The Nature of Palpatine

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Not exactly. When Mace accuses him of being a Sith Lord, his reply is:
Am I? Even if true, that's hardly a crime. My philosophical outlook is a personal matter. In fact - the last time I read the Constitution, anyway - we have very strict laws against this type of persecution. So I ask you again: what is my alleged crime? How do you expect to justify your mutiny before the Senate? Or do you intend to arrest the Senate as well?
He doesn't outright deny it, but he doesn't admit it either; he just says it's of no importance.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Stas Bush wrote:What about the Stover record when the Jedi attacked him in RotS? It seemed pretty obvious that he admitted to being Sith, or at least belonging to Sith teachings.
It was well known that Palpatine had a facination with the Sith "religion"; he had heaps of Sith artifacts in the waiting room of his office, after all. I imagine that it wouldn't have taken many people by surprise if he claimed to follow their beliefs (if anyone in the public at large even knew what they really were anymore). There's quite a step between that (which, IIRC, is all that the altered recording implies) and actually being a Force-wielding Sith Lord. Only the closest of his advisors knew about that; even the governor of an Imperial world like Bakura thought that the very suggestion that Palpatine was an actual Sith was laughable (TaB).
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction