[STGOD-I][RFD] Restart Data.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Jupiter and Venus were the two senior senshi [e.g. born in the 20th Century CE] remaining at the time of Halite.
Damn, so you're down to just Venus and the lesser senshi, now?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Is this an open STGOD?? Or do we need to PM someone to join???
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Darksider wrote:Is this an open STGOD?? Or do we need to PM someone to join???
Wide open.
--The Lord Humungus
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Well, since i'm using the KSE in the SD.net STGOD Mk. 1 Redux, i guess i'll re-use the NKSE from the Mk. 2 STGOD (Basically the same thing with different names, i'm a lazy bastard.)
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
phongn wrote:Jupiter and Venus were the two senior senshi [e.g. born in the 20th Century CE] remaining at the time of Halite.
Damn, so you're down to just Venus and the lesser senshi, now?
Venus is the only one surviving from the 20th left. The rest are all newbie solar senshi or lesser senshi. I think Ms. Aino is probably going to snap one of these days.

EDIT: Functionally, this means the Star Kingdom has lost a huge portion of the Royal Navy, has lost a huge portion of her economy - which is being rebuilt via trade and the fact that the Nemesis Gate is cheap to use - has lost a lot of their champions, etc. If that's no powering down, I'm not sure what is.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Venus is the only one surviving from the 20th left. The rest are all newbie solar senshi or lesser senshi. I think Ms. Aino is probably going to snap one of these days.
God help us all. Well, I'll be continuing my story arc of this grand old game via a new host. Though I'm certain that the Outsiders will not appear, I can't count out the other involved parties. :P
EDIT: Functionally, this means the Star Kingdom has lost a huge portion of the Royal Navy, has lost a huge portion of her economy - which is being rebuilt via trade and the fact that the Nemesis Gate is cheap to use - has lost a lot of their champions, etc. If that's no powering down, I'm not sure what is.
Ouch. I think that if the GPF hadn't been themselves ravaged by the Robotech Masters they would have found this post-war society a lot more survivable.
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The only group to survive relatively unscathed is the Lost, it seems, and they're fighting a battle against Zerg. This will put a definate limit on ships sent to the Mainline.

I'm thinking of mostly ISD/L's(Think an Imperator modified to hold interdictor wells and some new drive units), with some Eclipse's and Executors. A single Naggarok will be on call, of course, but that'll likely only be used for Acts Of Plot.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:God help us all. Well, I'll be continuing my story arc of this grand old game via a new host. Though I'm certain that the Outsiders will not appear, I can't count out the other involved parties.
Not that she was sane in the first place, but yeah, she'll be snapping.

Slightly OT: I actually considered this a bit. I read one very short fanfic involving a massive war with Crystal Tokyo - who was, essentially, sending on their senshi to perform the Ultimate Attack. Someone poor kid would get "chosen" next and sent to die. The fic ended when twins who had Saturn's power showed up (both under 10), breaking the cycle.
Ouch. I think that if the GPF hadn't been themselves ravaged by the Robotech Masters they would have found this post-war society a lot more survivable.
Probably.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
My outline includes no drop in technology, and with the ICS, there is no need for it. The general destruction eliminates all of the ships you have complaints against, anyway, and, ah, they "won't be coming back."
Then I likely wont be joining, it has been my understanding form theb eggining that technolgoy would be pushed down.

Certainly not if you persist with your unworkable planetary destruction limit. Unless you intend to create a list and map of all worlds which cannot have there biosphere destroyed, something which has still not been quantified, it will not work. And it will still be ceding an advantage to people who have heavily developed home worlds as they will be unassailable. People will not drop down firepower, then the defender needs only field a Bolo and sweep them away. And with everything heavily shielded orbital strikes will just blow the atmosphere off the plane.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Then I likely wont be joining, it has been my understanding form theb eggining that technolgoy would be pushed down.
It has been in "effective terms" by the destruction--this is, contextually, a bit like Three Kingdoms China or something; we're seeing a widespread collapse of civilization. We are not, however, seeing any OOC press-down of the tech level. It's just happening naturally on its own because the resources are no longer there to support it, at least for now.
Certainly not if you persist with your unworkable planetary destruction limit. Unless you intend to create a list and map of all worlds which cannot have there biosphere destroyed, something which has still not been quantified, it will not work. And it will still be ceding an advantage to people who have heavily developed home worlds as they will be unassailable. People will not drop down firepower, then the defender needs only field a Bolo and sweep them away. And with everything heavily shielded orbital strikes will just blow the atmosphere off the plane.
Probably between 20-30 million worlds per galaxy I'd assume; all the natural life-bearing planets.

Finesse, Sea Skimmer, Finesse. There are ways to defeat planetary shielding without destroying a planet--remember the old Imperial Torpedo Spheres? (Hell, I suspect once word of this gets out any of those remaining will be going for very high prices.) Planetary shields can be brought down without large-scale planetary devastation.

Bolos are certainly powerful weapons but they are also relatively easy targets for precision bombardment by warships easily capable of handling hellbore fire; and once such defences are gone, large-scale landings can take place.

It just requires a complex and careful effort to take the planet intact, but one that is not impossible, not against anything in the STGOD except the Universe Shields, which are as it has been pointed out, limited to the same historical two planets.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Stormbringer wrote:I'm not going to be joining this STGOD.
Are you sure? There are places for pure-technological powers if that's the thing of it.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Are you sure? There are places for pure-technological powers if that's the thing of it.
Perhaps. But I'm still trying to sort out whose who. Plus I'm not too keen on leaping into what was the ASVS STGOD. If I had more idea what's going on I'd be more inclined.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

There's a record of it at the ASVS fanfic archive, but it will take you a while to sift through it all

(I've been reading through it all day and i'm still only at the "Troll invasion" story arc)
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

If there were any sort of summary I'd read it. But I'd rather not do that much prep work for an STGOD. Especially since I'm trying to start the Honorverse one and am invovled in STGOD1 Redux
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Stormbringer wrote:If there were any sort of summary I'd read it. But I'd rather not do that much prep work for an STGOD. Especially since I'm trying to start the Honorverse one and am invovled in STGOD1 Redux

Same here, although it was entertaining to read at first, it's quickly becoming tedious. i really wish someone could summerize what happned.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It has been in "effective terms" by the destruction--this is, contextually, a bit like Three Kingdoms China or something; we're seeing a widespread collapse of civilization. We are not, however, seeing any OOC press-down of the tech level. It's just happening naturally on its own because the resources are no longer there to support it, at least for now.
I don't see it happening with people talking about keep "just one" of such and such uber ship that will wipe the floor with everything else in the galaxy.

Finesse, Sea Skimmer, Finesse. There are ways to defeat planetary shielding without destroying a planet--remember the old Imperial Torpedo Spheres?
Yup, after blowing a tiny hole in the shield they fire down a barrage of capital grade turbolasers, you know the 200 gigaton weapons, a single shot from which would have global climate impact?

(Hell, I suspect once word of this gets out any of those remaining will be going for very high prices.) Planetary shields can be brought down without large-scale planetary devastation.
Except for the big glowing craters where each of the generators once was.

Bolos are certainly powerful weapons but they are also relatively easy targets for precision bombardment by warships easily capable of handling hellbore fire; and once such defences are gone, large-scale landings can take place.
Unless they shelter under the remaining shields. And if there are no shields then your conceding victory to whoever controls orbit with no ground fighting taking place. Real fun.

It just requires a complex and careful effort to take the planet intact, but one that is not impossible, not against anything in the STGOD except the Universe Shields, which are as it has been pointed out, limited to the same historical two planets.
Your own arguments say otherwise since you expect the planet to be seized after repeated multi Teraton barrages. They wont kill all life but they will alter the biosphere, which is why I also asked by a more precise quantification of "destroyer" from the very beginning.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Sea Skimmer wrote:
I don't see it happening with people talking about keep "just one" of such and such uber ship that will wipe the floor with everything else in the galaxy.
They can talk, but their fleet lists have to pass through moderatorial approval. There may be a few such ships left--but the construction infrastructure is gone. (And that means, of course, that only the established "heavies" could have them, anyway, following the tradition of letting experienced players have more powerful fleets.)

Yup, after blowing a tiny hole in the shield they fire down a barrage of capital grade turbolasers, you know the 200 gigaton weapons, a single shot from which would have global climate impact?
Severe, but not enough to wipe out the biosphere.

Except for the big glowing craters where each of the generators once was.
See above. You can mess around with the planet--wipe out their version of the dinosaurs, even--but destroying the functional biosphere is the no-no. Which will be a judgement call based on how big of a headache you give the planetary spirit, mostly (or, in this case, the moderator).

Unless they shelter under the remaining shields. And if there are no shields then your conceding victory to whoever controls orbit with no ground fighting taking place. Real fun.
Well, bring down a VSD to duel with them from ground level. You can surely think of something. More creative than that, no doubt, to get your troops on the surface.

Your own arguments say otherwise since you expect the planet to be seized after repeated multi Teraton barrages. They wont kill all life but they will alter the biosphere, which is why I also asked by a more precise quantification of "destroyer" from the very beginning.
My apologies. I meant something that eliminates the ability of the planet to sustain its native life.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Darksider wrote:

Same here, although it was entertaining to read at first, it's quickly becoming tedious. i really wish someone could summerize what happned.
You mean like the whole history of the STGODs?

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Pablo Sanchez wrote: EDIT:
We're also reducing character power levels this time. Probably because the general devastation and widespread magic use plus the extra-universal traipsing about reduced the amount of mana in the Universe (or some other such story)
No, it's on account of the fact that most of the high-level characters are dead. Halite is still--reputedly--alive, and could in theory regain her earlier prominence by sucking up planetary populations again (though that would quickly let people know where she is). Evil Wilkins is actually the most powerful of the old ones still alive AFAIK, unless you could others like yourself and Graeme who are marked with a ? mark.
That only applies to the uber mortals? I hope so, because I'd like to keep Enigma and also Edward Nigma (the ass regenerator).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Darksider wrote:

You mean like the whole history of the STGODs?
Just the one that's getting a Redux
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Correct. The I.R.S. is a pure tech based empire with some Force- powered people. BTW, I'm changing the I.R.S.'s name to the Mafiosi.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Almost every world I control is going to be a colony world, inhabited by little or nothing before the arrival of New Crobuzon colony ships.

Does that mean that all my worlds are viable targets?

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Thirdfain wrote:Almost every world I control is going to be a colony world, inhabited by little or nothing before the arrival of New Crobuzon colony ships.

Does that mean that all my worlds are viable targets?
Only if the worlds were terraformed and didn't have natural biospheres when colonized.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I'm most likely the one being called on the having 'Just one' of the old guard.. But certainly the status of the Lost as Marina wrote it is of Byzantium as the Dark Ages were going on. It remains largely intact, though battling enemy hordes far away, having almost nothing to monitor the goings on of the Mainline.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They can talk, but their fleet lists have to pass through moderatorial approval. There may be a few such ships left--but the construction infrastructure is gone. (And that means, of course, that only the established "heavies" could have them, anyway, following the tradition of letting experienced players have more powerful fleets.)
So they get not only unstoppable ships but also ones no one can ever match? A uber battleship that outmanuvers starfighters and blows up death stars isn't giveing someone a morep owerful fleet, its giving them a couple extra ones.

Severe, but not enough to wipe out the biosphere.
One generator for every 10,000 square kilometers and several teratons impacting on each one will come pretty damn close

See above. You can mess around with the planet--wipe out their version of the dinosaurs, even--but destroying the functional biosphere is the no-no. Which will be a judgement call based on how big of a headache you give the planetary spirit, mostly (or, in this case, the moderator).
Great so for every invasion it thrown to the mod.
Well, bring down a VSD to duel with them from ground level. You can surely think of something. More creative than that, no doubt, to get your troops on the surface.
VSD can't pass through the shield, I'd need my own uber tank with equally great firepower to go through the shield and do battle and throw around multi.... wait what was the point of all this again?

My apologies. I meant something that eliminates the ability of the planet to sustain its native life.
And yet we can exterminate countless major species and fill the stratosphere with ash, so if I kill the species first and then destroy the planets ability to support it doesn't count? And I'm still waiting for an answer on why any of this is necessary when we have a hundred million planets in the game.