Headphones for PC

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Headphones for PC

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I'd like to buy a set of quality headphones to use at night with my computer, any recommendations?
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I used to have Jensen headphones, but they went out of business. Now I use Koss UR-20 headphones. They're okay if you don't want to spend $70+ for the top of the line.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I use Phillips SBC HP160. They're pretty good.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I got a pair of Panasonic stereo headphones, model RP-HT355 (back when I had a radio class). Quite good headphones - at least, before my sister started chewing on the cord.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

I got a pair of Koss UR-15C headphones from Wal-mart (my earbuds were going south because the wiring on the right bud was coming apart) for $17. They came with a pair of ear buds for free. The headphones are like the old stereo headphones from the 70's with the foam padding, which make for added comfort. The sound quality is about the same as my $20 Plantronic headset that I got from CompUSA 2 years ago. Apparently Koss has resolved the wiring issue mentioned above. Both the headphones and the earbuds have a lifetime warranty. (as did my earbuds, but I forgot about it at the time. :mrgreen: )

I highly recommend these headphones. :)
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Try www.headphone.com and www.head-fi.com . These are the so-called big sites for reviews and opinions.

Koss has plenty of awesome ones. Sennheiser and Grado too. How much are you willing to spend?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

What's your price range? We can make some good suggestions once we know that. Aerius also knows quite a bit about headphones.

Back when they were on sale (50% off), I purchased some Koss PortaPros for my siblings. They're wonderful, but a bit pricey at $50 apiece retail. The SportaPro uses the same driver but somewhat cheaper encloser and is $30.

EDIT: Headphone.com has a section on 'cheap headphones' as well, it'd be good to check that out.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I think "cheap" is a good price range.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

StarshipTitanic wrote:I think "cheap" is a good price range.
Well, then look on Headphone.com's "cheap" section :P
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

My Sony MDR-V6 headphones are worth every penny of the $75 I paid for them.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

An actual dollar figure would be needed here, because people like me tend to say that anything under 80 bucks is cheap when it comes to headphones.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:An actual dollar figure would be needed here, because people like me tend to say that anything under 80 bucks is cheap when it comes to headphones.
Yes, but you have a Gilmore amp and HD580s :P

/me desperately wants DT880s...
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

phongn wrote:Yes, but you have a Gilmore amp and HD580s :P

/me desperately wants DT880s...
Two Gilmore amps, HD580's and HD495's. Of course the Gilmore amps were DIY ones which cut the cost drastically, and I'm still stuck with a craptacular 2nd hand Panasonic CD/DVD player as my source.

It's only a matter of time before the DT880's fall into your hands, cash shortage is only a temporary cure for upgrade-itis :P
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

aerius wrote:
An actual dollar figure would be needed here, because people like me tend to say that anything under 80 bucks is cheap when it comes to headphones.
40, then, at the most.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sennheiser PX100 or HD457s would fit into that range, I think.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:Two Gilmore amps, HD580's and HD495's. Of course the Gilmore amps were DIY ones which cut the cost drastically, and I'm still stuck with a craptacular 2nd hand Panasonic CD/DVD player as my source.

It's only a matter of time before the DT880's fall into your hands, cash shortage is only a temporary cure for upgrade-itis :P
I actually don't have any headphones other than some earbud Sennheiser MX300s at the moment, which aren't so great. I'll hve to be content with my Axiom M3ti speakers driven via my Rotel amp :D

Eventually I'll get some good headphones ... my NAD preamp should be able to drive them effectively as well. DT880s would be damn nice, though :)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've got some KOSS SB-40s (great headphones with a swing down mic - perfect for OFP, America's Army, Ghost Recon and Raven Shield multiplayer). The sound quality is absofuckinglutely spectacular, the headphones are comfortable and the cord is hugely long.

The price tag is pretty high though. I paid 150 Australian for them. But I haven't regretted it once.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

weemadando wrote:The price tag is pretty high though. I paid 150 Australian for them. But I haven't regretted it once.
Hrm, Amazon.com has them for $25.95 US...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

phongn wrote:
weemadando wrote:The price tag is pretty high though. I paid 150 Australian for them. But I haven't regretted it once.
Hrm, Amazon.com has them for $25.95 US...
This was also 2 years ago.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ahh, now it makes sense. Koss tends to reduce their prices on headphones over time (well, not on all their stuff, but I digress).
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Koss UR15

Heres a picture of the one I recommended earlier in the thread.

Dress thy links - Phong
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

DRESS THY LINK! :?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, it would appear that in the act of pulling out the headphones (accidentally) today I've loosed the connection between them and my GTXP box. Time for surgery.

Damn it. Damn it to hell.