Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by Count Chocula »

Ohh, yes-a. Don't forget your muy-muy popcorn!
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

here's a scary thought.....

what if it's actually funny?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I just saw the episode with a group of rookie clones on some remote outpost. And despite the mild clone wanking, I was amused to hear the clones repeatedly bitch about how their were no Jedi there. The clones certainly showed no resentment of the Jedi, but rather appreciated the value of having them along. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not another subtle break from the Travis view of the Clone Wars? This show is winning me over, if only for weakening Travis's position.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Latest episode:

1. What used to be composite VFX on film is now part and parcel of this series' virtual environment, allowing blaster flashes and lightsaber glows to illuminate their surroundings. Also, blaster hits on the crates caused them to move back bit by bit. Nothing really important, but I'm glad that the animation directors are putting these kind of thoughts into the production.

2. As a 6 year old after watching the first movie in the late 70s, I filled in the blanks of what Artoo is like and what his capabilities are when I was playing or drawing about Star Wars. It's as if someone picked out Artoo's extra awesomeness from my mind and put it onscreen in this episode (and some scenes last episode).

Despite the dread watching next week's promo, there's this niggling thought that maybe, just maybe, the writers are able to make HIM a wee bit likable. Maybe. Fingers crossed.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Yeah, that kill came out of nowhere! :shock: Thought for sure the Republic characters would get a shot at it.

R2 vs R3 was the cutest thing to come out of SW. Ever. I laughed at their initial head-on confrontation, with the relatively slow rolling towards each other and the zapping attack. :mrgreen:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darksider wrote:Did anyone else not expect grevious to actually kill that smuggler-guy?
I'm sort of expecting that either he or Dooku will kill Asoka.

And, though I rather like her, I would far rather she escaped more narrowly here. Or preferably had to be rescued while being marched off by some battle droids. She's what, twelve, and she can take on General Grievous and live? :wtf:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

And the director said Grievous was mostly toying with her.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I just saw the episode with a group of rookie clones on some remote outpost. And despite the mild clone wanking, I was amused to hear the clones repeatedly bitch about how their were no Jedi there. The clones certainly showed no resentment of the Jedi, but rather appreciated the value of having them along. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not another subtle break from the Travis view of the Clone Wars? This show is winning me over, if only for weakening Travis's position.
I noticed this as well. However, I thought of it more as appreciating the Jedi as they would appreciate an effective cannon or a strong shield. It is still a break with Travis IIRC, as when she writes them, the clones think the Jedi are mostly useless.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

NecronLord wrote:She's what, twelve, and she can take on General Grievous and live? :wtf:
Size matters not... :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It does to Dave Filoni, since he said she's small enough to duck and hide easier than an adult. :P
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

VT-16 wrote:14.
And the director said Grievous was mostly toying with her.
Yeah, that much was obvious. But she still managed to take his hand off, or am I mis-remembering?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote:
Darksider wrote:Did anyone else not expect grevious to actually kill that smuggler-guy?
I'm sort of expecting that either he or Dooku will kill Asoka.

And, though I rather like her, I would far rather she escaped more narrowly here. Or preferably had to be rescued while being marched off by some battle droids. She's what, twelve, and she can take on General Grievous and live? :wtf:
Personally, I'd prefer Ventris. Her character is always underused compared to Grievous, and having her kill Asoka would make future conflicts between her and Anakin much more personal. I'm thinking that sequence in the original Clone Wars cartoon where Anakin goes berserk on her.

However, I personally have doubts Asoka will even die. While Lucas, unlike say, Speilberg, has shown a willingness to kill children in his films (Episode 3), the fact that this show is clearly intended to be an all ages or kids product makes me wonder. Maybe they'll contrive some way for her to escape Order 66, with everyone believing she's dead or something.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Maybe they'll contrive some way for her to escape Order 66, with everyone believing she's dead or something.
apparently order66 didn't actually kill anyone popular, so this is likely.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It would be funny is Anakin manages to cope with not being attached to her, like Yoda mentioned in the film, if he kills her as Vader at the end of the series. Thus providing some dramatic irony.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

VT-16 wrote:It would be funny is Anakin manages to cope with not being attached to her, like Yoda mentioned in the film, if he kills her as Vader at the end of the series. Thus providing some dramatic irony.
To dark for a kid's show. Plus, I suspect it will end before Episode 3 begins. Else how do they explain Asoka's absence from the film? Her existence creates certain continuity issues after all. :wink:

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Is it me or does the music from the beginning of Episode 6 sound like Vampire Hunters from Bram Stoker's Dracula?
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

NecronLord wrote: Yeah, that much was obvious. But she still managed to take his hand off, or am I mis-remembering?
Grievous in some ways is as stupidly arrogant as the Jedi. Thus, he's not immune from making mistakes.

Its not like losing a hand is going to greatly inconveninence him though, either.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Darksider wrote: If a Venator can sustain multiple hits from 60-petaton prow turbolasers on the Munificents, and indeed sustain 230 petatons worth of firepower before they "have trouble" then shouldn't triple digit gigaton and single digit teraton level weapons bounce off their shields like a summer rain?
My apologies, Darksider. When I posted that message, I was thoroughly buzzed on cold medication. I can't even remember why I took any issue with your post :?:

My guess is that I don't have a serious problem with the Munny prow TL's "ice moon-melting" shots knocking out or, at least, seriously threatening a Venstar's shields; rather, I might've objected because I thought it didn't seem likely that a 5 petaton blast would do the job.

The reason I say that's because Venstars have a power output on the order of 3.6E24W. A petaton is ~4E24J; thus, a 5 petaton shot, or 2E25J, delivered in a split second would hit a Venstar's shields with at least 2E26W -- nearly 100 times the ship's entire power output and, seemingly, more than enough to get through her shields as well.

:? Hell, man, I dunno. I'm starting to think I was wrong! If Venstars, like Padme's royal yacht, have a shield strength some 2 times or more in excess of the ship's power output (not unlikely), that's grand but it's still insufficient to prevent local shield failure v. one of those nasty Munny prow TL shots -- especially given that, as I said before, it seems like it'd take well upwards of 50 petatons to "blast-melt" a 1,000 km-wide ice body.
a single shot from a fully-charged prow turbolaser is roughly equal to 6000 shots from one of the heavy turbolasers on the venators and ISDs (and that's rounding up) do we know how many shots it takes for those guns to take a Venator apart?
Another good question.

With ISDs, at least, "ROTJ" indicates they and roughly-comparably armed Rebel capships can duke it out for minutes on end without doing serious damage.

Again I can only guess that was the original source of my skepticism regarding Munny's effectiveness against Venstars. Well, that and how Vennys held up against Munnys 4:1 in the CW movie (or, again, so I'm told; I've not seen it yet).

What I can say is that, since we figure Munificents' mega-guns can't sustain more than a few overpowered shots, they may well be guaranteed a few shield-killing -- and, consequently, hull-rending -- blows; however, as previously noted, since Venstars can face-off against 4 Munnies, it's also likely that the Munificient is not built for a sustained battle. I.e., their best bet is to group up on a Republic warship and cripple it from the get-go. When they lack the numbers to do that, and the Republic ship gets some shields back online, the CIS ships' only chance is to focus all shield power toward the quarter facing the enemy. (Witness how lowly AT-TEs and canonically gigajoule-ranged weapons tore the shit out of Grevious's unprotected flank. That one still puzzles me.)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Elfdart wrote:Is it me or does the music from the beginning of Episode 6 sound like Vampire Hunters from Bram Stoker's Dracula?
I know when Grevious's fleet enters the asteroid field in ep. 6, the Gary Oldman Drac movie's music was definitely in play :)

I'd noticed that, too. I thought it was perfect for the scene if a surprise for a SW show :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I was a little disappointed that Anakin didn't hop into one of those Magna Droid's fighters in the background and blast away at the Vulture droids and the others pouring into the hangar. :)
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

The droid fight really was cute and awesome at the same time :D I liked how they smashed into each other and then used their gadgets without straining SoD too much.
TheSpaceman?
Youngling

Post by TheSpaceman? »

So are people liking the series so far? I've read about it on Wookiepedia and I've seen one episode, but I'm wondering how you guys feel about it.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I think it's been a fun diversion, but not something you should go into expecting SUPAR-DRAMA! It's had a couple of interesting episodes focusing on clones, which are in my opinion slightly cooler than the all Jedi-ness of the movies and most episodes, although the plot-forwarding ones have had their good points as well.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

I've been thoroughly enjoying the series. I go in there expecting a half hour adventure in the Star Wars universe. I'm just in the mindset that Anakin and Grevious never actually meet until the bridge encounter in RotS.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Definitely enjoying the series, the only parts of it I take any issue with I can deal with rather easily seeing as how this show is geared towards a younger audience. Ahsoka could be written less Mary Sue-ish and I wouldn't object however.

I will be skipping the next coming episode entirely, and will not watch it unless a miracle happens and I hear good reviews.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.