[STGOD] info poll 1 - tech level

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tech Level of new STGOD

Near Modern
10%
The Race
5%
Star Trek
5%
Honorverse
35%
Star Wars
45%

Total votes: 20

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

[STGOD] info poll 1 - tech level

Post by Crayz9000 »

Alright, so it seems that I'm about the only one who's volunteered to do moderator duties and help Phong out.

So, there are a few things I just want to iron out first before we even lay out the guidelines. The first question is what tech level do you guys want to have?
  1. Near-modern: 100 megaton strategic missiles, moderately powerful lasers, railguns, no shields, no FTL propulsion or communications
  2. Race-level: Weaponry as above, no shields, but limited FTL propulsion and communications
  3. Star Trek-level: 200 megaton missiles, powerful lasers, shields, weak cloaking devices and sensors, 2000c FTL drives and comms
  4. Honorverse-level: Same as Star Trek, but with more powerful weapons and defenses
  5. Star Wars-level: Teraton weapons, powerful shields, strong cloaking devices and sensors, 2,000,000 c FTL drives and comms
If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add it in.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Unless he said something to you, phongn isn't a part of this. And to people not at least considering joining the latest STGOD, DONT VOTE
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

If we are, as Straha said, doing this as a continuation of the old STGOD, it would pretty much have to be Trek level or better. It was supposedly DS9 level but we were all a bit higher than that.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Honorverse seems pretty close to what we did have, or at least, most of us...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

I think honor verse sounds good. I have a question: will the mode of FTL leave long lasting trails or is that up to the empire. Also can one use momentum while in FTL, IE not leaving a drive tail?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Ok, a clarification: it DOES NOT have to be from the example universe. That is only to give you an idea of the technical capabilities. You can make up your own technology or adapt tech from other universes as long as it fits within the guidelines.
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Crayz9000 wrote:Ok, a clarification: it DOES NOT have to be from the example universe. That is only to give you an idea of the technical capabilities. You can make up your own technology or adapt tech from other universes as long as it fits within the guidelines.
Good, because I hate the idea of combat being dominated by hoards of missiles that can only be stopped by a specific type of shield, and that's what understanding of what Honorverse combat is.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Crayz9000 wrote:Ok, a clarification: it DOES NOT have to be from the example universe. That is only to give you an idea of the technical capabilities. You can make up your own technology or adapt tech from other universes as long as it fits within the guidelines.
Assuming that was addressed to me, I thought that, my question was asking: is it alright to have your FTL drive system mostly undetectable after the fact. I am thinking that I'll have a hyperspace rather like B5's, with a some what chaotic space that would scatter particles emitted form my drives; which would be the same ones used in Real Space. Except for the hyperspace opener of course. How does this sound with every body?

PS: I have no Idea what honorverse is, so I was basing my vote off just what Crayz9000 said.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Everyone should use the same FTL drive, what ever it turns out to be.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, there are different ways to balance things out without making everyone use the same FTL drive systems. So if someone has a stealthier FTL drive, then maybe they can't use cloaking devices. Or something like that... I'll have to figure out the exact way to balance things once the force declarations etc have been posted.

I'm trying to keep this as flexible as possible, because if I structure it too much, then you might as well be playing a staged wargame. And that's not really what STGOD is about.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Honorverse sounds good to me.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Everyone should use the same FTL drive, what ever it turns out to be.
How about the FTL is based around gate structures, controlled by the Mod? That way, if a player starts powergaming, the mod can cut off their transport capabilities.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Setzer wrote: How about the FTL is based around gate structures, controlled by the Mod? That way, if a player starts powergaming, the mod can cut off their transport capabilities.
Gates are far too vulnerable to work in my opinion.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2003-08-02 03:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Setzer wrote: How about the FTL is based around gate structures, controlled by the Mod? That way, if a player starts powergaming, the mod can cut off their transport capabilities.
Gates are stupid and far too vulnerable to work in my opinion.
Why should everyone use the same FTL, BTW? That just strikes me as silly when the point of an STGOD is to be creative.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
Why should everyone use the same FTL, BTW? That just strikes me as silly when the point of an STGOD is to be creative.
So that we don't get the same arguments over how they work and what would affect them that we had in the first STGOD.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
So that we don't get the same arguments over how they work and what would affect them that we had in the first STGOD.
Now I suddenly remember why I preferred the ASVS STGOD's... Tell me, was this the same as the arguments that I shouldn't be able to have effective cloaks, including claiming I was some kind of powergamer from actions that oh.. No one ever objected to when they happened?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
Now I suddenly remember why I preferred the ASVS STGOD's... Tell me, was this the same as the arguments that I shouldn't be able to have effective cloaks, including claiming I was some kind of powergamer from actions that oh.. No one ever objected to when they happened?
No not really. I don't really care if we end up with a dozen different systems once again, but for simplicity I'd prefer variations of one method everyone is familiar with.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
No not really
Less or more?

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
Less or more?
less so
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Well to avoid arguments, we could use different FTL systems, but we would need to figure out, what would affect each. Univversal FTL inhibitors frankly I think are power gaming... But if you have different counter measures to different tyes of FTL(I intend on using B5 hyperspace for example) You could dissrupt the jumpoint, and may even destroy my ships if they cant pull out... However, that would not work against hyperdrive... warp or others. And you would have counter measures based on who you have the most contact with.(cant develope a counter measure for an FTL method you havent studied)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:*snip*
That works for me, and I also intend on using B5 hyperspace minis the need to keep your engines on though out.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Hmm... this should be fun... hehe Dont go off becon :twisted:
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Alright, here's my solution to the problems:

Hyperdrive: One faster "universal system" and a bunch of other systems with less speed.

Light Speed Inhibitors: Each one blocks the universal system, but they must be aligned to get the other systems.

Cloaking: Cloaks themselves are expensive, thus preventing cloaked fleets except where it would be your National advantage. They are also only detectable by an expensive (thus also preventing mass deployment, and turning cloaks into worthless garbage) sensor system, which would require a large area to base themselves.

I have an Idea for a Guild (fromDune) like entity for the mod, but that would only be if we made B5 Hyperspace the universal system.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

A hyperspace guild that can cut off jumpgates?

That doesnt deal with ships that have independant jump drives...

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:A hyperspace guild that can cut off jumpgates?

That doesnt deal with ships that have independant jump drives...
The Idea I had was that "the Guild" had control over the fastest way to get around, thus giving them a commercial and slight military input.