Imperial Racism, EU Brain bug?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Where does Imperial racism come from?

Definitely a brain bug that became reality.
43%
Implied by the movies but established by EU.
49%
Not a brain bug, you could tell from the films.
7%

Total votes: 81

nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

Captain Lakwii Vaarscha of the ISD Mk II Virulence

"this woman was one of the many promoted to officer status in the Imperial Navy"

That's what TCUSWE says about her. I don't know the validity of the quote, but it's interesting.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Wasn't that only because her superior got promoted to the Lusankya?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Simply taking the overwhelming amount of humans we see as an indication of species bias is ignoring the overwhelming dominance of humanity in the galaxy, especially given the small sample we have. According to Dr Saxton's Star Wars Technical Commentaries,

"It has been established that humans were amongst the first sapient species to develop hyperdrive in the STAR WARS galaxy [see eg. Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels; SWAJ #8: The Gree Enclave]. Corellians were amongst the first to do so, but humans were already present throughout the galaxy, which implies that they had slower means of interstellar transport for a long time earlier" [1].

This indicates humans had been spreading through the galaxy for a minimum of 50,000 years (assuming a home planet in the core, and expansion to 10,000 light years shy of the outer rim), and almost certainly much longer. However, the mere existence of what Dr Saxton calls "pseudohumans" indicates humanity has existed throughout the galaxy for possibly hundreds of thousands of years:

"Some species may evolve features enabling them to exploit humans in a directly organic manner. Others may be adapted for subconscious psychological manipulation of humans. Judging by the onscreen canonical evidence, many sapient species are adapted to mimick human beings" [2].

It is quite unreasonable to expect humans to have existed throughout the galaxy long enough to have clearly influenced the evolution of other species on a variety of worlds and not be a clear majority of the population in the Galactic Empire, given exponential rates of growth and the clear long-time expansion.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Wasn't that only because her superior got promoted to the Lusankya?
It'd have to be relations. She wasn't all that bright, remember?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

*Poll added* 4/15
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

There is also Vergere's claim in either Traitor or Destiny'sWay, that humans occupy every ecological niche and are everywhere or this archeologists from Brian Daley's Han Solo-trilogy (quoted in Hero's Trial), that humans are one of the most successful species of the galaxy.
Lazarus
Jedi Master

Post by Lazarus »

Concerning Varrsha, she was Academy trained, naturally, and given command of a customs corvette, which the Pulsar Skate under Mirax Terrik ran into. Mirax recalled that she was a by the book kind of officer, and somewhat unimaginative, although by no means incompetent.

After Captain Drysso was promoted to command of the Lusankya, Varrscha was given command of the Virulence. Apparently the two were something of a team, which suggests she had been XO of the Virulence for some time.
Lord Sander
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Sander »

I'm seeing a lot based on the "where are you taking this thing?" quote, but is everyone selectively forgetting the "someone get this big walking carpet out of my way" quote?
Lord Sander,
"Oderint dum metuant"
Glory to the Empire and Emperor Palpatine!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Lord Sander wrote:I'm seeing a lot based on the "where are you taking this thing?" quote, but is everyone selectively forgetting the "someone get this big walking carpet out of my way" quote?
People have noted that, several times. My opinion on the matter is that Leia was just being bitchy, since she never exhibits that kind of behavior around Chewie, or any other alien, again. Then again, both cases are a bit too hazy to make any definite judgement.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Lord Sander
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Sander »

Noble Ire wrote:People have noted that, several times.
It has? Whoops. :oops:
Noble Ire wrote:My opinion on the matter is that Leia was just being bitchy, since she never exhibits that kind of behavior around Chewie, or any other alien, again. Then again, both cases are a bit too hazy to make any definite judgement.
Not that I'm really serious in the following, but...
We've only seen Leia interact with 2 nonhumans, Chewie and Wicket. Chewie gets the same treatment he gets from Imps. Until he rescues her from execution. Wicket is just some primitive cutesy teddybear she wants to feed like a nerf at the zoo. Until he rescues her...
How do we know Leia isn't speciesist? The only aliens she seems to treat like equals are those that have successfully saved her life! :P

Now there's a brainbug that could've added drama to the EU :D
Lord Sander,
"Oderint dum metuant"
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Not from the movies, definetely.
Nonetheless, there may be implications in the novellisations of the movies, which could have influenced the Eu.

I doubt the completely made it up on their own. Although even that may be.

Anyway, EU is just plain dumb when it comes to Imperials, the only noteworthy EU Imperial characters were created by Zahn, the rest were like total psychopatic idiots, dumber than a military commander can possibly be. Fighting dumb psycho villains is fun, isn't it? :lol: :lol: That's one of the reasons I despise 99% of the EU.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I'll toss this one in for fun...

"My little... green... friend." - Palpatine to Yoda, ROTS ;)
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Utah Jak
Padawan Learner

Post by Utah Jak »

Kurgan wrote:I'll toss this one in for fun...

I think that was Palps beinga a smart ass though. Also, Siddious was bat-shit crazy during his duel with Yoda.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

Palpatine does say in Outbound Flight that one must "permit people their passions".

Apparently everyone's passion just happened to be xenophobia, then? :P
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Apparently everyone's passion just happened to be xenophobia, then?
It may have had to do with the CIS, who were mostly xenos, against a dominantly human Republic.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Kurgan wrote:I'll toss this one in for fun...

Yeah, because single quotes mean shit. :roll:

That's all this is based on. Single quotes. We ignore the nasty racist shit the good guys say, and use the nasty racist shit the bad guys say to invent a galaxy-spanning attitude.

Frankly, since most aliens appear to be limited to few planets - ie, Sullustans are actually from Sullust - while humans are EVERYWHERE - humans aren't from planet Hum - means that aliens in general are outnumbered, and individual species are stark minorities. Holy shit, maybe the prison officer had never even SEEN a wookie! :roll:
Spartan
Jedi Knight

Post by Spartan »

Kurgan wrote:
I'll toss this one in for fun...

"My little... green... friend." - Palpatine to Yoda, ROTS
That's just pre-fight trash talk! He could just as easily said "you got no game midget! :P
"The enemy outnumbers us a paltry three to one. Good odds for any Greek...."

"Spartans. Ready your breakfast and eat hearty--For tonight we dine in hell!" ~ King Leonidas of Sparta.
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Stark wrote:Frankly, since most aliens appear to be limited to few planets - ie, Sullustans are actually from Sullust - while humans are EVERYWHERE - humans aren't from planet Hum - means that aliens in general are outnumbered, and individual species are stark minorities. Holy shit, maybe the prison officer had never even SEEN a wookie! :roll:
Possibly not. Leia might not have seen one before Chewie either, hence the trash talk from both of them.
But nooo, only Cletus T. Yokel, prison guard's words are noticed. Even though Leia is a Senator and leader in the Rebellion and should know better. :twisted:
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

Lord Sander wrote:I'm seeing a lot based on the "where are you taking this thing?" quote, but is everyone selectively forgetting the "someone get this big walking carpet out of my way" quote?
Not to mention who gets medals, and who doesn't get medals at the end of ANH. Humans, yes; droids, no; walking-carpet, no.
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

FOG3 wrote:
Not to mention who gets medals, and who doesn't get medals at the end of ANH. Humans, yes; droids, no; walking-carpet, no.
According to lit, Chewbacca got his medal later; Leia was too short to put it on him. Don't like that, fine, but remember it's not my explanation.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

It's kind of weak, but the case around the officer is much weaker.

If we went into the droids, R2-D2 has saved their collective butts at least once per movie. Yet a rebel mechanic offers the chance of a new one to Luke, because it's "beat up" in the first movie. Not to mention the entire Endor assault would have uterly failed if they hadn't had C-3PO who just happened to look like a Ewok diety. No ewok distraction, therefore no success at the shield generator, therefore that shield would have stayed up.

The case against the Alliance is many fold stronger then that against the Empire.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

FOG3 wrote:It's kind of weak, but the case around the officer is much weaker.

If we went into the droids, R2-D2 has saved their collective butts at least once per movie. Yet a rebel mechanic offers the chance of a new one to Luke, because it's "beat up" in the first movie. Not to mention the entire Endor assault would have uterly failed if they hadn't had C-3PO who just happened to look like a Ewok diety. No ewok distraction, therefore no success at the shield generator, therefore that shield would have stayed up.

The case against the Alliance is many fold stronger then that against the Empire.
I think it's fairly established that the Star Wars galaxy is racist against droids, regardless of political standing; how does this demonstrate the Empire is racist against other species?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Lord Sander
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Sander »

FOG3 wrote:It's kind of weak, but the case around the officer is much weaker.
Actually, I'd say the case for the officer is stronger. He's talking about what he assumes to be a criminal prisoner (not that I know how prison guards talk about prisoners IRL, but I doubt it's glowingly). Leia was talking about someone risking his life to save hers!
Lord Sander,
"Oderint dum metuant"
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

Well, to be honest, she was expecting General Kenobi the Negotiator to save her.

She got Sargent Mullet and the Dynamic Duo instead :P

Plus she just got out of a trash compactor. That would really mess up someone's mood.
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Lord Sander wrote: Actually, I'd say the case for the officer is stronger. He's talking about what he assumes to be a criminal prisoner (not that I know how prison guards talk about prisoners IRL, but I doubt it's glowingly). Leia was talking about someone risking his life to save hers!
The scene goes like this (hopefully these are exact)
"Han Solo: Look, Your Worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me.
Princess Leia: It's a wonder you're still alive.
[Pushing past Chewbacca]
Princess Leia: Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?
Han Solo: No reward is worth this. "

She isn't that respectful of Han after rescuing her either (although it wasn't the most ept rescue in the world). So you could assign this as either sarcasm or exasperation.

She also has other lines like "Into the garbage chute, flyboy. " So she has a sharp tongue more than being racist. At least Chewie wasn't called a nerfherder. :D