Just spent the last 30 mins racing some cracker script loser

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Stravo wrote:How vulnerable is someone who essentially has no protection save for anti-virus but usually only surfs this site and a few others when at home? I've been thinking about setting up a firewall now that I have cable but I'm uncertain how to go about doing that and what programs are good for a beginner.
Well, first off, what OS are you running? If it's Windows 95, 98 or ME you don't have to worry about this. If it's 2000 or XP, be worried. Very worried.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Statistics:
Aug 5: 30
Aug 6: 18
Aug 7: 1
Aug 8: 7
Aug 9: 26
Aug 10: 29
Aug 11: 154
Aug 12: 688
Aug 13: 455 //note today is not complete.

Will probably post attacks by hour by end of day.
Grep and sed are such cool tools.
Last edited by Pu-239 on 2003-08-13 05:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

He should still get a firewall anyways, in case future exploits are discovered.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Crayz9000 wrote:
Stravo wrote:How vulnerable is someone who essentially has no protection save for anti-virus but usually only surfs this site and a few others when at home? I've been thinking about setting up a firewall now that I have cable but I'm uncertain how to go about doing that and what programs are good for a beginner.
Well, first off, what OS are you running? If it's Windows 95, 98 or ME you don't have to worry about this. If it's 2000 or XP, be worried. Very worried.
Grreaaatt :x

Yeah I run XP and downloaded the latest security patches. But now this got me thinking about setting up a firewall. Are there any good ones out there that are downloadable or will I have to fork over some hard earned cash and by a good retail firewall program? If so any suggestions?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Stravo wrote:Yeah I run XP and downloaded the latest security patches. But now this got me thinking about setting up a firewall. Are there any good ones out there that are downloadable or will I have to fork over some hard earned cash and by a good retail firewall program? If so any suggestions?
Kerio is a good interim solution, but down the road (especially if you ever want to expand your network) you'll want to get a hardware firewall/router. A properly configured Linux box will serve that purpose nicely, but you need to know how to set it up before you consider that.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF