Clone Wars season 2

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Re: Clone Wars season 2

Post by Jade Owl »

Thanas wrote:I'm not sure about that, given that we see non-force sensitive Imperial Royal guardsmen like Kir Kanos doing the same thing.
I was under the impression that Kir Kanos was Force-sensitive, just not aware of it. Is it stated either way anywhere?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Jade Owl wrote:
Thanas wrote:I'm not sure about that, given that we see non-force sensitive Imperial Royal guardsmen like Kir Kanos doing the same thing.
I was under the impression that Kir Kanos was Force-sensitive, just not aware of it. Is it stated either way anywhere?
From what I could ascertain Kir Kanos was not a Force-sensitive, merely an overly-competent soldier. Kind of a james bond on roids. Only Carnor Jax and those members of the Royal Guard who were proven to have Force-sensitivity were made Imperial Sovereign Protectors, and thereby trained in rudimentary abilities to wield the Dark Side.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Abacus wrote:From what I could ascertain Kir Kanos was not a Force-sensitive, merely an overly-competent soldier. Kind of a james bond on roids. Only Carnor Jax and those members of the Royal Guard who were proven to have Force-sensitivity were made Imperial Sovereign Protectors, and thereby trained in rudimentary abilities to wield the Dark Side.
Except the notes for Crimson Empire say the intent was that Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax are both from the same prime clone, based on prior canon a Force-Sensitive has a baseline potential that is measured by his midichlorians and at least according to Palpatine in Dark Lord, Force Using abilities can be hindered by psychological problems and this is the major reason why Vader was never able to become as powerful as Sidious knew he could've been and boasted that he would to Yoda.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

General Schatten wrote:
Abacus wrote:From what I could ascertain Kir Kanos was not a Force-sensitive, merely an overly-competent soldier. Kind of a james bond on roids. Only Carnor Jax and those members of the Royal Guard who were proven to have Force-sensitivity were made Imperial Sovereign Protectors, and thereby trained in rudimentary abilities to wield the Dark Side.
Except the notes for Crimson Empire say the intent was that Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax are both from the same prime clone, based on prior canon a Force-Sensitive has a baseline potential that is measured by his midichlorians and at least according to Palpatine in Dark Lord, Force Using abilities can be hindered by psychological problems and this is the major reason why Vader was never able to become as powerful as Sidious knew he could've been and boasted that he would to Yoda.
Which basically gives Kir Kanos' level of Force sensitivity on the level of what I would call gambler's luck. Jax was an actual aspiring Sith lord with a lot of potential. Hence why Jax was made a Sovereign Protector and Kanos was not. And as for either of them being clones; I've never heard of, or read any such thing. Though that may be down to the fact that I've never read, nor do I possess, a copy of Handbook 2: Crimson Empire. It is well known though that Kanos has no known history before his life as a stormtrooper, which could mean that either he was from an obscure planet or that, as you mention, he was indeed a clone.

However I do not believe the clone option to be suitable. If he were cloned, then why not immediately place him within the Royal Guard? Why have him live as a normal stormtrooper? Also his potential for learning and advancement through the ranks seems to have a higher potential for a normal person gaining experience, etc, than a clone who would, by flash-training, already have that.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Abacus wrote:Why have him live as a normal stormtrooper? Also his potential for learning and advancement through the ranks seems to have a higher potential for a normal person gaining experience, etc, than a clone who would, by flash-training, already have that.
According to Pax Empirica fully 40% of the Stormtroopers Corps is made up of GeNode clones; not only are they clones but Imperial genetic research has fucking with their brains so much that they're incapable of realizing they're clones, they're programmed with backgrounds, they're also incapable of betraying the Empire mentally incapable of conceiving of how to betray the Empire.

So it's entirely possible that Kir Kanos and Jax' memories are faked. Here's where Stradley revealed he'd intended for them to be clones and this is Nightsaber, a SWRPG supplement which also has Kanos listed as a Force-User albeit an extremely weak one, sufficiently weak enough that his only abilities would seem to be the kind that would manifest only as your "gambler's luck".
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

There are numerous indications that Kanos was a force sensitive. Scroll down to "beyond the scenes".
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Guess I should have said something last week when the English and Canadian tv stations had the new episode on. I liked Senate Murders, given they provide Spoiler
closure for a character mostly fleshed out in EU references (Senator Onaconda Farr is the first victim and the reason Padme tries to find the killer) and the new characters add to the flavor of the various Senate factions. Halle Burtoni being the name of the Kaminoan senator was funny. The police inspector was interesting as well, especially the fact that he was designed with an asymmetrical face.
This week's early episode was very cool. Cat and Mouse introduces Spoiler
and finishes off a very cool villain. Admiral Trench came across as stereotypically evil in the trailers, but he came across as just being good at his job in the episode, which naturally leads to him being feared by his enemies in the Republic. Would have loved to see him in more episodes, though. Even with that cool, somber death scene. He was also good for giving Yularen more backstory and a reason to have him do more in an episode. All the references to earlier battles between them was good for fleshing out someone who's basically a side-character or glorified extra in the movies.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

The uniform the police guy wears appears to be the same one worn by Anthony Daniels and Ahmad Best in the Outlander Club in AOTC.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Something interesting on the tech side in Cat and Mouse, Trench's command ship has Trek-style bubble shields that are capable of blocking Republic Torpedoes, rather than the often-described particle shields or the ID4-style shield flares seen in ROTS. He calls them "Thermal Shields," whatever the hell those are.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why is Cat and Mouse out when its not on the Episode guide on sw.com and Wikipedia indicates it airs next week? I was afraid to acquire it because I thought it'd be a con.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

no, it's the real episode. I think some Canadian station showed it early or something. It airs on CN next friday.

Edit: Also, Trench's ship has to lower it's shields to launch torpedoes, but the Republic stealth ship doesn't seem to have the same problem. They mention switching between the cloak and the shields, but there's never any mention of them having to lower their shields to fire. I was always under the assumption that SW ship shields were just one-way. It may be that Trench's warship uses a more powerful type of shield like the planetary shields on Hoth. Those did have to be lowered to get the transports out.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darksider wrote:no, it's the real episode. I think some Canadian station showed it early or something. It airs on CN next friday.

Edit: Also, Trench's ship has to lower it's shields to launch torpedoes, but the Republic stealth ship doesn't seem to have the same problem. They mention switching between the cloak and the shields, but there's never any mention of them having to lower their shields to fire. I was always under the assumption that SW ship shields were just one-way. It may be that Trench's warship uses a more powerful type of shield like the planetary shields on Hoth. Those did have to be lowered to get the transports out.
Interesting thought, and it may be that they just are using a different type of shields, I mean, that it's bubble instead of conformal is another big clue. Probably a sort that isn't generally used on warships.
Bellosh101
Youngling

Post by Bellosh101 »

For those who watched the Senate Murders episode, did anyone find it peculiar when Padme argued that continued war spending would bankrupt the Galactic Republic despite the OT showing the Empire successfully maintaining a massive military for over two decades with minimal problems? Is there a reason to explain why the Republic could be bankrupted while the Empire couldn't, or was Padme simply talking out of her ass (which is a highly likely possibility considering her devotion to diplomacy)?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Bellosh101 wrote:For those who watched the Senate Murders episode, did anyone find it peculiar when Padme argued that continued war spending would bankrupt the Galactic Republic despite the OT showing the Empire successfully maintaining a massive military for over two decades with minimal problems? Is there a reason to explain why the Republic could be bankrupted while the Empire couldn't, or was Padme simply talking out of her ass (which is a highly likely possibility considering her devotion to diplomacy)?
Most likely she was simply spewing rhetoric, in a similar way to when people would argue that nuclear reactors would be the end of us all and so on.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I suppose the Empire taxes more than the Republic. Or the Seperatists apparently being financial heavyweights could be a factor. Plus, we have no idea what else the Republic spends its money on, as compared to whatever nonmilitary budget the Empire had. Plus the differences in government structures (no Senate, et al) could also play a role. And, of course, it could be hyperbole for the sake of rhetoric, as wel.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I doubt it helped that one of the Republic's opponents was the Banking Clan
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Found this on TFN. Apparantly, one of the shots with Aurebesh text in Cat and Mouse contains blocks of text ripped directly from a Wookieepedia article:
Cat and Mouse republic ship computer readout wrote:In 1,002 BBY, three ships of this type formed part of Lord Kaan's Sith fleet during the First Battle of Ruusan. These three ships were considered a deadly threat to two Hammer-

The Sith Dreadnaught, sometimes known as a Dreadnaught cruiser or simply a Dreadnaught, was a type of warship used in the navy of the Brotherhood of Darkness during the closing stages of the New

Armed with heavy laser cannons in forward-firing batteries, they were designated as cruiser larger than corsair battleships and starfighters [1]
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

sigh. I KEEP missing the season on tv.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I liked Cat and Mouse a lot. The technical details were fun:-

* Anakin ordering for all reactors to be "overfired" to attack Admiral Trench's Providence-class ship;
* "Thermal shields" probably fell out of favor due to their being of short duration, not to mention interfering with torpedo/ missile fire;
* The Republic stealth ship was a nice, inspired original design.
* I wasn't too keen on the torpedoes fired by both the Republic stealth ship and Admiral Trench's ship seemingly being related to the 'buzz droid' class missiles of RotS. That said, they were clearly really powerful - four torpedoes practically cracked the entire dorsal side of Trench's ship wide open.

The historical details were fun too - Admiral Yularen was a member of the Republic military/ navy before the Clone Wars, and had fought Trench before, and it was a Jedi force that decided the outcome. This is clearly before the Clone Wars.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Vympel wrote:I liked Cat and Mouse a lot. The technical details were fun:-

* Anakin ordering for all reactors to be "overfired" to attack Admiral Trench's Providence-class ship;
A note: That could mean "exceed maximum reactor capacity" or "exceed safe operating margins for the reactor" - I'm not convinced that maximum reactor outputs neccesariyl represent the standard "safe' levels' rather than maximum capacity.
* "Thermal shields" probably fell out of favor due to their being of short duration, not to mention interfering with torpedo/ missile fire;
Or its just a silly name for a known defense or variant of a defense, much like "anticoncussion" shields, or "seismic" charges, etc.
* I wasn't too keen on the torpedoes fired by both the Republic stealth ship and Admiral Trench's ship seemingly being related to the 'buzz droid' class missiles of RotS. That said, they were clearly really powerful - four torpedoes practically cracked the entire dorsal side of Trench's ship wide open.
Variation on a "variable firepower" setting for torpedoes. lol
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Having seen the latest episode, I'm glad to see that they're starting to make space engagements look reasonably large.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

If you want a laugh, go check out the new controversy regarding info from Darth Bane: Path of Destruction popping up in Cat and Mouse. If there's anything likely to be a SW killjoy, it's SW fans.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

A note: That could mean "exceed maximum reactor capacity" or "exceed safe operating margins for the reactor" - I'm not convinced that maximum reactor outputs neccesariyl represent the standard "safe' levels' rather than maximum capacity.
Yeah, I don't know what it means, I just liked them talking about the reactors charge being relevant to combat.
Or its just a silly name for a known defense or variant of a defense, much like "anticoncussion" shields, or "seismic" charges, etc.
Well, I don't know if we've ever seen anything like those shields before, but they were interesting nonetheless.
Variation on a "variable firepower" setting for torpedoes. lol
Not sure what you mean?

Oh, another nice detail, Trench ordering the cannons to cease fire so they can reset to a full charge.

VT-16, are you sure you mean Cat and Mouse, and not Bounty Hunters? I haven't seen Bounty Hunters, but I can't see where in Cat and Mouse anything like that could've been referenced.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

At one minute 53 secs into the episode, a computer display shows the Republic fleet and a profile for the enemy ship. It's Trench's dreadnaught, and in the bottom Aurebesh panels, the animators literally ripped info word from word from a Wookiee article on the Sith Dreadnaught cruiser from DB:POD. Of course, SW fans love to bitch about things no matter what, so people say this can't be used to say that dreadnaught is a Sith design, nor that this makes Kaan, the First Battle of Ruusan, Hammerhead-class cruisers, Corsair battleships nor the Brotherhood of Darkness T-canon. Even though that is why T-canon was invented in the first place, so elements in the show would stand apart.

Apparantly, because the animators didn't change the date 1,002 BBY, this invalidates the text because they need Leland Chee to hold their hand and tell them it's alright. :roll:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I ... don't get it. To me, its obviously just an in-joke. If you read the episode guides they constantly have nonsensical / funny things in Aurebesh on the screens. Is the controversy because they're saying they do take it seriously, or because they don't?