3E sorceror/wizard arsenal of spells

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shrykull
Jedi Master

3E sorceror/wizard arsenal of spells

Post by Shrykull »

Ok, this is perfectly legal right? Gold Dragons are basically this since they have inborn spell ability AND study spellbooks. Just I suppose you'd have to keep the spells seperate some sorceror spells you can cast on the fly, and the others ones you have in your book, and I recall something about multiclass characters how you have to keep the levels almost the same, can't let one get 2 or 3 levels higher than the other, anyway, wouldn't a character like this just be Deadly deadly deadly, can cast like say 8 spells at first level with intelligence and charisma bonus's?
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Um....what? :?

I'm sorry, what are you trying to say, exactly? That dragons can be sorcerers and wizards?

Well, here's the thing: sorcerers are supposed to be distant dragon-spawn to start with, according to the fluff. So dragons would naturally have the abilities of sorcerers. Now, on top of that, they can learn spells as a wizard, essentially multiclassing. Since being a dragon makes them inherantly powerful sorcerers to begin with, they can also become wizards. In fact, all creatures in D&D can take character classes, including vampires, orcs, kobolds, or what have you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

Hotfoot wrote:Um....what? :?

I'm sorry, what are you trying to say, exactly? That dragons can be sorcerers and wizards?

Well, here's the thing: sorcerers are supposed to be distant dragon-spawn to start with, according to the fluff. So dragons would naturally have the abilities of sorcerers. Now, on top of that, they can learn spells as a wizard, essentially multiclassing. Since being a dragon makes them inherantly powerful sorcerers to begin with, they can also become wizards. In fact, all creatures in D&D can take character classes, including vampires, orcs, kobolds, or what have you.
That was exactly by point they have natural spellcasting ability and then some from study.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Shrykull wrote:That was exactly by point they have natural spellcasting ability and then some from study.
Their spellcasting abilities would be similar to cross-class mages. For additional spellcasting goodness, might as well throw in a few levels of bard and cleric just for the hell of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It's perfectly possible to cross-class as a Sorc/Wizard(The Symbul does this). The difficulty comes in keeping two lists of spells: Your wizards one can only be cast a certain number of times, and have to be pre-selected, whereas you know fewer ones as a Sorc. You don't get to learn a spell as a Wizard(Who know more spells overall), and cast it over and over as a Sorc.

A Sorc/Wizard is generally a lower-power damage dealer who can toss out more utility. A dangerous combo, since you're trading off spell selection/quantity for higher level power.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter