Marvel Star Wars #1

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tychu
Jedi Master

Marvel Star Wars #1

Post by Tychu »

First off I'd like to say the series is well put together. The art and lettering, script seems on par with the hey day of Dark Horse's offerings.

Two problems that I have off the bat. I never have pictured C-3PO ever saying "May the Force be…" it doesn't seem right. I could be biased and full of Old EU info but it doesn't fit.

Second it seems one of our own (I forgot who on this board brought it up) had a prophetic vision. Now I'm not saying that it will come to fruition but it seems "Corellia" will become an Industrial Corporation in the nEwU
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Marvel Star Wars #1

Post by Crazedwraith »

This is, I take it, a new series of licensed comics? Rather than the old 70s series?
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Yea, the first new Marvel Star Wars series came out this past Wednesday.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Marvel and Star Wars are both owned by Disney, so Dark Horse obviously didn't get their license renewed.

Now I swear C-3PO said "May the Force be with you."...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Tychu wrote:First off I'd like to say the series is well put together. The art and lettering, script seems on par with the hey day of Dark Horse's offerings.

Two problems that I have off the bat. I never have pictured C-3PO ever saying "May the Force be…" it doesn't seem right. I could be biased and full of Old EU info but it doesn't fit.

Second it seems one of our own (I forgot who on this board brought it up) had a prophetic vision. Now I'm not saying that it will come to fruition but it seems "Corellia" will become an Industrial Corporation in the nEwU
Meh, it would make sense for a protocol droid to adopt common sayings like that. I'd have more of a problem with R2 tweeting it out.
born in shadow
Youngling

Post by born in shadow »

Havok wrote:Now I swear C-3PO said "May the Force be with you."...
I think he says it in the line for Star Tours at Disneyland, for all that's worth.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Tychu wrote:Two problems that I have off the bat. I never have pictured C-3PO ever saying "May the Force be…" it doesn't seem right. I could be biased and full of Old EU info but it doesn't fit.
What doesn't fit?
born in shadow wrote:I think he says it in the line for Star Tours at Disneyland, for all that's worth.
He does indeed.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Started reading the comics, not bad so far. Having the crew try to step on Vader with an AT-AT, only for the Dark Lord to stop the foot in mid-air and start crushing the walker, gave me the warm fuzzies :D
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Just finished issue #3. I'm disappointed with this page since it seems to be at odds with Vader's "Obi-wan has taught you well" line in TESB.
Spoiler
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Galvatron wrote:Just finished issue #3. I'm disappointed with this page since it seems to be at odds with Vader's "Obi-wan has taught you well" line in TESB.
It does however fit Vader's comments to Palpatine: "He's just a boy, Obi Wan can no longer help him."
Though it was more likely he was lying to Palpatine than Luke.

In any case, both could be true. Luke was well trained, but it was still incomplete training.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Note also that TESB has Yoda training Luke, and Vader isn't (as far as I know) aware that Yoda is alive, so unless he had any other offscreen information that I don't know about, Vader would have only come to the conclusion that Obi-wan trained Luke via Force ghost.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Elheru Aran wrote:Note also that TESB has Yoda training Luke, and Vader isn't (as far as I know) aware that Yoda is alive, so unless he had any other offscreen information that I don't know about, Vader would have only come to the conclusion that Obi-wan trained Luke via Force ghost.
Or he didn't realise just how soon before Kenobi's death Luke began training.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Note also that TESB has Yoda training Luke, and Vader isn't (as far as I know) aware that Yoda is alive, so unless he had any other offscreen information that I don't know about, Vader would have only come to the conclusion that Obi-wan trained Luke via Force ghost.
Or he didn't realise just how soon before Kenobi's death Luke began training.
I suppose that's also another plausible explanation. He may have thought that Kenobi took a more active role in bringing Luke up... although in that case Luke wouldn't have almost fluffed the DS proton-torpedo shot, apart from nerves... and Vader would have (probably) detected him much more early on. But from all indications he assumed there was no Jedi apart from Kenobi on the DS previously.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Vader: "Impressive -most impressive".

Vader expects Luke to be a pushover, but Luke shows up with more knowledge of the force than Vader expects, So naturally Vader thinks Obi-wan trained him well - I don't see how there is a conflict between movie and comic.

After all, "Obi-wan has thought you well" is a remark on Lukes provers which Vader naturally thinks he learned from Obi-wan since he saw them both on the Death Star.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Anacronian wrote:Vader expects Luke to be a pushover, but Luke shows up with more knowledge of the force than Vader expects, So naturally Vader thinks Obi-wan trained him well
But Vader just kicked his ass in the comic. That's why he assumes that Luke is untrained. So why would Vader think that Luke's improvement in the three years between ANH and TESB was due to Obi-wan's training?

The story arc would work so much better if these EU writers could just resist the urge to have Luke and Vader fight prior to their showdown in TESB.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Galvatron wrote:
Anacronian wrote:Vader expects Luke to be a pushover, but Luke shows up with more knowledge of the force than Vader expects, So naturally Vader thinks Obi-wan trained him well
But Vader just kicked his ass in the comic. That's why he assumes that Luke is untrained. So why would Vader think that Luke improvement between then and TESB was due to Obi-wan's training?

The story works so much better if these EU writers can resist the urge to have Luke and Vader meet prior to TESB.
- I always assumed that Vader knew about force ghost since he saw Obi-wan's body disappear when he struck him down on the Death Star and then came to the conclusion that Obi-wan's force ghost had trained Luke after the Death Star battle.

But of cause this comic may shine a new and different light on the events.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

They can fix it if Obi-wan's ghost appears to Vader and tells him that he's still helping Luke from the beyond the grave. Or even if just Obi-wan's voice tells Vader that he's still around in some capacity. As was already suggested, this could be yet another revelation that Vader would probably want to keep to himself and not tell the Emperor about.

Come to think of it, Obi-wan routinely showing up to haunt and mindfuck Vader would be an awesome way to use his ghost prior to the events of TESB.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Galvatron wrote:They can fix it if Obi-wan's ghost appears to Vader and tells him that he's still helping Luke from the beyond the grave. Or even if just Obi-wan's voice tells Vader that he's still around in some capacity. As was already suggested, this could be yet another revelation that Vader would probably want to keep to himself and not tell the Emperor about.

Come to think of it, Obi-wan routinely showing up to haunt Vader would be an awesome way to use his ghost prior to the events of TESB.
He could haunt him by telling him Luke is his son.. :D

Notice in the comic how Vader doesn't know who Luke is yet, Obi-wan telling Vader could be what sets the events of ESB in motion, The offer of ruling "like father and son" and all that.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Interesting idea. I rather like it. I hope the writers are paying attention to feedback like this.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

There's nothing to fix. Obi-wan taught him well. So what...that doesn't mean Luke was trained. In fact even Yoda was pretty explicit about him still be something that can be described as untrained when he ran off in ESB.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Did you read the comic?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Would you like to post the comic so I can read it in the weeks it takes before I get these things usually? Not an attempt to break rules, more a sarcastic jab at you, by the way. I go by what I get my hands on when I get it. When Obi-wan is said to teach him well fine, obi-wan taught him well. Good for Obi-wan. Doesn't mean Luke is trained. Someone being actually trained is a little more...expansive and a judgement of the actual trainee.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

In short, Luke and Vader faced each other in the comic and Vader absolutely owned him. It wasn't at all like the furious battle they had in TESB so Vader came away from the encounter entirely unimpressed by Luke's ineptitude. This all takes places within days after Obi-wan's death, BTW.

So why, three years later in TESB, would Vader attribute Luke's "impressive" display of training to be Obi-wan's doing? Did he suffer amnesia about their earlier encounter? The only fix for this situation, as was suggested earlier, is for Vader to be made aware of Obi-wan's continued influence upon Luke from the afterlife.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

They seem to stick a whole lot of that in, but it seems there might be an out at the end of episode III if Vader figures out what's possible. Didn't Yoda hint at Obi-wan contacting Qui-gon?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Galvatron wrote:They can fix it if Obi-wan's ghost appears to Vader and tells him that he's still helping Luke from the beyond the grave. Or even if just Obi-wan's voice tells Vader that he's still around in some capacity. As was already suggested, this could be yet another revelation that Vader would probably want to keep to himself and not tell the Emperor about.

Come to think of it, Obi-wan routinely showing up to haunt and mindfuck Vader would be an awesome way to use his ghost prior to the events of TESB.

:mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician