config.sys and linux

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shrykull
Jedi Master

config.sys and linux

Post by Shrykull »

I was reading the reasons Mike W was saying he hated windows, one of them being the registry which is pretty incomprehensible. I wondered does linux have something like the old dos config.sys file which you just put in the driver location and it loads it, it's that simple! I miss that file, wouldn't know how to locate my drivers in the registry, have to reinstall a driver for my HP print-scan-copy machine but don't know how really, even with device manager.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Linux does not have something like CONFIG.SYS to load drivers, IIRC. You use various tools to load and unload modules.

As for printers, CONFIG.SYS never defined them. You had to configure each and every application to use a particular printer and hope that the driver was included with that software (or at least something compatible).

In Windows, use the Printer control panel to install new printers or change their drivers (in the Properties of a printer there's usually an option somewhere to change, delete or add alternate drivers)