Jedi/Sith power of Retcon?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Jedi/Sith power of Retcon?

Post by Enola Straight »

Suppose a Jedi or Sith had a random moment of introspection and said to him/herself,
"Man, I wish I could've done that differently."

Maybe he can?

Is it possible for a Force User to send a telepathic message from their present-self to their past-self, saying,
"Hey, this is what's going to happen...do that instead."

Change the past without time-travel?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Jedi/Sith power of Retcon?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

In the "Legacy of the Force" series and the "Fate of the Jedi" books (and I think the "Dark Nest" books as well), Jacen Solo and a couple others he teaches demonstrate the ability to "flow-walk" into the past or future. Whether they can actually change things is up for debate AFAIK, but the future-version apparently allowed a deranged Jysella Horn to escape the Jedi Temple by showing her what would happen if she charged off willy-nilly, showing her where the security droids were hidden and so forth.

IIRc in one of the Dark Nest books, I think "The Joiner King" Jacen sends a telepathic message to his mother in the future, but that was in the form of a sort-of force ghost/hologram that stayed in the same place, so I dunno if that counts.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No. If they could, then there would never be the moment of introspection and the message would never be sent back.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

That is only true if, for every point in the present, there is only one future, instead of a (possibly infinite) multitude of futures.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So they'd be recieving an infinite number of messages from future selves, and they're back to square one. Try again.
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

Hmmm...like some super-celebrity and fan mail.

Or me and spam :roll:

There must be some way to sender-encode and/or receiver-filter the incoming glut of pshychic info...perhaps there is a telepathic analog of frequency or phase?
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

The method Eternal_Freedom brought up, flow-walking, can't be used to alter the past. It's apparently possible to be seen, but the Force 'smoothes out' the disturbances made by your presence, making it impossible to change anything. If anything, it's more like a extreme form of psychometry. (Brought up in the second Fate of the Jedi book, if I'm not mistaken).

I think it's one of the better things about Star Wars EU, or at least something they did right; lack of time travel. If it's possible, then you're just rendered the struggles of so many things in the universe at the mercy of hack writers with cliched plots.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

^I thought that's how it worked, I haven't got to that part in the Omen book, so I was going with stuff from Legacy of the Force.

Wasn't there a bit where he takes Tahiri back to the Myrkr mission and makes her past self have one last kiss with Anakin before he dies?

At any rate, I completely agree on the "no time travel" being a good thing. There was something somewhere about an ancient Sith cruiser appearing thousands of years after it left due to a misjump, but that isnt really time travel is it?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:^I thought that's how it worked, I haven't got to that part in the Omen book, so I was going with stuff from Legacy of the Force.

Wasn't there a bit where he takes Tahiri back to the Myrkr mission and makes her past self have one last kiss with Anakin before he dies?

At any rate, I completely agree on the "no time travel" being a good thing. There was something somewhere about an ancient Sith cruiser appearing thousands of years after it left due to a misjump, but that isnt really time travel is it?
She did manage that with Jacen in Legacy of the Force, but it didn't seem to actually change anything, except for her own (present) feelings, which seems to reinforce the idea that flow-walking is just plain weird.

The Sith cruiser, the Harbinger (I think), received damage to its hyperdrive and wound up in the future. Ships have relativistic shielding to prevent such a thing; its happened before, apparently, which is why I think the Harbinger received damage to its relativistic shielding.

Link to the example above: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bosbit_Matarcher
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Enola Straight wrote:Hmmm...like some super-celebrity and fan mail.

Or me and spam :roll:

There must be some way to sender-encode and/or receiver-filter the incoming glut of pshychic info...perhaps there is a telepathic analog of frequency or phase?
How does any possible future know that its the most desirable future?

Uh oh.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Maybe the will of the force could decide, since its you know, magic and everything
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

But then you wouldn't need a stupid quantum radio, cause the magic would just tell you... which is kinda what happens already. 8)