The Last Jedi is actually good.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

The Last Jedi is actually good.

Post by Rhadamantus »

Even if I'm biased I still think this is a solid film, if a tad too heavy handed. I'm pretty proud of how good The Force Awakens was, but The Last Jedi falls way short of the latter despite its incredible acting and impressive visual art.
But it's not all fun and games though. I've been saying this forever: Lucasfilm's lack of interest in storytelling is the problem with their universe. The characters have gotten flaky over the course of the trilogy; Han, Leia and Luke just don't hold a candle to the original trilogy, or even Force Awakens. Han is an idiot. The Princess Leia isn't as good as either of them. The Jedi are an uninteresting lot, more like a bunch of weird alien guys playing chess with each other, and Luke just doesn't seem like the type they want to hang out with.
And yet, some of the movies (and they probably haven't really changed since the prequels came out) managed to be better than the originals.
And if the prequels are so good, why aren't they better? You see, the old "good and bad" movies tend to have a few things in common - they're mostly bad and poorly produced. And while the first few movies were probably a little bit better, by their fourth instalment they became pretty terrible, and the third movie is even worse. So in the grand scheme of things, that's not a major reason why The Last Jedi is so damn good.
Now, I'm not sure if this is an entirely surprising result, because what I don't like about The Last Jedi is its badness, which has led many to dismiss this movie as just plain bad. And if you're like me, you like the movie because it's not the same old Jedi story. Yes, Han and Leia are on the same side, but that's really the only reason to watch it. And the plotlines are really weird - and I would argue even more so when you see the opening scene
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Last Jedi is actually good.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This is the internet nerd equivalent of throwing a grenade into a crowded room, but I agree that TLJ is better than its given credit for, at least among the most vocal fans online. It has the usual top-notch visuals and music, an extended space combat sequence, greater diversity in casting, furthered Finn's arc, deepened Rey's characterization (not by a great deal, but still), subverted some tropes that needed subverting, and best of all, gave Luke a wonderful send-off. All of that is more than enough for me to excuse its weaker points (chiefly the humour and some elements of the plotting, overuse of misdirection at times, the waste of Phasma, and the shippy stuff with Kylo and Rey).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-19 09:05pm This is the internet nerd equivalent of throwing a grenade into a crowded room, but I agree that TLJ is better than its given credit for, at least among the most vocal fans online. It has the usual top-notch visuals and music, an extended space combat sequence, greater diversity in casting, furthered Finn's arc, deepened Rey's characterization (not by a great deal, but still), subverted some tropes that needed subverting, and best of all, gave Luke a wonderful send-off. All of that is more than enough for me to excuse its weaker points (chiefly the humour and some elements of the plotting, overuse of misdirection at times, the waste of Phasma, and the shippy stuff with Kylo and Rey).
Yeah, as for the story? To say the story is a mixed bag is an understatement. Though the majority of it revolves around Kylo, the novel has more than enough to do for a standalone novel, and it has its reasons. For those readers who've spent a fair amount of time on the internet, this is where things become somewhat unclear; even if Star Wars lore, Star Wars characters and the stories of the films all revolve around the same person, the stories are completely different.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2019-05-19 07:40pm Even if I'm biased I still think this is a solid film, if a tad too heavy handed. I'm pretty proud of how good The Force Awakens was,
I didn't know you worked on it.
but The Last Jedi falls way short of the latter despite its incredible acting and impressive visual art.
But it's not all fun and games though. I've been saying this forever: Lucasfilm's lack of interest in storytelling is the problem with their universe. The characters have gotten flaky over the course of the trilogy; Han, Leia and Luke just don't hold a candle to the original trilogy, or even Force Awakens. Han is an idiot. The Princess Leia isn't as good as either of them. The Jedi are an uninteresting lot, more like a bunch of weird alien guys playing chess with each other, and Luke just doesn't seem like the type they want to hang out with.
And yet, some of the movies (and they probably haven't really changed since the prequels came out) managed to be better than the originals.
And if the prequels are so good, why aren't they better? You see, the old "good and bad" movies tend to have a few things in common - they're mostly bad and poorly produced. And while the first few movies were probably a little bit better, by their fourth instalment they became pretty terrible, and the third movie is even worse. So in the grand scheme of things, that's not a major reason why The Last Jedi is so damn good.
Now, I'm not sure if this is an entirely surprising result, because what I don't like about The Last Jedi is its badness, which has led many to dismiss this movie as just plain bad. And if you're like me, you like the movie because it's not the same old Jedi story. Yes, Han and Leia are on the same side, but that's really the only reason to watch it. And the plotlines are really weird - and I would argue even more so when you see the opening scene
Was this post written under the influence of alcohol? Han isn't in The Last Jedi.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, TLJ is a great movie and easily one of the best in the series.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-05-20 06:23am
Rhadamantus wrote: 2019-05-19 07:40pm Even if I'm biased I still think this is a solid film, if a tad too heavy handed. I'm pretty proud of how good The Force Awakens was,
I didn't know you worked on it.
NecronLord wrote: 2019-05-20 06:23am
but The Last Jedi falls way short of the latter despite its incredible acting and impressive visual art.
Was this post written under the influence of alcohol? Han isn't in The Last Jedi.
Sorry, but there's nothing more powerful than a single shot of a drink to really get your brain buzzing.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Rhadamantus
    Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Vympel wrote: 2019-05-20 06:38am Yeah, TLJ is a great movie and easily one of the best in the series.
    Yeah, there is no doubt that Joss Whedon knows he has made a masterful effort of directing this fantastic movie so far, but it really deserves the most attention right now with his work-in-progress "Star Wars" and "Guardians of the Galaxy."

TLJ's movie is one of the best films ever made in the "darker" world of "Star Wars."

He absolutely captured the essence of space in a movie like this.

TLJ really nailed the idea of the "Jedi Knight" in this movie.

There is an epic battle between the Jekku warriors and the Jedi of the ancient galaxy.

The Jekku warrior is definitely cool as it doesn't really make much sense for them to fight.

TLJ really made the battle feel exciting and action packed in every possible way. And, he really didn't care about any one character. A lot is made out of them and the fights in this movie are pretty spectacular.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

The Romulan Republic
    Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Okay, I think he's trolling us/high/someone hacked Rhadamantus's account.

Or maybe he's in a paralel timeline where TLJ was directed by Joss Whedon. :D
    "I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
    Rhadamantus
    Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-20 04:03pm Okay, I think he's trolling us/high/someone hacked Rhadamantus's account.

Using GPT-2 to generate responses, actually. It's surprisingly coherent.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Civil War Man
    NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2019-05-20 06:28pm
    The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-20 04:03pm Okay, I think he's trolling us/high/someone hacked Rhadamantus's account.

Using GPT-2 to generate responses, actually. It's surprisingly coherent.
    That does explain it. I was starting to wonder whether that drink you were referring to was mescaline, because I cannot think of any alcohol strong enough to produce such gems as "what I don't like about The Last Jedi is its badness, which has led many to dismiss this movie as just plain bad" or "There is an epic battle between the Jekku warriors and the Jedi of the ancient galaxy" with a single shot.
    Kurgan
    Sith Marauder

Yeah, good at making me angry!

Post by Kurgan »

Agree to disagree. "The Last Jedi" is what Empire Strikes Back would have been if Lucas had given the reins in '78 to Ron Howard, who had hated Star Wars so much, he deliberately tried to subvert as much of the previous film in his story as possible. For people who hate Star Wars (or hated TFA) it would seem to be a delicious revenge, but totally unnecessary as some supposed installment in a saga. If there's one thing Lucas did better than doing Star Wars, it was pissing off his own fans. Now Disney has taken that trophy away. But each to his own... not to judge. :kill: :banghead:

No matter what comes down the pipe, somebody will defend it. If you think Star Wars was always flawed and needed to go into a new direction (but by new direction you meant a fan fic that was a remix of what came before with swerves doomed to be dated, like an "infinities original trilogy"), I guess you can make that point stick. Any movie can have cool visual effects these days, and representation is about the least relevant part of entertainment for normal people.
    fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
    Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024