SW Best pilot?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who is the the best pilot in Star Wars, all eras?

Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
19%
Han Solo
14%
Soontir Fel
12%
Wedge Antilles
43%
Luke Skywalker
6%
Corran Horn
No votes
Dash Rendar
No votes
Tycho Celchu
No votes
Lando Calrissian/Nien Numb (whoever of them who piloted the Falcon through DS2)
3%
Boba Fett
1%
Boba Fett
1%

Total votes: 69

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

If anyone has a record of Soontir Fel going up against Wedge I would like to hear it, even better if Wedge and Solo ever flew together. I still say that Solo is better then Wedge (although not by much) and if I can get this info it would prove to me which is better.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

What Luke did in Courtship of Princess Leia was a fluke. He never displayed that type of skill again, even as the post DE uber Luke.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Maybe he wasn't trying too hard. Oh yeah, I remembered that he was able to escape Thrawn's tractor beam crews. That's pretty impressive, no?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Are you refering to HTTE, or TLC? In HTTE the crewmen were sloppy, and Luke still ended up with half his systems blown out. In TLC, the frieghter was designed to repel tractor beams. Besides in those situations he was only flying an X-wing, not being pilot, copilot, and gunner at the same time.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

What I meant was that maybe all of the other times he wasn't trying too hard because in this instance he was fighting to keep the Nightsisters from getting loose in the galaxy and spreading more Sith-like people.

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

I meant Heir to the Empire.

Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

First of all Luke formed Rogue Squadron not Wedge. Luke was the leader of Rogue Squadron when he first made it. Second, Baron Fel flies an unshielded TIE Interceptor and has not died...Wedge on the other hand has been hit by numerous weapons fire and survived due to his X-wing having shields.

According to the movies though...Anakin was the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy. I believe Obi-wan mentioned that or something to that effect anyway.
"Join me and I will complete your training"
"You dont know the power of the Dark Side"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

We have yet to see Uber Ankin prove his super flying skills, Lucus hear our call :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

We saw him in TPM....lol
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

Wedge is the best by far. He survives through the Rebellion to the Yuzahn Vong. Wedge is notm a main character like luke or Han who just can't die in the movies. He is Probablly be the best star fighter pilot ever. People like Luke & Anikan/vader all have the force to help them while Wedge has to rely on skill& gut instict.

If wedge flew against luke or Anikan he would be more likely to lose because they can use the force to predict his every move(+ their main characters)

Wedge is the best then Corran Horn
3.Han solo
4.Anikan
5.Others
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

Lord_Vader wrote:First of all Luke formed Rogue Squadron not Wedge. Luke was the leader of Rogue Squadron when he first made it. Second, Baron Fel flies an unshielded TIE Interceptor and has not died...Wedge on the other hand has been hit by numerous weapons fire and survived due to his X-wing having shields.

According to the movies though...Anakin was the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy. I believe Obi-wan mentioned that or something to that effect anyway.

What's Wrong with this ?

1.That is wrong luke joined Rouge Squadron after he Enterd the Rebellion.
2.Wedge was the leader of Rouge Squadron.
3.he may fly an unsheilded Tie But the TIE makes that up with manuverability & numbers
4.wedge got hit lots of times so what Fel Probablly got hit a lot of times just not critical hits.
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

Lord_Vader wrote:First of all Luke formed Rogue Squadron not Wedge. Luke was the leader of Rogue Squadron when he first made it. Second, Baron Fel flies an unshielded TIE Interceptor and has not died...Wedge on the other hand has been hit by numerous weapons fire and survived due to his X-wing having shields.

What's Wrong with this ?

1.That is wrong luke joined Rouge Squadron after he Enterd the Rebellion.
2.Wedge was the leader of Rouge Squadron.
3.he may fly an unsheilded Tie But the TIE makes that up with manuverability & numbers
4.wedge got hit lots of times so what Fel Probablly got hit a lot of times just not critical hits.
Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

I think its like in Shadows of The Empire or one of those in-between books where it mentions that Luke was the leader originally not Wedge. Wasnt it in TESB where they referred to Luke as Rogue leader or maybe it was Red leader...I dont feel like pulling out the movie and watching it. Second, Interceptor might be faster but point remains that Fel cannot afford to let one shot nick him at all...TIE is scrap at that point. Wedge on the other hand has had his X-wing shot but due to shields he survived.
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

Lord_Vader wrote:Wasnt it in TESB where they referred to Luke as Rogue leader or maybe it was Red leader...I dont feel like pulling out the movie and watching it. .
He was Red leader :twisted:
Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

That maybe but u made me pull out my X-wing Rogue Squadron books and I found the quote I was looking for.

pg. 350 of the Krytos Trap, Wedge is talking...near the top (NOT hardcover edition but paperback)

"Luke Skywalker, it is an honor to present to you Lieutenant Corran Horn, Mirax Terrik, and Qlaern Hirf. This is Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight and FOUNDER OF ROGUE SQUADRON"

obviously in the book those last parts werent all in caps but you get the meaning.
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Corran Horn wrote:Wedge is the best by far. He survives through the Rebellion to the Yuzahn Vong. Wedge is notm a main character like luke or Han who just can't die in the movies. He is Probablly be the best star fighter pilot ever. People like Luke & Anikan/vader all have the force to help them while Wedge has to rely on skill& gut instict.
So Wedge is the best?
Corran Horn wrote:If wedge flew against luke or Anikan he would be more likely to lose because they can use the force to predict his every move(+ their main characters)
So Wedge would get spanked and Luke or ANAKIN/Vader is the best?
Corran Horn wrote: Wedge is the best then Corran Horn
3.Han solo
4.Anikan
5.Others
Corran Horn? Better than Luke or Vader? I think Wedge's exact words "Youre good, but you aint no Luke Skywalker"...
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

Corran Horn? Better than Luke or Vader? I think Wedge's exact words "Youre good, but you aint no Luke Skywalker"...
He isn't no Luke Skywalker.
But During his time with Rouge Squadron he Would have become better than Luke for Luke must use the force to fly so well. But during that time Corran had no idea he could use the force. Not like Anikan where he used the Force unknowingly.He had to fly like Wedge with just Gut instict.

Wedge said that becuase luke Destroyed a Deat Star with a lucky shot.
If you put Luke & Corran against each other. Luke would win Yes :cry:
But mif you block the Force from luke it Would be a close fight but i Corran would win Becuase then Luke would be used to relying on the force while Corran Would be fliing Naturally. Corran Would WIN :twisted: But only just[/quote]
Corran Horn
Youngling

Post by Corran Horn »

He isn't no Luke Skywalker.
But During his time with Rouge Squadron he Would have become better than Luke for Luke must use the force to fly so well. But during that time Corran had no idea he could use the force. Not like Anikan where he used the Force unknowingly.He had to fly like Wedge with just Gut instict.

Wedge said that becuase luke Destroyed a Deat Star with a lucky shot.
If you put Luke & Corran against each other. Luke would win Yes :cry:
But mif you block the Force from luke it Would be a close fight but i Corran would win Becuase then Luke would be used to relying on the force while Corran Would be fliing Naturally. Corran Would WIN :twisted: But only just
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Who says Corran wasnt using the force unknowingly? Besides, even WITH the force Corran would get vaped by wedge and probably Tycho.

And since its my thread, I say corran can never be better than any other pilot in this poll because of smug factor.
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Wedge Antillies no mater what. For a guy who dosent have the force to guide him and he himself thinks of it in many books and many battles he has gotten through many tight situations. For over 20 years he has been helping the New Republic and now the new Vong Resistance force and has gained many victories in impossible odds.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Wedge has an insane number of kills, including half of DS II (I give him half because Lando hit the reactor with concussion missiles). Plus he's still flying at forty, when his reflexes are shot. And who else has formed two elite squadrons?
Yeah, that's why I picked Wedge. I mean, Han Solo's a great pilot, but he's flown a ship with much, much more survivability than Wedge's X-Wing. The Millenium Falcon can stand a few hits from a swarm of TIE Fighters, but the X-Wing can barely even survive one hit! And Wedge is still alive 25 years after ANH, and still flying. I wonder why Obi-Wan wasn't included in this list. He did a really good job evading that missile through that insane debris field.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Pendragon wrote:Who says Corran wasnt using the force unknowingly? Besides, even WITH the force Corran would get vaped by wedge and probably Tycho.

And since its my thread, I say corran can never be better than any other pilot in this poll because of smug factor.
He does almost get vaped by Tycho in I, Jedi, and that's after Jedi training. Plus, in one of the NJO books, I think it was one of the Dark Tides, Corran admits that Wedge and Tycho still vape him regularly in sims, even with the Force.
Secularism—since AD 80
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Corran Horn wrote:
Lord_Vader wrote:Wasnt it in TESB where they referred to Luke as Rogue leader or maybe it was Red leader...I dont feel like pulling out the movie and watching it. .
He was Red leader :twisted:
Eh, no was he was Rogue Leader.
In ESB the Movie they were saying a couple of lines that specificall said "Rogue Group" For instance:
"Rogue 2, I'll cover for you"
"Rougue 3 hold tight"
etc.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Alright "genius" (Corran Horn) Force IS a factor in this poll so therefore Corran Horn...quiet. As for Wedge being better because of his little amount of shields...They don't matter if you don't hit something, so it is a moot point. As for character shields (another "ingenius" idea of Corran Horn) That too is also not a factor in this poll, as Leia has been crippled and Chewie has been killed (both major characters) Fel is better then Wedge because of the fact that he CANNOT have been shot down AT ALL because with Interceptors there is not such thing as a non-critical hit. As for Wedge's DS2 kill....need I mention that a much bigger ship (Falcon) was right behind Wedge and only got tapped once when the area was too small to fit into, with Lando as a pilot :lol: Not to mention the fact that I believe two other X-Wings and an A-Wing went down that tunnel as well and ALL of them(except for the one that was shot down by a TIE) made it back out...And prestege of kills does not make for a better pilot, heck, amount of kills doesn't make for a better pilot.

Han, as I have said before, maneuvered through an asteroid field with the odds of 3,720 to 1, You could say that he has a shielded ship and that's why he survived and the TIE's didn't but beyond the time when Han wasn't in the cockpit do you ever see him hitting an asteroid? NO. Solo maneuvered a 57 meter long ship with an off-center cockpit like it was an A-Wing. My evidense for this is the swan-dive he makes the Falcon take that the TIE's following him had trouble keeping up with. Wedge is a damn good pilot yes, but Solo is a superior pilot.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

AT ALL because with Interceptors there is not such thing as a non-critical hit
Wings, Cockpit, There are lots of Places on a TIE/IN that are none-fatal

Thats pretty dumb Cyran because Generaly ALL TIE/IN from West-End games to the Movies took two or more shots to put down

Its not like the wings are filled with C-4 and the cockpit jamed with gun-powered, Keep in mind SW Turbo-Lasers are very much CONTAINED desctruction

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton