Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by VT-16 »

Don't you think it's a bit conspicious that in a profile on a dreadnaught they're fighting, info about that particular design is linked with the dreadnaught cruisers from POD? That's more than just random noise.

For the record, here's the entire Aurebesh translation, found it on TFN and translated to double-check. It starts out with some general info:
Cat and Mouse republic ship computer readout, upper right wrote:Enemy ship profile

The Dreadnaught is known to be under the command of commander Trench.

The ships weapons are deadly, shealds are very strong.

Separatist Ship

Points of attack have been plotted out and shown on the
Then there's this wall of text on the bottom, apparantly giving some historical info:
Cat and Mouse republic ship computer readout, lower left wrote:In 1,002 BBY, three ships of this type formed part of Lord Kaan's Sith fleet during the First Battle of Ruusan. These three ships were considered a deadly threat to two Hammer-
Cat and Mouse republic ship computer readout, lower middle wrote:The Sith Dreadnaught, sometimes known as a Dreadnaught cruiser or simply a Dreadnaught, was a type of warship used in the navy of the Brotherhood of Darkness during the closing stages of the New
Cat and Mouse republic ship computer readout, lower right wrote:Armed with heavy laser cannons in forward-firing batteries, they were designated as cruisers larger than corsair battleships and starfighters [1]
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Could it simply be that the database system on that particular cruiser had simply gone one day without a Norton check? :lol:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Quite believable. :P
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

One more thing: just how outgunned was the Republic 'flotilla' there? It was three-four Venstars against what looked like at least a dozen ships, including a few Lucrehulks.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The Invincible's terminals showed 12 battleships and 6 dreadnaughts. Probably keeping tally on the heavy assets. Eyeballing the fleet, I could spy at least 22 Munificent frigates in one shot (when the Stealth Ship first cloaks).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I really enjoyed the episode, with it being obviously submarines...IN SPACE! Complete with pinging noises. :D

Senate Murders was also enjoyable. A bit different, I suppose: hardly any Clones or Jedi at all. But it was fun, and we got to hear Mon Mothma speak this time. They did a pretty good job with her VA, I thought, sounding like a legitimately younger version of her ROTJ self.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

VT-16 wrote:If you want a laugh, go check out the new controversy regarding info from Darth Bane: Path of Destruction popping up in Cat and Mouse. If there's anything likely to be a SW killjoy, it's SW fans.
The best part is, if you watch Filoni's commentary, he talks about how he had Anakin mentioning that "ships this small don't usually have cloaking devices" was something to keep the fans happy, and show that they care.

But then people get mad over some easter egg 99.9% of the fandom would never have bothered to translate in the first place. Double hilarious because it was probably meant as a shout-out to said fans, to acknowledge Wookieepedia.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Vympel wrote:Well, I don't know if we've ever seen anything like those shields before, but they were interesting nonetheless.
true I guess.
Not sure what you mean?
A joke. They can inflict varying degrees of damage depending on the kind of sabotage they do and don't rely on brute force to do said damage to the ship. Or technobabble.
Oh, another nice detail, Trench ordering the cannons to cease fire so they can reset to a full charge.
Says alot more about the capacitors than anything. That they can hold a multi-second charge I suppose, all other things being equal. Pretty neat but not surprising given the Death Star or that one separatist starship with the moon-destroying turbolaser :D Good for either an "alpha strike" if the guns can handle it, or just allow them to sustain firing while diverting power away ot other purposes (such as engines.) or if the reactor goes down or the guns lose their link to it.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

RogueIce wrote:But then people get mad over some easter egg 99.9% of the fandom would never have bothered to translate in the first place. Double hilarious because it was probably meant as a shout-out to said fans, to acknowledge Wookieepedia.
I blame wikis and obsession over the term canon.
Bellosh101
Youngling

Post by Bellosh101 »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
RogueIce wrote:But then people get mad over some easter egg 99.9% of the fandom would never have bothered to translate in the first place. Double hilarious because it was probably meant as a shout-out to said fans, to acknowledge Wookieepedia.
So the well-disguised appearence of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter in AOTC isn't canon now? :shock:
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Yeah, it's crazy. It was a shout-out to the fans, and now a bunch of obsessive nerds are working themselves up over something that was actually pretty cool: the creators acknowledging the fandom.
Bellosh101 wrote:So the well-disguised appearence of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter in AOTC isn't canon now? :shock:
Don't forget there's apparently a big statue of a soldier built into the Executor too. If we're going to go with the "easter eggs = canon" theory...

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I like the fact that you can figure out the floor plans of the stealth ship from the concept artwork they put up on starwars.com. I think I'll run an adventure where the company chances upon the wreckage of this ship. Seeing as none of my players watch the toon and neither are they hardcore fanboys, it'll be fun to slowly reveal that the ship has a cloaking device and then tell them this is was actually featured on The Clone Wars.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

If next episode isn't the giant monster rampaging through Coruscant because some tard lets it escape, I'll be honestly surprised.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

So, Hidden Fortress is supposed to be a big inspiration for SW and now we have Seven Samurai in a Galaxy Far Far Away.

That said I thought it was nice. Some nice new bounty hunter designs, including one with a truly epic hat, plus callbacks to previous episodes.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I thought it crossed the line from "homage" to "derivative." Sappy and cliche. I'm not going to say its the worst episode, but its a big step down from, say, the Mandalorian arc, or even a less epic character piece like Lightsaber Lost.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Good characterization, I think, the bounty hunters were interesting, and Obi-Wan's disdain for them was tested. Good show. Terribly cliche'd Seven Samurai plot ripoff of course, but that was made up for with the nikto pirate captain, who is always awesome.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I thought it crossed the line from "homage" to "derivative." Sappy and cliche. I'm not going to say its the worst episode, but its a big step down from, say, the Mandalorian arc, or even a less epic character piece like Lightsaber Lost.
Lightsaber Lost was also a shameless ripoff of a Kurosawa movie. Nora Inu, in this case.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Drooling Iguana wrote: Lightsaber Lost was also a shameless ripoff of a Kurosawa movie. Nora Inu, in this case.
I still preferred it, though I'm not sure weather my finding it less derivative was due more to it being better written or due to my never having seen Nora Inu.

Come to think of it, it probably has a fair bit to do with the Coruscant setting being more interesting to me than The Planet of Backwater Villagers. :)
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

On the subject of taking from old Japanese movies, the next few episodes seem to have strong 1950s 'Gojira' vibes.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

See, I was going with Godzilla, what with the critter being called a Zillo beast.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Knife wrote:See, I was going with Godzilla, what with the critter being called a Zillo beast.
Ugh. *Facepalms*

Somewhere, Majin Gojira's nerd sense is tingling.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I'm not sure if that statement is funnier if you're being serious or if you're just being really deadpan, Knife. :P
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Heh heh. According to the fluff on Wookieepedia the Y-Wing pilots that drops the nuke (Yeah, yeah... electro-proton bomb) are named Goji and Rod, with reptile eyes and skin, and pterodactyl-like motifs on their helmets respectively.
Gideon
Redshirt

Post by Gideon »

The Zillo Beast looks absolutely terrible and completely non-threatening. Palpatine's decision at the end to have the beast relocated to Coruscant is unwise, but understandable (the man's clearly a sadist).

But does anyone else think that there may be some consequences in the public relations field when the Zillo Beast inevitably escapes?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Anguirus wrote:I'm not sure if that statement is funnier if you're being serious or if you're just being really deadpan, Knife. :P
No, I know.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red