Huttese?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Huttese?

Post by Coyote »

Any word on a Huttese dictionary? Marc Okrand, the guy that inflicted the world with Klingonese dictionaries and started a trend that now outnumbers speakers of Navajo, was able to extrapolate a Klingon language from a handful of phrases in the early ST movies.

Now, I watch the Star Wars series and realize that we hear a LOT of Huttese spoken (the Tatooine part in ep. I seems to be almost half Huttese)... I'm sure there's a sourcebook for this floating around the Lucasfilm studios, any word on it being released to the general public?

I doubt I'd take the time to learn the language, but it would be a nice novelty to have around, like my "how to" manual on cannibalism... oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

"mi boska b'Huttese Dictionary..."
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

There is, to some extent. It's called the Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide. Most of it is just cheap crap, but the Huttese is authentic. It's by no means a comprehensive or thorough dictionary. Watching Return of the Jedi a couple days ago, I recognized several words and phrases during the Jabba scenes.

Glancing through the book, several words/phrases are familiar:

"Koona t'chuta (Solo)?"

"U wamma wonka...?"

And so on... it's a fairly interesting book all told, with a lot of behind-the-scenes info on the languages (such as Shryiiwook).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

IIRC (and bear in mind this was a documentary I saw on ROTJ a long time ago,) Huttese is a real, spoken language or was at least based on one. I forget from where, somewhere in the Indochina area maybe.

Edit: found it on TF.net, although I had the source horribly wrong. It's apparently a modified version of the Incan language of Catua. source.

There's also this that claims to be a dictionary.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Hate to burst your bubble, but in the Original Trilogy, Huttese was random gibberish from and based on the Native Mexican language Quechua. For the Special Editiona and Prequel Trilogy, they made up and recycled a lot of Huttese from the original. Therefore very little of it actually means anything, because of the recycling problem.

Additionally, unlike Klingon, Huttese wasn't constructed with the intention of being like a real language. Attempting to learn Huttese will get you nowhere because too many meanings are attributed to too few elements.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Missed that while I was editing... that's what I get for trying to rely on memory.