Linux, JPEGs and other related crap

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Pu-239 wrote:Using .txt trick when not inlining pics is worse than useless, since one then has to go through the trouble of right clicking, saving, then renaming, then displaying, instead of just copy and pasting into URL bar, since it just attempts to display as text.

Anyways, here's mine:
http: //www.geocities.com/jhnphm/screenshot3.png
Copy and paste, remove space after http:

If it doesn't work the first time, hit [Enter] in url bar again, or try again with ? after .png
THANK YOU!!! Forgive me for highlighting it so much, but I'm sick and fucking tired of idiots doing that! Funny thing is, it almost never happens here. But try telling that to Spacebattles...

Anyways you and Phong's desktops are fucking 31337! :D

EDIT: fixed a stupid typo...
Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I usually don't have my desktop like that, but I decided to play around for the screenshot.

There's an XTerm running with an SSH tunnel into my laptop (which stores my email and is elsewhere in the house at the moment). My [legal] DVD rip of Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 is running in ZoomPlayer Standard underneath the terminal. The translucent application is an SFTP client to upload the image, next to it is GAIM (AIM, MSNIM, ICQ, YIM) and below all of that is Ximian Evolution running via XFree86 from my laptop.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

phongn wrote:I usually don't have my desktop like that, but I decided to play around for the screenshot.

There's an XTerm running with an SSH tunnel into my laptop (which stores my email and is elsewhere in the house at the moment). My [legal] DVD rip of Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 is running in ZoomPlayer Standard underneath the terminal. The translucent application is an SFTP client to upload the image, next to it is GAIM (AIM, MSNIM, ICQ, YIM) and below all of that is Ximian Evolution running via XFree86 from my laptop.
I noticed you also have a Windows XP Silver skin on your DE. Is that KDE, GNOME, or what? Plus what type of Linux are you using?
Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

No, my computer runs Windows XP Professional using a third-party skin called Watercolor XP.

My laptop runs RedHat Linux 9, usually in GNOME.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

You can interlace JPGs ?

That's his windows desktop, with linux apps running with Remote X. Why else would he have a spyware remover :P ?

Also, he's probably using his video driver's translucency feature for that translucent FTP, which I believe is not available on X (though it is on DirectFB , which is useless since no NV drivers for that, though some ATI, plus QT isn't ported). My translucent terminal is fake :P , the reason why I can't place windows under it.

I minimized everything on my desktop when taking the screenshot, except the terminal, which I was using to remove the useless(ugly) Acrobat reader from the system (unantialiased motif apps are exceedingly ugly).

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

phongn wrote:No, my computer runs Windows XP Professional using a third-party skin called Watercolor XP.

My laptop runs RedHat Linux 9, usually in GNOME.
Oh oops. :oops:

I saw all the GNU/GPL/OSS stuff (Shadow Tech to any M$ employee with a Fiver bent) on your desktop and assumed a clever skin job on KDE...
Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Microsoft uses Linux internally, probably with a bunch of OSS stuff, so it's hardly Shadowtech. Also, for years Hotmail ran FreeBSD - only when W2K came along could they make a transition.

As for interlacing, no. It's called a "progressive JPEG." It's rarely used these days, but back in the infancy of the World Wide Web it was heavily used. It usually increases the file size (in exchange for letting you progressively see more and more of the image) but in this case it actually decreased it, oddly enough.

Terminal transparency (normally) under both Windows and Linux are cheats (e.g. figure out where they are in relation to the wallpaper and render accordingly). However, XFree86 on Cygwin supports transparency, so you can do it that way (a bit slow, though).

And while Motif is ugly and not anti-aliased, it is damn fast (Xnview still uses it too) :D
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

phongn wrote:Microsoft uses Linux internally, probably with a bunch of OSS stuff, so it's hardly Shadowtech. Also, for years Hotmail ran FreeBSD - only when W2K came along could they make a transition.
Fuckin typical pigopolist hypocrites... :evil:
phongn wrote:As for interlacing, no. It's called a "progressive JPEG." It's rarely used these days, but back in the infancy of the World Wide Web it was heavily used. It usually increases the file size (in exchange for letting you progressively see more and more of the image) but in this case it actually decreased it, oddly enough.

Progressive Jay Peggs are fucking evil. Even on a cable connection they always load at least three to five times longer than a normal jay pegg. As for it being rare, I still find them all too often. Plus you're right about the filesize being bigger, but most of 'em are badly compressed so despite looking like shit are still fucking huge...
phongn wrote:Terminal transparency (normally) under both Windows and Linux are cheats (e.g. figure out where they are in relation to the wallpaper and render accordingly). However, XFree86 on Cygwin supports transparency, so you can do it that way (a bit slow, though).

And while Motif is ugly and not anti-aliased, it is damn fast (Xnview still uses it too) :D
LOL!
Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Fuckin typical pigopolist hypocrites... :evil:
Whatever it takes to get the job done. What company would tell you to use the competitor's product if they had something in direct competition, anyways?
Progressive Jay Peggs are fucking evil. Even on a cable connection they always load at least three to five times longer than a normal jay pegg. As for it being rare, I still find them all too often. Plus you're right about the filesize being bigger, but most of 'em are badly compressed so despite looking like shit are still fucking huge...
If they're taking that long to render something is wrong. I have no problems with them on my end. And yes, most people do not understand how to properly compress images.