a new motherboard

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shrykull
Jedi Master

a new motherboard

Post by Shrykull »

I ordered a dell a little while ago that I'm using right now, only thing I forgot was to get one with an AGP slot, I called Dell and asked them if I could get a new motherboard, they said it wasn't possible (but I have to call back, it was an Indian woman who didn't speak good English) What would prevent me from getting a new motherboard, I mean there are basically three main parts of the computer- the case, the motherboard and the metal frames/frames inside the computer which hold the peripherals, all I can think of is perhaps the frame wouldn't allow to put in the new motherboard, or that the new motherboard wouldn't have the right ports where they line up, like the USB and parrallel ports etc. Even if Dell doesn't have a motherboard like that, there has to be someone who does, and whom I can get a new case for as well.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

While they probably have a technically valid point (hell if I would know, I'm a biologist, not a computer technician)...I too have a Dell, and I've found out that they don't always WANT to sell you parts. I once had a guy from Dell tell me that I couldn't add a 128 meg ram chip to my machine (which already had 128 megs in it), and that I would have to order a new computer from him because of 'compatibility issues'. Remember: they're salespeople. It took five minutes for me to quote him the exact make and brand of the part to get him to finally acquiesce and send it to me, amid protests of "But our new line up is SO much faster!".

That said...it's wise to get the advice of a technical professional you trust. You don't want to be in a position where you think you're getting a salesman's white lie and then order a part that you can't use.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There are some issues that you have to look out for - what form factor is it? Also, Dell power supplies have different pinouts than normal ones, so you'd have to get an adaptor.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

And this is why I never buy "brand name" computers. Better to just have your local computer shop assemble one for you, that way you don't have to worry about non-standard parts.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dell residential support is out-sourced, and it blows. The business end is still good though.

Replacing the Motherboard on a Dell (or any brand name PC) is difficult because they are all usually proprietary. If you just want a new motherboard, the main issue would be making sure all your other hardware is compatible. Any CPU,memory, HDD, CD-ROM, etc should have no problem going into a new MB, but you will probably have to buy a new case. Just make sure you find a motherboard that supports your CPU and RAM.

What kind of Dell is it? It may not even have support for a motherboard with AGP.