The power to cheat death...

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Naja
Redshirt

The power to cheat death...

Post by Naja »

Let's assume that Sidious wasn't bullshitting Anakin, and the ancient (and "selfish," as Qui-Gon's ghost called it) Sith technique of immortality was real. What would it be like? Would Sith immortality be something like Exar Kun's spirit bound to the Massassi temple, or just some lingering ghost like in Jedi Academy? Or would it be some unimagineably powerful incarnation that no one has thought of yet?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think immortality the way Palpatine described, was as a living being. When he is talking about Plageus he comments on how it was ironic that he could save others from death, but not himself.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Naja
Redshirt

Post by Naja »

This is unlikely, considering Lucas' child-like attention span, but what if the Sithian immortality turned out to be Palpatine's plan to absorb the universe into his ego?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

As far as I understand it Sith immortality comes by leaching life out of others. As such it is indeed very selffish as you are stealing life from others so that you can live.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Naja wrote:This is unlikely, considering Lucas' child-like attention span, but what if the Sithian immortality turned out to be Palpatine's plan to absorb the universe into his ego?
Well then good thing we are talking about the movie characters and not GL. So lets assume Palpatine wasn't bullshitting Anakin and... Palpatine straight up says "Ironic. He could save others from death… but not himself."
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
freker
Youngling

Post by freker »

according to the EU (darksaber) palpatine could indeed transfer the mind of others (maybe also himself) to a new body, like a clone body
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'd say Palps wasn't "bullshiting" Anakin - after all, both of them died violent deaths, and Palpie lived an unnaturally long life with the Dark Side. So perhaps there's a Sith secret after all.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

83 years is an unnaturally long life?
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

For what reason should we use to assume that Darth Sidious was lying? All his other statements he made towards Anakin were never lies to begin with.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

000 wrote:83 years is an unnaturally long life?
Indeed, the vitality of characters like Pellaeon and the Skywalkers in old age suggest that medical advances or other factors in the SW universe allow the average human to live easily in excess of a century, perhaps even approaching one and a half. Palpatine's age was hardly abnormal, even if he didn't look as young as he actually was in the end. I don't think that the Sith's "life-extending" abilities, if they existed as Palpatine described, were ever actually demonstrated, aside from Palpatine's mind-transfer technique, which he actually stole from a Jedi master.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Mace Windu was supposed to be nearly 200 years old. Mind you, If I'm remembering that right, it was from an RPG book so....
Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Post by Wild Karrde »

000 wrote:83 years is an unnaturally long life?
I'm curious, where did that number come from?
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Solauren wrote:Mace Windu was supposed to be nearly 200 years old. Mind you, If I'm remembering that right, it was from an RPG book so....
...the fuck? Shatterpoint puts him in 50s (he was on the Jedi Council before he was 30, and had been on the Council "more than two decades" by Geonosis), and the RotS novelisation says he was the youngest Jedi appointed to the Council before Anakin Skywalker.

When was that book published?
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

It wasn't.

As for Palpatine: Behind the Magic pegs his age as of RotJ at 86 (sorry, remembered wrong). Holonet News and, if I recall correctly, the New Essential Guide to Characters confirms it.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

As for Palpatine: Behind the Magic pegs his age as of RotJ at 86
Oh. I see.

Does anyone know if initially there was no "long-ages" in SW EU, and when precisely did the "even ordinary humans can live for hundreds of years" retcon happen, out-of-universe?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Stas Bush wrote:
Oh. I see.

Does anyone know if initially there was no "long-ages" in SW EU, and when precisely did the "even ordinary humans can live for hundreds of years" retcon happen, out-of-universe?
Me, I always figured as a kid that Yoda was what a human Jedi Master would look like after nearly a millenium...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Stas Bush wrote:
Oh. I see.

I really don't think there is any way to truly gauge whether or not long lifespans were part of the original concept; it's hardly a key plot point, and something you could only discern if C-3PO spouted out a bit of random trivia on it for some reason, which, to my knowledge, never happened. All the movies tell us is that humans age at a seemingly standard rate into middle age.

As for the retecon, if there ever was one, I suspect it occured when post-ROTJ EU writers realized just how far from the original films they were getting, chronologically or otherwise. Of course, they couldn't stop relying so heavily on Luke, Han, and the rest, so they simply started inserting references to longer lifespans. Considering the medical technology of the SW universe, hundred-year average lifetimes aren't really that far-fetched, anyways; after all, even modern medical scientists are toying with the idea of virtual immortality at some point in the future.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Fuck the EU

Post by Kurgan »

I prefer to think that there never was such a person as "Darth Plagueis the Wise" and Palpatine WAS bullshitting Anakin the whole time.

Much simpler explanation. ;)

Palpy is a good liar, it's not like they can even sense his power most of the time, much less perform a virtual lie detector test on him through the Force.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Isolder74 wrote:As far as I understand it Sith immortality comes by leaching life out of others. As such it is indeed very selffish as you are stealing life from others so that you can live.
It would be ironic that Palpy ended up stumped at how to do this whereas Anakin was unconsciously doing this during his post-Mustafar surgery. Remember the Anakin sucking the life out of Padme theory to explain her unnatural death?
Molyneux wrote:Me, I always figured as a kid that Yoda was what a human Jedi Master would look like after nearly a millenium...
That would've been...awesome!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:As far as I understand it Sith immortality comes by leaching life out of others. As such it is indeed very selffish as you are stealing life from others so that you can live.
It would be ironic that Palpy ended up stumped at how to do this whereas Anakin was unconsciously doing this during his post-Mustafar surgery. Remember the Anakin sucking the life out of Padme theory to explain her unnatural death?
Molyneux wrote:Me, I always figured as a kid that Yoda was what a human Jedi Master would look like after nearly a millenium...
That would've been...awesome!
Well, he does say as much - "When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?" - and he's never explicitly stated as NOT being human.

As a kid, I really had no sense of sarcasm whatsoever.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

And part of it is the "900 years old" quote. Yoda couldn't have been entirely sarcastic when he joked about Luke getting really old and crusty-looking.

It is definately safe to assume that Force-assisted aging can only account for part of that.
The Technology of Peace!
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

LaserRifleofDoom wrote:It is definately safe to assume that Force-assisted aging can only account for part of that.
... or that Yoda's species typically have lifespans that consists of hundreds of years. :idea:
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Palpatine said that Plaguis had developed the ability to keep other people from dying. Presumably he needed to do something to them at or shortly after the moment of death to restore them, and he wasn't able to do that to himself.

We know that Yoda lived an extraordinarily long life, but I don't know if that's normal for his species or not.

We know that Obi-Wan and some other Jedi were able to manifest themselves as ghosts after they died.

There are several variations on the ability to use the Force to "cheat death", but none of them constitute real immortality (at least in the movies).
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I think it would be safe to assume Palpy has some sort of life giving/draining powers or atleast can extend life. Plageus may have been on to something bigger, but not quite at 'immortality' yet.

But the cosmic joke is that hte Jedi got immortality, atleast Obi, Gin, Yoda and Anakin. They got to keep their identidy but loose their coporeal bodies. Palpy just extended his life but missed all the bennifits of being a Force ghost.

As a side note; if Palpy did indeed have a power to extend life or take life from one thing and put it in another, wouldn't this go a long way to explain the actual death of Padme?

If Palpy had the 'Force drain life' power on and simply reached out to a great connection to Anakin, couldn't he have been the one to drain Padme to save his apprentice via a Force connection between the husband and wife? It never made much sense to me that Anakin would some how instinctively suck his wife dry to save himself. But Palpy was the Master and supposedly had drain/extend life skills....and Padme was a political enemy and a good leverage point with his new apprentice.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

A brief list of Sith Lords and Dark Jedi who staved off corporeal death:

Arden Lyn: was able to stay alive and undamage in a stasis for 25 millennia
Darth Andeddu: was able to posess and animate his corpse
Exar Kun: was able to keep his spirit sane and able to manipulate the physical world without tying it to a particular spot
The Dark Underlord: was rumored to have been some sort of undead spirit
Darth Sion: was able to keep his destroyed body from decaying
Darth Nihilus: was able to tie his spirit to his armor in some fashion
Darth Plagueis: unknown; rumored to have been able to be truly immortal
Darth Sidious: was able to transfer his spirit to clone bodies
Darth Krayt: was able lengthen his life (if Human) via periods of stasis and some sort of symbiosis with Vong-designed armor