Star Wars Forum RPG

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Star Wars Forum RPG

Post by Talon Karrde »

I've always thrown around the idea of creating a message board RPG for Star Wars. I've never really went full blown into the idea, I had only started the very beginning groundwork.

So, would there be enough interest in creating a Star Wars message board RPG and would I be allowed to do it here for everyone?? I would be more than willing to create and manage one, although it would probably take me some time to construct. Of course it ultimately lies in the hands of the adminstrators and moderators :D Hope you like the idea
Boycott France
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

Also, if you have any suggestions they would be received warmly. I would love to try and encorporate as much of the Star Wars world as possible, and your suggestions would be great!
Boycott France
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I will start to make up a plan for the RPG and keep everyone updated in this thread.
Boycott France
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

If anyone is intersted could they please post their names and desired position here in this thread? I plan on creating the Rebellion, Empire, and neutral factions dealing with smuggling. Plesae list your names here.
Boycott France
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

I have played in many RPG before, and few SW ones too. I have no idea which character i want to play, but since i am a soft guy i always play the good guys.
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

Dark Primus wrote:I have played in many RPG before, and few SW ones too. I have no idea which character i want to play, but since i am a soft guy i always play the good guys.
Same with myself :D So therefore do you want to play with the Rebellion?
Boycott France
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

Also Primus, you will play with a self-described character. Not a Luke Skywalker or canon character, you will make one yourself when the time comes.
Boycott France
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Talon Karrde wrote:
Dark Primus wrote:I have played in many RPG before, and few SW ones too. I have no idea which character i want to play, but since i am a soft guy i always play the good guys.
Yes and kick the Empires ass.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Talon Karrde wrote:
Yes and kick the Empires ass. :lol:
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Talon Karrde wrote:Also Primus, you will play with a self-described character. Not a Luke Skywalker or canon character, you will make one yourself when the time comes.
I would like to become a warrior, same skills like Jango Fett capable to fight a Jedi as long he dosn't have his lightsaber. :lol:

Something like a small human version of Optimus Prime or something. :lol:
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Star Wars Forum RPG

Post by Eleas »

(Karrde)
"I've always thrown around the idea of creating a message board RPG for Star Wars. I've never really went full blown into the idea, I had only started the very beginning groundwork.

So, would there be enough interest in creating a Star Wars message board RPG and would I be allowed to do it here for everyone?? I would be more than willing to create and manage one, although it would probably take me some time to construct. Of course it ultimately lies in the hands of the adminstrators and moderators :D Hope you like the idea"

What kind of RPG would this be? Would it use any of the commercial SWRPG systems around? What degree of ROLE playing would be expected, as opposed to shooting and killing? Etc.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I would recommend a text-only RPG - i.e. no dice or nonsense like that. That sort of thing is fine for table-top RPing, but not for Internet-based stuff.

Institute some ground rules, of course, so that not everyone can show up and immediatly take control of a massive war fleet. Also, allow both 'non political' and 'political' rping - the first being just interactive storylines with no major effect on the universe, the second being stuff with wide, far-reaching consequences, such as an invasion of such-and-such sector.

Personally, I would it set it as an alternative timeline. NJO never happened, Empire is in a resurgency, fledging Jedi, etc.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"I would recommend a text-only RPG - i.e. no dice or nonsense like that. That sort of thing is fine for table-top RPing, but not for Internet-based stuff.

Institute some ground rules, of course, so that not everyone can show up and immediatly take control of a massive war fleet. Also, allow both 'non political' and 'political' rping - the first being just interactive storylines with no major effect on the universe, the second being stuff with wide, far-reaching consequences, such as an invasion of such-and-such sector."

This sounds like a round-robin. Where does the "role" part come in? Do we even have a GM?

"Personally, I would it set it as an alternative timeline. NJO never happened, Empire is in a resurgency, fledging Jedi, etc."

Interesting. In that case, someone will have to define the circumstances for all of us, in detail.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Bah. You should make a ST vs SW RPG which would be more in-line with the true general intent of the forums.
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the alternative timeline and story idea, but I might need a little help with it. As for the roleplaying, I will not include many dice. There may be an alternative form of it, but roleplaying will mostly be text based. The rolling would be something different probably controlled by me or another RPGMaster.

I think it's a neat idea of ST vs. SW but I lack the knowledge of Star Trek material.

As for the level of role-playing thats yet to be decided. Most likely I will have certain non-player controlled characters to interact with and many objectives will come from this. This may take me a long while to construct and I will continue to update you as I continue to figure out what comes next. When I hit a point where RPGing can begin, I will notify everybody. I can assure when the game begins there will still be much for me to build on.

Also, this may have to be limited to a few fields of the Star Wars universe for the simple reason that not many people frequent this board. However, if someone would like to become the "official recruiter" and could find many more people to join, that would open up the realm of possibilities.
Boycott France
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

RPGin

Post by PeZook »

Well, I don't like forum or play-by-mail rpgs, but I can always lead some games on IRC if anyone wants to :)
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Doomriser wrote:Bah. You should make a ST vs SW RPG which would be more in-line with the true general intent of the forums.
It would require a huge Fed fleet to beat one single ISD, unless the Federation gets something that can compete with heavy turbolasers.
The Batmobile armor, the transphasic torpedos and transwarp tech will be crucial in this debate. But it would most likely turn into another VS debate when someone does not agree with the other.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Think it would be best...

Post by HemlockGrey »

...if it were forum-based. I personally like sites that allow conflicts to be resolved without 'rolling' of any sort, and where the mods create new stuff that can happen, but don't lead the players along a preset path.

If you'll excuse the plug, I was talking about something like this: http://locke.malena.myip.org/malena/phpbb/

Of course, it's all up to you.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I'll be sure to consider all of this. I like the idea of no dice, and I'll research a way that this would be most effective.

As for the ST vs. SW RPG, Primus is right. The shielding on Federation or any ST ship for that matter couldn't take turbolasers.
Boycott France
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I propose a system where we enter our character to the GM. We could rate our character's skills by the FUDGE scale, like so:

Jedi Master Quor Thavos
Skills:
Lightsaber fighting - Great (+2)
Force power - Fair (+0)
Force skill - Good (+1)
Fitness - Mediocre (-1)
Diplomacy - Superb (+3)
Description:
Master Thavos is an old, but still active Jedi. He is still quite proficient in the Jedi fighting arts, but prefers to settle incipent quarrels with a kind word. Thavos is renowned among the Jedi for his ability to find the common ground in an argument and for his measured, insightful way of looking at things.

What do you guys think?
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I like your idea except for one thing. You autmatically assumed your character was a Jedi Master. Of course the beginning members of the RPG will probably be Jedi Masters if they so choose, but as time goes on, when more join the RPG in hopes of becoming a Jedi Master, they will have to start from the beginning. They will have to be trained instead of just assuming the title. Otherwise your suggestion is a good one, in fact I will probably use it somehow when creating your characters.
Boycott France
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I would like offer any person the oppurtunity to be a part of the creation of the RPG. These positions I need filled as soon as possible

RPG Assistant Master: This position would be basically the vice-president of the RPG and would only have to answer to myself. This position needs to be filled by someone who has a legitimate knowledge of the Star Wars universe and would devote some time to the RPG.

Master Recruiter: This positions requirements are simple, that you will devote some of your time to recruiting new members to the RPG. Although the recruiting shouldn't start for some time, I would like to get the position filled as soon as possible.

If yor interested in any of these positions please post so here. Also if you'd like to help with other things not listed please feel free to post them as well.
Boycott France
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"I like your idea except for one thing. You autmatically assumed your character was a Jedi Master."

You misunderstand. I just wanted a clear example. We naturally need a reference point, too. For example, This Jedi is a "Great" swordsman when compared to normal people. Yoda would perhaps be Legendary(+1), or even Legendary (+2).

The scale is as follows, btw.
Terrible (-3)
Poor (-2)
Mediocre (-1)
Fair (0)
Good (+1)
Great (+2)
Superb (+3)
Legendary (+4)
Legendary+1 (+5)
etc.

"Of course the beginning members of the RPG will probably be Jedi Masters if they so choose, but as time goes on, when more join the RPG in hopes of becoming a Jedi Master, they will have to start from the beginning."

Naturally. I probably wouldn't want to play one of those characters anyway. Why need to be an invincible superman when you can play a character with actual human foibles? Sadly, this is the problem with what you now call "RPG". Most of the people participating will probably not want to role play. They want to win the game or powergame.

"They will have to be trained instead of just assuming the title. Otherwise your suggestion is a good one, in fact I will probably use it somehow when creating your characters."

Thanks.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I heartily agree with you. Thats the problem with many RPG's and will most certainly be the problem with ours I'm sure... I will try my best to limit this as much as possible.
Boycott France
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"I heartily agree with you. Thats the problem with many RPG's and will most certainly be the problem with ours I'm sure... I will try my best to limit this as much as possible."

I have a solution to that. Accept a certain number of skills up to a given level. That's what any player can have. Beyond that, they'll need special permission from you. Thus, you can reward good players that role play and proceed in a mature fashion. Also, you can allow the raising of certain skills if a character trains at them ingame.

Hence, if someone acts like an asshole and ruins the game for the others, then fine - he won't ever get better at any skill. Whereas a smuggler who's risked his neck for freedom finally gets that long-awaited Great piloting skill. :)
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe