Why were Droidekas such a problem for Jedi in TPM?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Why were Droidekas such a problem for Jedi in TPM?

Post by TheHammer »

I understand that their shields prevented blaster bolts from being reflected back at them. But what was stopping Obi-wan and Qui-Gon from simply tossing them around with force TK attacks as they did to their unshielded counterparts? They then could have continued hacking their way on to the bridge, nabbing Gunray and stoppin the invasion right at the start. Granted, would have been a short movie, but still. Was the shielding somehow effective against the force?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: Why were Droidekas such a problem for Jedi in TPM?

Post by Imperial528 »

I've always rationalized it that the droidekas would have just gotten back up and started firing again, since they're not fragile like the battle droids, and if only one of the droidekas was knocked out by the force push, the second one could have easily killed the Jedi who did the force push when he wasn't defending himself.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also - the Droidekas were bound to get reinforced at any time. The entire Jedi plan in TPM was to get to the bridge before reinforcements arrived. It failed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

A Droideka has four automatic blaster weapons. I don't think that's much fun at point-blank or any range.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Destroy Malevolence from the CG Clone Wars shows why Droidekas shouldn't be a problem for a moderately capable Jedi - Obi Wan is confronted with four Droidekas but he just crushes them into balls and uses them as makeshift ramrods to clear a passage for himself through a row of battledroids. After that I concluded it's merely that pesky Jedi Force Power Amnesia that hits them every so often that makes Droidekas a threat to Jedi, nothing else.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Obi-Wan dealt with shielded droideka pretty easy in TCW (force push), but it was a very particular situation where he attacked them first, before they could open fire.

EDIT: ninja'd - but he didn't "crush" them per se, they involuntarily reverted to a semblance of their ball form and he used them as wrecking balls.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

When deployed, Droidekas are rather slow and tardy. A Jedi could theoretically force speed around or for jump over them to avoid their fire and try to attack them from behind. Droideka fire is however high in volume and spread all over the place (honestly, they only fire into the general direction of an enemy, watch the hangar scene in TPM) so there's a chance he might get hit anyway.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I always wondered if having the Droidekas deploy on a tripod formation, with a low center of gravity (most of their mass is closer to the floor than the humanoid models) might have had something to do with it... as well as the high volume of fire.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

As I see it Droidekas are the Droid Army equivalent of an SAW, they pin enemy troops with high volumes of suppressive fire while their allies advance. Of course, their accuracy is really godawful so they might accidentally hit those advancing troops but it's not like the CIS cares all that much about friendly fire *cough* Seismic Tank *cough*.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

At the point in TPM the Jedi in general were glorified cops, keepers of the peace with little battle experience that didn't involve much more than punks with blasters. The Trade Federation was said to have a battle hardened army with the droids (odd, wonder what other wars they've fought). By the Clone Wars cartoon, let alone RotS, the Jedi in general, and Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker specifically, had racked up a lot of combat experience.

I'm sure in his apprenticeship Obi Wan simple didn't think of folding up the droids using the Force, and while Qui Gon was a capable Master, he may have just never thought about attacking droideka's and figured running was for the best. We know that Qui Gon was a good swordsman, taught by his master Dooku (who was the best duelist in the Order) but that's not the same as facing down two automatic weapons with shields. Chalk it up to Obi Wan's first combat experience, not much learned except running away really fast works, he probably did better the next time.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Well, they were very quick to force push battledroids to the ground though even in TPM, so them simply not thinking of doing something similar to the Droidekas doesn't sound all that plausible.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, but Force Push, and the resultant domino-effect on the B1s, would be a good non-lethal crowd control technique.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

High rate of fire plus confined space plus shield to prevent damage from deflected bolts. Even a Jedi Master stopping long enough to go on the offensive puts down his lightsaber long enough to let a bolt get through. Once they aqre stopped at that point their objective has failed and they move on to survival and reaching Naboo as a greater priority than destroying the droidekas.

By the time of TCW Obi Wan is much more powerful and also has a lot more experience in fighting them.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

The jedi are not omniscient and while they can predict the future to some extent, it's not like it's 100% accurate. It's not reasonable to assume force powers work as the user wanted every time and in this case failure will be pretty fatal. Attempting a risky maneuver against an opponent whose capabilities you don't know can lead to disaster really quickly. The jedi we're fighting robots which follow given orders without pause and cannot be reasoned or bargained with, you give them an opening they'll blow you away. They we're fighting for their lives and we can sit in our chairs with perfect 20/20 hindsight and the knowledge neither of them is going to die until the end of the movie. Obi-Wan knocked droids earlier and it worked, this doesn't mean there was no risk involved to the jedi and it doesn't guarantee success if attempted again.
If knocking droids around was the magic win button, maybe the shitty plan at geonosis would have worked a little better.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Given that Obi Wan even knew that the destroyer droids were named Droideka it's pretty hollow to claim they didn't know what to expect. Also, they force sped/continuinty error'd their way to the back of the Droidekas forcing them to awkwardly turn around, ample time to cut them into pieces.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err-knowing the name of something does not equal knowing its capabilities. Obi-Wan recognized their shape and knew they were called Droideka. For all we know that's all he knew.
And I can't recall a single time in the PT or what I've seen of the CW showing lightsabres cutting through Droideka shields.
Since their initial plan-curbing the invasion in the bud-had already failed, what, exactly, would have been the point of hanging around to dismantle a handful of effortlessly replaced droids?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Another thing to consider is that the Droideka appearing is meant to convey that things got serious. The ship is on alert now, proper full alert. And while they can cut those two droids down in 2 minutes by that time there might be 20 or even 200 droids coming out of the wood works. And they can't defeat the entire droid compliment on their own.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

TheHammer wrote:I understand that their shields prevented blaster bolts from being reflected back at them. But what was stopping Obi-wan and Qui-Gon from simply tossing them around with force TK attacks as they did to their unshielded counterparts? They then could have continued hacking their way on to the bridge, nabbing Gunray and stoppin the invasion right at the start. Granted, would have been a short movie, but still. Was the shielding somehow effective against the force?
Droidekas are not standard battle droids who were cheaply made and poorly mass produced. There is no reason to believe that Droidekas could just be tossed around as you suggest. Nor is there any reason to think that they will simply fall apart as the cheaply made battle droids do.

Also, aside from shoving battle droids and floating food around, we have never seen Jedi or Sith throw around something as large as a battle droid. The only time we see anything that size tossed around in the heat of battle are some boulders when Yoda in AOTC was fighting Dooku or Yoda with the X-Wing in TESB. Neither of those, especially the X-Wing were easy to accomplish.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

The best part is that Obi-Wan calls them "destroyers." not Droidekas. :lol
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Batman wrote:Err-knowing the name of something does not equal knowing its capabilities. Obi-Wan recognized their shape and knew they were called Droideka. For all we know that's all he knew.
And I can't recall a single time in the PT or what I've seen of the CW showing lightsabres cutting through Droideka shields.
Since their initial plan-curbing the invasion in the bud-had already failed, what, exactly, would have been the point of hanging around to dismantle a handful of effortlessly replaced droids?
The only unexpected thing about the droidekas is that they have shields, which is what Obi Wan comments upon in the fight. Also, the droidekas have to lower their shields to turn around, so it's of no importance if lightsabers could pierce them since when they do so in the movie both Jedi are already behind them and could have slashed them to bits easily instead of running away.

Also, the suggestion is they cut the droidekas down then resume getting through the blast doors, there were no droid reinforcements to be seen anywhere near.
Anguirus wrote:The best part is that Obi-Wan calls them "destroyers." not Droidekas.
In the english version, he calls them Droidekas in the german one. Also what does it matter? It's not like there're any other droids called "destroyers".

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

I dunno. The evidence and explanations I'm seeing here are only leading me to believe that this was simply another poor plot device. Two droidekas should have been easily destroyable through a variety of means to the Jedi. And they were fairly close to cutting through the door to the bridge. If it were clear to them that they would not be able to cut through the blast doors, then I could see making a strategic retreat, but that did not appear to be the case.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Read what Thanas said and recap the film. The jedi were short on time. Every second wasted destroying the Droidekas could hamper their real mission.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Maybe it was difficulties in concentrating on two separate things at once. They were heavily absorbed in deflecting the blaster bolts from the droidekas back at their shields (which then came back to the Jedi, and so forth). Trying to focus long enough to do a decent force push might have left an opening for getting hit by a blaster bolt.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

In the english version, he calls them Droidekas in the german one. Also what does it matter? It's not like there're any other droids called "destroyers".
"Destroyer" sounds like a general type/goal to me, "Droideka" would be the specific model. This is backed up by literature IIRC (such as Survivor's Quest).

The usage is also correct in the film: Obi-Wan just recognizes them as destroyer droids, while the businessmen who purchased them know the brand name. The point is, if this is only valid for a translation of the film I don't think it can be construed to help your argument...not that IMO it did much in the first place.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Maybe it was difficulties in concentrating on two separate things at once. They were heavily absorbed in deflecting the blaster bolts from the droidekas back at their shields (which then came back to the Jedi, and so forth). Trying to focus long enough to do a decent force push might have left an opening for getting hit by a blaster bolt.
This. It's the simplest explanation and doesn't rely on the character's being stupid or on comparing them to depictions in other media which tends to wank out the Jedi compared to what we actually see in the movies.