Darth Who Vote

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

I want MY name as one of the candidates. Come on, "Darth Servo" has a really nice ring to it, don't ya think? :mrgreen:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Is Darth Dickhead already taken? I'm so over the Jedi going to the Darkside so he can be redeemed. It was good once with Vader, sucked with Kyp, and
now going to suck even harder with Jacen especially with Traviss writing it. Jaina going to be an only child pretty quick.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I've thought of Darth Solidus for a not-yet-written fan fic where Luke runs away from home and joins the Imperal Academy under the assumed name of "Solid Snake" before the events of 'A New Hope', and Darth Thermonucleus for a story where George W. Bush is a Sith Lord. As for Jacen himself, I'm spent.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Darth Evil

Darth Villainous

Darth Bad Guy

Ughh...I hate the EU.
Sig by JME2
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Jack Bauer wrote:Darth Evil

Darth Villainous

Darth Bad Guy

Ughh...I hate the EU.
It ain't all bad:

Darth Revan (rolls off the tongue)

Darth Malak (harder edge to it, makes you want to sneer as you say it)

Darth Sion (very sharp edge to it - and the guy is scarred, the name fits perfectly)

Darth Nihilius (similar sound to nihilistic, which again, fits him like a glove)

Darth Traya (this one is probably the weakest in the games)
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I voted for Darth Taral, seemed the lesser of some shitty options.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Stofsk wrote:
Jack Bauer wrote:Darth Evil

Darth Villainous

Darth Bad Guy

Ughh...I hate the EU.
It ain't all bad:

Darth Revan (rolls off the tongue)

Darth Malak (harder edge to it, makes you want to sneer as you say it)

Darth Sion (very sharp edge to it - and the guy is scarred, the name fits perfectly)

Darth Nihilius (similar sound to nihilistic, which again, fits him like a glove)

Darth Traya (this one is probably the weakest in the games)
Problem is...the EU isn't the only guilty one. Darth Plagueis anyone? *gag*
Sig by JME2
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Or Darth Insidious.

D'oh, I meant Darth Sidious. There's a huge difference. :D
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

What about Darth Shadow... I mean Sadow? Or Andeddu-Undead, Tyrannus-Tyrant, Millenial-Millenium (From 1000 BBY), Maul-Maul Apparent, Plagueis-Plague, Vectivus-Invective, Krayt-Krayt Dragon, Maladi-Malady or M'lady (The Female Emo Sith), Maleval (All I know about him was that his annoying Krayt was excused away by literally calling him a 'noob'), Nihl-Nilus or Nihilist, Ruyn and Ruin (Two different characters)-Ruin, Stryfe-Strife, Wyyrlok III-Warlock, Talon-Talon (She's Krayt's personally enforcer), and Bandon-Abandon. Also possibly Desolus-Desolate, Karnage-Carnage, Krul-Cruel, and Tenebrous from Chee's Blog.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The KOTOR "Darth" names were the best.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

because they weren't random shit words made into darth, they were actual NAMES. They didn't need to hide their identities like the weakass trilogy era Sith- It's like Revan woke up one day and thought damn it, I'm DARTH Revan now!
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Darth Malak, Revan, and Nihilus sound cool. Darth Bandon sounds pussy. Whenever I hear that name I think of some little boy named Brandon.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Stofsk wrote:The KOTOR "Darth" names were the best.
You mean Darth Revan-Revenant, Malak-Malice, Traya-Betrayal, Sion-Scion or possibly the suffix -sion, meaning to break, and Nihilus-Nihil.

Oh and I forgot Ajunta Pall-Junta (Military Government) and Pall (Burial Shroud), amd Ragnos-Ragna (Old Name For Norse Gods).
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Why, exactly, is it bad that most Darth names are (often vaguely) similar to english words? I mean, its not like they're actual birth names (except in Revan's case); the second part of the title is as much of an honorific as the first. Its unsurprising that Sith might choose menacing or militaristic names for themselves and their apprentices, considering their methods and objectives. Certainly, names that are obviously just authorial attempts to make the character sound cool (like Darth Blade or something) or are blatantly uncreative (Darth Evil, etc.) should be frowned upon, and there are definately some in the canon, but I don't see why "Malak" or "Nihilus" and the like should be decried simply because they aren't entirely new constructs.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Sephirius is arguing they're good because they aren't Pseudonyms, I'm arguing that it can't have anything to do with that since the KotOR names are pseudonyms as well.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I agree - all the Darth names that don't suck (and all the canon ones I can think of) are distortions of english words. I don't see how that its bad: conjuring images of malice, betrayal, brutality, insidious disease and infection are GOOD for characters. :)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

General Schatten wrote:Sephirius is arguing they're good because they aren't Pseudonyms, I'm arguing that it can't have anything to do with that since the KotOR names are pseudonyms as well.
If you were arguing with Sephirius, why did you quote me?

Further, though Revan (Revanant) and Malak (Malice) and Bandon (Abandon) etc can be established as english words that have been altered in some way, you can say the same about the movie Darth titles (Vader = Invader, geddit).

The post-NJO Darth names absolutely suck though. (Darth Krayt = I'm a giant lizard)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Stofsk wrote:If you were arguing with Sephirius, why did you quote me?
Didn't notice that
Further, though Revan (Revanant) and Malak (Malice) and Bandon (Abandon) etc can be established as english words that have been altered in some way, you can say the same about the movie Darth titles (Vader = Invader, geddit).
Did I ever say they weren't?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

General Schatten wrote:
Stofsk wrote:If you were arguing with Sephirius, why did you quote me?
Didn't notice that
General Schatten wrote:
You mean Darth Revan-Revenant, Malak-Malice, Traya-Betrayal, Sion-Scion or possibly the suffix -sion, meaning to break, and Nihilus-Nihil.

Oh and I forgot Ajunta Pall-Junta (Military Government) and Pall (Burial Shroud), amd Ragnos-Ragna (Old Name For Norse Gods).
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

I meant to get this:
Sephirius wrote:because they weren't random shit words made into darth, they were actual NAMES.
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

General Schatten wrote:Sephirius is arguing they're good because they aren't Pseudonyms, I'm arguing that it can't have anything to do with that since the KotOR names are pseudonyms as well.
Revan and Malak were the actual names of the Sith Lords in question (note that nobody ever refers to them as anything else, even when talking about them before they turned to the Dark Side - if they were pseudonyms, that would be like saying "at the age of nine, Darth Vader won a podrace on Tatooine and thereby escaped from slavery..."). Bandon may or may not have been a pseudonym - given that he's never mentioned escept as Malak's apprentice, there's no way to be sure. It's the K2 Sith names that were all pseudonyms - Darth Traya definitely so, and Sion and Nihilus almost certainly so simply due to unlikelihood of anyone giving their children such names.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Stark wrote:I agree - all the Darth names that don't suck (and all the canon ones I can think of) are distortions of english words. I don't see how that its bad: conjuring images of malice, betrayal, brutality, insidious disease and infection are GOOD for characters. :)
Yes, I agree. It seems that when authors really try to get exotic with the Sith Lord's names that the names begin to leave a slight aftertaste of bad. Case in point, Darth Bane is much more effective than Darth Acheron IMO.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

General Schatten wrote:

Say what? Ragna is not a name for any Norse Gods of any kind, but rather a part of Ragnerok/Ragnarok = Armageddon.
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Ignoring the choices used in the Darth Who contest, if I had to give Jacen a title I'd have gone with Darth... Mirage. (Weak, I know. x.x )
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Aquatain wrote:
General Schatten wrote:

Say what? Ragna is not a name for any Norse Gods of any kind, but rather a part of Ragnerok/Ragnarok = Armageddon.
Doesn't Ragnarok mean literally "death of the gods"?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia