Why did Warcraft III fail?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Why did Warcraft III fail?

Post by Straha »

By fail I don't mean come out as a crappy vid game, I mean came out as a good game, but not a warcraft quality game, living up to the standards of Warcraft II. Talking with friends I started a short list, but I want to know what you guys think of the below.

Too few Races, or too many races-I flip on this every so often. Sometimes I think it should have been another Orc Vs. Human, other times I think it should have followed the original plan and gone with a eight races game.

No Navy- Alright, I loved the Navy in WCII in the multi-player games with my friends I always was the one with the huge navy that crushed all others, and it sucked for me to see in the Beta that there was no Navy to play with anymore. :cry:

Too RPG- This was the big one. Heroes are a good Idea. Making them the centerpiece of your army, where without one you're royally screwed, and making it so you had to manage their spells, items, and keep them alive while dealing with your other spell casters was not.

Bad Animation- Actually it was good animation, just unrealistic. I personally prefered WCII animation above the new style in WCIII.

Any Thoughts?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I pretty much pin it on that it's mostly create a strong hero...a guard around said hero...wash rinse repeat.

Very little deviation from that.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

It's like a squad-based Diablo, with really inefficient controls.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

There's a point to where it becomes humanly impractical to balance the races... and I think 8 races would have really pushed it. No, I think 4 races was a fine concept.

Naval forces seem to be an unpopular choice among RTS developers... Starcraft, Tiberian Sun, Warcraft 3, Generals... all of these have lacked naval units. Other implementations of navies have been generally skeletal (RA2, Earth 2150). I'm not sure what it is but the devs don't seem to be putting them in. I'm as disappointed as you are; I love a solid Navy to play with.

Frankly, the heroes are why I never really got into Warcraft 3; they epitomize the fascination and concentration on micromanagement that Blizzard seems to have developed. I loathe the concept of wandering around in Final Fantasy games, looking for random battles purely for the purporse of leveling up; Blizzard more or less implemented this into the multiplayer games (with those creatures hanging around the damn place) and so I never really took to the whole Hero idea.

And finally, in some areas the animation did seem almost comical at times, although that was really a non-issue for me. Just seemed weird sometimes.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

You know what really bummed me off too was that if they took out the roaming creatures bit, and the heroes. They would have a pretty solid game to make better by fixing animation (I mean the Knight's Icon was just SHIT) and adding a couple more units.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I hated the heroes in WC3. The game mechanics leading from this core design element crappified everything.

Example of bad hero-RTS:

WC3

Example of good hero-RTS:

Warlords Battlecry 2
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

JediNeophyte wrote:I hated the heroes in WC3. The game mechanics leading from this core design element crappified everything.

Example of bad hero-RTS:

WC3

Example of good hero-RTS:

Warlords Battlecry 2
I got Darklords Rising and I agree, it is a sweet game and they managed to balance the hero thing out fairly well.
lux
Padawan Learner

Post by lux »

I love the hero system in wc3. It wasn't supposed to be like SC, or WCII.
It's a different type of RTS. Some people like it (me), some people hate it with passion (JediNeophyte).

Without heroes there wouldn't be a Pandaren Brewmaster, and I would cry.

FOR PANDARIA!!
(''\(O_o)/'') For Pandaria! (''\(O_o)/'')

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

lux wrote:I love the hero system in wc3. It wasn't supposed to be like SC, or WCII.
It's a different type of RTS. Some people like it (me), some people hate it with passion (JediNeophyte).

FOR PANDARIA!!
I don't hate hero-centered RTSs, though I think they're a bit overdone and unoriginal at this point. I love WLBC2, it has a very solid hero system. WC3 does not.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

I love WCIII. TFT is icing on the cake IMO. Since I'm a fan of RPG's and RTS's, WCIII is "kewl" for me.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

W3 would feel more organic if ALL troops could get experience/levels and use items, instead of that being an ability reserved solely to the heroes, I think.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Iceberg wrote:W3 would feel more organic if ALL troops could get experience/levels and use items, instead of that being an ability reserved solely to the heroes, I think.
Yeah, like in WLBC2 :mrgreen:

lux
Padawan Learner

Post by lux »

I suggested that in Beta, but no one liked it.

That would just make it even more easy for micro Gods to pwn you in 1-6 minutes now that I think about it.

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

lux wrote:I suggested that in Beta, but no one liked it.

That would just make it even more easy for micro Gods to pwn you in 1-6 minutes now that I think about it.
Because of the deeper flaws in the design. Now don't get me wrong, I've always liked the WC series and loved WC2. But they built the hero system wrong, made it way too centralized and annoyingly complex (as opposed to interestingly complex) and as such they made the entire damn focus of the game on a set of limited and restrictive NPCs that you can micromanage around to min-max them best. This in turn destroyed what little semblance of tactics and established gameplay fundamentals existed in the RTS element.

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Kohan OWNZ J00
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Yes...Kohan is perfect. It is the perfect hero-based RTS. Period.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Never played any of the WC games so I can't say.
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
gravity
Padawan Learner

Post by gravity »

I wouldn't really call it a failure, especially since TFT has greatly helped the balance and greatly reduced the emphasis on creeping.
The main problem is the limitations of the small scale which basically force you to have one army that does everything, rather than being able to split up your forces and still have them be useful, and the (relative) lack of emphasis on map control/expansion, and to a lesser extent, the slow-paced combat/lack of "swingy" units (though the latter seems to have improved in TFT).
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

gravity wrote:I wouldn't really call it a failure, especially since TFT has greatly helped the balance and greatly reduced the emphasis on creeping.
The main problem is the limitations of the small scale which basically force you to have one army that does everything, rather than being able to split up your forces and still have them be useful, and the (relative) lack of emphasis on map control/expansion, and to a lesser extent, the slow-paced combat/lack of "swingy" units (though the latter seems to have improved in TFT).
Slightly OT, but this reminds of one of the few things C&C: Generals improves upon its predecessors, map control. My friend and I usually play no-superweapon games, so turtling is not really an option. With supply stashes and tech buildings, quick and decisive map control is a huge factor for victory.

lux
Padawan Learner

Post by lux »

JediNeophyte wrote:
Slightly OT, but this reminds of one of the few things C&C: Generals improves upon its predecessors, map control. My friend and I usually play no-superweapon games, so turtling is not really an option. With supply stashes and tech buildings, quick and decisive map control is a huge factor for victory.
Which is why you pwn me at C&C Generals, and I pwn you at WC3.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

lux wrote:I love the hero system in wc3. It wasn't supposed to be like SC, or WCII.

FOR PANDARIA!!
They added Pandaria? You know that may just be reason enough for me to buy the game...

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The low unit limit made heroes to important in WarIII. There are also too many spells to effectively mange and most games still are dominated by single unit type hoards. The lack of naval units was annoying, but Frozen Throne has added some back in.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Iceberg wrote:W3 would feel more organic if ALL troops could get experience/levels and use items, instead of that being an ability reserved solely to the heroes, I think.
With the low unit level that might not work too well, if someone leveled up their army sufficiently they'd be completely impossible to stop.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

JediNeophyte wrote:Slightly OT, but this reminds of one of the few things C&C: Generals improves upon its predecessors, map control. My friend and I usually play no-superweapon games, so turtling is not really an option. With supply stashes and tech buildings, quick and decisive map control is a huge factor for victory.
Yeah, but the maps themselves are kinda dull. Symmetry is fine for, say, tournament maps or something like that, but they get really old.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Uraniun235 wrote:
JediNeophyte wrote:Slightly OT, but this reminds of one of the few things C&C: Generals improves upon its predecessors, map control. My friend and I usually play no-superweapon games, so turtling is not really an option. With supply stashes and tech buildings, quick and decisive map control is a huge factor for victory.
Yeah, but the maps themselves are kinda dull. Symmetry is fine for, say, tournament maps or something like that, but they get really old.
!? There's a bunch of asymmetrical maps! I haven't played in awhile, one is a 1v1 night map "Silent River" IIRC. Try downloading the bonus jungle map too.