Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Rogue 9 »

New TV spot on Facebook. We've got a line of dialogue for Blonde Mustache Guy, and he doesn't sound like Biggs at all either.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:New TV spot on Facebook. We've got a line of dialogue for Blonde Mustache Guy, and he doesn't sound like Biggs at all either.
Wrong thread, sport. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I realized that after the edit window, thanks. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I find interesting how much they continue to develop Maul's character. Also, I never realized that the darksaber was supposed to be the Mandalorian's version of Excalibur.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I like how subtly they changed him, how they added tiredness, desperation, wisdom and even a little regret. The fury of his is still there but buried deeper. The short trigger he has.

As for the Darksabre, it has to be something. It means a lot if you think about it, because if there is one thing that Jedi do not give up easily is their lightsabres. The Darksabre might have been taken form a Sith too, so managing to pry that from their cold, dead hands is really a sign of Mandalorian warrior spirit.
Last edited by Zixinus on 2016-12-22 03:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I can't help but wonder if they're grooming him for a Vader-like redemption.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Galvatron wrote:I can't help but wonder if they're grooming him for a Vader-like redemption.
Possibly. I get the sense that he is tired, lonely and not as in-tune with the Dark Side like he once was. His relationship with Ezra might not lead him where he expects it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, at the end of Visions and Voices he clearly learned that Obi-Wan is on Tatooine (Of course! Where it all began!); meanwhile the Ghost crew says that a world with two suns doesn't narrow it down very much. So either they pull some crazy shenanigans to figure it out, or Maul is riding off into the sunset of an Obi-Wan Kenobi spinoff movie, from which he's unlikely to return.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

It'd be ridiculously disappointing of the current plot line resulted in Maul failing to find Obi-Wan, so from an out-of-universe perspective it's basically a guarantee they'll meet.

And we know Obi-Wan is none the worse for the wear when we first see him in A New Hope, just three in-universe years after Rebels' current point in time.

My only question is whether Maul decides to aggressively attack Obi-Wan (in which case I would bet Maul fails and dies), or whether his weariness and broadened perspective since abandoning Sith teachings leads him to redemption, or at least just leave his dark past behind.

So.. redemption or death.
Or, this being Star Wars... both.

I suppose there are other possibilities, but these seem the most likely.

Anyway, at first I felt that his reintroduction into Rebels was unnecessary clinging to a film favorite badass just for kicks, but I too am really liking where they're taking him. His last words to Ezra before leaving Dathomir really made him a character you can sympathize with.. it looks like he's no longer a typical "bad guy", he's just tired and lonely, and isn't really sure what he wants anymore.. and that's probably because he never had the chance to develop and have a normal life.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It wouldn't surprise me if Maul finds Obi-Wan living the lonely life of a desert hermit and all the years of hatred and obsession with vengeance simply fade away. They're both broken and defeated old men with no reason to fight each other and it would be a very mature direction for the story to take if Maul realized that.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That'd be an interesting direction. Star Wars: Grumpy Old Men
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

now I got the mental image of Maul and Obi-wan sitting outside of Kenobi's hovel complaining about how things were so much better then they were young and that kids these days have no respect.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Lord Revan wrote:now I got the mental image of Maul and Obi-wan sitting outside of Kenobi's hovel complaining about how things were so much better then they were young and that kids these days have no respect.

"Get off my lawn!"
*zaps kids on hoverboards with force lightning*

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:now I got the mental image of Maul and Obi-wan sitting outside of Kenobi's hovel complaining about how things were so much better then they were young and that kids these days have no respect.
Sooner or later, Maul might realize that Palpatine is his true enemy and that the enemy of his enemy is his friend. He doesn't necessarily have to be redeemed or "see the light" in order to be pragmatic about that.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Mid season trailer:

A lot is happening.

Dodonna, Mothma, Organa.

Mon's wardrobe got hit hard by the show's budget and Bail got older I think. 

Familiar faces.

Home One and Nebulon-B debut, and I think the earliest canonical apperance.

And the Dornean Gunship, a movie ship that flew under the radar for over 30 years and it took the universe reset for someone to finally notice it.

Red Y-wings, again a simulation or the real things this time?

Can't believe my eyes, ISDs opening fire. Unbelivable, finally the Empire realised that a warship can perform its functions much better when you attach some weapons to it.
Also note an Interdictor in the upper part of the picture.

Sabine's mom I guess. Asian features, like Sabine.

Can someone explain to me the point of introducing TIE Inteceptor to the show and picturing it as this top notch unbeatable superfighter just to add TIE Defenders to Empire's arsenal a few episodes later?
And the X-wing is totally going to be introduced as a counter to the Defender, which changes the power balance quite a bit.

More shields for local shield discussions :P

Yularen or Pellaeon? I think Yularen, but because of the smoke I'm not sure if the tunic is white.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

Stardestroyers opening fire :D must have been Tuesday :lol:
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

That is looking pretty good to me!

Wonder what we'll get once we hit Yavin territory. Only two years to go,...
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Home One already? The Profundity was supposed to be the first Mon Cal cruiser ready for combat at the time of the Battle of Scarif.

Maybe they used Home One as an unarmed carrier for a while?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Mustached Imperial officer is unlikely to be Pellaeon, too old. So probably Yularen or a new guy.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Pellaeon is supposed to be old. From page 1, chapter 1 of HTTE:
Keeping his eyes on the engineering display, Pellaeon waited until he could hear the sound of the approaching footsteps. Then, with all the regal weight that fifty years spent in the Imperial Fleet gave to a man, he straightened up and turned.
Additionally, most of the depictions of him on his Wookieepedia page show him with white hair and a white mustache too.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:Pellaeon is supposed to be old. From page 1, chapter 1 of HTTE:
Keeping his eyes on the engineering display, Pellaeon waited until he could hear the sound of the approaching footsteps. Then, with all the regal weight that fifty years spent in the Imperial Fleet gave to a man, he straightened up and turned.
...the Empire wasn't around 50 years for there to be an Imperial Navy that long? (albeit this is before anybody knew it had only been around twenty-ish years before Endor so Zahn gets a pass there, I suppose)

But I'm not sure the math adds up there.

I'm okay with Pellaeon being in the Clone Wars, say. Perhaps even the Yinchorri Uprising. But the Clone Wars only covered a few years. Then there's twenty-some years of Imperial rule up to Yavin, Endor happens a few years down the road, and in the old canon, the Thrawn Trilogy happens less than ten years after Yavin, so that can't be much more than say thirty, thirty-five years max.

Now if you backdate Pellaeon's career to have him being a Republic Judicial or something along those lines for a couple decades or so before the Clone Wars, then I suppose I can buy that. Wookieepedia says something like that, apparently, so it's not an original concept.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, he was retconned along with a lot of other Zahnisms, but he's still supposed to be an older man with white hair and amustache.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:Yeah, he was retconned along with a lot of other Zahnisms, but he's still supposed to be an older man with white hair and amustache.
People can go grey at a fairly young age even in the Star Wars galaxy, I suppose...

So say he was a Republic Judicial for some time before the Clone Wars, served in the Republic Navy then, and became an Imperial officer afterwards. That works well enough, and they did introduce the Chimera when they brought Thrawn in.

Unfortunately not having seen Rebels I can't say whether they've already shown Pellaeon or not... I'm inclined to say the character is Yularen, mostly because most depictions of Pellaeon show him with his hat on while Yularen usually doesn't have a hat.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Also, Rebels is to some extent a sequel to The Clone Wars, they've brought in a lot of characters from the first show, and Yularen was a recurring guest on that series.

But with Thrawn around now...

Well, it could be either.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elheru Aran wrote:Unfortunately not having seen Rebels I can't say whether they've already shown Pellaeon or not...
Why haven't you seen Rebels?