Talifan 2007

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Darth Servo wrote:Hey Wayne, I know your #1 project at the moment is Last Bastion and I'm not suggesting diverting attention away from that but is the KT database going to be expanded anytime soon? Its kind of barren with JUST the idiot's mockery of physics.
HAH! This time I anticipated you! I updated it today. No new info, but made it a bit more "friendly", so people who have a problem with expletives (but not name-calling like "Talifan" and "Marching Morons") will feel better when posting it. It even has a new title:

ATTACK OF THE 3 MILLION CLONES

It's actually a very good summation of the whole debacle, now that I've re-read it.

Also...

Isn't it funny that Traviss hasn't been active on sw.com for quite a while, but she suddenly blasts out of the Batcave to comment on this blog?

In a related story...
Date Posted: Jan 10, 2007 10:15 PM
This message was edited by Wari on Jan 10, 2007 10:23 PM

Stop sending your little Voxyn pet and deal with us yourself you know who you are. I know your watching. Sad thing is we never stopped loving you.....you stopped loving us.
This was in the middle of a back and forth with James Gilmer. Gee, I wonder who "Wari" is referring to?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Its too bad that the blog that started this thread has been deleted. KT weighed in in the comments section insisting that the number of 3 million clones was fed to her by LFL. That 3 mil is what they wanted (so we shouldn't blame her :roll: )
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Even if something was "handed down" by LFL (which seems to be a lie, considering Kaufman's pre-3,000,000 idiocy comment), that doesn't make it correct.

I bet 8/12 km Executor was too.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The number itself is only the beginning of the problems with Traviss's work. I've said it before. Other writers have had minimalistic and self-contradicting numbers before. The same guy who gave the Empire tens of millions of inhabited worlds in The Imperial Sourcebook also set the number of troops in a Sector Army to 774,576. If Traviss had simply used the 3 million number, she would have probably been quickly forgotten amongst all the other minimalistic authors in SW.

But the difference is the way Traviss handled her tiny numbers, compared to everyone else. Even if the ISB writer (can any of you even name him without looking at the book?) put in tiny troop numbers, he didn't treat the Empire like it was ridiculously empty and undermilitarized. His Empire is the same Empire that we saw in the movies. The small number doesn't work with the way everything else is described in the book. It's no more than an honest mistake, and can be thought of as little more than a typo (as if he forgot a few zeroes).

Even before the "Talifan" backlash against her, when she and Kaufman first wrote their Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic, the clones were being wanked up. Sure, they made an impressive showing against the droids in AOTC, and all the fanboys would have automatically assumed that they were elite because they were duplicates of Fett himself. But if before, an official source wrote that the clones could defeat say, 5 times their number in battledroids, I doubt any of the fanboys would have said that was too little. But no, we got a ridiculous 200:1 kill ratio, along with idiotic ideas about special forces operations disabling the bulk of the quadrillions-strong droid army. What Traviss did was EMBRACE the stupid number, and actually try to explain it in universe with faulty logic and wank.

Then Traviss wrote the mind-bogglingly stupid Odds, a story which seemed to be little more than a "fuck you" to her detractors, which decreased the number of droids as well and basically turned the SW universe inside-out.

So even IF she was given the "3 million" number, that's not an excuse for the shitty crap that Traviss has polluted the continuity with.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

On a similair vein, does anyone remember the name of that video on YouTube about this, the one where Padme says she isn't afraid and Yoda say, 'You Will Be. You Will Be.'
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

You mean this?
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

http://www.geocities.com/enderandloki/SSTmain.html

ask and you shall recieve. I still need to update it with some devestating info from the NEGWT and the statement of there being multiple grand armies from the ROTSICS. Unfortunately work and the theft of my computer (with all its files and references) has precluded that for the past couple of months.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Wait, if 200,000 Units is 3,000,000 bodies, then shouldn't the million more give us 18,000,000 total? Or am I not understanding her?
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

General Schatten wrote:Wait, if 200,000 Units is 3,000,000 bodies, then shouldn't the million more give us 18,000,000 total? Or am I not understanding her?
There is no understanding what goes on in the mind of a nutcase like Traviss.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

General Schatten wrote:Wait, if 200,000 Units is 3,000,000 bodies, then shouldn't the million more give us 18,000,000 total? Or am I not understanding her?
In T-canon, "unit" = individual clone. The original generation of clonetroopers was 1.2 million ("200,000 units are ready, with a million more well on the way."), with the army eventually growing to a whopping 3 million over the course of the war. And no, all those clone fetuses that take 10 years to grow that you saw in AOTC aren't accounted for. :roll:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Bit of an update: Last week, I received an email from "Admiral", the guy that wrote this latest blog. In it, he apologized for the blog. Know why? He actually watched "Talifan! SE" for himself, and found that it wasn't at all what Dark Moose described it to be in his "Video Hate" blog.

He's also lurked here, and while some of the comments hit below the belt, he took them in good stride.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

So he wrote the blog without seeing the video? That's lovely but at least he had the stones to come clean about it and hopefully he doesn't buy into the Karen Travis BS anymore.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So he wrote the blog without seeing the video? That's lovely but at least he had the stones to come clean about it and hopefully he doesn't buy into the Karen Travis BS anymore.
I actually think it was quite decent of him. He really had no need to apologize (it's not like SW.com was going to throw him out, or anything), and he did anyway. That takes some guts and was pretty honorable.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Master of Ossus wrote:
I actually think it was quite decent of him. He really had no need to apologize (it's not like SW.com was going to throw him out, or anything), and he did anyway. That takes some guts and was pretty honorable.
I think I'm coming across wrong. I think it's disgusting that he condemed the "talifans" based partly on a video he never saw. But I salute his apology, as you pointed out he had no need to do so. It took balls to admit he was wrong and take steps to see the other sides version of events.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

I don't see it as commendable. I think it's good he apologized, he didn't just make a mistake, he did it in complete knowledge that what he was saying was from second-hand information from the toadies of a woman who thinks it's okay to insult her employers demographic.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So he wrote the blog without seeing the video? That's lovely but at least he had the stones to come clean about it and hopefully he doesn't buy into the Karen Travis BS anymore.
I'm sure the vast majority that read Moose's blog didn't see the video. Moose made sure to tell them its no longer online and not to bother looking for it, remember?

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Lord Poe wrote:
I'm sure the vast majority that read Moose's blog didn't see the video. Moose made sure to tell them its no longer online and not to bother looking for it, remember?
Isn't that when you respond to them, either in the blog comments or via PM or email with a link to the video, showing how full of shit DM is?

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Lord Poe wrote:
That I didn't know but I'm not suprised.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:
Yup;
The Dark Sycophant wrote:An ex-poster made a disturbing video and threw it up on YouTube. It's gone now, don't even bother looking for it.

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Lord Poe wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:
Yup;
The Dark Sycophant wrote:An ex-poster made a disturbing video and threw it up on YouTube. It's gone now, don't even bother looking for it.
I knew from personal experience that he doesn't shy away from putting words into peoples' mouth etc., but that is just... It's beyond me that he is allowed to stay on as moderator at the OS. It's quite alarming that LFL doesn't show their perhaps most loyal and opinionated customers more respect than that.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

LFL is making money hand over fist. They don't care, really. Or maybe they do, but some factor is interfering with their ability to regulate things properly.

Really though, it might just be that they aren't actually the kind of fans we are. Remember, they are running a huge corporation, so likely, they have degrees in business managing are the best suited for keeping it in the black. That ability does not make them diehard fans, despite the fact that IMO diehard fans should be the ones running LFL.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.