Star Trek: Bridge Commander ROCKS!!!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Star Trek: Bridge Commander ROCKS!!!

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Holy shit... I've many times imagined the visuals one could get by pitting a GCS against an ISD -- this afternoon, I finally saw them. Well... Sort of.

Those of you who have played the game Star Trek: Bridge Commander know it has fucking SPECTACULAR visuals, and that the Quick Battle feature will let you pit anything in the game against practically anything else.

What you may not know is that this is probably one of THE most moddable games out there. www.bridgecommanderfiles.com has dozens upon dozens of downloadable ships, plus downloadable bride environments, crewmen, retextures and upgrades you could stare at until your eyes fall out.

For you vs. fans, they have B5 and SW ships. :shock:

This brings us to the aforementioned battle between GCS and ISD (Somewhere between Luna and the Spacedock in Earth orbit, of course.)

The fight was great to watch, if technically very inaccurate -- the ISD didn't really do much of anything except hang out and absorb phaser fire for about five minutes before lazily smacking the GCS. I would have expected something livelier.

Another complaint about the ISD is that it appears to be scaled too small -- it's only a third larger than the GCS, from what I could tell.

Still, minor complaints aside, this was the coolest thing I've seen on any screen in a long time. I highly recommend you check it out.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Well, an ISD is 1600m and a GCS is 640m. Got any screencaps?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I would expect something like this...
Image Image
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

used to hang out there all the time. I'll have to check it out later.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Dalton wrote:Well, an ISD is 1600m and a GCS is 640m. Got any screencaps?
I'll try to get one for you in the next day at most. Right now I'm consumed in a modding-related state of euphoria.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Its a really fun game for about three hours. Then it gets really boring.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The campaign mode is a bit annoying - the missions are too long, you kill this one, this one, that one, disable this one before it escapes, then you have to survive beating by 3 ships... and get everything right because if you fail at any, you have to start over. Feels like juggling balls.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

In multiplayer everyone uses the UFP designs with the occasional BoP. Whenever I used the Warbird I was shunned and/or banned from games... :roll:
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

That's because cloaking is cheating... :roll:
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

StarshipTitanic wrote:In multiplayer everyone uses the UFP designs with the occasional BoP. Whenever I used the Warbird I was shunned and/or banned from games... :roll:
:roll: That's typical. Shun the opposition who plays to win.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Howedar wrote:Its a really fun game for about three hours. Then it gets really boring.
Yeah, it's definitely a modder's game. You can replace and/or upgrade practically everything in the game (My GCS Bridge is a pretty accurate recreation of the one from "Yesterday's Enterprise") and add practically everything else you've ever seen in ST (I'm running an Enterprise Championship -- NX01 vs NCC1701 vs A vs B vs C vs D vs E, and so far NX01 took 1701 and A whomped the living fuck out of 01.) I've also added TOS-era and TMP-era bridges, and although they just turned out to be E-bridge retextures, they're okay to look at. The Excelsior bridge, though, is very nice.

I'm thinking of trying to find a Virtual Memory Manager, though, because running 3 ISDs against a Borg Cube is without a doubt going to choke the shit out of my system.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

It's pretty, but it's no sim.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

The one thing I wish they could do with it is merge it with Elite Force in some way, so that you could go on Landing Parties and blow shit up in a more up-close-and-personal sort of way...

That and make it so you could direct the angle of the main screen.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Really? I wish Totally Games had spent less time on fucking worthless gimmicks (OMG our ships have the warp blur!) and more time on making BC into a good simulation.

To each his own, I guess.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Uraniun235 wrote:Really? I wish Totally Games had spent less time on fucking worthless gimmicks (OMG our ships have the warp blur!) and more time on making BC into a good simulation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I also think the characters in the game are either very badly written, or the writers were deliberately catering to the hardcore, completely-disconnected-from-reality fanboys who actually go around wearing Starfleet pajamas in some venue or another. (One of these has recently crawled out of a hole somewhere and can now occasionally be seen in downtown Tempe. :roll: )

Still, I'm having a blast with the game and I haven't even played the first mission -- see, I have a horrible confession to make... I'm a mod addict. I can't get enough. Every time I see a game, I pounce on the menus. I look through the range of available options -- and no matter how wide that range is, I'm never satisfied.

So I look up the cheat codes. Sometimes I feel dirty doing it, but the remorse never lasts long. I play with the cheats, one at a time. Then I combine cheats. But even that isn't enough for long. The savage hunger must be sated. The mods are out there, and I inevitably find myself knee-deep in the rotten stuff, wading through directories, folders, GUI installers...

My version of Bridge Commander right now occupies over 650MB of my hard drive. I've added a fully-functional seperating GCS, about half a fucking fleet of new ships, a handful of new bridge modules, God knows how many new maps (The Badlands fucking rocks.) and upgrades. Madness!
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:Really? I wish Totally Games had spent less time on fucking worthless gimmicks (OMG our ships have the warp blur!) and more time on making BC into a good simulation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I also think the characters in the game are either very badly written, or the writers were deliberately catering to the hardcore, completely-disconnected-from-reality fanboys who actually go around wearing Starfleet pajamas in some venue or another. (One of these has recently crawled out of a hole somewhere and can now occasionally be seen in downtown Tempe. :roll: )

Still, I'm having a blast with the game and I haven't even played the first mission -- see, I have a horrible confession to make... I'm a mod addict. I can't get enough. Every time I see a game, I pounce on the menus. I look through the range of available options -- and no matter how wide that range is, I'm never satisfied.

So I look up the cheat codes. Sometimes I feel dirty doing it, but the remorse never lasts long. I play with the cheats, one at a time. Then I combine cheats. But even that isn't enough for long. The savage hunger must be sated. The mods are out there, and I inevitably find myself knee-deep in the rotten stuff, wading through directories, folders, GUI installers...

My version of Bridge Commander right now occupies over 650MB of my hard drive. I've added a fully-functional seperating GCS, about half a fucking fleet of new ships, a handful of new bridge modules, God knows how many new maps (The Badlands fucking rocks.) and upgrades. Madness!
Hehe, sounds like me... There's just not enough options! NEED MORE!!!!111

Last time I tried to install bridge commander it killed my computer (corrupted some file or some shit like that), which is why I'm talking to you now on this one.I loved the game, but never got around to modding it, stuff happened, I lost interest, and now, when I want to play it, I'm afraid it will make my dad's computer go boom..
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Heh heh heh... I guess it depends on where you got it and how you installed it... but that's a discussion for a Warez thread.
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Heh heh heh... I guess it depends on where you got it and how you installed it... but that's a discussion for a Warez thread.
It would be, had I not bought the game from Wal-Mart... Well, actually it was a gift, but still...
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.