done so, and the only reasonable way to impute such advocacy would be for cinemagoers to especially choose to drive rather than take public transportation or walk, and so it seems to me that you must possess evidence of their constituting such a category of special concern that would make my comments knowing of or reckless in regards to this special prevalence of drunk cinemagoers. In the absence of such a special category, then you are simply upset that I recommended someone drink at all, period, as that is all I have done - a statement that can in no way be reasonably inferred or imputed to condone engaging in any additional conduct, let alone conduct as dangerous as drunk driving.
You are, however, clearly part of the cultural problem, which in turn feeds into the drunk driving problem. The fact you asked for specific road statistics for theater patrons VS all other drunks shows your bias towards seeing this behavior as harmless, whereas the actual statistics don't lie, it absolutely has a harm we can quantify. This is a large scale issue, obviously, but for every individual who knows how to get home without a car, there are probably twenty who drink and drive anyway, and they don't understand the difference between you and them. Because its actually a very small (if important) difference.
Sure. But here's what I keep getting at: In order to make this argument, you need to presuppose that my suggestion can be reasonably inferred or imputed to include the idea of drinking dangerously nd/or preceding the operation of a motor vehicle. This is not the case, and no reasonable person could conclude that it is. So no - I'm not part of the 'cultural problem' unless you consider responsible alcohol consumption in public venues a problem in and of itself. This is so because my direct participation precluded such dangerous behaviours and because no part of my suggestions can reasonably be inferred or imputed to include any recommendation to the contrary.

It is not dissimilar to crying about fires when suggesting someone light some candles for a romantic evening. I would not ordinarily expect to need to include the unspoken clauses as explicit ones - to say 'well, why not surprise her with candles (making sure to avoid any flammable materials near them, keep water nearby, and be prepared to act quickly if one topples over)?' rather than just 'why not surprise her with candles?' Similarly, I do not expect to need to say - as you seem to feel is necessary - 'Take a bottle to watch this film, it's a good one to watch drunk (but make sure not to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated)' to otherwise presumably responsible adults aware of the need for safe practices and conduct when intoxicated.
You know what, I don't give a flying fuck. You want to nitpick reasons to insult me, but the reality is this. I work retail in Colorado, and trust me, while I have never seen someone light up in the store (we would kick them out and they know it), I absolutely smell it on people all the time. And I'm not hypersensitive or anything, all of my coworkers smell it too, and we all find it unpleasant because it smells like a dead skunk. And not from close up, several feet away. It doesn't matter whether you are smoking it inside or outside, it lingers on you just as badly as tobacco (which also smells like hell's anus, by the way). Especially if its fresh. The problem is that after a while, you go nose-blind to any smell that lingers on you for too long. Its famously why people don't notice their own BO. So don't act smug, either way you smell like you encountered a skunk, and its rude to the other patrons (not to mention, technically illegal to do it in public even now).
It's not really nitpicking when you put them front and center, my friend. I don't need to do the careful searching and exclusion to suggest a mistake on your end when it's right in the middle, and it's an especially inappropriate label when I also address the rest of your point. I will make fun of you when you say dumb shit.

Now, as for the smell? I'm not nose-blind to the smell of tobacco or marijuana, nor, as a rule, to alcohol. I know for a fact a pretty good number of the audience were stoned for RoS when I saw it because I saw them outside smoking a joint. While in the cinema, there was no trace of the scent. It works quite similarly with liquor: The scent drops off quite quickly outside of close proximity unless there's been a lot of it, it's been metabolized, or you're consuming it from an open vessel. Coffee, as it happens, works similarly but with less tendency to cling to the imbiber - you can notice the difference by sitting five feet from someone with an open cup versus five feet with a closed lid. One is immediately obvious, the other is not.
No, I was going by memory. I don't know what the rules are at the theaters in your location. But where I live, they won't let you bring in ANY outside food or beverage, and most of the theaters don't serve alcohol to my knowledge. So the ONLY way to drink in them is to smuggle it in. I know of only one possibly exception to the rules about booze, but that was an... interesting theater, in that it was also a restaurant setup. They served you dinner as you watched the movie (you got a table and everything), so obviously no bringing your own food or drink. I can't remember if alcohol was on the menu, but it might have been. Then again, the only movie I ever watched there was District 9.
Yes, most cinemas have that policy. It is standard practice to ignore it for all sorts of things - drinks, candy, etc - to avoid snack bar pricing. I'm fortunate enough to live in a town that doesn't give a shit (you can walk in with whatever you like so long as you aren't obviously taking the piss and it doesn't disturb other patrons - in fact, the only time I ever saw someone get stopped was for trying to eat fish and chips) but this, of course, is beside the point. You made the claim that cinemas that serve alcohol won't serve it at non-R rated viewings (and, charitably, special adults-only viewings of non-R rated films) and this is simply not true. You also haven't demonstrated why it is so utterly unspeakable that someone might enjoy a beer or a cocktail, as these cinemas offer, in the same space teenagers and children may be watching a film, provided they do not disturb their experience.
Congratulations, I also don't drive for health reasons. Did you think you were the only person who has to walk places because they're a cripple, fuckhead?
You do realize that "cripple" is a slur, right? :roll:
You do realize that I'll call myself whatever the fuck I like, right? :roll: I'm a cripple. I hobble about with a cane.
I'm not looking for pity, I'm looking to give people like Galvatron context. Our argument isn't just being read by the two of us. I don't know you, and I do not know your health problems like the back of my hand. But I also don't expect many people know me that well, either. But I do find it hilarious that in one post you both champion yourself for not being part of the drunk driving problem, only to later admit you don't drive at all. :lol:
Well, when you suggest I'm part of the problem of drunk driving, yes, I think I will champion myself as not being part of it. Not driving makes it rather simpler but it does not erase the fact that my conduct does not contribute to the risk of alcohol-related traffic accidents.
You came in hot. I fired back. I never did call you an apologist for drunk driving, but you do come off as an apologist for public drunkeness, which feeds into the same. The trick is to realize they are related, and that one is harmful because of the other. You seem in denial about this. This, more than your habits, more than your personal behaviors, more than your debating tactics, more than your belief that drinking whisky in the theater isn't rude, is what gets me fired up.
You seem to be confused (yet again). Your very first post in this thread was you coming in hot at me. Before that, we hadn't had an exchange at all. Here, let me link it to you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168882&start=75#p4092244
You came in hot, I fired back - not the other way around. Or do you not consider calling someone a dumb repetitive twat coming in hot, I wonder? Now, I do defend people's right to enjoy alcohol responsibly in public venues provided they don't disrupt the experience of others. I dispute that this necessarily creates drink driving because it is, you will note, a defence of people's right to enjoy alcohol responsibly - something that necessarily precludes operating a motor vehicle while under the influence. Maybe if you hadn't decided to try and justify getting your fee fees hurt that I'd dare recommend someone treat RoS as a dumb film enhanced by alcohol by going on your insane rant about how this makes people drink drive, you'd be capable of understanding the distinction.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Having raised it, and seperate to Formless's inane blathering about the perils of alcohol, the cavalry charge is a really good example of why I've called it a dumb but fun movie that's good to watch drunk. As a moment, it's really fun, but it's kind of, well, dumb as fuck even with the gimmick of the ships being in atmosphere and jamming speeder repulsors. There's no shields so there's no reason I can think of not to clip the signal tower off with an x-wing blaster or even just ram it - if anyone else can think of why not, it might be interesting - but getting bogged down in that detail means not enjoying the audacious absurdity of a cavalry charge on top of a star destroyer during a space battle, which is something you kind of have to respect from your inner ten year old's perspective of mashing action figures from different franchises together.

It's a gloriously, stupidly amazing moment where it really is best to just let the bullshit reasons why it shouldn't work go and enjoy it, which a nice buzz pairs with nicely. There were a lot of those in this film - the hyperdrive skipping (which was, well, extremely dumb but visually pretty neat), the cavalry charge, the tie fighter vs lightsaber standoff, and the return of Luke's x-wing all come immediately to mind. They were all fun but stupid, and those are my criteria for ranking something as a dumb-fun film that's more fun with whiskey than without. The pacing issues and the overall unsatisfactory rejection of TLJ are why it's otherwise just 'okay' - it's a fun visual spectacle but not a great film, and the median of those two comes out to a 5/10 'okay' from me.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 06:55am Having raised it, and seperate to Formless's inane blathering about the perils of alcohol, the cavalry charge is a really good example of why I've called it a dumb but fun movie that's good to watch drunk. As a moment, it's really fun, but it's kind of, well, dumb as fuck even with the gimmick of the ships being in atmosphere and jamming speeder repulsors. There's no shields so there's no reason I can think of not to clip the signal tower off with an x-wing blaster or even just ram it - if anyone else can think of why not, it might be interesting - but getting bogged down in that detail means not enjoying the audacious absurdity of a cavalry charge on top of a star destroyer during a space battle, which is something you kind of have to respect from your inner ten year old's perspective of mashing action figures from different franchises together.

It's a gloriously, stupidly amazing moment where it really is best to just let the bullshit reasons why it shouldn't work go and enjoy it, which a nice buzz pairs with nicely. There were a lot of those in this film - the hyperdrive skipping (which was, well, extremely dumb but visually pretty neat), the cavalry charge, the tie fighter vs lightsaber standoff, and the return of Luke's x-wing all come immediately to mind. They were all fun but stupid, and those are my criteria for ranking something as a dumb-fun film that's more fun with whiskey than without. The pacing issues and the overall unsatisfactory rejection of TLJ are why it's otherwise just 'okay' - it's a fun visual spectacle but not a great film, and the median of those two comes out to a 5/10 'okay' from me.
It would be funny if the Stardestroyer captain just tilted the warship and let all the rebels/resistance fell off the ship thanks to gravity.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-12-22 03:09am a. The Holdo manoeuvre being retconned as a 1 in a million chance or something ridiculously low probability. It makes Holdo seem like a better character, even if I disliked her leadership style, she at least has some skill to pull that stunt of.
That's not a retcon? It was TLJ-haters who harped on and on and on and on and on and on about how the Holdo maneuver "breaks the setting", nothing in TLJ ever intimated it was easy. That it's so rare makes this a statement of the obvious.
b. So Rey and Kylo can teleport stuff via the forcelink.
That was already setup in TLJ, with the rainwater on Ben's hand, and the fact that they can literally touch at all.
e. Rey's parents being nobodies. So they really were of importance but decided to hide themselves from Palpatine, so they really were nobodies. Or you could look at it as Kylo just bullshitting.

Now the fact that parents were revealed to be not special in TLJ wasn't the problem for me per se. It was that the film was setting it up, only to subvert expectations. Well maybe, you shouldn't set it up then. But now that they did, it kind of requires some big reveal to sate the audience's expectations. At least ROS helped offset this.
I don't really get what you mean, but this retcon is clearly insane nonsense from beginning to end. What kind of ludicrous idiot - knowing that their father - the Emperor - is actually somehow alive - decides that the best possible way to protect his daughter (why he is then killed by the Sith dude is never stated) is not to deliver her to Luke Skywalker, then a Jedi Master, but to instead literally sell her into a life of indentured servitude to Unkar Plutt, one of the worst people alive? It's complete garbage and a total asspull, and a fundamental weakening of Rey's character to connect her power to some fucking guy from the OT. It sucks so goddamn much. The idea that this is better than TLJ's formulation is just batshit to me, and worse, as a retcon it damages the entire trilogy retroactively.

It'd be like in ROTJ if Yoda, when asked if Vader is Luke's father, says "well he was your legal guardian for a weekend one time so technically he was for a bit but not really." It's that bad.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

They also fucked up the depiction of the force as this mysterious power in the galaxy that people can't quite pin down easily. That's why the depiction of the force was so effective in the previous SW movies. You have a small glimpse of what the force can do, but it feels like it's almost akin to "luck" than a generic superpower. The mysticism of the force is all gone.

The will of the force guiding the actions of the heroes, the implications that all events in the galaxy is shaped by the will of the force is entirely abandoned to give you force lighting, but even MORE COOL!
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

ray245 wrote: 2019-12-22 07:46am
loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 06:55am Having raised it, and seperate to Formless's inane blathering about the perils of alcohol, the cavalry charge is a really good example of why I've called it a dumb but fun movie that's good to watch drunk. As a moment, it's really fun, but it's kind of, well, dumb as fuck even with the gimmick of the ships being in atmosphere and jamming speeder repulsors. There's no shields so there's no reason I can think of not to clip the signal tower off with an x-wing blaster or even just ram it - if anyone else can think of why not, it might be interesting - but getting bogged down in that detail means not enjoying the audacious absurdity of a cavalry charge on top of a star destroyer during a space battle, which is something you kind of have to respect from your inner ten year old's perspective of mashing action figures from different franchises together.

It would be funny if the Stardestroyer captain just tilted the warship and let all the rebels/resistance fell off the ship thanks to gravity.
Now that would have been a moment on par with if they'd just smash cut to 'The End' with the first blaster bolt turning Luke into chunky salsa in TLJ.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Also I know you've already stopped but god don't do that again with the off-topic posts about alcohol Christ.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 07:55am Now that would have been a moment on par with if they'd just smash cut to 'The End' with the first blaster bolt turning Luke into chunky salsa in TLJ.
It's also completely dumb why they didn't just use the fighters to blow up the antenna on the Stardestroyer.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

ray245 wrote: 2019-12-22 08:10am
loomer wrote: 2019-12-22 07:55am Now that would have been a moment on par with if they'd just smash cut to 'The End' with the first blaster bolt turning Luke into chunky salsa in TLJ.
It's also completely dumb why they didn't just use the fighters to blow up the antenna on the Stardestroyer.
I think mostly they just wanted an excuse for cavalry in the first place. It might have made more sense if the Emperor's secret lair was the same planet as the cavalry and the ships were just being uncovered but under a dome shield or something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-12-21 11:11pm It sounded to me like Rey would have simply become another meat puppet for her grandfather if she'd taken his offer and gone through with the ritual. If that's how the Sith do it, is it possible that Palpatine (and every other Rule of Two master and apprentice before him) was really just Darth Bane in a new body?

Like a Russian nesting doll with Bane at the center, masterminding the whole thing for a thousand years.
In addition what Ralin said, the way Palpatine talked about it seemed like something that either he or his master had discovered not a millenia old Sith Tradition.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n