"There's something familiar about this place..."

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

"There's something familiar about this place..."

Post by Kurgan »

So, now that ROTS is out, we're supposed to view this line as simply Luke sensing the presence of Yoda (but not really realizing what this sensation is, since he's not very well trained in the Force yet), like at his birth at the end of Episode III?

Thus the scene is akin to Vader's line in ANH about "that's a presence I've not felt since..."

I remember how we fans used to endlessly speculate that he'd been to Dagobah before and all that stuff about Yoda killing a Dark Jedi there leaving his dark side "aura" trapped in the cave to help him hide from the Empire, that came all to nothing...

So another Star Wars mystery solved, eh?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

As for Yoda killing the Dark Jedi, him being around as a jedi for as long as he was around he might have killed the Dark Jedi Long before the events of the PT.

Luke may very well have been sensing the presence of Yoda as familier. Remember, Yoda was present at his birth and up until his being taken to Tatooine by Obi Wan Kenobi.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Isolder74 wrote:As for Yoda killing the Dark Jedi, him being around as a jedi for as long as he was around he might have killed the Dark Jedi Long before the events of the PT.

Luke may very well have been sensing the presence of Yoda as familier. Remember, Yoda was present at his birth and up until his being taken to Tatooine by Obi Wan Kenobi.
I was thinking the latter rather than the former.

Was this "Dark Jedi" one of the Lost 20 then? CW shows us "the cave" around the time of TPM. Of course the "only what you take with you" (repeated by Qui Gon Jinn, echoing Yoda's words to Luke some 30+ years later) seems to fly in the face of an actual slain Dark Jedi's spirit being trapped in "the cave."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Kurgan wrote:Was this "Dark Jedi" one of the Lost 20 then? CW shows us "the cave" around the time of TPM. Of course the "only what you take with you" (repeated by Qui Gon Jinn, echoing Yoda's words to Luke some 30+ years later) seems to fly in the face of an actual slain Dark Jedi's spirit being trapped in "the cave."
it seemed more like vision then an actual event to as Qui-Gon was killed before he had any chance to train Anakin.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Was this "Dark Jedi" one of the Lost 20 then?
The lost 20 were not dark jedi :banghead: they simply left the order peacefully, only Dooku actually turned to the dark-side (From the ROTS novelization).

There is a Tales story of a Yoda species jedi killing a powerful dark jedi in the cave but that isnt really proper canon.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

There is a Tales story of a Yoda species jedi killing a powerful dark jedi in the cave but that isnt really proper canon.
The story originated in Visions of the Future of the Thrawn duology, so it is canon.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Keep in mind that in Lucas' commentary for that scene he states that he wanted a dream like feel for Dagobah and Luke's comment was more in line with him having visited a place like this before in his dreams. Dagobah was supposed to have a fairy tale quality much like the Fae World that the Irish believed that Fairies lived and that you could stumble into quiet easily back in the day just by walking in the fog. It was meant to harken to the old tales of warriors traveling into the spirit world to be trained and prepared for their next quest.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

With Ben and Yoda trying to guide him, then it would seem they would be imparting a sense of familiarity on Luke, so he would be more at ease when dealing with such a strange place, and an unknown being.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Lord Revan wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Was this "Dark Jedi" one of the Lost 20 then? CW shows us "the cave" around the time of TPM. Of course the "only what you take with you" (repeated by Qui Gon Jinn, echoing Yoda's words to Luke some 30+ years later) seems to fly in the face of an actual slain Dark Jedi's spirit being trapped in "the cave."
it seemed more like vision then an actual event to as Qui-Gon was killed before he had any chance to train Anakin.
Wait, so that scene from CW was a "vision" and Qui Gon didn't actually take little Annie to Dagobah to show him the cave? Weird!

Maybe he went into the cave, and in the cave he saw a vision of himself going into the cave and then... ARGGghh the mind reels!
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Stravo wrote:Keep in mind that in Lucas' commentary for that scene he states that he wanted a dream like feel for Dagobah and Luke's comment was more in line with him having visited a place like this before in his dreams. Dagobah was supposed to have a fairy tale quality much like the Fae World that the Irish believed that Fairies lived and that you could stumble into quiet easily back in the day just by walking in the fog. It was meant to harken to the old tales of warriors traveling into the spirit world to be trained and prepared for their next quest.
Fair enough (for non-SOD), but I was trying to show how an apparent "explanation" for it in the past (I don't recall if it was a real EU explanation or just a fanon one, but I'm pretty sure the former) doesn't quite fit anymore.

Apparently the reason Yoda chose Dagobah is just that it was remote, and it was erased from the data memory. It wasn't because of any Dark Jedi aura masking his force signature. I guess either the bad guys were stupid, they can't detect him that far away, or Yoda learned to mask his presence from other Force users like Palpatine did (and I guess Ben learned that too, only revealing himself purposely to lure Vader away from Luke & Co.).