ROTS Revisited: Did palpatine genuinely lose to Windu?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

ROTS Revisited: Did palpatine genuinely lose to Windu?

Post by AndroAsc »

I believe this question was asked and debated hotly when ROTS was released. I followed some of the discussions but never stood around long enough to see the conclusion.

When watching the Blu-Ray release... this question come back to me. Has there been a definitive "canonical" answer as to whether Palpatine genuinely lost the saber match to Windu, or was he faking it all this while?

My take:
1) Palpatine genuinely lost the saber combat to Windu. However, he also decided to stop fighting when he sensed Anakin was coming (i.e. he could have easily force pushed/lightning Windu and make a hasty retreat when he lost his saber).
2) The entire "I'm so weak" and facial scarring part was a fake show put up by Palpatine, as evidenced by how quickly he recovers once Anakin chops off Windu's arm.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: ROTS Revisited: Did palpatine genuinely lose to Windu?

Post by Captain Seafort »

AndroAsc wrote:My take:
1) Palpatine genuinely lost the saber combat to Windu. However, he also decided to stop fighting when he sensed Anakin was coming (i.e. he could have easily force pushed/lightning Windu and make a hasty retreat when he lost his saber).
Agreed. Anakin wasn't present at the time, and the risk that Windu would have simply taken his head off was too great.
2) The entire "I'm so weak" and facial scarring part was a fake show put up by Palpatine, as evidenced by how quickly he recovers once Anakin chops off Windu's arm.
I doubt the scarring was an act, and I doubt that Palpatine's weakness was entirely pretence. I do, however, agree that he was significantly exaggerating the effect the lightning was having on him, both physically and the effort of generating it.
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

I believe the whole thing was an elaborate ruse designed to lure Anakin to the dark side.

The way he dispatched the other two, and how he was merely toying with mace the entire fight, as if simply killing time before the final.

but that's just my own opinion.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

I used to think it was official that Palpatine was faking. The problem is how could you add it now? The only person who could say is Palpatine and he could just be lying.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I think that thematically, it's much stronger if Palpatine was really about to be killed. This distinguishes Anakin as the one really ESSENTIAL Sith apprentice (without his turn at that moment everything comes tumbling down), it establishes that once you SEE that there's a Sith Lord pulling your strings you can prevail (otherwise why bother fighting, you're doomed no matter what), and it makes the character of Mace Windu have an actual point and moment of glory instead of just being an exposition machine.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Publius did a pretty good analysis of the fight based on the novelization's description. Apparently, Mace's combined skill with Vaapad and his shatterpoint ability allowed him to best Papatine in the actual saber duel, but that Palpatine was on the verge of basically shoving Mace's lightsaber back into his face with the barrage of Force Lightning.

It strikes me as rather convenient that Palpatine's Force powers just give out, with him moaning pitifully about being "too weak," only to immediately start screaming "Unlimited power!" the moment Anakin sides with him.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

TC Pilot wrote:It strikes me as rather convenient that Palpatine's Force powers just give out, with him moaning pitifully about being "too weak," only to immediately start screaming "Unlimited power!" the moment Anakin sides with him.
True to an extent, but given the extent to which he was melting, I think it's more likely that he was exaggerating his weakness than putting it on entirely.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Publius did a pretty good analysis of the fight based on the novelization's description. Apparently, Mace's combined skill with Vaapad and his shatterpoint ability allowed him to best Papatine in the actual saber duel, but that Palpatine was on the verge of basically shoving Mace's lightsaber back into his face with the barrage of Force Lightning.
The fight is so different between the sources though...
It strikes me as rather convenient that Palpatine's Force powers just give out, with him moaning pitifully about being "too weak," only to immediately start screaming "Unlimited power!" the moment Anakin sides with him.
Oh, he's clearly playing the situation as it unfolds, as soon as Anakin shows up.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Havok wrote:Yes.
This. Palpatines force lightning was getting blown right back at him by Windu and that was the only weapon he had left. The only way to say he threw the fight is to claim he purposely lost the lightsaber duel, but there is zero evidence of that and the novel contradicts it. It may hurt your butt if you're a dickless fanboy, but Palpatine fucking lost. Get over it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

On the one hand there's no real evidence that Palpatine threw the fight. On the other hand, its remarkably convenient for Palpatine that he lost just how and when he did. Setting up the crucial choice to turn Anakin fully to the darkside. He lost while Anakin was close enough to save him and without losing any major limbs.

Could be he threw the fight, could be just luck or 'the will of the force'.

Another theory comes to mind; I've been re-read Matt Stover's Mace Windu book 'Shatterpoint' wherein Mace is allowed to stay with a band of guerrilla fighters after loosing a battle with their leader Kar Vastor. Vastor's a force sensitive though and would realise if Windu had simply thrown the fight. So Windu sets up the fight in such a way that he can't win it even is he tries his hardest. Making his capitulation seem genuine.

It occurs to me that Palptine could have done the same thing. Given his fight with Yoda, Palpatine's fight style seems to be geared more towards lightening and massive amounts of TK, rather than straight up swordsmanship.

If Palps had situated himself in the senate room to face Windu as well, the fight might have gone in his favour. Being in his office may be his way of ensuring he lost but didn't throw it.

All just conjecture of course.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

We know Palpatine's grand plan was changed periodically with new events. He wanted to kill Amidala after all, at Naboo in TPM. There is no reason not to expect him to roll with the punches. He was losing to Windu and saw/felt Anakin coming and twisted events to favor him. Thematically it works, making everything that happens afterwards depend on Anakin's choice; which works again 20 years later when it's all Anakin's choice again. A redo, to do what he didn't do before, and choose light over dark. Service over power.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I think a pertinent question is what would Anakin have done if he had arrived to a victorious Palpatine. Coming to the rescue of a Sith Lord and killing a Jedi master surely cemented Anakin's allegiance, but perhaps so would a a show of the overwhelming power of the dark side.

If Palaptine believed he could win Anakin's allegiance regardless, then it was not a show. If not then the degree that Palpatine fought back is a matter of opinion.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

spaceviking wrote:If Palaptine believed he could win Anakin's allegiance regardless, then it was not a show. If not then the degree that Palpatine fought back is a matter of opinion.
On the other hand, if Palpatine had thrown the fight and Windu, rather than kicking his sabre out of his hand had simply decapitated him then the question of Anakin's allegiance would be moot.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Anguirus wrote:
Oh, he's clearly playing the situation as it unfolds, as soon as Anakin shows up.
A possible additional explanation or theory is that the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker, the apothesis of the will of the force and the immense power he is and represents turning to the Dark side and the Sith, might have been beneficial to Palpatine's powers.
It's not that farfetched, sites of great tragedies/battles/events are known to be very strong in the Darkside, while others are potent to all (The Valley of the Jedi from the Dark Forces/JK games).
I might be overly influenced by @Lord Shadowspawn's monologue on how Sidious "Couldn't lose" as long as he was following out fate/The dill of the Dark.
/Take with pinch of salt.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
lstyer
Redshirt

Post by lstyer »

Anguirus wrote:I think that thematically, it's much stronger if Palpatine was really about to be killed.
I can't back it up with any argument as to what was happening, but I, too, prefer the notion that Palpatine lost the duel "fair and square," for pretty much the reasons you list. It just leaves us with a stronger story.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Given the way he smokes three other Jedi Masters in less time than it takes to say it, then farts around with Mace that long, then conveniently hits the floor half a second before Anakin walks in, then goes from "I'm so weak!" to "POWAR!!1!" at the drop of a hat, I'm inclined to think he was faking.

It seems like a stretch, but if ever there were someone willing to bet his own personal ass on such a convoluted outcome, it's Palpatine. This is a guy who can see the future, who has great faith in his own precognition, and who is a schemer of absolutely epic proportions with a well-documented willingness to gamble his own life in order to execute those schemes.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

DudeGuyMan wrote:Given the way he smokes three other Jedi Masters in less time than it takes to say it, then farts around with Mace that long, then conveniently hits the floor half a second before Anakin walks in, then goes from "I'm so weak!" to "POWAR!!1!" at the drop of a hat, I'm inclined to think he was faking.

It seems like a stretch, but if ever there were someone willing to bet his own personal ass on such a convoluted outcome, it's Palpatine. This is a guy who can see the future, who has great faith in his own precognition, and who is a schemer of absolutely epic proportions with a well-documented willingness to gamble his own life in order to execute those schemes.
Yeah. He was only vulnerable for a few seconds. Sidious lost his lightsaber moments before Anakin entered the room; precognition wouldn't even have been necessary to sense Anakin's coming.

I think that Sidious didn't go all out against Windu (if he had, his eyes would have changed to Sith yellow) and basically allowed his defeat to happen. Killing Windu before Anakin arrived would not have cornered Anakin in the same way. I suspect that Anakin would have attacked him in an attempt to force Sidious to reveal his secrets, and while he still might have turned to the dark side, it wouldn't have been nearly as easy for Sidious.