The Clone Wars Season 3 discussion thread.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Clone Wars Season 3 discussion thread.

Post by The Original Nex »

Murazor wrote:Terrible, terrible suspicion that I REALLY hope doesn't come true.
Spoiler
The glowing girl and the red-eyed demon guy will turn out to be antropomorphic incarnations of the Force.
Is there any reason to suspect this at all??
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

*Reads latest SW Insider*

:shock:

Ventress is a Nightsister!?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why is that so unsurprising? People can become nightsisters by training.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Thing is, I thought they would keep Ventress's Rattaki background. Now it seems she's originally from Dathomir as far as Insider claims.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I doubt they will change her background.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I hope so. Insider says she goes to Dathomir because Dooku decided to have her killed on orders of Sidious. Apparently Ventress was becoming a little bit too strong for both men's tastes.

EDIT: If this is true, how the hell they're going to explain Obssesion?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Force Lord wrote:I hope so. Insider says she goes to Dathomir because Dooku decided to have her killed on orders of Sidious. Apparently Ventress was becoming a little bit too strong for both men's tastes.

EDIT: If this is true, how the hell they're going to explain Obssesion?
Dooku can always frame it as a sith test. Ventress is quite gullible when it comes to him - it took him ordering her shot in front of her eyes for her to snap out of it.
------------
------------
My LPs
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

Force Lord wrote:Thing is, I thought they would keep Ventress's Rattaki background. Now it seems she's originally from Dathomir as far as Insider claims.
Well it says she is brought to Rattatak by raiders, so its not that big of a change. What interested me on was on PG 9 where it says
Spoiler
Darth Maul is still alive. Maybe he is a clone? or that cyborg Maul from the Visionaries comic?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I hope that's either wrong or applies to some sort of flashback, because otherwise there'll be a helluva lot of convoluting...
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

Yeah I did a double take when I read that one. Here is what it says in the SW Insider in case anyone is interested:
Spoiler
"Unable to best the powerful Dooku, the two escape, but there is one last shock to come, when Mother Talzin reveals Opress has a brother, living in exile in the Outer Rim, who will complete his training: Darth Maul!"
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

...I'm trying to concieve what sort of explanation they have for that. :wtf: I'm putting my money on cloning.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

On a Ventress related continuity note, wasn't her big background exposition by a former enemy of Ventress? According to Wookiepedia it happened in issue 60 of Republic (which I don't have access to at the moment). If that was the only real exposition given, then there's probably room for events in her backstory.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a clone, there's already an entirely canon story where a Sith Cult creates a clone or doppelganger of Maul that attempts to kill Vader and Palpatine.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Talhe wrote:On a Ventress related continuity note, wasn't her big background exposition by a former enemy of Ventress? According to Wookiepedia it happened in issue 60 of Republic (which I don't have access to at the moment). If that was the only real exposition given, then there's probably room for events in her backstory.
I doubt that, especially as "she always was a member of a darksider cult" is a lot more damning than "abandoned by death of teacher and left to fend for herself on one of the most brutal world possible). If you are correct and it was exposition by a former enemy, why not simply reveal the darksider issue?

Also, episode 1 of the clone wars shows her fighting in the arenas.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

She is depicted as a child in the comics, and that her first master was Ky Narec of the Jedi ORder until he was killed. There are room for events but there is not as much room to eliminate those details without a big retcon.

Which if it's a better story, who cares? If it isn't...well fuck.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Watching the newest episode. Just thought I'd note the shout out to BSG with the droid commander responding to Dooku with 'By Your Command'.

EDIT: WARNING NEW EPISODE CONTAIN TERMINAL IDIOCY

The Nightsisters have fucking lightbows. :wtf:
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Eh, the EU already gave us lightwhips of all things.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Finished it.
Spoiler
Mother Taozin refers Savage is a male from her planet, whether this is a retcon for the entire species or it's meant to say he's a Zabrak raised in their culture is unclear as of yet.

We do, however, get to see Dooku fight Asajj and two Nightsisters assassin 3-1 with his senses dulled by some kind of poison.

Also, Ventress' past is retconned, I think the implication was she was sold into slavery to protect her tribe or some such, then her Jedi master found her as a child after her owner was killed.
As for the lightbow the 'strings' were made of some kind of solid-state beam as well.

At this point I need to ask why they don't just make fucking lightrifles and be done with it.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

According to one of the Star Wars magazines (either Insider or Clone Wars), the Zabraks on Danthomir
Spoiler
are from a group that crashed on the planet and were subdued by this group of Nightsisters. They interbred with them, resulting in the Near-Human appearance of these Nightsisters.
The ret-con discrepancies can probably be hand-waved away by the the story-tellers biases; a former enemy and slave of Ventress probably won't be entirely truthful.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Savage Oppress = Clancy Brown.

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but ... that's just awesome.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Saw it, quite a big improvement from recent episodes. Some pretty cool stuff, including some of the most sensible depiction of Force ability yet as far as I know. Wasn't too bothered about any retcons pertaining to Ventress or the Nightsisters, not knowing much of either. Only thing was as usual the capital ships seemingly not having much in the way of visible shielding, but that's hardly unique to this episode.

Also, didn't one of Lucas's daughter write these Ventress episodes?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The retcon wasn't that bad, to be honest.
------------
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Srelex wrote:Also, didn't one of Lucas's daughter write these Ventress episodes?
According to the commentary it was Katie (Katy? Whatever) Lucas.

I enjoyed again. Like others said, I know nothing of the EU backstory so I won't even notice if there are retcons. Filoni did acknowledge that it's there and that they tried to be respectful, but ultimately when they sit down with the GL they get how the "real deal goes for him, in his universe."

So yeah, I guess the EU is only a 'suggestion' for the show, depending of course on how much Lucas cares about any element I suppose. :)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This episode's a welcome change of pace (i.e. the prior pace being "fucking awful boredom and idiocy") - but one really obvious question:- why didn't they just use a poison dart with lethal poison on Dooku?

That said, Dooku's ensuing badassery (and hey, some fucking acknowledgement that Jedi don't need to use their eyes in combat! Only happened 30 years after ANH established it!) was well worth it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Who says they didn't use a lethal poison dart on Dooku? Jedi and sith have the ability to resist the effects of toxins. It's entirely possible that that dart would have been lethal if used on a non-force user.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks