AT-AT "maximum firepower"

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:Lasers aren't bombs.

The beams interact and transfer their energy into the exotic metal structure of the generator, vaporizing its structure.

Eh....I thought Turbolasers werent lasers ?
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

It seems possible to me that the AT-AT has a capacitor for powering the high-powered shots. This would mean that the normal shots are used because that's what the reactor can power, while the high-powered shots drain (either completely or partially) the capacitor. While low-power shots can be fired without pausing to allow the capacitor to recharge, the AT-AT would have to cease fire for a period to recharge the capacitor before being able to fire another high-powered blast. This would explain both how the high-powered blast occurred so quickly after the command and why it was not used more often.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

white_rabbit wrote:

The beams interact and transfer their energy into the exotic metal structure of the generator, vaporizing its structure.

Particle means aren't bombs. Contained plasma isn't a bomb. green pixie dust isn't a bomb. It doesn't matter what they are, they aren't going to go off like a bomb. Which is waht the whole point there was, and it went totally over your fucking head
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Ender wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:

Particle beams aren't bombs. Contained plasma isn't a bomb. green pixie dust isn't a bomb. It doesn't matter what they are, they aren't going to go off like a bomb. Which is waht the whole point there was, and it went totally over your fucking head
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Ender wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:

Particle means aren't bombs. Contained plasma isn't a bomb. green pixie dust isn't a bomb. It doesn't matter what they are, they aren't going to go off like a bomb. Which is waht the whole point there was, and it went totally over your fucking head
So Turbolasers are particle beams then ?
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

jesus christ rabbit, it was only an example.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

His Divine Shadow wrote:jesus christ rabbit, it was only an example.

ookay.

just thinking about SW blasters in general.
Darth PhysBod
Youngling

Post by Darth PhysBod »

In this image the marked lines link the points.
Left hand line: (257,88 );(257,98 )
Right hand line: (270,88 );(270,98 )

I.e 11 pixels in height.

in this image the same part (right hand side) of the generator is marked:

Left: (50,184);(50,208)
Right:(75,184);(75,208)

I.e 25 pixels in height.

What does this mean? Even if we ingore the extra distance the AT-AT's will have covered in 3 and 1/2 minutes and assume the first image is at 17.28Km this puts the latter at 7.6Km, outside the 3rd degree burns radius and if we took the extra distance into account outside/on the very limit of the second degree burns radius.

So what?
At the limit of the range for 3rd degree burns, the time lapse between suffering burns and being hit by the blast wave varies from a few seconds for low kiloton explosions to a minute of so for high megaton yields.
-5.6 of the Nuclear weapons FAQ. We dont see the blast wave hitting the troops because the whole scene only lasts 2 seconds (52 frames to be precise).
Master of the boffin, Formerly known as Evil S'tan

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "That's no ordinary rabbit!...that's the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on"