How fast do you type?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

How fast do you type?

Post by Pu-239 »

60-70WPM.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Maybe 25-35WPM on average. I only bothered to learn how to type about a year ago. Before that, I was a fast two-finger typer.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

Does an application exist which generates log files that can be posted? A benchmark would be nice.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

About 30 WPM, if I'm on the ball. Usually though, I'm too distracted to write thirty words in one burst.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I think I averaged somewhere around 40 wpm about two years ago. I doubt it's gone up much since then.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

120 WPM if I'm doing repetitive forms and the like.
I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed, really. *realizes how much time he spends just on filling out paperwork, then shudders*
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

It varies; really fast for familiar and simple words, careful pecking for others, and no attaboys for following classic technique.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

60-70wpm for transcribing.

50-60wpm for actual writing off the top of my head.

And up to 100 or more for repetitive tasks.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I used to test myself with a typing program some time ago, but I can't remember exactly the speed. Anyway, it depends on the language I am typing in and the complexity of the text. But I am certain that I can make more than 50-60 WPM with as few mistakes as possible.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I can type about 60-80 words per minute, although when I go that fast, my fingers usually slip and end up pressing a key next to the one I want, or typing the word's letters out of order, and I have to go back and correct that, and that slows me down.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

60-80 for a paragraph, up to 110 on a single sentence.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

It really depends what I'm typing - if I know what I'm going to say beforehand, I'm around 60 wpa. However, if I have to stop and think about what I'm going to say (Like now), then it's probably more like 40 wpa.

Edit: Oh, and I don't really type the "proper" way either. My fingers are rarely on the home row - I just have all the key positions memorized. Its kinda like pecking, but with 9 fingers :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:I can type about 60-80 words per minute, although when I go that fast, my fingers usually slip and end up pressing a key next to the one I want, or typing the word's letters out of order, and I have to go back and correct that, and that slows me down.
Yeah, I kind of do that a lot, but that's what backspace is for, and the end result is what matters anyway.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I type 170 words per minute, but it's in my own language. :D

But seriously.. probably around 50 or 60.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh yeah - and with my stated wpms - thats with 95%+ accuracy as I go back and correct myself on the fly most of the time.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I can type faster than I can formulate things to say, which is basically as good as I can realistically be and as much speed as I can possibly use for virtually any purpose. I think I can do about 65 words per minute--it takes me less than a second to type a typical word.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I have no clue. The last time I was tested was years ago in elementary school at 30 wpm. It's almost certainly different now.

I once had an idea for a game like stepmania, except instead of a ddr clone it's a transcription simulator. If you can get the kids to play it as obsessively as they do some other games you're going to train up so scary fast typists.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

40 WPM on average.
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

My average is about 60, and I can hit 80 with acceptable accuracy if I push it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Recent office temp agency check put me in at 67 wpm, with 99% accuracy. I thought this was pretty good, till I read that the world record is about 160wpm, with an non-record high of 220 and belongs to a woman in Oregon. Eep. :shock:
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Top speed is 79 WPM, avarage speed is 40-61 WPM.
I acutaly type faster when I'm flowing then just transcribing, If I'm thinking and writting its normaly around 70 wpm as I tend to think faster than I can type. However transcribing is normaly stuck in the low forties because I read faster than I type leading to tons of erros I must go back and correct.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Average is 60-70 WPM. Typing is the one and only thing I can claim as a marketable skill. o.O
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Raxmei wrote: I once had an idea for a game like stepmania, except instead of a ddr clone it's a transcription simulator. If you can get the kids to play it as obsessively as they do some other games you're going to train up so scary fast typists.
Well, there is already "The Typing of the Dead", a version of The house of the dead II playable by keyboard.
Anyway I probably average at around 80-90 words per minute with decent accuracy.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Type? I just copy paste everything with my mouse. Don't have money to buy a keyboard
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

On average around 50-60. If I'm typing a paragraph from another paper or someone is dictating or I otherwise know exactly what to type in advance, around 80-90. Highest I ever hit on a single sentence, which I knew in advance, was 210.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.