Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:Besides, I'm sure having Mon Mothma as a passenger would increase the stakes for every episode in which the ship faces mortal danger.
But then people will complain there will be no real tension because we know she survives. I mean, I think it's a stupid complaint, but people will make it regardless.

At least when the Ghost crew is in danger, there is the question of whether or not they survive, even if for all practical purposes it is extremely unlikely they do something like that outside of a season finale/premiere. Kind of like when Ahsoka was in trouble during TCW, there was always the question on the back of one's mind, "Is this episode where they finally drop the axe?"

Then again they didn't actually kill her off, and I swear to Christ I don't know what the obsession is with practically demanding these main characters need to die, but whatever.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably a combination of grimdark fetishism and fans thinking that every single fucking thing has to fit together, so they must be dead because they're not in the OT, and again, "Galaxies are big" apparently isn't enough of an explanation. :roll:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

RogueIce wrote:But then people will complain there will be no real tension because we know she survives. I mean, I think it's a stupid complaint, but people will make it regardless.
But those people are morons who should be ignored. We already know that Hera and the Ghost are still around as of Rogue One.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Probably a combination of grimdark fetishism and fans thinking that every single fucking thing has to fit together, so they must be dead because they're not in the OT, and again, "Galaxies are big" apparently isn't enough of an explanation. :roll:
It's Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka who should die (or turn to the dark side) before TESB in order for Luke to be their last hope (no matter how big the galaxy is).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote:
RogueIce wrote:But then people will complain there will be no real tension because we know she survives. I mean, I think it's a stupid complaint, but people will make it regardless.
But those people are morons who should be ignored. We already know that Hera and the Ghost are still around as of Rogue One.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Probably a combination of grimdark fetishism and fans thinking that every single fucking thing has to fit together, so they must be dead because they're not in the OT, and again, "Galaxies are big" apparently isn't enough of an explanation. :roll:
It's Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka who should die (or turn to the dark side) before TESB in order for Luke to be their last hope (no matter how big the galaxy is).
Eh, Luke would still be a better bet than any of them against Palpatine and Vader. None of them are as strong as he has the potential to be, and none of them have the same connection to Vader that allowed for his redemption (well, Ashoka might possibly have been able to reach him, but she didn't seem terribly interested in trying, so much as in trying to cut his face off).

For continuity to be preserved with the OT, we only need for Tarkin and Yoda to believe that their are no more Jedi (or be lying through their teeth, technically). Ashoka doesn't even technically contradict that in any case, since she is no longer a Jedi, but a non-aligned Light Side Force user.

That said, while I haven't watched the show much lately, I get the sense that they're definitely setting up Ezra's fall to the Dark Side. And Ashoka's fate is ambiguous. Which would leave only Kanan as a real loose end.

So yeah, Kanan's future prospects aren't looking great. Especially if his apprentice is going to fall.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:For continuity to be preserved with the OT, we only need for Tarkin and Yoda to believe that their are no more Jedi (or be lying through their teeth, technically). Ashoka doesn't even technically contradict that in any case, since she is no longer a Jedi, but a non-aligned Light Side Force user.
Yoda cared about defeating Vader and the Emperor, and we've already seen that none of the three can handle Vader, let alone his Master. "Last of the Jedi" perhaps (assuming we don't Certain Point Of View that one), but worst case is that Kanan loses his faith like Ahsoka did, he doesn't need to die.

Tarkin is a possible loose end, with "last of their religion" but he also states that their "fire has gone out of the galaxy" which I can't help but think the S1 episode "Fire Across the Galaxy" title is a reference to, so they just need a sufficient beatdown for Tarkin to think they've stopped being an issue - along with maybe a move to some part of the galaxy he is unconcerned with (or lying low until after Yavin) for that to be resolved. A beatdown Thrawn may or may not be delivering from what we've seen in the trailer...
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka, Maul and the Inquisitors all wind up killing each other, thereby leaving Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader and Palpatine as the only remaining trained practitioners of either Force discipline.

I always wondered if Yoda could have extended his life any longer in order to train Leia, as a contingency.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Where *are* the rest of the Inquisitors now?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Where *are* the rest of the Inquisitors now?
All the ones introduced thus far are dead. We have no idea about the rest, though since we saw the Fifth Brother, Seventh Sister, and Eighth Brother as well as the Grand Inquisitor, we can reasonably assume that there are at least four more somewhere, possibly more than that (assuming the Grand Inquisitor counts as the First Brother; if he doesn't the minimum is five) precluding of course any dying off screen for some reason.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Dash Rendar probably killed his fair share.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Don't you mean Kyle Katarn?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Or Cassian Andor probably placed IEDs on their fancy TIEs...

Or, hell, that's how Saw Gerrera lost his legs. He was giving a dropkick to an Inquisitor but the rotor-lightsaber blades chopped his legs off. But his legs had enough momentum so his feet still flew off and hit the Inquisitor's face. Giving enough distraction for Saw's best friend, BOR GULLET, to make his move and strangle the living crap out of the Inquisitor while Gerrera grabs his legs and bashes the Inquisitor's face in. Like the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds, but with amputated limbs instead of baseball bats.

I bet as Saw turns the Inquisitor's face into space-mush, he was screaming "SAVE THE REBELLION SAVE THE DREAM" while sirens blared in the background.

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Today's episode was enjoyable good pacing all around. Spoiler
Zebulon getting the inventory droid to reprogram the infiltration droid to explode upon returning got even Thrawn to say good job
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Classic Thrawn, turning a defeat into a victory. Love it, he's tightening the noose bit by bit.

Rebels Recon also confirms that the egg Klik Klack was trying so hard to protect? It's the Queen from the Vader comics. So his efforts will end in tragedy. Did leave open the possibility of other Geonosian survivors, maybe (those are extensive tunnels, after all).

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I don't have the channel, so can't see the episodes live, rely on you guys and RebelsRecon to try to keep up. But even so - Jesus, Zev; it took a couple milliseconds to figure out your plan was just 5 flavours of BAD. HURHURHUR. yeah, Blow Stuff Up..... yeah. Sure. Awesome. Small problem. You think MAYBE the Empire knows what droid is sent to survey WHICH sector?? So when one with serial number xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx comes back and immolates itsself, that MAYBE , that can cut down the area of the Galaxy that needs searched? Oh, lordy.
Plus, now Fulcrum (Kallis) has to break the normal contact schedule, and get a message which basically says "suggest moving base ASAP >> location may be compromised...." It IS good story work though. Well done
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It exploded immediately, such that they couldn't tell which of the many droids that had returned had done it afterward. (Also, apparently the droid carried a proton bomb of sufficient power to blow all the way through a Star Destroyer, from the hangar bay to straight out the dorsal armor, or at least it touched off something in that region of the ship that could.) Even so, Thrawn noted that this narrowed the search down to the 94 systems those droids had been to, so the discovery of Chopper Base is imminent.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I rather enjoyed it. Zeb sure is lucky that they were able to wrap everything up. The smart thing would have been to alert base security immediately, having the extra hands to search for the droid.

Also, anyone else notice how the infiltrator droid rather resembled C-3P0's original design?

EDIT: Also, holy crap, Zeb looks like he was based on the original Chewbacca designs, I never noticed that before. Original Chewbacca design
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

If Thrawn keeps this up I will recend my earlier complaints about the character not stacking up against the version from the novels.

One thing that is interesting about this era is that it actually forces the Empire to play a more strategic game in many ways, as the Rebels are much harder to find. It forces Thrawn to be a detective as much as he is a strategist.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Rogue 9 wrote:It exploded immediately, such that they couldn't tell which of the many droids that had returned had done it afterward. (Also, apparently the droid carried a proton bomb of sufficient power to blow all the way through a Star Destroyer, from the hangar bay to straight out the dorsal armor, or at least it touched off something in that region of the ship that could.) Even so, Thrawn noted that this narrowed the search down to the 94 systems those droids had been to, so the discovery of Chopper Base is imminent.
I just figured that it added the proton bombs of the other droids to the explosion. One may not have done that much damage but what about 94?
Burak Gazan wrote:I don't have the channel, so can't see the episodes live, rely on you guys and RebelsRecon to try to keep up. But even so - Jesus, Zev; it took a couple milliseconds to figure out your plan was just 5 flavours of BAD. HURHURHUR. yeah, Blow Stuff Up..... yeah. Sure. Awesome. Small problem. You think MAYBE the Empire knows what droid is sent to survey WHICH sector?? So when one with serial number xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx comes back and immolates itsself, that MAYBE , that can cut down the area of the Galaxy that needs searched? Oh, lordy.
Plus, now Fulcrum (Kallis) has to break the normal contact schedule, and get a message which basically says "suggest moving base ASAP >> location may be compromised...." It IS good story work though. Well done
They made the best they could of a bad situation. They didn't know how many droids were sent but knew if that one reported in or didn't return the empire would come looking.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

But the droid only returned because it was unable to transmit its findings remotely - chances are most of them are still running around and reporting in regularly...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

hunter5 wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:It exploded immediately, such that they couldn't tell which of the many droids that had returned had done it afterward. (Also, apparently the droid carried a proton bomb of sufficient power to blow all the way through a Star Destroyer, from the hangar bay to straight out the dorsal armor, or at least it touched off something in that region of the ship that could.) Even so, Thrawn noted that this narrowed the search down to the 94 systems those droids had been to, so the discovery of Chopper Base is imminent.
I just figured that it added the proton bombs of the other droids to the explosion. One may not have done that much damage but what about 94?
You'd also have the fuel for those pods, not mention any possible shuttle or startfighter fuel/munitions.

I like how Thrawns plan is rather fail proof but in a realistic way. Either the droid fails to report in which case Trawn knows the rebel base is on one of the surveyed systems reducing the potential candidates from thousands (which could essentially mean anything below 999 999) to mere 94 or the droid completes its mission successfully and Thrawn knows exactly where the rebel base is.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

FaxModem1 wrote:Also, anyone else notice how the infiltrator droid rather resembled C-3P0's original design?

EDIT: Also, holy crap, Zeb looks like he was based on the original Chewbacca designs, I never noticed that before. Original Chewbacca design
This show makes heavy use of the McQuarrie concept art. If there was a sketch made for the OT, odds are it will end up with a showing in Rebels. It's also why the A-wings and ISDs look different than their movie versions.
AMX wrote:But the droid only returned because it was unable to transmit its findings remotely - chances are most of them are still running around and reporting in regularly...
For all we know there are 200 or so droids total, but the 94 number came from those that happened to return to that ISD at that point in time. The sabotaged droid was definitely not alone, they were processing a bunch of them.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I wouldn't be surpriced if the droids were programmed to "scan signs of a base from orbit, if found land to comfirm, if a possible rebel base is found transmit cordinates then return to base, if nothing is found return to base to await for a new target" as base level programming with secondary protocols for things like if the transmitter was damaged.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Anyone want to take a screenshot and actually count how many worlds Thrawn was reviewing? Or should we assume that was only a sample of the worlds Thrawn was reviewing?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

RogueIce wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Also, anyone else notice how the infiltrator droid rather resembled C-3P0's original design?

This show makes heavy use of the McQuarrie concept art. If there was a sketch made for the OT, odds are it will end up with a showing in Rebels. It's also why the A-wings and ISDs look different than their movie versions.
The Mon Cal B-Wing designer scienticiangineer is also named after McQuarry himself.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thrawn said 'a thousand' and I seriously doubt we saw that many onscreen.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'