STGOD2 OOC Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

STGOD2 OOC Thread

Post by Stormbringer »

Is any one interested in starting an new STGOD? Similar terms to the orginal SD.net STGOD. I'm missing a good one but the Honorverse one peetered out.

Edited to clarify which STGOD this is - Phong
Last edited by Stormbringer on 2004-01-17 10:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

What I'd really be interested in is getting back to the old ASVS style STGOD, but Marina is too good for us . . .

In game terms such a thing would basically be the same, except with a banged up pre-existing universe to play in. The ASVS STGODs melded fantasy and various Sci-Fi concepts together to form a fairly cohesive and interesting whole, and the character action and long-term animosities really perked things up. I'd like to see it come back, and not the in the STGOD-II form :)
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I was thinking a more organized version of the first one. Even allowing the same nations if people so desired.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I think Pablo's getting at a more un-organized one.

By the way, even though it's fairly unorganized, anyone who comes in and starts posting "but x escapes using a time machine, then goes and kills y's grandfather" tends to get bitchslapped. Hard.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Organization and moderators isn't going to make it work, its essentially getting to know each other that will. The original STGOD didn't spring out of nothing after all, and the SD.net history of TGODing is less then impressive.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Crayz9000 wrote:I think Pablo's getting at a more un-organized one.

By the way, even though it's fairly unorganized, anyone who comes in and starts posting "but x escapes using a time machine, then goes and kills y's grandfather" tends to get bitchslapped. Hard.
But the problem is on SD.net those people tended just to scream and whine and ruin it instead.

I'd like to see one happen but I guess it won't.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I'm reminded of a certain person who went by the nickname Transcend...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Crayz9000 wrote:I'm reminded of a certain person who went by the nickname Transcend...
Yeah, well we had two or three of them and they really ruined the game for everyone.
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Crayz9000 wrote:I'm reminded of a certain person who went by the nickname Transcend...
We solved that problem though. The best thing about that STGOD was that we were able to solve his trolling in story instead of either me or Phong having to use our moderator powers.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I found the SDnet STGOD far too constricting. Not to mention it was like just firing up the BIGBANG.EXE from TradeWars. There was nothing to it, which made it rather cardboard compared to the long-running story of the ASVS one. Just my two cents.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Part of it, I think, is the very scope and style of SD.net does not lend itself to STGODing. Back in ASVS you can see the relationship between different sub-thread battles. It makes life more interesting when each time you make a move it requries three different posts to explain where all of your forces are moving.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

So does any one have an idea for getting an STGOD that works?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:So does any one have an idea for getting an STGOD that works?
1) Don't try to make it from the whole cloth at once.

2) Get a moderator who'll be around.

3) No central villains. Those bog down other conflicts.

4) Less restrictions on creating things; the focus should be on story, not realism.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I'd moderate it, as to the rest that sounds good to me.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:I'd moderate it, as to the rest that sounds good to me.
I'd volunteer for moderation myself, except I would get distracted and wander off at bad moments.

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I read the STGOD thread in annoucements, but I still kinda don't get it....I'd like to participate in one, I like to think I have a vivid imagination, but again, still not clear, is it basically, you just make things up to loophole your way out of bad situations?

Commander Klix (chardok) wrote:
Ha! Commander Klix screams, in his Giant, Orange Jello command ship of untimely doom, The Gelatinator. Commander Klix orders to launch all pudding pods, and cackles glefully as they impact the ISD broadside, flames erupting from the side.

Random SDnetter wrote:
as the pudding pods erupt onto the side of his ship, ISD commander Random orders his cloaked fleet of DSIII's to decloak and open fire with their superlasers. The Gelatinator is quickly vaporized, with no trace of it remaining.

Commander Klix (Chardok) Wrote:
what the foolish commander Random of the ISD Hilaritor Didn't know was that commander Klix had already detected the presence of the DSIII's using subspace Flanscanner, invented by Commander Klix himself. the instant the intercepted transmission was given, Commander klix thumbed the control knob of his Tesseract machine, and blinked out of existence...for the moment.

something like that?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:
I'd volunteer for moderation myself, except I would get distracted and wander off at bad moments.
Share the job perhaps? You've had some experience running one of these that works.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Share the job perhaps? You've had some experience running one of these that works.
I have experience in being in one, not running them. But I don't see any huge reason why not.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:I have experience in being in one, not running them. But I don't see any huge reason why not.
That's more than me.
God Emperor
Jedi Knight

Post by God Emperor »

I would like to join, and I have very little experience.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Welcome
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'd quite like to be in one, either with my anthropomorphised orange species, and perhaps an STGOD gnome thing, or as something new.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

I would love to join, I've always wanted to participate in one of these.

And Rye, Gnomes be mine! Arr! :P
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
PROMETHEUS
Youngling

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Chardok wrote:I read the STGOD thread in annoucements, but I still kinda don't get it....I'd like to participate in one, I like to think I have a vivid imagination, but again, still not clear, is it basically, you just make things up to loophole your way out of bad situations?
The Good Old Days is where you can do that. STGOD requires that you at least declare your general forces beforehand, so deus-ex-machina copouts are pretty much impossible. They can still be pulled off, but as I mentioned above people who do them tend to get bitchslapped by the other players.
"Mostly Harmless"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Thank you for the clarification. Have fun!