NitReview: Draconimicon

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

NitReview: Draconimicon

Post by SirNitram »

Draconomicon: The Book Of Dragons, for D&D 3rd Ed. It's now a part of my home. And I'll review it for everyone.

First. Who remembers Council Of Wyrms? I hope lots of people. It's back. WOOO!

It's up in four basic parts, so I'll do each seperate, then all together.

All About Dragons: From anatomy, to sociology, to personality. It begins with an overview of all manifestations, then moves onto the individual types. The anatomy is where we start off, and I might as well settle the age-old bets now: Dragons aren't lizards. Deal with it. Interestingly, the dragon anatomy is based heavily off feline, and somehow, it fits perfectly.

The illustrations feel like woodcuts, which adds flavour to this section. Of course, any discussion of draconic anatomy has to somehow explain the impossible feats a Dragon can do. This is done by invoking an organ called the Draconis Fundamentum and simply calling it an energy converter, the reason why a dragon can subsist off any matter it can swallow, and how they are immune to elemental energies. And, last of all, their breath weapons, all rolled into one magical organ. At least they didn't try too much technobabble(Arcanobabble?).

Dragon society is again, seeming to be melded off cats in some ways, but also syncs up with previous material well. From the basics of challenge to how each species mate is covered.. Is it possible for there to be too much detail in the biggest creature in D&D?

Individual dragons each get an illustration of their head, and an 'underside' look as they fly, with lots of scribbled notes, again, adding to the feel. Of particular note is several species of good-aligned dragon having pictures of wyrmlings. CAUTION: The baby Bronze dragon is so overpoweringly cute, you may be unable to put the book down.

Also present is a brief foray into the dragon language, for those that crave that level of detail. Amusing fact: The word for 'cow' is based off the word for 'meat'. Well, I can see how that makes sense...

Of particular interest is discussion of the biggest question of dragons: Why do they horde? The answer is multi-part, but relatively satisfying, as it covers the natural instinct, the physical pleasure of rolling around in treasure, and the mental exercises a dragon can use their treasure for(Sounds kind of like a Mind, really...).

All in all, this section rates a 9 out of 10 for excellent presentation, feel, and detail.

Dragons for the DM:

How do you use them? Is it fitting for their majesty? And a whole slew of thing the DM can use. From a review of possible roles a dragon can fill, to discussions of how a dragon will optimally defend itself, to new prestidge classes, feats, magic items, and spells for the big guys, it's all here. Be warned: You may want to run a dragon-centric campaign after reading all this.

Fitting in with this is a number of monsters related to dragons, and, best of all, sample dragons of every colour and age category, complete with personality notes and lair maps. Very handy, and you can't help but enjoy reading a section on a Green Wyrmling being harassed by pixies.

This section gets an 8 out of ten.

Dragons, for the PC:

From spells that allow one to fight like a dragon(Or fight a dragon!), to prestidge classes based around dragons, to feats. The obvious things are here. They're relatively few, but will do. The options for dragons working with PC's are expanded on well, with Dragon Cohorts, Mounts, Special Mounts(The Paladin thing), and even Familiars.

This bit seems a bit extraneous in places, but is largely good. 7 out of ten.

And then there's the big one. Dragon PC's.

Now, there's a limit here, what you can do feasibly. 3rd Ed's Effective Class Level mechanic makes it easier to fit most monsters in, but it makes it hard to run a dragon campaign. Hard, I note, but not impossible. Savage Species offered one method, this alters it slightly to more sync up with what was shown in the old Council Of Wyrms books..

Fine, I'll explain it. A nifty chart is included for each basic True dragon, with how many levels of 'dragon' they must earn for each birthday. These levels grant HP, hit dice, and the usual benefits thereof. Once they've earned enough, at the appropriate birthday, they gain the age upgrades(New powers, ability upgrades, et-cetera). As long as they've earned the 'dragon' levels for that birthday, they can freely multiclass.. Ever wanted to play a Gold Paladin? The only chink in the works is several colors require an occasional 'dragon' level that doesn't grant anything, due to the larger jumps in the age bonuses. Still, it's a servicable system.

The only caveat is the charts only go up to ECL 20. Even for the puny Whites, this only leaves you at Juvenile.. But by that point, most of the mortal PC's are ancient. Still, there is alot of fun to be had playing a newborn dragon, and this could always be expanded upon.

An excellent effort, and a good way to work in dragon PC's. 8 out of ten, barred from a 9 only because of the relative clunkiness.

All in all, an 8 out of ten. If you love dragons and want to see them in detail, get this. If you're planning a draco-centric campaign, at least check it out.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You just got that book SN? I've had it for a couple of months easy
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Solauren wrote:You just got that book SN? I've had it for a couple of months easy
Well, I hadn't even planned to get it yet, but Tevar saw it and was 'MUST BUY!'. Still, it's good stuff. :D
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

SirNitram wrote:[
Well, I hadn't even planned to get it yet, but Tevar saw it and was 'MUST BUY!'. Still, it's good stuff. :D

She let you read it first? :shock:

Wow. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I'll have to agree with SirNitram on this one. The only major flaw with it, as in most 3rd edition projects, is an overabundance of PRC's. This books had too many, but they were reasonably interesting and not stupid. For non expereinced players, its a great resource for Dragon stuff. Old DM's may not need anything here, though.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My only disappointment with it was there was not enough new or coverted Dragon species

i.e Where the hell are the heavy Metal dragons? the Cobra dragon, etc...

Your lucky SN, my girlfriend see's a new D20 book and takes it from me before I can read it.

i.e I just got 'Quintessential Choas Mage', left it on my desk to read later, my girlfriend comes over and shes like 'Cool!', grabs it and sits down and starts leafing through it.

Mystra help my d20 games if she ever reads any of the wizard spells beyond the Players Handbook. I can just see a combination of Quintessential Elf, E.Arcana Star Magic, Occult Lore and Magic of Faerun in her hands
:shock:
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

I picked it up a couple months ago and got side tracked by a couple Eden Studios products before I finished it. It was great, all though the rules part were making me bored with it.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Just imagine what happens if they adapt celestial dragons to the 3rd ed system. :shock:

The best dragon PC I ever had was a Steel Dragon who went around in human form and was a wizard. :twisted:
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Re: NitReview: Draconimicon

Post by Iceberg »

SirNitram wrote:The illustrations feel like woodcuts, which adds flavour to this section. Of course, any discussion of draconic anatomy has to somehow explain the impossible feats a Dragon can do. This is done by invoking an organ called the Draconis Fundamentum and simply calling it an energy converter, the reason why a dragon can subsist off any matter it can swallow, and how they are immune to elemental energies. And, last of all, their breath weapons, all rolled into one magical organ. At least they didn't try too much technobabble(Arcanobabble?).
Betsy refers to this as the Deus ex Machina gland.
Individual dragons each get an illustration of their head, and an 'underside' look as they fly, with lots of scribbled notes, again, adding to the feel. Of particular note is several species of good-aligned dragon having pictures of wyrmlings. CAUTION: The baby Bronze dragon is so overpoweringly cute, you may be unable to put the book down.
Actually, there are wyrmling pictures of every species other than red and gold. It's just that the chromatic wyrmlings are significantly less cute.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Actually there was a picture of a gold wyrmling too, it was one standing next to a paladin with the subtext of it being an equivelent to a 13 level adventurer. I think.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Meh. I still take my Book of Exalted Deeds over that. *Hugs Book of Exalted Deeds.*
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tsyroc wrote:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll.. not exactly. It was more along the lines of 'You can sit on the couch with me as I read, and I'll point out the good points.' :twisted:

But the Picture of the Copper Wyrmling (Familiar) draped over a wizards shoulders is adorable... and then offset by the next page where a Gold Wyrmling is crouched beside a 12th level fighter. The Gold is bigger than the fighter, the Copper is the size of a large cat, and they're the same age. Really puts it in perspective. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

LadyTevar wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:

But the Picture of the Copper Wyrmling (Familiar) draped over a wizards shoulders is adorable...
The "wizard" is actually Hennet, the iconic Sorceror, Tev. :)

- Mark, pedant
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Sounds like SirNit and LadyTev read new D20 books like my girlfriend and I are known to do (when she doesn't steal them first while I'm cleaning my apartment)

And you like the Book of Exalted Deeds more then the Draconomicron Rogue 9? What was your opinion on the Book of Vile Darkness?

Hey, now that I think of it, why isn't there a D20 forum?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Solauren wrote:Hey, now that I think of it, why isn't there a D20 forum?
Because we call that gaming.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I saw the Draconomicon at Media Play and actually sat down and paged through it, even though I'm not a D&D player. I just love dragons.

Very cool. I think I might actually buy it.
JADAFETWA
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Just imagine what happens if they adapt celestial dragons to the 3rd ed system. :shock:

The best dragon PC I ever had was a Steel Dragon who went around in human form and was a wizard. :twisted:
Now that sounds like fun... I have an old 2nd edition mnster manual laying about and can do conversions reasonably easily... I may have to do that in a campaign at some point...

Is there any interest in such a D&D game, run over the gaming forum? I have a copy of the Draconomicon, and could either DM, or leave that to someone more skilled.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Just imagine what happens if they adapt celestial dragons to the 3rd ed system. :shock:

Now that sounds like fun... I have an old 2nd edition mnster manual laying about and can do conversions reasonably easily... I may have to do that in a campaign at some point...

Is there any interest in such a D&D game, run over the gaming forum? I have a copy of the Draconomicon, and could either DM, or leave that to someone more skilled.

You mean... Dragons as PC's?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun...... :mrgreen:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Of course I mean dragons as PCs :twisted:

I have a young Bronze Dragon/ 7th level fighter drawn up.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ah, that's a cute little dragon, that knows Weapon Specialization?!?

I like tossing templates on Dragons....

i.e
Age Category 20 Prismatic Dragon, with the following templates
Dracolich
Half Fiendish
Pseudonatural (Epic)
Psionic