Mario vs Sonic

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Mario vs Sonic

Post by thecreech »

Ok it is the battle of the video game Icons. I have come up with several situations for them to fight in. I have given them items from their games which last and act like they do on there games(Super speed boots only last for a short while. Flower power lasts until mario gets hit) and they are considered to take a hit like they do in their games (ie Sonic gets hit rings fly everwhere. Mario gets hit he just shrinks)

1. Mario with a mushroom power up vs. Sonic with 25 rings

2.Mario with flower power vs. Sonic with shield bubble

3.Mario with Cape vs Sonic with super speed boots

4.Mario with Starpower vs Sonic with Chaos emerald power

5. Royle Rumble: Mario, Luigi, toad, and princess vs. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and amy

EDIT: Changed Racoon Tail to Cape for mario
Last edited by thecreech on 2003-08-08 05:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

1. Sonic

2. Sonic

3. Sonic

4. Sonic

5. Tails
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Do you ever here that sonic and tail where suppose to be in Super Smash bros. Melee as secret characters. It was a cruel joke by the game magazine EGM telling their reader that they could unlock sonic and tail by beating the game on very hard with out continuing and beating it under 10 minutes or something like that. I thought it was pretty funny, but i think it would be cool if they were in it
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Number 3 is up for grabs. Unless the Raccoon tail doesn't let you fly.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

The Raccoon tail lets you fly, but I don't know for how far.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Only time I can think of is Mario with flowers to shoot Sonic (assuming he's not hit before the second fireball is off, and he can hit at all...they aren't that fast) and the tail, if he's fast enough to whack him (and Sonic comes straight at him, not in Spinning mode, which would be more debatable).

Otherwise, Sonic is too fast to jump on. And I'm not sure that wouldn't hurt Mario anyway, with Sonic's spikes.

A few Spin Dashes into Mario and it's all over.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Mario's Spin Jump would probably protect him from Sonic's spikes, but my guess is that they'd simply bounce off each other. If Mario somehow managed to land on Sonic.

Why'd you leave out the Cape?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Why'd you leave out the Cape?
Racoon tail and cape function the same way pretty much but i will change it to cape. Because the cape lets him fly and the Racoon tail only lets him float right? I will change it to cape
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

thecreech wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:Why'd you leave out the Cape?
Racoon tail and cape function the same way pretty much but i will change it to cape. Because the cape lets him fly and the Racoon tail only lets him float right? I will change it to cape
He flies with both. So there's not too much difference. Unless you mean the full suit and not just the tail.

I think he can still fly with it (what's the name? Punbi or something?), but he can also become a statue.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

The leaf (raccoon power-up) only lets you fly for a short period of time (less than 30 seconds). The feather (cape) lets you fly for significantly longer, and also lets you continue gliding by tapping the controls with correct timing; you can fly for an entire area if you do it right, not doable with the leaf (where you can only slow your descent instead of rising higher). The Tanuki suit is identical in function to the leaf, except that Mario can also turn into an invincible statue. The P-Wing is also like the leaf, but with infinite flying time and no need to run to take off.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Also, if you use the Tanooki suit to turn into a statue in mid-air, you do more damage when you land than a normal jump would. Not sure if that would be a factor in this.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

Well i guess the fight is pretty much over. Sonics wins for the most part. I was just curious what you guys thought. Got in an argument with a guy over #4. I guess i should try and find a better match up
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Well, just for fun, take a look at this. It's kinda on topic.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

Datana wrote:Well, just for fun, take a look at this. It's kinda on topic.
I liked that. Pretty funny
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

About #4...

Is that Hyper-Sonic or Super Sonic?

And how long will his rings last before running out? Before or after Mario loses the star?

thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

RogueIce wrote:About #4...

And how long will his rings last before running out? Before or after Mario loses the star?
He has to have at least 100 rings to get in that form and the count down is one ring per second so it will last 100 seconds well after mario loses his star
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

thecreech wrote:
RogueIce wrote:About #4...

He has to have at least 100 rings to get in that form and the count down is one ring per second so it will last 100 seconds well after mario loses his star
Bye bye Mario.

I thought it was only 50. At least in 3 and S&K it was, IIRC (because after I jumped in the big ring, it gave me 50 and I could do the Hyper/Super Sonic).

Or is this the Sonic from Sonic 2?

Though, to be fair, if you're using the cape for Mario (Super Mario World is numero 4, more or less) Sonic should get S&K power (since that's Sonic numero 4 as well).

He has to be at least Sonic 3, though, if Mario gets as much as the Leaf.

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Sonic needs 50 rings to go Super Sayjin(come one, we all know thats what it is).

Usually people consider a Sonic vs Mario situation really one sided, and a lot of it depends on which game mechanic we use. Sonic spines are powerful, but until the most resent games, he was really bad at close combat. Mario is strong enough to smash blocks of bricks with his bare hands and throw a turtle 4 or 5 times his size across a large platform, and jump about as high as Sonic asuming equal sizes, higher if he does a back flip or wall jump, and again assuming equal sizes, Mario can accually acclerate faster than Sonic can(dead stop to running, not using the Charge Spin thing)
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

anarchistbunny wrote:Usually people consider a Sonic vs Mario situation really one sided, and a lot of it depends on which game mechanic we use. Sonic spines are powerful, but until the most resent games, he was really bad at close combat. Mario is strong enough to smash blocks of bricks with his bare hands and throw a turtle 4 or 5 times his size across a large platform, and jump about as high as Sonic asuming equal sizes, higher if he does a back flip or wall jump, and again assuming equal sizes, Mario can accually acclerate faster than Sonic can(dead stop to running, not using the Charge Spin thing)
Sonic bad at close combat? He could jump on them, which is what Mario mostly does anyway. Difference being he kills and destroys robots, while Mario can't get through a turtle shell (except with the spin jump in SMW).

Mario has an advantage in the fireballs me thinks, but I think Sonic can dodge them (they can't shoot up, just bounce on the ground, so jumping a lot should be enough).

I think a tail/cape gives Mario his best edge, aside from the Super Star (but Sonic gets Super Sonic anyway in this thread, and I think that lasts longer than a star).

McNum
Padawan Learner

Post by McNum »

In the first one Mario is at a disadvantedge power-up wise. The Mushroom allows for one extra hit while the 25 rings can be caught again and again leaving Sonic with nearly unlimited health as long as he can catch at least one. Sonic takes this one.

Number two has Fire Flower vs. Shield Bubble. I may be wrong, but the Bubble makes Sonic invulnerable to lesser projectiles, right? Power wise that would include Mario's fireballs. It would again be down to physical combat and I don't think Mario can take the pure battle. Sonic is too fast.

The third has Mario at the advantedge. Sonic may be even faster, but the shoes wear off. Mario can stay in the air for as long as he wants with the cape and could easily wait out Sonic and dive bomb him (with his head!). Of course Sonic could be smart enogh and use his speed to run away. So draw or Mario wins.

Invulnerable Mario vs. Super Sonic is a fun one. Too bad for Mario that A: His invulnerablilty power-up runs out first and B: Super Sonic is even faster than regular Sonic. Mario loses because he can't play keep-away long enough.

The royal rumble is interesting.

Mario and Luigi is mostly the same in power and speed. Luigi seems to be the better jumper, though. Toad can't really do much on his own unless he has his bazooka... Peach could be trouble. She has the ability to float and throws a mean vegetable. Depending on game she can also either use Toad as a counter attack or have healing magic.

Sonic and Tails work excellent together (as long as Sonic is not showing off) and would give that team the needed air support. Knuckles can punch through stone walls and has a limited glide. I'm not sure about Amy. Haven't played the Adventure series.

Anyway Mario and Luigi would be the front line fighters for Team Mario. Peach would stay behind and keep them alive. Team Sonic would take to the air and attack from above. Most likely they'll go for Peach. Maybe Sonic is too cool to hit a girl, but Knuckles on the other hand... With Peach down I don't think Mario and Luigi would last for too long. They're beat in running by Sonic, they can't go higher than Tails, and they can't outfight Knuckles. Team Sonic wins. Amy and Toad you ask? I have no idea, but I don't think they would make much difference. Unless Toad had his bazooka... He might just shoot down Tails...
I'm the Randomly Chosen One!
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

RogueIce wrote:Sonic bad at close combat? He could jump on them,
I said until recently, but his jumping attacks are hard to aim, especial at high speeds, but now he has homing attacks and sommersaults.
which is what Mario mostly does anyway.
He fights, punches and kicks, which can smash apart bricks as big as he is.
Difference being he kills and destroys robots, while Mario can't get through a turtle shell (except with the spin jump in SMW).
A turtle shell that can slide accross lava and not be damaged. And his Jump-Smash attack can break them.
Mario has an advantage in the fireballs me thinks, but I think Sonic can dodge them (they can't shoot up, just bounce on the ground, so jumping a lot should be enough).
Mario can jump and shoot and avoid sonic while he continues to pelt him with fire, since Sonic doesn't have a ranged attack.
I think a tail/cape gives Mario his best edge, aside from the Super Star (but Sonic gets Super Sonic anyway in this thread, and I think that lasts longer than a star).
Accually I think the best advantage would be flying cap, but its not included in any of the senerios.

I think Mario could do it, and I think Sonic could do it, depending on what they have and what tactics they use, I just made that post because I don't agree that Sonic vs Mario is a one sided fight for Sonic.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Solamnus
Youngling

Post by Solamnus »

I' m sorry, you all have it wrong. Mario is the Mac Daddy and dances really well and leaves with Amy. Sonic, confused, has no clue what just happened and thus he loses.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Just asking...what Sonic and what Mario are we talking about?

"Until recently" has cropped up, but from what I inferred (with the raccoon tail being a weapon) he wouldn't be beyond Super Mario 3 ability-wise.

So, what game(s) are we taking this from?

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

www.videogamedc.com

Site that Newgrounds video is from.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.