Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by Rogue 9 »

Given the nature of the story, if I were to take guessed I'd say he's ISB.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Galvatron wrote: Besides, the Eclipse was apparently stolen four year after the Battle of Yavin, then abandoned, then recovered by the reborn Emperor's forces. Even if Thrawn knew about it, it may not have been available to him during his campaign anyway.
It was briefly captured by Zann while under construction at Kuat but never actually moved.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Seems like a real hackjob were going to get. Super implausible character, who has to be another English sounding white women of course for reasons, with the worst possible horrible traits for being a secret agent/spy/covert anything, and a bunch of really dumb looking fighting. I was hoping these side story movies would be where some more exoticism came back into the franchise but looks like nope. Certainly I don't see a trace. Frankly the moment I saw the moron with the staff I just gave up hope, I'll have to settle for being happy if it isn't a literal Force Awakens 2.0.
Disney buys the IP of real artists; they don't hire them to make movies.
The fact that this is from the director for Godzilla, which could put most of its problems squarely on poor direction and a failure to give the audience what it rationally wanted is also filtering my expectations and opinions.
It's also written by Gary Whitta, who wrote After Earth, the movie that left John Travolta feeling great relief since thanks to Whitta, Battlefield Earth is now only the second worst Scientology film ever made.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Elfdart wrote:
George made a horrible mistake in appointing Kathleen Kennedy to be the head of Lucasfilm. That's what happens when you don't have a storyteller in charge of Star Wars.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elfdart wrote:Disney buys the IP of real artists; they don't hire them to make movies.
Well, Marvel, which is Disney-owned, got Joss Whedon to make two Avengers films and work on Agents of SHIELD. I don't know that I'd call Whedon an artist, but he has talent, and his own distinctive style, as opposed to being merely a hack.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

ray245 wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
George made a horrible mistake in appointing Kathleen Kennedy to be the head of Lucasfilm. That's what happens when you don't have a storyteller in charge of Star Wars.
I doubt Kennedy had a whole lot of say in the matter, since Bob Iger is the one who is really in charge. Lucas hired Kennedy and Arndt (giving him a story outline) and persuaded Ford, Fisher and Hamill to sign up before he sold to Disney. Iger promptly shit-canned Arndt (plus George's story), brought in one of the biggest hacks to direct, and demanded the movie be ready for Christmas 2015, even though the star was unable to work thanks to being seriously injured by one of those "REEEEEEAL SETS!" internet fatties like to gush over. Well, that's a perfect storm for derivative, unoriginal film-making and guess what -that's exactly what Disney served up.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Disney buys the IP of real artists; they don't hire them to make movies.
Well, Marvel, which is Disney-owned, got Joss Whedon to make two Avengers films and work on Agents of SHIELD. I don't know that I'd call Whedon an artist, but he has talent, and his own distinctive style, as opposed to being merely a hack.
My issue with Joss is he's a TV series director, and the Avengers films really show his limitations, especially in regards to cinematography.

This video, in the 4.57 mark demonstrated why some cinematography described The Avengers as a boring movie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8[/youtube]

Now, Disney did hire some really creative talent in people like Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson. Both of them have a rather interesting visual style.

Rian Johnson's top 10 movies (apparently he asked the production crew of Ep 8 to watch them) are rather interesting choices.

https://www.criterion.com/explore/37-ri ... n-s-top-10

He's probably the most creative director hired by Disney, which is why I am disappointed he is handling Ep 8 as opposed to 7. He would have set up a much different universe for other directors to explore, rather than being constrained into repeating the themes seen in the OT.
I doubt Kennedy had a whole lot of say in the matter, since Bob Iger is the one who is really in charge. Lucas hired Kennedy and Arndt (giving him a story outline) and persuaded Ford, Fisher and Hamill to sign up before he sold to Disney. Iger promptly shit-canned Arndt (plus George's story), brought in one of the biggest hacks to direct, and demanded the movie be ready for Christmas 2015, even though the star was unable to work thanks to being seriously injured by one of those "REEEEEEAL SETS!" internet fatties like to gush over. Well, that's a perfect storm for derivative, unoriginal film-making and guess what -that's exactly what Disney served up.
Kennedy was the one pushing for Abrams, even after he said no. Disney as a parent company tends to give their subsidiaries a lot of creative freedom. I think she made some good decision in hiring some interesting directors like Rian Johnson and Gareth Edwards. However, the people she hired to write the stories and the script tends to be a bigger issue.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote: It's also written by Gary Whitta, who wrote After Earth, the movie that left John Travolta feeling great relief since thanks to Whitta, Battlefield Earth is now only the second worst Scientology film ever made.
Gary Whitta departed the project last January, he was replaced by Chris Weitz.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote:
Elfdart wrote: It's also written by Gary Whitta, who wrote After Earth, the movie that left John Travolta feeling great relief since thanks to Whitta, Battlefield Earth is now only the second worst Scientology film ever made.
Gary Whitta departed the project last January, he was replaced by Chris Weitz.
Why would any sane producer even hire Gary Whitta in the first place?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: Why would any sane producer even hire Gary Whitta in the first place?
Presumably they liked his treatment, then changed their minds. It happens.
Sea Skimmer wrote:Seems like a real hackjob were going to get. Super implausible character, who has to be another English sounding white women of course for reasons, with the worst possible horrible traits for being a secret agent/spy/covert anything, and a bunch of really dumb looking fighting. I was hoping these side story movies would be where some more exoticism came back into the franchise but looks like nope. Certainly I don't see a trace. Frankly the moment I saw the moron with the staff I just gave up hope, I'll have to settle for being happy if it isn't a literal Force Awakens 2.0.
Because of course we've never seen anyone use a staff or other mundane edged or blunt weapons in Star Wars before?

... except for nearly every single type of Jabba's guards in Return of the Jedi, the Emperor's guards, and General Grievous' guards.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

All of whom got their asses kicked, or turned out to be useless.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote:My issue with Joss is he's a TV series director, and the Avengers films really show his limitations, especially in regards to cinematography.
Hmm.

He certainly has more directing experience in television, but I don't think he's a bad film director. Then again, Whedon was a writer first and a director second.

That said, I don't think Avengers is the best to show case his style, perhaps because he was working inside someone else's world and with certain limitations.

Serenity is a better example of what Whedon can do as a film director in my opinion, despite the fact that he was working on a much smaller budget.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote:All of whom got their asses kicked, or turned out to be useless.
Unlike all the bad guys with guns, who were of course super effective in comparison :)

The point is that these sorts of weapons are common in Star Wars, and its ridiculous to call it out as being some sort of offense.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

There's also the fact that all the people he mentioned getting beaten soundly...were beaten by Jedi or other Force users, who make up a vanishingly small part of the population.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
ray245 wrote:My issue with Joss is he's a TV series director, and the Avengers films really show his limitations, especially in regards to cinematography.
Hmm.

He certainly has more directing experience in television, but I don't think he's a bad film director. Then again, Whedon was a writer first and a director second.

That said, I don't think Avengers is the best to show case his style, perhaps because he was working inside someone else's world and with certain limitations.

Serenity is a better example of what Whedon can do as a film director in my opinion, despite the fact that he was working on a much smaller budget.
That's really no excuse considering the Russo brothers produced something more cinematic than Whedon. Anyone directing a film must understand visual storytelling is the most important thing, not just the dialogue.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Chimaera wrote:Thrawn was a Chiss wasn't he? The guy in the trailer looks decidedly human. Maybe he'll be a 'Thrawn in all but name' type, unless they pull a Star Trek Into Darkness/Spectre and have him announce himself as Thrawn accompanied by BWUUUUUM music.
The rank badge has me more curious than anything. It's the same one that Admirals Piett and Ozzel wore in TESB, but Admiral Motti and General Tagge had far smaller badges in ANH. Only Tarkin himself had a badge that size, although with slightly different colored squares.

Could he be the unidentified ISB Director mentioned in the Tarkin novel?
Batman wrote:The guy in the trailer also didn't wear a Grand Admiral's uniform.
People can't get past the white tunic.
Kal_Skirata
Redshirt

Post by Kal_Skirata »

I've been wondering if the man in white might be Armand Isard, who was recanonized in Tarkin. Isard was the head of Imperial Intelligence, which would make him a good fit for the story, hunting down those who stole the Death Star plans. Also, the man in white's rank badge is identical to what Isard wore in Legends comics; six red above six blue. Also, while their uniform colors are different, Armand Isard usually wearing red, the style, minus the cape, is pretty similar and Disney may want to keep a more uniform Imperial color scheme.

Compared to this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/a/ae/Armand-Isard-design.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/500?cb=20120130020446[/img]
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My guess is that the guy will be a version of a special troubleshooter cliche in the tradition of Inglourious Basterds' Hans Landa,someone outside the chain of command or directly appointed by Palpy.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Thanas wrote:My guess is that the guy will be a version of a special troubleshooter cliche in the tradition of Inglourious Basterds' Hans Landa.
Oh man...now you've got my mind racing about casting Christoph Waltz in a Star Wars movie one day :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Can't be any more of a waste of his talents than the last James Bond movie was.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Parsimony would suggest that he's an ISB General/Admiral as the ISB exists in the new continuity and it seems like they associate Yularen with it still.

For what it's worth Rebels also shows ANH and ESB style rank plaques pre-existing before the Battle of Yavin, compare Admiral Konstantine to Admiral Titus.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Kal_Skirata wrote:I've been wondering if the man in white might be Armand Isard, who was recanonized in Tarkin.
I think he's more likely to be someone we haven't heard of before, like the unidentified ISB Director, so they can create as much of his bio from scratch without shitting all over Isard's old EU version.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Kal_Skirata wrote:Image
I don't know if this is even still an issue, but this pretty much puts to rest the idea that the Empire switched over from one badge-rank system to another between ANH and ESB, doesn't it? The ISB Marshal in RO has the same rank scheme as Death Squadron, and would appear to be concurrent with the regional rank system used under Grand Moff Tarkin.

EDIT: Oops... missed Necronlord's post just above... LOL! But, no really, is it still a contentious issue? Because I remember reading about it on Saxton's site and largely agreeing with his assessment.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Something random I just noticed in the trailer(though only because someone else pointed it out) is that it sounds like we heard Vader breathing just before Jyn turns in the final shot, the one where she is wearing an Imperial uniform.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

applejack wrote:I don't know if this is even still an issue, but this pretty much puts to rest the idea that the Empire switched over from one badge-rank system to another between ANH and ESB, doesn't it? The ISB Marshal in RO has the same rank scheme as Death Squadron, and would appear to be concurrent with the regional rank system used under Grand Moff Tarkin.

EDIT: Oops... missed Necronlord's post just above... LOL! But, no really, is it still a contentious issue? Because I remember reading about it on Saxton's site and largely agreeing with his assessment.
I don't think it means anything conclusive. Tarkin had a rank badge with just as many squares. I can easily imagine that the Director of the ISB would have had one similar to that of a Grand Moff, whether before ANH or not.