Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by eMeM »

OMG!
Lieutenant Yogar Lyste!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Anyone else catch Rebel Recon? It made mention of the number of planets in the Mandalorian sphere of influence. Apparently it consists of over a thousand worlds. All of which the Empire is now presumably oppressing.

That's, uh, a whole lot of Mandalorians to account for!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

In TCW Mandalore was speaking for 2000 worlds, but I thought it was a... voluntary league, not one that they obtained by conquest :)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

eMeM wrote:In TCW Mandalore was speaking for 2000 worlds, but I thought it was a... voluntary league, not one that they obtained by conquest :)
it was voluntary (Ryloth was one those planets and it seems to be under it's "own" authority rather that of Mandalore), however world and planet aren't always equal when speaking of SW, a world generally means a member world or at least a signifigant colony, while planet can mean pretty much any uninhabited rock or gass ball, though in this context I assume it would mean colonies big enough to not be considered mere outposts. :wink:
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Woooo, a documentary about code cylinders, that's not what I expected.

Also, tension. It's a really nice word that very rarely can be used to describe an episode of Rebels.
We need more stories about people without plot armour.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

You are probably going to get that, hard , if this goes as I think it will. Thrawn has demonstrated he plays for keeps
And all because, this infantile collection of morons, who call themselves Rebels, cannot practice the most basic OpSec....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I like how they just handwaved the shuttle escaping from a trio of Star Destroyers after everyone involved knew it contained escaping rebels.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

And that the way to greet a hostile shuttle is with a sector governor and a single trooper in a suddenly empty hanger.

Apparently the Death Star is unique in having manned security on its prison blocks too.

Thrawn might be 'playing the long game' but he is making himself look like an idiot in the meantime.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It is not so much Thrawn as it is just the way the Empire is portrayed in this series.

Unfortunately I think it is a consequence of the format as much as anything. Because the episodes only have 22 minutes, they often create storytelling issues like this because they are pressed for time and have some pretty extreme budget constraints. Clone Wars regularly had the same sorts of problems in general.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm guessing the length of the episodes is partly the reason why didn't go for large cast of expendeble characters around the main characters. The way I would done something like the Thrawn arc was to have main characters build this pool of semi-regular characters who can act both as pool of allies for missions but can be sacrificed to show the might of the empire and act as way to allow the main characters to escape but still have it cost for them since a friend had to loose their life to allow them to escape.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

They couldn't even afford to have Kallus in his pajamas at the start!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hmmm... well, Thrawn wanted Fulcrum to "win" and presumably Chopper did some systems sabotage? Prevented the tractor beams from operating or the ship from signalling the rest of the fleet?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Darth Tanner wrote: Apparently the Death Star is unique in having manned security on its prison blocks too.
Thrawn noted that the detail was absent after the sensors were identified as deactivated
Thrawn might be 'playing the long game' but he is making himself look like an idiot in the meantime.
He's playing the 'expected' part of "bumbling Imperial admiral" to lure the rebels into a false sense of security.

Also I think that instead of hunting down the Rebels base...he is tricking the Rebels to do the job for him. Kallus will be used to expedite this
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

If Thrawn ever made a backup of his map he may already know where the base is...
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

I expect he already knows from the look on his face when he checked the map after entering his office. Maybe he has a photographic memory?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If Thrawn let them change it, all he has to do is compare the "before" and "after" to see what different and he'll have the base's exact location.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Raesene wrote:I expect he already knows from the look on his face when he checked the map after entering his office. Maybe he has a photographic memory?
Dunno, his voice sounded like he was genuinely surprised nothing's missing.
Galvatron wrote:If Thrawn let them change it, all he has to do is compare the "before" and "after" to see what different and he'll have the base's exact location.
Unless he doesn't have any backup :P
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

While that isn't a bad plan, it wouldn't work here as it was Kallus who determined which planet was altered and Kallus doesn't know the location of the rebel base. I wonder if Kallus will survive this season, it seems like they're setting him up to die.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:While that isn't a bad plan, it wouldn't work here as it was Kallus who determined which planet was altered and Kallus doesn't know the location of the rebel base.
Correction: Ezra recognized the planet first and then Kallus told Chopper to erase it and add a decoy.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Logically aside from the assassination attempt on Thrawn, Thrawn would also surmise that the vital coordinates he's got (that Kallus knows of) would be something that the Rebel sleeper agent would want to be altered too since even with Thrawn dead, the Imperials can still continue narrowing down the systems and eventually discover the Rebel base...

Heck, I bet Thrawn intentionally let Kallus and company know his search plans and his narrowing down of the possible worlds in order to spur them to action. If Thrawn has photographic memory, then letting the Rebel spies delete the location of their base (or, two worlds that might contain their base)... and comparing/finding out which ones they deleted, would save Thrawn all the trouble of eliminating the last hundred or so planets.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think what's hurting Thrawn as a character atm is that he doesn't have Palleon equilevant whom he could explain his plans (which I suspect might be due to the time/budget limitations), if we had at least some indication of Thrawn plans beyond the guess work from episodes it would help his character loads as we would have some idea as to what his end game might be as well as better picture of the level competence in display as we could see which failures were "playing the role" and which were actual failures on Thrawn's part.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Best episode of the season so far IMO.

A few observations:
1. Thrawn's flagship is Chimaera, all's right with the world.
2. Anybody else loved that the codeword for the assassination droids was Rukh?
3. Governor Price was obviously setup by Thrawn. He placed all possible suspects in a position to help the Rebels escape with minimal effort

EDIT: Haha, Thrawn had the Holy Grail in his office.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Thanas wrote:EDIT: Haha, Thrawn had the Holy Grail in his office.
He did, didn't catch that one.

As for Price I wouldn't be surpriced if Thrawn had a fall guy (or gal in the case of Gov. Price) or 2 in case the risks he was taking didn't pay, he seems to smart to be ignorant about how the empire deals with failure of any kind, if the plan works Thrawn can say "it was all part of the plan to expose the rebel base to a swift death blow" and if things didn't work he can officially pin the blame to one the fall guys while personally making note as to what actually went wrong.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's a reasonable hypothesis.

Thrawn generally doesn't seem like the kind of leader who passes his failures off as the fault of his subordinates, at least in TTT. However, I doubt he could have gotten as far as he did, especially as an alien in the Empire, without a very good understanding of Imperial culture and internal politics.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

This week's episode is up on Disney XD's site already, for those with access to it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician