December 2015 Release Date

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Havok
Miscreant

December 2015 Release Date

Post by Havok »

Does the choice to move Star Wars into December kinda bug anyone else?

Star Wars created the summer blockbuster and the May release date always seemed to be something that belonged to Star Wars and that every other movie since has tried to take from it, so to speak. I dunno, being a little traditionalist I guess, but I don't want Star Wars at Christmas.

Am I alone in this?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JLTucker
BANNED

Re: December 2015 Release Date

Post by JLTucker »

They may be doing it for awards consideration or even to get away from the summer blockbuster competition. They want to maximize profits, after all.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Disney has presumably earmarked mid 2015 for Avengers 2, and the end of the year for Star Wars. There's no reason to have them stepping on one another's toes.

Though the awards idea certainly is... interesting.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Do you really think people are going to chose between new Star Wars and new Avengers? I'm guessing no.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Conspiracy theory: The story will be focused on Life Day in some way, and that's why they're releasing it in December. The story will likely focus on Czerka Corporation rebuilding the fallen Empire and the Wookie slaves they spread about the galaxy spread the celebration of Life Day across the galaxy.

Damn, someone should pay me for this shit! (Re: bribe me to never, ever try and get a writing gig to release that idiocy)
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Havok wrote:Do you really think people are going to chose between new Star Wars and new Avengers? I'm guessing no.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I mean I don't think that Disney feels or think one will take away from the other. I don't think that is the reason for the move. I could see it giving six more months of production time as the reason.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Every movie by J.J.Abrams could benefit from several years of script polishing and editing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

HUR HUR. Well as Lawrence Kasadan is co-writing the script, I'm not really worried about it. But as my thread is about how people feel about it being released in December and not the traditional May, not the reasons why, none of this really fucking matters.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

As for feelings, I'm cool with it being in December, because that's summer here.

Also, I won't have to decide between Star Wars, Avengers 2 and Batman V Superman. Space them out, and everyone can have my money!

- George Carlin
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I always thought the 2015 release was just too short a time period if they didn't have a decent script already well in hand. Personally I would have pushed it back to 2016 at the least since if Disney proves they can do Star Wars well (which they need to prove with the first movie) then they have a cash cow franchise they can milk for generations (they have that anyway, but there is a difference decent Star Wars fans aka go see the movie because it has Star Wars in the title and Star Wars FANS who go see the movie, buy it on blu-ray, buy the tie-in novels, etc because they love what you did).
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broken wrote:I always thought the 2015 release was just too short a time period if they didn't have a decent script already well in hand. Personally I would have pushed it back to 2016 at the least since if Disney proves they can do Star Wars well (which they need to prove with the first movie) then they have a cash cow franchise they can milk for generations (they have that anyway, but there is a difference decent Star Wars fans aka go see the movie because it has Star Wars in the title and Star Wars FANS who go see the movie, buy it on blu-ray, buy the tie-in novels, etc because they love what you did).
This is something that certain people (Lucas himself but it started with Spielberg I believe) are worried that Holywood in a bid to be more profitable is diluting their own product by shoving more and more mediocre movies into the schedule to to big giant expensive movies resulting in four or five movies being released every week two of which might be major releases. In the 80s had legs because you had eight-ten weeks to see them plus another four week chance in the cheap theaters later on. But today movies are in an out of the top five inside three weeks because there are just so many movies being released.

People simply don't have the money to go watch 52 movies in a year. In fact I believe we are averaging 10 in a year for frequent watchers.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Gandalf wrote:As for feelings, I'm cool with it being in December, because that's summer here.

Also, I won't have to decide between Star Wars, Avengers 2 and Batman V Superman. Space them out, and everyone can have my money!
It is going to be less cluttered as BvS has been pushed back to May 2016.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Havok wrote:HUR HUR. Well as Lawrence Kasadan is co-writing the script, I'm not really worried about it. But as my thread is about how people feel about it being released in December and not the traditional May, not the reasons why, none of this really fucking matters.
I really just don't care. "Star Wars in summer" never held any emotional significance for me, and about the only real difference it made for me waiting in line as a kid was that waiting in line for six hours in May was easier than it would have been to wait in line for six hours in December.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm just going to think of it as an extra Christmas Gift. Plus it frees up the summer for other movies.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!